Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Awesome thread :3:. I have a kind of nerdy question - how exactly do you differentiate 'sprint' and 'endurance' in sled dawg terms? I'm guessing what's a sprint to a husky team is pretty enduring for every single other breed that is not a sled dog :v:. Where does the Iditarod fall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

WolfensteinBag posted:

I don't remember exactly off the top of my head the differences in terms of miles, but I DO know that while the "sprints" are seriously still very long, they're under controlled situations (for the most part, anyway, as much as you can control the wild) and with a minimal load. The longer hauls are more functional, in that the dogs are expected to take a bunch of gear with them and they may be going over more unknown terrain, for longer distances (i.e. actual work vs. sport).

Interestingly enough, the Iditarod really is ridiculously long. I mean, if you think about it, the original dogs that ran were doing so in a relay style. It was a team of teams, passing the load at each checkpoint. It's nuts that it's done with just one team doing the whole thing, now, and I actually find it interesting that the sprinting Alaskans are the teams that typically do better with the race, despite this fact. However, the teams aren't toting a heavy load of antitoxins, either. ;) So really, I dunno.

I guess the best way to put it is Alaskans will RUNRUNRUNRUNRUN!!! where Siberians will pace themselves better. v :) v

Thanks for the explanation! Here are a couple of pictures from my aunt and uncle's sled dogging experience in northern sweden (I believe)

I do have some pictures that are not just butts. I believe it was a week long excursion, camping out each night. I remember them saying that they found it incredibly physically draining just keeping the sleds upright, esp. round corners and so forth. They were too tired each night to stay up and watch the Northern Lights and didn't see a thing! And sledding over ice creaking and cracking beneath you in the dark was terrifying. And the dogs were awesome. :3:

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Recently I visited a friend-of-a-friends house, and he owned a pariah dog his wife had found as a stray puppy while doing research in India. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera, but the dog was a generic medium sized yellow dog with prick ears (actually, one prick one flop :3:) and a curled tail. The dog had a lot of behaviours which some people (including me, I'm afraid :x ) would find to be a nuisance - he was very vocal and headstrong, a nuisance barker, pee-er, crotch-sniffer, digger and roamer - but he was very much loved and got on great with his family :3:. The roaming was a big problem, and they ended up having to get an electric fence installed in their (6+foot fenced) yard. He was awesome though, I wish I'd got pics.

Speaking of pariah dogs, feral populations have received a lot of attention from ethologists over the years - here's a nice intro chapter from the book 'The Behavioural Biology of Dogs' (2007)

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=SpkSd__EdKYC&lpg=PA147&ots=4l_tZMMUTb&dq=pariah&lr&pg=PA147#v=onepage&q&f=false

:)

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

Captain Log posted:

That's a picture from the 19th century. :) How can you all not see that cute idiot dog for what he is!? Nothing to be afraid of! He looks like he would consider all things very important.

..They didn't have colour photography in the 19th century ;). The dog is stuffed. And looks like Frankie so idk what Super is talking about :rolleyes:

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
What about something based on the word "Rogue"? Or "Brat" :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
"Rogue Remedies" ?

• Locked thread