Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Uthor posted:

Was anyone reading minus. when it ended? The author dumped like 20 pages and declared the series over with zero warning. It was shocking, but effective.

It was super wild. I think Minus is also mostly down except for wayback machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Minus was amazing, but I really am sad that we lost Great! when Kiwis by Beat went down. It was such an amazing webcomic about accepting that you can't always fulfill your dreams, and learning to accept that and be happy anyways. It's really the only piece of media I've seen that really directly addresses that instead of "if you just keep trying, you'll achieve your dreams!"

Yeah it's not as magical of a message, but it's so much more realistic and useful. Arguably it's an even happier message, since it's essentially saying "even if you don't achieve your dreams, you can be happy!"

I am SO angry I didn't actually go through and save all of Great! when it was still up, tbh.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I really hate to be anti-Gunnerkrigg but yeah, this entire chapter has just been a nothingburger so far. The big bad main (or second-to-main?) villain shows up and finally does SOMETHING--KILLS Renard's body while everyone watches powerless and horrified!

And then is just like okay well I did that now uh bye I guess and he leaves.

And then everyone looks at one another and they kind of wander off.

And then Renard says "I don't think I really cared about my body?"

And Annie says "Yeah, it wasn't very important, was it?"

I'm glad the last half-dozen pages were to no real emotional effect whatsoever??

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Well Annie and her mom share the same soul, and Renard was in love with Surma, so it would make sense he'd end up dating the daughter of his old crush, who manipulated his love to trap him, that seems wholly fine at this point nothing makes sense why not

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I just reread all of Gunnerkrigg and it's better than I was worried about, honestly. It's only in the Mind Cage things start to feel a bit rushed, and mostly because there's NO on screen resolution between Annie and her dad. They never actually talk out what they're going through, but it's ... almost okay, because Annie seems to get it and accept this is just how he is?

I don't think it's fair to just dismiss it as "oh he has social anxiety," I think Tony has some kind of autism-spectrum thing at minimum. I have a partner who is like that, who can be very gregarious and engaged with one or two people, but once there's more than like, three people in the room they just shut down and can no longer function. It's something I can understand?

Annie's resolution that it explains it, but doesn't excuse it, is, eh, like, no, I do think she and Tony needed at least another scene or two to hash out their relationship even if not directly, it does feel like it sort of wrapped up off screen, but it's not as bad as I remembered it being.

I think the comic's real problem is pacing, and the speed of its updates. Loup arrived back in 2018, but like, a month so has passed in comic-time at best. Reading it all at once there honestly is a constant pressure of Loup about to do something and in the end he DOES, and the court decides to bail NOW on it. It's actually not that bad, but if I haven't read the comic recently it feels like "holy poo poo the last time Loup did something was years ago" and covid-time hasn't helped that, certainly.

I think I've also been spoiled by K6BD, which has longer pages and stuffs way more into their updates.

But I won't say the subtlety and body language hasn't felt a bit... less? Things in the past few chapters have gotten more expository and hurried but it feels like a VERY recent development and that's honestly more distressing.

I still say Loup destroying Renard's body was a tonally confusing mess of people bumbling about from scene to scene but overall like, it feels like it's only the latest 5% of the comic that's flailing, and I hope it's just a bump that's stretched out a long time because of the pace of the updates?

it's been a weird, hard set of years, at least it hasn't yet gone the route Beastars went and entirely flubbed everything and wrapped itself up in a wild hurry that ignored half the plot-threads for a confusing tonally unclear non-resolution lol

double edit: Gonna be honest it's really this latest chapter with them trying to catch Loup with no build-up and no plan and then they just sort of let it go and everything is like, there's like five plot-threads happening and they're switching out every page?

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 13, 2022

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

No. I refuse to believe this.

Niavmai posted:

oh my loving god :gonk:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1958

The first appearance of Loup was May, 2018. It has been 4 years and a pair of months. Reading it all at once it isn't... that long? But it was chapter 66 and we are on Chapter 85. Honestly, we don't spend as much time with coyote or ysengrin as I thought we did, Loup came in a lot earlier than I thought? 19 chapters with Loup, which is 22% of the story so far has been Loup's wild ride.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Staltran posted:

Going by publication date is probably accurate enough, and easier than getting the actual page counts. First page of the comic is April 4 2005, so the comic's been going for about 17 years and three months, or 207 months. Loup appeared March 7 2018 (FlocksOfMice apparently misread Mar as May), or about four years and four months, or 52 months. 52/207 is about 25.1%. So yeah, roughly a quarter.

Later in responding to this but yeah by raw pagecount Loup is on page 1958 and we're on 2653, so Loup is on 695 pages or 27% of the comic has been Loup's Wild Ride.

I really don't think it's a problem read all together, Gunnerkrigg is just not a comic that holds up to weekly installments as much as it does a huge binge-read. Its pacing is TERRIBLE for something you read a few times a week, but it's fairly consistent in an archive trawl.

And look, even more things are happening! The problem is this chapter has been like five or six different Big Things happening one after another and so far none of them have had any consequences. But with the way the pacing works, it probably all WILL having consequences! Eventually! It's the patience of getting there that gets to me the most.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
To be honest I have no idea how he's managed to stick with one project this long, I can barely keep on a single project for more than a month before I'm desperate to do something else.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
She was really worried the vaccine passes for covid would become a WORLD GOVERNMENT pass and you couldn't do business anywhere without it... say... sort of like... the mark of the beast as decided by the antichrist!? OH no...

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I never thought the UK to be so small that Gunnerkrigg Court couldn't fit into it, I just assumed they had land equal to a large city's?

I know I was being positive about this comic just a bit ago and talking about how it's not that bad in an archive trawl but uh, oh boy, oh wow having a character who's barely been in the comic just sit down and casually explain the entire plot of the comic is uh, oh boy, you sure about this?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Wait, what's also the deal with the whole microsat thing? The image makes it imply it's extending in a straight line off of earth--I get it's probably figurative and the Court isn't actually the size of a continent or the size of the court would have been a MUCH bigger deal, but if they're already and have never been on earth how could they interact with satellites orbiting earth without issue? Or, is that why they launched it with an etheric ZAPWOOM? But how could they even see it and the stars in the right place? How does its orbit pass over a place that isn't on earth?

It feels like this is a payoff to the question of "oh wow, how does the Court fit so MUCH inside it? How can it be so big?" but at most it's only ever felt like, ah, yeah, they have some kind of large city hidden on the coast of england or something, maybe space warping something to make it hard to find. It feels like an answer to a question that I never had? They've brought up "How is it so big? What is the court?" but it's always been a side-question at the end of a chapter or an aside statement.

Imagine if Kat and Annie spent the past few chapters going on adventures and discovering this instead of faffing about with ~boys~ and playing with Loup and then having the actual story explained to them casually by a random dude. As it is this is a mystery that was never really a mystery being solved by some guy just offhand saying it.

Like doing creative poo poo is hard, maintaining a story a long time is hard, I have nothing personal against the artist at all but there's a lot of balls dropping lately.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Maybe the punchline is running a comic full of mystery and suspense for 20 years and then some random character deflates every moment of tension by saying "Yeah I was one of the guys behind it, I quit now, what do you want to know? Here's every secret laid out plainly."

I can almost respect it as a bit, but I got tired of the "haha deflated anticlimax" thing back when Homestuck did it for the second of the thirty times it did it.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I'm going to be honest I don't think I could meaningfully pass the Plinkett test with Annie well, especially not after her merger.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I still maintain it, more with every strip, I cannot tell you a single thing about post-fusion Annie. What are her actual goals? Her opinions? What does she want to achieve? What is her investment in this? What are the stakes? This feels like fan-fiction of itself.

Annie and Annie was one of my favorite things the comic produced, I loved seeing the interaction between her and herself. Then they were just merged and basically at that moment her identity became closed to the readers?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Metal Gear Survive was also awesome so she's got pretty basic gaming opinions too!! This comic also follows up on the other MGS title comics there have been. Sorry it disappointed you, Tom Kat!

oh

oh i see, you're like that

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
okay c'mon the Microsoft Excel being mistaken for the hot new ascii roguelike is a tried and true joke and I'm happy to see it

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
holy poo poo lol a+

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Patware posted:

you know what i'm just gonna be glad the camera cut to zimmy and she wasn't once again like distorted in insane pain

rofl. lmao.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
That feeling when the best character in the comic is killed off so he can be replaced by the least interesting character who also takes the protagonist and deuteragonist's places and it's just kind of all about him from now on.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Loup killed Reynard's body and the immediate reaction from both Annie and Rey was "Huh... well, guess that happened. Oh well, didn't really care anyway. What do you want to do tomorrow?"

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Yeah being rude is just being rude, even the Mookie thread is more polite than that

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

feetnotes posted:

Alright, I've completely lost track of what the conflict is supposed to be anymore, now. We don't have a clear enough idea of what the court is doing to add more subversions and twists. The entire plot can't happen offscreen!

Gunnerkrigg Court: The Entire Plot Happens Offscreen

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Tony was an incredible villain but it turns out we weren't supposed to think he was the bad guy I guess. He gave Reynard back when asked! So that made it all okay I guess. The whiplash.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I can't really blame him either, COVID has made things so weird and oh wow sticking to a story for this long is insane. I cannot manage this kind of dedication I won't pretend like I can.

We saw it happen in fast motion with Beastars too, I wonder if there's some kind of like, some pattern here with COVID crisis just derailing all kinds of long-form stories. I wonder what other stories have suddenly gotten weird now that the world is ending.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Which is wild, because Tony coming in and throwing Annie's entire life in disarray was incredible. And how quickly it awkwardly walked it all back--he just gives Reynardine back, he just, yeah no it's no big deal he's done nothing to change things but that's fine--it's, yeah. Clear that this incredible high point of the story being deeply upsetting and powerful was unintentional.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
What is going ON tonally here.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
This is pretty neat! It's a bit of a big jump for Kat though to go from "in 2 months offscreen she developed a computer that lets her teleport things" to "No she actually has an entire space-compressed city-factory" but I'll roll with it if this goes somewhere!

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

I don't mind the breakup happening off-screen even a bit here. The thing is, this page is "showing" rather than "telling." It shows us a lot, just through implication: The fact that Kat is here hugging Paz goodbye shows you exactly what kind of breakup this was, and shows you what type of people Kat and Paz are, and how they feel about each other still, that they want to part like this even after breaking up. This is not to say that one couldn't draw the scene where Paz breaks the news, and Kat's reaction, etc and do it well. But it's a bit like horror movie rules: What I can imagine happened, through implication, makes me sad enough. If you've ever had to end a relationship not because you didn't love the other person, but because you just knew it wasn't going to work regardless of how you felt (or been in the other position), this scene is crushing.

Agreed, this is a really good page.

The only problem is we got like an entire chapter about Loup dating a robot instead of seeing Paz and Kat really interact in the past several years???

But this page is good and says a lot with their body language. All the other couples off to the side to, really hammering in what they are losing.

Needs more Loup however.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

isasphere posted:

That chapter and the next left such a bad taste in my mouth and I'm still unable to articulate why exactly, other than it feels that Annie should have maybe changed and matured as a character as a result of it but she didn't?

Yeah of everything that this was immediately followed by Kat explaining why Annie had actually done nothing wrong was probably the first sign things were going to go wrong in the comic.

And while this thing with Paz and Kat was a good page, their relationship had been kinda sidelined and weird and glossed over for years and now it's just sorta wrapped up moved to the side. Annie's complex relationship with her father had no resolution, it was just sorta wrapped up and moved to the side. Everything just sorta gets wrapped up and moved to the side to make room for what we need more of.

Loup kissing a robot girl.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
IDK yeah I thought this one was funny ngl

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I mean he's been doing the same thing for 20 years tho he's probably tired I'd be tired too. I'm already so tired. In the end I can't really blame artists who burn out especially after long consistent careers.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Two Annies was my favorite thing and I was really hopeful they'd be there through the rest of the comic. I love dynamics like that! Instead it gets resolved in a dream sequence without telling you it was that that it was resolving and also resolving that resolved her abusive father relationship. Super fun.

CodfishCartographer posted:

You know, I think things would have been much better if Loup never existed.

...Okay I mean, yeah obviously, Loup sucks. But imagine if the same major plot beats played out, but with Coyote + Ysengrim. Jeanne is defeated so Coyote decides to make a power play at the court, closing the river and launching an attack. Annie then has to struggle with accepting that Coyote wasn't really her friend and was just using her. Ysengrim has to grapple with sincerely caring about Annie but also wishing to carry out Coyote's plans. We can even keep the Lana + Jerrick stuff, we've established sometimes Coyote just fucks around as a dead goose, and we might even be more invested in the love story since we actually know and care about Coyote. Obviously then we'd need something for Ysengrim to do, but I think it'd already shore up a lot of the weaker points of the current story.

Also yeah absolutely. Coyote and Ysengrim were the best characters in the book, and he killed off BOTH of them to replace them with an obnoxious do-nothing of a wet fart. That's really the biggest hit of it for me--the two Annies and the two dog-gods, he wrote out the best characters all at the same time in service of... whatever is going on now?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
gbh my entire reaction to this update is "Uh. Huh. Ok?"

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
It's fine it's a fake out she isn't going to kill Loup now they're going to talk with Annie taking a subordinate role in the conversation and letting him tell her what she should do next

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
The problem is they only knew Jerrek was Loup AFTER the first failed capture attempt and after he burned Reynard's body. Why was Jerrek along for the ride on the first half-hearted capture attempt?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Two Annies was my favorite Annies and characters with duplicates of themselves is one of my favorite things and you see it so rarely and it was so NEAT here and it was done away entirely with no explanation and to no conclusion and ever since Annie has become some Other we know nothing about.

It's really confusing because the comic was so strong and it feels like covid just kinda broke something and now it's wobbling all over the place.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Maldraedior posted:

Friendly reminder that Loup (and the Court) killed those robots in the only way that matters to them

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=894

God that whole arc was so powerful and then kat just brings them all back to life off screen and it's no big deal lol

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Compare to Houseki no Kuni, which also got hit hard by Covid but in that the author took like... a 3 year hiatus right around the build up to a very bizarre and emotionally exhausting climax, but... somehow they were able to get away with just, not updating for 3 years, and now it's updating slowly again and the story remains very much on track and strong.

Contrast to The Legacy of Dominic Deegan, which even Mookie admitted completely fell apart because of the stress of covid and became utterly meandering stream of consciousness.

Like honestly can't hold it against anyone if their storytelling starts to fall apart in these our modern times, i think the universe's own functioning story is failing in macrocosm and comics becoming more incoherent is just a symptom of narrative decay within reality. We probably have 5-15 years before it completely degenerates and effect ceases to follow cause meaningfully, so good luck on prepping to jump ship when you can!

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

I mean at least at first there was a vague, nebulous goal Which became replaced with everyone mommies Snout and tells him how kind and curious he is while he ignores his friends, plays with his toes, and falls asleep until Dominic goes "you arbitrarily succeeded somehow, please proceed to the end for a resolution of I don't know"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I dunno this is kind of funny. way too long of a build up for this payoff but coyote getting owned posthumously is funny.