Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

Interesting. My buddy has a i7-3960X overclocked to 4.2GHz (Or around there). Would it be comparable to a stock Skylake i7 in most applications or would Skylake just stomp all over it?

It moreso depends on the threading. I believe Skylake does kick the old SB-E in Single Threaded stuff at this point (might be by more when stock then overclocked, and with an X he should be able to get way more than just 4.2Ghz) but in multi-threading, he should be able to come out ahead pretty well since he has a full 6 vs 4.

Now how Quad Channel DDR3 compares to Dual Channel DDR4 on a Skylake, well that's something I haven't looked at. Haswell-E has Quad DDR4 though so it's not like Skylake has a definite advantage there either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Quad channel DDR4 should have a definitive advantage over dual channel, no? That other video earlier showing that faster RAM would result in like 10ish percent of more performance, double the amount of channels should surely result in more?

--edit:
AIDA64 lists 42GB/s on a 5820K with quad channel CL15 DDR4-2133 vs. 30GB/s on a 6700K with dual channel CL14 DDR4-2133. Of course, this doesn't tell me if latency improved. Nevermind, there's a latency section, and the 6700K has lower.

--edit2:
vvv Well, that guy in the video benchmarked framerates in video games and got higher ones with the faster RAM. How does that not count?

Yea I was curious about this too last night. Tinkering with my own Mushkin 993996 kit's I was trying to see if I could get it to run at 1T as with 8 slots full at 4.6Ghz, I was getting 52GB/s I believe in AIDA64, however my latency was like 52ns and I saw a review mention switching to 1T dropped that down to around 41ns which from my DDR2 days on my Q9550, was a pretty huge performance boost.

Sadly my system didn't like that at all and promptly full power off reboots itself as it is loading windows. :(

Maybe if I went down to 4.4Ghz, or if I look around all the options for my P9X79 Deluxe and see if I am missing some tunable option or messing up my RAM Timing Math like I was on my X48 all those years ago...

I am pretty sure I am not CPU bound in any true way currently, but I'd like to make sure everything is working as efficient as possible come VR...

What is cool is just getting it up to 4.6ghz again gets me to 5.7 SteanVR Bench with a single 780 which is on the verge of that green bar.

However now 3DMark is saying that there is a timing invalidity after a test at random. So I may be pushing her a bit harder than she can take fully stable now... Just need to alot like 5hrs to go back through all the options again and lookup all the resources online I can find from the old days that isn't a stupid 1.5vcore and crank it up to 4.8 that seemes to be everywhere. Ugh.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 24, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Captain Hair posted:

I think you might need to check if the mono can even take a quad core cpu, Google told me some of their motherboards only support core2duo.

If the board can take it though then a core2quad, of say 2.5ghz and above should do reasonably and might be cheap off eBay or Craigslist? That and a 750ti would probably be a big boost.

Or go cheap modern skylake so that it's more upgradable?

Make sure you check your psu too.

Even with that C2D, a upgrade to a 560ti or higher will be a good boost (just did this for a buddy with a Q6600 chip and a 460 as well. The 560Ti is a big boost and something like a 750Ti would be huge.

However any games that are multi-threaded over 2 cores might finally be choked so if you can find if the board supports it, and a quad chip for cheap, then you might be good.

if you have a Frys nearby of Newegg Premier, you could always "rent" a part and see how it performance in the system before committing completely.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

After looking around, I have to agree, the 750 was great for power conscious and has some of the new Maxwell features, but overall at 560Ti would be a better upgrade over a 460.

A 760 or a 950/960 would be a better long term upgrade of course. I have a GTX760 in my HTPC and I am impressed at how much rear end that little card can kick. But all those cards are $175+ alone. :/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

An XPS 13 with an bolt-on GTX980 at home would be something I would seriously consider getting. Especially if you plug it in and the system re-configures itself without needing a reboot.

This... Would be something I could be interested in.

In a way. Usually where I want to use my "Gaming Laptop" is on a trip to visit family or something where I can get away for a while, or when I go to a LAN and don't want to lug around a ton of extra bits. So while I don't need a "Gaming XPS" it would be intriguing...

Now a XPS 13 with a decent onboard GPU (Say a 960M like all the low end "gaming" 15" laptops currently) in that 12.5" body. That would be something. Maybe with the new Pascale chip with the HBM2? That would be wicked.

Also, since the Dell does have a full Thunderbolt USB-C port on it, what would be keeping it from working with the Core for the Razer ultrabook? (Besides say a Bios update?) (A neat ultrabook sure, but those bezels really kill its look. The XPS 13 currently is unmatched)

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 14, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

The IGP seems to be a crapshoot in that regards. I ran two dedicated GPUs. Well, it was necessary, with what the -E's not having built-in graphics. One cheap rear end low power GT720 to boot with and a GTX780 to toss between Xorg and Windows (my script shut down Xorg before firing up the Windows VM). Curious that it even worked the way I was using it, because the dude maintaining VFIO swears up and down that you cannot dynamically unbind the nvidia driver.

I wanted to eventually figure out how to unbind the console framebuffer and try to reuse the primary graphics device, but I gave up before I got to that. Maybe later this year, when I have a second SSD.

Would you need any more 780's? I have 2 Reference PNY's I am currently selling. :)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Only one HDMI per display (dual monitor setup), otherwise two high powered GPUs might be an idea. :(

? DVI adapters or a DP -> HDMI doesn't work?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well the 780 comes with a DVI -> VGA adapter in the box. :v: (and a CD-R of the at then drivers and nothing else. You bought a GPU and that's all you get these days unless there is some Nvidia Game Promo going on).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Saw there was a new XPS 13 with that on the top i7 Model. Looks like a good chip for an IGP.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea its like the only PC device with an Iris Pro that I can think of and its a reasonably good IGP chip from the looks of it. Even the Iris 540 isn't terrible.

The thing about that Razer Core though is the price ($499!?!) and the fact that you are limited to PCI-E 3.0 @ 4X. Which if each PCI-E Standard is double the last, that means it is as fast as PCI-E 1.0 X16 which was good years ago, but throwing anything better than a 970 in there seems like it would bottleneck the hell out of it.

Still faster than an IGP, but id like to see the reviews comparing different cards in there. The drop off after a 970 I would think would make a 980/980TI/Titan X look almost the same as it can't be fed enough to let loose. Will be interesting to see.

What I really want to see though is the Core working with an XPS 13. Pair the best Ultrabook with Razer's Core and welp. Razer might have burned themselves by trying to make a Ultrabook but their Addon might get some good attention then. :/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

KingEup posted:

I don't see how bottlenecking is a problem. We have adaptive sync these days and as long as your minimum FPS is not dropping below say 40 fps you aren't going to notice.

Looking forward to the new NUC. Here's hoping it will run DOTA2 on high settings at 1080p.

Edit: some Razer Core benchmarks here:

While the Core offers performance way above what you would be seeing with a "M" graphics chip currently, the entire laptop performance isn't going to feed the card what it can potentially take, either with CPU limits, or eventually the 4X limit.

Overall its great for gaming, but it's not enough for VR.

Guru3D's R9 Nano Review

And I agree that CPU performance jumps just really haven't happened since the C2Q days to the first few i7 generations. Hell my 3930K is able to hold its own against a 5930K with only a modest OC and with a larger overclock, can complete against OC'ed ones still.

The biggest gains have been on the chipset side with native 3.0(.1), DDR4, M.2, etc.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hell my C2Q 9550 Oced to 3.84 (2.84 stock) ran about the same with an SSD. Everything was instantaneous as far as basic usage was concerned.

The only downside was the hacky way to get SLI to work on a X48 chipset, and the fact that even OC'ed, it wasn't powerful enough to really feed GPU's faster than a 580 or so at the time.

Gave it to my Sis to do Photoshop stuff and it works like a charm for that to this day. Need to replace the SSD in it as its an old one without the Trim FW installed to it yet lol, but to upgrade it, you have to wipe the drive. Might just put in the old Plextor M3P's I just took out of my system as I needed more space then the Raid-0 240G they provided for these past years.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I've got an I5-2500 non-k that's coming up on 5 years old now. Since OC'ing isn't an option, I take it an upgrade to Skylake is probably a good idea when I build my VR rig in a month or so? Should I go for an OC-able chip this time?

It is usually worth it if you buy a good motherboard and CPU cooler, OC'ing allows you to pull a good bit of extra performance out of your chip. If you would have had a K version of your chip, you would potentially have still been good for another year or two with a solid OC.

And with the quality of some of the self contained water coolers out there now that are like 2 piece air coolers really, it is rather easy to keep things reasonably cool too.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Vive requires a DP 1.2 port, which should be on pretty much any videocard out these days.

HDMI or DP. It can use either.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

sincx posted:

One of my college buddies just upgraded last December from his 2.8 Ghz Conroe (built in 2008) to Devil's Canyon and a GTX 970. He only did it because he's one of the lead project managers for Oculus and he figured he should have something that can run the Rift at home.

Lead PM for Oculus? May I ask how he got into that gig?

Been trying to break into the VR market myself for ages since the KS, but timing and job position just doesn't seem to align for me. :(

That and now I seem to only be able to apply through the Facebook Careers page now which I haven't had much luck with.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

sincx posted:

He got an internship with Google in college, went to Google full-time right after graduation as a project manager, and then moved on from there.

This is why I regret working in IT through college and not doing an Internship somewhere else for something not IT Admin geared. drat it makes changing paths a pain in the rear end. Good for him though.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Gets out checkbook

Yes..... Do I need it? No..

Do I want it? Yes..

Also

Captain Hair posted:

Q9550 @ 3.6ghz here and yeah, these old quads still hold up strong. I'm only on a 560ti and I've noticed cpu bottleneck on games that are cpu intensive but most stuff runs fine. Not sure how well it would run with a modern graphics card fitted though, I'm pretty certain it would be more noticeable.

Also the was a major pain to get the overclock stable, whereas my nephews 6600k skylake for example was effortless to overclock.

And of course being on ddr2 will slow things down somewhat, I'm on 8gb of 1066mhz which I got waaaay back when I was on a core2duo and was amazed to find 8gb still the standard all these years later. Iirc I used to use the same 8gb of ram as a ram - drive, which I guess was kinda like having ssd speeds before ssd s existed. Was interesting times.

Getting that Q9550 to OC properly was a bit tricky, you have to tackle the Math that handles the DDR2 in the overclock to get everything working dandy or else you're pushing voltages needlessly in some areas and leaving a lot of performance on the table with improper settings because lower ones appear less stable, when instead you're just breaking the formula somewhere causing it to crash. I dug up the old OC guide that went over it all on overclock.net. Man once I dialed in my Mushkin Blackline to 1081Mhz on a 1:1 OC, the system oc'ed to 3.84ghz easier than 3.6 and at 1.25vcore to boot (It vDroops from the setting I have listed in that post a bit, but I think the 1.25v happens when idle and 1.325 when loaded). It runs fantastic.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

PBCrunch posted:

I've been fooling around with some craigslist Core 2 Duo machines. If the machine is new enough to support Penryn chips (45nm, 1333 MHz bus), chances are it will accept a similar Xeon chip with some simple modifications. You have to put a sticker on the bottom of the CPU, cut the little orientation tabs off the LGA 775 socket, and put the new CPU in a different orientation (gold triangle facing same direction). This tiny bit of work nets you mad street cred, plus the abililty to pick up the equivalent (X5450) of a Q9450 for like $20 shipped. If you have a low-end C2D or Pentium, this could buy you another year. The best chips are quad core, near 3 GHz, and have 12MB on chip cache.

The socket modification is pretty easy and safe if you use another LGA 775 chip as a protector. I used a Core 2 Duo e6300 as a guide. If you are afraid and don't have any extra 775 CPUs around, you can get an LGA 775 Pentium Dual Core for $3 shipped. The sticker is easy to apply. Just apply one end and then use the blunt part of a razor blade to nudge it into place.

I forgot some stuff between reading about the mod and ordering parts; I rotated the chip so the tabs aligned instead of the triangle. The machines I tried this on wouldn't boot, but there was no permanent damage. After rotating the chip, and systems worked.

If you have an old LGA 1156 system, there are 4C/8T Xeon chips for less than $35 shipped. This could buy some extra time for a dual core machine. I sold my i5-750 (4C/4T, same clockspeed) for more money than it cost to get a Xeon X3450. Plus Xeon bragging rights.

That's neato. Hows the OC headroom on those Xeon chips as those old platforms allowed it quite easily?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Captain Hair posted:

Oooh yeah! Iirc that's usually done when graphics settings are at minimum. Even on my aging 560ti I don't need minimum settings quite yet. Does remind me though that when messing around in a certain game recently minimum graphics did bottleneck my cpu completely, I think it could have been Wreckfest.

And yeah dialing in overclock on q9550 is an odd duck. My core2duo was simple but not the quad.

My bios supports 2 overclock setting profiles so handily I can have 3.6ghz on one of them for games that ran stable at that speed (ksp, mad max) and one at 3.0ghz for the ones that need more stability (Wreckfest, Xcom 2, Skyrim etc) along with different graphics card overclock profiles and now things are reasonable.

Oddly ksp loooves my cpu overclock but hates any kinda graphics oc, Skyrim hates cpu overclock but loves gpu oc! Or maybe those were the other way around... either way both games appear to use cpu/gpu to %100 at times so who knows.

Follow my OC guide I posted a bit earlier. If your motherboard supports most of the same options, you could have a perfect and faster overclock possible and you just had a setting or two set incorrectly the whole time.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Also I would put Plextor above a Sandisk. Have been running their drives for a while and put a few in a few friends systems and they continue to perform well and remain reliable. Never really seen anything good come out of sandisk since every SD/Mini/Micro card I have ever gotten from them has been crap and the SSD that is in my Acer W500 is also a piece of crap but upgrading it always seems to break the drat Sleep mode of the darn thing.

But I did replace my Plextors with a pair of 850 EVO's so +1 for Samsung I guess. Intel drives are good, but pricey for similar performance. Though I need to contact a few Intel employee buddies and see what they can get them for.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

nostrata posted:

I've been really pleased with the Samsung 850s, so I'll be getting one of those to throw in the NUC, probably the 500GB one. Probably also getting 32G of ram as well, not so much because I "need" that much ram for reading the forums and playing a few old games. But like was said before this my fun toy so I might as well go all out.

Got two 850 500G's and they are fast as hell in Raid 0. Price is a sweet spot too currently.

Also with 32G I think that would call for a Ramdisk if you're not spinning up a few VM's or doing Video/Picture rendering no?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I have 32G in my X79 system because... Quad Channel memory looks sick when you have 8 full slots, and I have never needed a swap file ever again, even with VM's running.

Even works at 2133 with the CPU oc'ed to 4.6Ghz, just can't run 1T which is a bummer. :(

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That is pretty crazy. Skylake does seem to be good for gaming for sure, but really driver optimization and especially the eventual rollout of DX12 might change that a lot for the multicore crowd. We will have to see.

A while back I did some 3D Mark comparisons of my 3930K at 4.6Ghz vs a 5960X at 4.4Ghz, and outside of the 2 core difference that showed what I would expect for a difference there, the old SB-E chip was able to keep up. Multithreaded apps will definitely keep the higher core count chips relevant for longer, but hopefully DX12 will also do the same for gaming and allow games to use all available resources rather then just relying on the fastest 1/2 core like they have for the past DX9-11 era.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Saukkis posted:

On the other hand future-proofing RAM is silly since it's the most easy upgrade you can do on a computer as long as you haven't filled all the slots. Fill half of the slots and then buy more when you need it or when the price of the DIMMs stops dropping.

It would be more worthwhile to put that money on a bigger SSD, which is a bit annoying to upgrade.

Not necessarily. The hardest part about doing some now, more later is the fact that matching ram later can be a pain in the rear end when they stop making that same kit/speed combo at a later date. Sure you can mismatch and not have a problem at stock usually, but when you want to extend the life and OC, having mismatched ram can be a royal pain in the rear end. I almost got burned on that back when I did my current rig. I had 16 and later was thinking of maxing it out for some VM work. Finding the matching kit a year later was tough but luckily possible.

Upgrading an SSD however is peanuts if you have a extra storage drive to make a Windows Backup too. Just backup an Image to a separate drive, swap the SDD's, restore, and you are off. I did just this going from 2 120G Plextor M3P's to 2 500G 850 EVO's. Once you image it over, expand to the new size and you're done. Speed didn't change a whole bunch, (M3P's were drat fast drives) but the open space I have now is so much nicer.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

wipeout posted:

I wonder if the next gen of high end GPUs will show similar results in SLI comparing haswell e to skylake. I think I'll base my decision on whether to get big haswell or skylake based on that.

With SLI and the next gen cards, you might want to wait and take a good look at the PCI-E 3.X lane usages. Especially if you are interested in VR. With Skylake still limited to 8X speeds in SLI, the GPU image transfer latency goes up a lot when they are limited to the slower speeds on even older cards (680's etc) so on faster current gen and future gen cards, it may become an even bigger deal with more demanding games and larger frame data.

Sure current GPU's can't saturate the lanes between the CPU and GPU's, but GPU to GPU, that is where the speed matters now that VR is here and frametime means everything. X79/X99 can run SLI at full 16X where Skylake will only do 8X and until that changes, you may want to stick with Haswell/Broadwell-E when it arrives.

Though if You want a Skylake i7 Right Now

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 13, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

best you're getting is probably another PCIE m.2 port and boards that ship with new bios

Exactly.

When IB-E arrived, Asus pretty much just dropped one killer X79 that was an improvement in pretty much every way on my board. The X79 Deluxe (A evolution of the very good P9X79 Deluxe)

I was really tempted to get that board because it seemed to have everything I really wanted for a X79 board, but back when I built mine, it was a batter between the P9X79/Deluxe/WS/Extreme whatever. Then they go and build this and put in pretty much the best of all their stupid options. :argh:

However X79/X99 board are just not cheap, but they have been feature filled. The Asus X99 Deluxe isn't going to leave you wanting. And the X99 Rampage is just an OC'ers dream but drat have they gotten stupid expensive.

Also remember that the 5820K doesn't have as many PCI-E Lanes as the 5930K. 28 vs the full 40. Another stupid thing to keep in mind when getting a X99 setup for SLI/CF. :/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

LmaoTheKid posted:

Macrium can expand the partition during the clone.

How much does this cost over the free Windows Backup method? I could see a direct clone getting you up quicker but at what cost?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

I'm curious to exactly who's getting laid off, supposedly its more so on the software side and at one point Intel tried to make a Netflix competitor that failed.

People wont know until between 60 days or up to not until 2017, so it kinda sucks either way since everyone knows they are coming, but have no idea where it will happen.

It seems to be emphasized on "Global Workforce" so I wonder if it is more trimming the outsourced parts, or just means nobody is safe no mater where you are.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 20, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

mmkay posted:

Something I've been wondering for a while - how many Intel employees are on SA?

I'm a contractor here, so far it looks like I am good as I got extended till Dec before this, but you never know with a large Corp either way.

Sadly as a Contractor, I am sort of left out of the loop on all the real Intel inside news and goodness so I have to rely on my Intel buddies here for details, inside job postings, etc. :/

It's a foot in the door at least, but it looks like it may not open for a while at this rate.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I cannot say I have ever seen a production VCD ever here in the states. It was VHS->DVD->HD-DVD (Briefly) + BluRay.

I thought VCD was more of a home video burned sorta thing, and I also completely missed the Laserdisk tech as well. First time I physically got to see one was at a flea market. :(

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

It was really big overseas and in piracy in the early 200s, where if you had a lovely SD-TV and s-video out you could get a 2-disk copy of whatever the latest movie was, and it was in pretty ok quality. Most of the china-best DVD players of the era could do all the VCD/SVCD formats, in addition to telling macrovision to eat a bag of dicks and being completely region free. A lot of them later had early DivX codec support, where you could run the really early avi versions of the 4CC codec encodes.

Ha back in that day the way we would copy VHS rentals was with old 8m tape on a mini tv. Made it handy for portability and such for us kids.

Wonder where that darn tv is at now? Last I remember it still works. Hmm

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

At the Intel Lanfest event this past weekend, they had a Skull Canyon NUC on display to demo with a few games and whatnot. They installed Windows 10 and loaded up Steam and ran some Rocket League at 1080P on it. Ran rather well once it was all dialed in for a while at least.

Then later in the event, I noticed the Mouse moved, but the game and everything else was pretty much hard locked.... Power Cycled it, and something had died with the /BCD Directory I believe (showing a BSOD for that upon bootup/post).

Not sure what happened, or what SSD they were using, but yea that ended that display like mid Saturday lol.

I also have a CoWorker who ordered this Nuc for me to build for her before she "Retires" and wanted something small and fast to last her a long time. Was about to buy a Velocity Micro PC instead so I just guided her toward the Nuc and she fell in love. (The Skull probably did it).

1 NUC + 32G DDR4 and a 512G 950 should make that thing feel fast as hell for a long, long time... Look forward to getting my hands on that thing for sure.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Also sometimes you can push up a few hundred mhz without needing to bump the voltage which shouldn't take too much power/create too much heat for a mild boost.

If anything you could always move out of that case down the line into some other system, add a hsf/psu, and last another 2+ years with a real 1Ghz OC or so. All depends on usage though and even then, Sandy Bridge (and SB-E) still are not irrelevant chips even stock because the performance gains per generation are only ~10% and unless you are gaming/encoding, you really won't notice much, however, OC'ing does give the chip potential of going another tier/generation or 2 faster which can extend it's useful life. A locked CPU is pretty much as good as it's going to get, the day you buy it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I was just sorta pissed internally about the i3/5/7 being used with the U and yet everything being a dual core part. I wish Intel would have just stuck with letting the i7 remain a true Quad Core and left the i3/i5 as the U/DC parts. The naming scheme really has irked me since the SandyBridge era and they keep messing with it. (Now the 3960X/4960X/5960X being replaced by a 6950X? WTF!? and the 3930K/4930K/5930K by, the 6900K?!) The -E Series was the last bit of true naming that made sense since Nehalem Series. :(

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

BobHoward posted:

Man people hold the longest grudges about the oddest things. Far as I can tell from ARK, they've been using i7 for high end dual core mobile parts since Q1 2010, which happens to be the same time they started using i3/i5/i7 branding on mobile parts at all.

Far as I've ever been able to tell, i3/i5/i7 really mean good/better/best within a market segment, with other brands like Pentium used for products they want to position below "good".

And back in 2010 the i7 Mobile chips were still i7 QM's which were Quad Mobile. Then they came out with the U series i7 which then shoved the i# chips into a dual core realm, but really blurred the lines for anyone but those that really look the specs up, to know what the difference is except for exactly "Good/Better/Best" but leaves much less to know what the hell that actually means.

In the conventional 2c/4t 4c/4t and 4c/8t style of the i3/i5/i7, it all made sense and I still feel they should have instead added i#'s for more cores. Or hell, just made the i# series count for the core count of the drat chips instead. i2/i4/i6/i8?

But alas, I guess I would have to really sit in on the meetings for whoever is responsible for these naming schemes to actually get an idea of what their logic is behind it besides brand confusion. If a IT Enthusiast gets sort of confused/baffled by the names a bit, the average Joe has to be just going for Larger # + $ and judging from there, which in this day and age, can still burn you unless you know what you need it for, and the sales guy isn't a complete toolbag.

All I know personally, is outside of mobile, I am sticking with -E CPU's for all my builds personally. And even mobile I want a Q chip before I get a U chip in anything besides a XPS13.

Now, in other news, a co-worker apparently has gotten his hands on a few test 10core chips... I shall do everything in my power to get my hands on one of those, that and another friend has Kaby Lake test rigs already so I might see if I can take a gander at those too.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Instant Sunrise posted:

Which means you're gonna need a decently powerful CPU to run broken resource-hogging Javascript.

This.

And considering Chrome/Opera tab handling while improved, still eats memory like a friggin pig. (Opera has gotten vastly better in it's Beta's however. AdBlocking/VPN/BatteryMode/Delayed Tab Loading/ :woop: )

12G in my work laptop and 3437U, and it still can chug along quite a bit at times.

You are paying for the "performance vs size/design" though in a lot of recent Ultrabooks for sure, so if you want a Quad, you get a 15" laptop around the $1200+ mark, and if you want a 13" you're stuck with a dual core but sexy small laptop for the same price. (Going off the XPS 15 vs 13 here)

I like how Intel has the new Core M chips that make sense for what they are designed to do, and hell, with active cooling they are within spitting distance at times of the U series chips if not passing them at times. They made great improvements with them over the BW versions, but until they are put into more active cooled laptops, they are stuck being zippy for short bit chips, and then you are back to the U series.

If Intel kept the i Series true to their name/cores, then made the U series a freaking series all its own. U3/U5/U7 (U For Ultrabook perhaps?) and the M series for exactly what it is, Mobile, then all would be well IMO.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Considering I can watch as Facebook makes the system runs slower and slower left open on a single tab as it eats memory for whatever reason.

Joe/Jane Average Consumer will be buying the appropriate Quad Atom/Pentium/i3/i5 system for $200-500 for 5 tab browsing. When you get the less average user shooting for an i7 powered system, and expect them to pay $1000-2400 for it, he is probably looking to do a lot more than just have 5 tabs open. In the Surface Pro world, they probably are doing some office and Adobe stuff too. Where the 8+GB of ram comes in as a requirement, and having a quad core could be a huge saving grace if they could have that option.

The Size/Performance range is getting better with a lot of thin 15"ers coming with Quads and Dedicated 960M's (Hopefully 1070M's next?), but you still have a dual core i7 being only a bit faster than a i5 or even i3 sometimes. (usually just a lot more power usage instead unless you get the iris Pro's for the higher end i7's)

All I am saying, is I wish they made the names make a little more sense based on what they are putting them into.

i3/i5/i7 (Remain Dual/Quad/Quad+HT)

U3/U5/U7 (Ultrabook chips currently. All 2C + HT but different IGP+Cache/speeds/Turbo)

M3/M5/M7 (Fanless Mobiles currently, but potentially can replace the U series from the looks of it.)

Z3/Z5/Z7 (Atom Mobile chips, but similar to the U series, not a huge difference in core speed between versions, more on the Cache/GPU side it appears)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Or you can just use Opera Beta with native AdBlocking and Delayed Tab Loading. :v:

But really, web browsing may use some Ram, but with 16-32G being an easy $60-100 investment that should allow you to browse freely while doing whatever the hell you want otherwise.

Hell I can RipBot a bluray while playing WarThunder with ~40tabs open in Opera and not experience a hitch. 32G Ram + 6 SB-E Cores works wonders for multitasking still.

What puzzled me, is my GF's dad made his own system that looks to be using a Ivy Bridge i5K series, 16G ram, a SSD, and a R7 370, but drat did that PC seem to be choked to all hell just trying to run CODMW3 and doing some sort of video library caching in the background. (You can watch the FPS go from 60, down to 30-40s in the menu, and back up from whatever was running in the background.)

I feel it was some issue with Windows 7 and WMP that was screwing him up and I set him up with Plex to see if that would help, but that system really was just running like crap.

I blame Windows 7 as I have seen more than 1 install of that just poo poo the bed similar to ways I have seen XP in the past lately. Ugh.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea even IB-E wasn't that huge of a upgrade on SB-E except they fixed all the stuff they half rear end not quite finished in X79. (Actual Certified PCI-E 3.0 support being the main thing I believe).

With X99 being a pretty feature filled setup already, BW-E ended up being just a core count bump and maybe a little power savings. Overclocking will be interesting to find out though. Will that 10 core be able to get anywhere above 3.5Ghz I wonder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Can someone explain to me what this Turbo Boost Extreme 3.0 tech might be compared to the normal turbo max frequency shown in the slide here?

And man those prices are getting stupid. I really do hope that Zen can do something, anything, to Intel's dominance as they are just getting stupid greedy now. Even at a 50% discount it is still freaking expensive for the top two chips. (the only ones I would get if I did a new build from my still spunky 3930K...)