Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Hooray!!! This should be an awesome thread. Looking forward to the Akita breed post most of all :D And pictures of everyone's primitive dogs :3:

One question though from the OP: "dogs from Asia have influences from Red Wolves." Red wolves only live in North America. All Asian wolves are grey wolf subspecies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

rivals posted:

when she gets excited she tries wagging her little curly tail really fast, it's damned adorable.

I love this, I called it helicopter tail :3:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Buddy's eyeliner is so glamorous :wink: He looks soooo soft, I wanna pet him!

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Anuv- posted:

I asked about him and the guy mentioned that he bred him himself, over time and during his research, because of his MS and his need for a guide dog. I forget the exact order, sadly, but I think it was several breedings between a German Shepherd, a malamute, husky, and a regular gray wolf or two. The end result was a crazy beautiful dog who seemed to have a great personality, if a little leery and shy.

I don't want to ball this genetic researcher crazy, but why would you want to combine primitive breeds + WOLF + very trainable breeds for a guide or support dog? That seems really weird.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Sock Weasel posted:

I'm heading up to Crufts this Sunday for the utility group wooo. I promise to bring back ridiculous amounts of akita and shiba pics. :dance:

YES! I am excited!

Edit: and I guess I will be ok with pictures of other breeds too.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

That is a beautiful dog! I am such a sucker for those tiny Shar-Pei ears but I never liked the crazy wrinkleface. But Maxim looks great.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Some animals can be kind of cute when they are pudgy, but Sage looks awful :(

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Oooh Ben is gorgeous! My neighbors have a husky the same colour as Ben and his mom. I just love the white eyelashes :3: Are Ben's eyes hazel?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Kiyo is GORGEOUS!!!

Maybe I'm biased because my childhood dog Seko was a fawn like her :3: :3: More pictures please!

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Hdip posted:

Chows are supposed to be lazy? My husky chow mix sure isn't

Huskys are the opposite of lazy.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

How much exercise do Shibas and Akitas require? I love the look of them, but I couldn't handle a real high-energy dog.

I had an Akita when I was a child. She was a backyard dog (I know :( )that I took on occasional walks to a park. Seko had to stay on leash at all times, because of the whole "laughing while giving the finger" thing primitives do. She would happily jog behind a truck when we were puttering around looking for grouse (this was obv offleash), and she was also ok with exploring a park on leash with a kid.

My anecdote: Akitas need as much exercise as any large dog, on the easier end of the spectrum. I would say at least 2 x half hour walk a day, plus some off-leash time in a secure yard, when the dog is a mature adult.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

WolfensteinBag posted:

Anyone looking to adopt a former sled dog?
http://m.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/whistler-sled-dog-co-folds-operations/Content?oid=2464782
The company that took in the remaining dogs after that terrible "culling" incident awhile ago is folding, now they need to place 86 dogs. The contact information is in the link.

86 aging working huskies :smith: I don't know tons about sled dog-type huskies, but this seems terribly sad. Where are they going to go?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

WolfensteinBag posted:

Here, please enjoy this video of Buddy cleaning up:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151576628641989

Good boy Buddy :3:

He looks so soft and furry. It makes me miss the Akita coat my old dog had. GSDs just aren't the same *sigh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Kiri koli posted:

Regardless if you are overreacting, I would argue that crating may be the nicest thing you can do for your dog at this point. Your boyfriend is probably thinking that being crated would be sooo boring and all dogs want to run free, but even if you have one of those rare dogs who can entertain themselves for hours when people aren't around, your new pup is probably feeling a lot of uncertainty right now. She's still adjusting and probably feeling a fair amount of insecurity. A crate would give her her own space, where predictable things happen while you are gone. Stressful events can trigger hormones that last in the body for days, so if she's feeling at all anxious, you're doing her a disfavor by leaving her to her own devices. Weigh potential boredom versus peace of mind.

And it's not like crating now means crating forever. Crating training is great for other things too, like surprise trips where your dog needs to be contained. If they're already comfortable in a crate, then life is that much easier.

All of this. And most dogs will settle into a routine of sleeping all day when the people are at work. During the time I have been jobless, my dogs have laid around like happy slugs even though I am home. They would be equally as happy in a crate, and in fact I now have to kennel Delta because she forgot what being housetrained means. She goes straight in and is very happy to be there. Even when we are home in the evening, sometimes she will choose to go lay in the open crate instead of on the couch.

• Locked thread