Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Angry Diplomat posted:

The secret twist is that Annie's dad is a robot.

Jones is Annie's dad in disguise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ignoring the terrible person, Donald seems to have a pretty good handle on what to do right now.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

:psyduck:

What?

There really is no other reaction appropriate.

This is like, the anti-sense.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

KSAF Staff Report posted:

-I think Coyote is out of this one. It's not like him to deal with the messes he makes. He wouldn't be a trickster god if he cared.

Pretty sure Coyote knew this would happen.

So yeah, he's not going to deal with it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

:stare:

Coyote had been growing a bit more sinister in this arc. But this is.. it's downright creepy.

Edit: I just realized something.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=1076
Look at that page.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

What's amazing is that this arc started with this.

Coyote looking all scary and monstrous, only for it to fall apart quickly and it quickly became him at his silliest.

And then, we get a slow build up of creepiness. Contrasting the over the top "Show" Coyote put on with the much more subtle and genuine sinister acts.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

pik_d posted:

Wednesday will probably be a bonus page, and Friday will be the new chapter's title page. We'll be waiting until Monday for anything that moves the story along.

In which case Monday is gonna be Annie walking out of Jones' office thanking her for explaining the relationship by her particular nature and Coyote's theory.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

PiotrLegnica posted:

It's been a while since we last saw Boxbot.

Good.

Because Boxbot is terrible.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Holy crap when did I get this new avatar.

(Mort time is best time)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mazerunner posted:

I wonder if the Forest ever nominates candidates for the Medium position? I'm just thinking that all three current candidates + the one actual medium we've seen have been from the Court (although Surma and Annie do have ties to the forest) and it seems like that'd be a slight power imbalance. It'd be interesting if there were like, some elves or shadow-people or something who the forest nominated that were being considered (by both sides) separately. Although narratively a blind-side like that would be a bit lackluster.

I assume the Medium position is one that the Court created. Like, the people in charge go "Man dealing with the Forest is such a pain. Let's just train one person to do it all."

The leaders of the Forest seem much more interested in interacting with the Court directly. Which, if you think about it, makes sense.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh Tom you tease.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So Jones literally picked up Elgamore on the rebound.

Seems to have turned out well enough.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man the Jones/Elgamore relationship has gone from kind of sweet to a little weird to downright creepy.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I don't know. Jones taking the name feels like it has some magical significance.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Guys I don't think the theory about her being half stone elemental is right.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MikeJF posted:

Would you call the court robots alive, then?

They are born, grow, reproduce, and even evolve.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Darn it Jones.

Look at Annie. You've disappointed her. How could you.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Is it just me, or has Jones been a lot more expressive in this arc?

While her face is still the same :geno: poker face it always is, her body language and the angle she's shown from portrays a fair amount of emotion and feeling.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

And hey, does this mean Jones will presumably become Eglamore in a few decades' time?

She'll be called "Jimmy Jims"

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The point is that she's worried about it. She's worried that because she likes working on machines, her hair short, etc, that she's a lesbian.

It's kind of dumb sounding but she's a teenager.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I disagree with that.

I think Coyote really likes Ysengrin.

In the sense that he finds somebody utterly devoted to him no matter how terribly he's treated hilarious.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ysengrin and his best buddy Jimmy Jims.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Heliotrope posted:

It's a pretty important event, and not inviting her would be even meaner. The headmaster just announced Smitty as the medium, he didn't directly insult Annie or anything.

Yeah I don't think the Headmaster has anything particularly against Annie. He and the rest of the head honchos of the court just decided that Smitty was the best choice for what they wanted as a medium.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man I do not envy Smitty right now.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Podima posted:

I'm kind of impressed/surprised at how fast Ysengrin decided he was okay with being forcibly retired!

He realizes it's a great opportunity to mess with the Court now.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I go off to the site, expecting :smith: and Paz's heart breaking.

Instead I get :kimchi:.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

mr. stefan posted:

What I'm curious about personally is what the connection is between Annie and Zimmy. They more or less seamlessly swapped identities by accident when Zimmy's manifestation happened around Jack, and then we see her later and she seems literally be turning into Annie on an etheric level, with her hair turning red and the scar trying to burn itself into her face.

Gamma did imply during that incident that Zimmy's ended up thinking she's other people before though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

dyzzy posted:

Wow, that's... not something I would have expected, given the way GKC has developed.

If I recall correctly Gunnerkrigg Court's original plans was supposed to be a much darker story then it turned out to be.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Don't forget how she created the anti gravity device just to show off protein crystals! :v:

She was so unhappy that everybody focused on the device.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

Thinking about it, do we really know that much about Renard?

Well, Renard is the central character of a series of European folk tales (Popular enough to the point where "renard" has become the french word for fox) in which he serves a similar role to Coyote, that of a trickster. The main target of his pranks being Ysengrin. One tale was him tricking Ysengrin to fish with his tail in the middle of winter, leading it to end up frozen in ice. When Renard tells Ysengrin to get up, he replies with "You don't know what you're saying, deceiver. I have all of Scotland hanging from my buttocks."

In other words we need more of Renard being a hilarious dick. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This is a trick question, the right answer is always "all of them"

Except the Boxbot pages. They're terrible.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Proving once again that Coyote's a dick.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's a nickname Surma gave him, taken an old ballad about a werefox that abducted young women.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Coyote never lies but he has no problem letting you come to your own conclusion, pretty classic trickster stuff.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

:stare:

Well, uh, Hetty is creeping me out even more now.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

imperialparadox posted:

I just want to thank the random people of the forum using Gunnerkrigg Court characters as their avatars, because it made me ask "why do some of these avatars look so similar," which eventually led me to reading Tom's wonderful comic. Seriously, this is like my favorite thing on the internet right now, and I've devoured the archives and am now left waiting restlessly for each new strip. :3:

I do wonder just what exactly Ysengrin is though, since after the recent reveal with Coyote I think that he used to be something more (power-wise, I mean).

Both Yesngrin and Renard are from medieval folktales, Yesngrin was basically the Tom to Renard's Jerry.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I can't stop snickering at the robots just standing there. Watching.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Brightman posted:

Also what is that symbol thing on the door?

It's probably some kind of magical rune to help seal off the room. Remember that room's for quarantining stuff from the Forest.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Darth Windu posted:

No, it's actually just a trope cribbed from My Animes to have a terrible, "comedic relief" stuffed animal sidekick that Tom managed to somehow turn into a semi-interesting character when in serious form. Reynard's plushie side is one of the worst aspects of the comic.

Reynard is a character from European folklore who spent much of the poems about him being a dick, up to and including being a horny jackass.

One tale has him send Ysengrin off on some wild goose chase while he has sex with Ysengrin's wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

JT Jag posted:

Literal or metaphorical wild goose chase?

Metaphorical, I believe.