Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

k-uno posted:

A quantum computer is capable of solving certain classes of problems vastly more quickly than any possible classical computer, precisely because of the superposition principle. The speedup from a quantum algorithm ranges from polynomial (searching a non-ordered list of N elements for a specific value takes ~N queries on a classical computer, versus ~N^(1/2) on a quantum computer) to sub exponential (factoring large numbers is polynomial on a quantum computer, sub exponential with the best known classical algorithm). The hand-wavy reason for this is that the superposition principle allows you to do calculations with an insane degree of parallelism. Imagine that you have one bit, and you want to operate with some function on both 0 and 1. In a classical computer, this means you have to run the function twice, but in a quantum computer, you can set a qubit (quantum bit) to be both 0 and 1 at the same time, and operate on both values in a single function call. For one bit, this is a factor of two increase, but for, say, 32 qubits, you can arrange a superposition of all 2^32 ~ 4 billion possible configurations simultaneously, and operate on all of them in one step. Now, the catch is that the result you get when you measure the state at the end of the algorithm is random, but if you choose your algorithm cleverly, the "wrong" configurations can interfere destructively making the random result heavily biased toward the problem solution.

I don't think we'll see a real, commercial quantum computer for at least 5 years though (d-wave's machine is more like an FPGA built out of superconductors and whether there's any quantum speedup or not isn't really clear), because the catch is that these superpositions are very delicate, and if the state of a qubit is measured at any time (e.g. through a random interaction with the environment), then it's frozen into one of the values and the superposition is lost. This can be compensated with quantum error correction protocols but they require thousands of redundant qubits to be scalable, and most current experiments are on 5 qubits or less.

So, magic. Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Lowen SoDium posted:

The console CPUs currently are not being utilized as well as they could be. AMD's Jaguar is pretty low performance, so developers have little choice but to multi-thread as much of their workload as they can to get as much performance out of the consoles as they can. I think we can expect to see some of this work show up on PC ports eventually.

I know I probably sound like I am saying "Just multithread your games, developers, shesh!" but I really do understand the complexities and non-linear performance gains that multithreading brings. But I really do think that some developers will come up with ways that use nearly all of the CPU resources available to them in order to make the prettiest or best performing games they can on the new consoles. It will probably be a while, though. And chances are equally good those games may never get a PC port.

I always forget about hyperthreading because it's performance gains are not very high. But you are probably right that Haswell cpus are so much faster in clock speed and in clock-for-clock performance compared to Jaguar, that a 5 or 6 thread application would probably still run faster on a 4 core Haswell chip.

Yeah, I have read that too, though I don't remember it being 3 cores. I was thinking it was 2.

The choice in CPU seems like an odd one.

Say you were building a PC. Is there any particular task you'd choose that particular CPU for?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Crossposting from the Parts Picker thread, Microcenter has the 4690k on sale for $179 right now.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/434177/Core_i5-4690K_35GHz_LGA_1150_Boxed_Processor

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Krailor posted:

If you have free water you could probably just hook your loop directly into the water line and not even need a radiator, pump, or reservoir. Just let the city's water pressure do all the work for you.

You'd still have to run plumbing into the room with the computer and it would make it really hard to move your computer to another location but it'd be an interesting experiment.

Running tap water through a CPU block isn't a fantastic idea, though.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Fat_Cow posted:

So I have a Intel Core i5-4690 currently and am looking for upgrades. Should I wait till the next generation comes out in late 2016?

Yes.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I wish they charged less for their 'desk' cases. I could give a gently caress less about the ones with motors that raise and lower the surface on cue, but the ones that can house two different systems side by side would be nice.

I would love to do my next build as a desk case but yeah there don't seem to be any under a thousand freaking dollars

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Kazinsal posted:

:gizz:

I'm still waiting to see how good of an overclocker the 1700 and 1700X are. If the 1700 can overclock past 4 GHz, then hoo boy, it's time for me to finally get off SB-E.

The rumors point to the answer being almost definitely a no. Allegedly, there's very little OC room.

But the issues might be thermal rather than chip limits so maybe watercoolers will take off here.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Couldn't you just use a non-conductive TIM for that instead?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
So, uh, anyone know if Microcenter's extra warranty you can buy covers delidding? :haw:

edit: Also, Intel FX series confirmed?

Deuce fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 18, 2017

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

DrDork posted:

:iiam: I'd be easily persuaded that it was based on some fairly reasonable 3rd party cooler, but it doesn't say. Either way, AIO's cooling big chips better than air is pretty normal, so I'm really not seeing anything new or unexpected here: big-rear end 10C chip under reasonable loads hits in the 70-80's under reasonable cooling techniques. Nothing new there.

The only bit I found interesting at all was that they got virtually all 100 7740x's they had up to 5.1Ghz (albeit with a good bit of +v), once again showing that the OC headroom on the smaller chips, at least, should be significant.

Now, if the 10 core chips could hit those clocks, I'd probably buy one. But given the TIM issue I suspect that many cores running that strong will fry, if those clocks are even possible.

And I'm not really willing to delid a $1000+ processor.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Scarecow posted:

Like take this mobo for example

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/39404/gigabyte-x299-aorus-gaming-9-motherboard

3m.2 slots at 4x per comes to 12 right? Add in 2 sli 1080tis to be say 8x each thats 26pci lanes off the cpu you would need to use them all with out gping through the chipset right?

So at a minimum you have to buy a 7800x or a 7820x to have some pci laned left over to make use of anything else.

gently caress the concept of having a mobo that big parts of it you just cant use is loving retarded just because intel cut pcie lanes off

I have to buy a $400 processor to go with my $850 motherboard and $1600 worth of graphics cards and $400 minimum m.2 drives?

Madness.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

B-Mac posted:

I won't lie that 6c/12t CPU will be real tempting if 1. Coffee lake will support the z170 and 2. MSI updates my bios to support it.

Particularly if it manages the Kaby Lake ~5ghz clocks with some reliability.

I'm skeptical of its thermal limits, though. It's 50% more work being done in the same area. Kaby Lake is already hot, and you know full-well Intel is going to keep using that freaking cheap paste.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

eames posted:

If Intel cares about X299 they should work on a 6/8/10 perhaps even 12 core Coffee Lake X lineup with the "old" ringbus.

X299 is a failure because Intel rebadged datacenter-optimized Xeons, not expecting any competition. Or maybe they think the market is too small to put more effort into it.
That's why BW-E has a clock-for-clock advantage on most gaming workloads. Intel tried to make up for it with frequency and obscene power consumption but the results are obviously not great.

Shouldn't the IPC be about the same as Skylake/Kabylake? If you're able to keep thermals under control and clock the SL-X chips up to the ~4.5-5.7ghz range, they should do about as well as their 4-core mainstream counterparts in single-thread while obviously having the extra cores for multithreading like a champ.

...so if you're willing to delid a $1000 chip and put it on water you've got a solid operation. Intel. :downs:

Edit: And also if you live in like North Dakota you'll reduce your heating bill.

Or does that mesh connection really just gently caress everything up

Deuce fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 23, 2017

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Paul MaudDib posted:

Coffee Lake-X would be decent though. An i5 with 6/6 would be a whole different story.

Intel :downs: with i5 4/4, i7 6/6, i9 6/12 maybe

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Scarecow posted:

Its going to be gimped as gently caress due to intel not soldering their loving ihs on

If this thing is basically just six kaby lake cores in the same package, we're talking 50% more heat output. Going to be trouble. Delidding will continue to be popular! I have the tool for 1155/1151 so I expect it will work for these chips.

If Intel has given us a 6-core chip that can clock to 5ghz with Skylake's IPC (as opposed to Skylake-X's regression) then I am all over that poo poo. edit: especially if I can still use my z170 motherboard.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 30, 2017

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Intel really would just fill the space with glue.

*ahem* High stability thermal interface.

So stable it doesn't fuckin conduct heat.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Arivia posted:

Nah, I like Linus too. But his short, clickbaity videos aren't great for actual coverage, especially now with 3s long spreadsheet slides and so on. You'd go crazy for actual analysis.

Careful where you say that. In the "ticket came in" thread you'll be burned at the stake for this. Half of those guys seem convinced LTT is trying to pass itself off as a serious how-to tech channel because the word "tips" is in the title.

"Look at how dumb this server setup is! I can't believe they're telling people to do something so retarded!"
Literally the first sentences in the video: "The proper way to do this is (describes proper method) What we're going to do is craaaaazaaaaayyyyyyy"

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Koramei posted:

There aren't any crazy deals for Black Friday right? I hadn't planned on it, but I ended up buying half a computer, so I figure I might as well get the other half too, but I'd like to look into it a bit more rather than scrambling to get everything ready on the final day of the sales.

Also, I've heard the gains each generation have been pretty incremental but the newest stuff is still markedly faster than my i7 3770 (not K) right? Or am I wasting my money by upgrading now?

The really crazy deals are usually older equipment they want to dump. Can't hurt to check Newegg, but if you're looking for current gen stuff don't expect anything earth shattering.

New stuff is substantially faster, yes.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

fishmech posted:

There's like a 99.99% correlation between "people who think AI is an immediate threat that will destroy the world" and "people who would destroy the world instantly if you gave them the ability".

I mean... *gestures vaguely around*

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Lockback posted:

This is a really stupid derail.

:haw:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

priznat posted:

Going from socket 2011 to 3647 seems needlessly cruel.

Such a pain in the butt.

Let’s just call it socket 3k.
The one after that will be 4k

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
They're gonna start calling their non-HT lines security edition or some poo poo.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Paul MaudDib posted:

Not to mention leaving out AGP... the major standard for add-in graphics between the ISA and the PCIe eras... :what:

"Why should I get a motherboard with PCIe on it? What a scam, AGP is gonna be around for a while."

Me, buying the last generation of AGP graphics cards.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

3peat posted:

He'll would freeze over if it weren't for global warming https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20190621PD205.html

They must be going for the "their stuff is more expensive so it must be better" marketing plan.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

gradenko_2000 posted:

In pretty much all overclocking videos I've seen that work with liquid nitrogen, people seem to build like a receptacle on top of the CPU, and then they have a cooler or a tumbler full of nitrogen, and then just pour the stuff straight onto the CPU. Obviously the stuff evaporates, so you have to keep pouring more and more in over time, and it's a temporary thing.

out of curiosity, is there something like a closed-loop cooling system that uses liquid nitrogen? is that even possible?

If it's a closed system, ultimately all the heat needs to go to atmosphere somehow. Atmospheric temperature is way, way too hot for nitrogen to stay in liquid form, so you can't just use a radiator cooled by airflow. (thermodynamics, and whatnot)

So you need a cooling system capable of producing temperatures low enough to condense nitrogen. So... you need to have the machinery that produced the liquid nitrogen in the first place, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

gradenko_2000 posted:

IBM is already down to 2 nm chips, so the next step down is sub-1000 picometres

Perfect, number go up