Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm guessing next chapter(s) we won't get Parley/Smitty/Kat going "yeah wow you were kind of garbage and we couldn't say no" and more along the lines of not REALLY realizing the danger they were in until Smitty had a knife in his chest. Parley & Smits in particular will probably mirror this entire exchange since red/parley basically saw ayilu/smitty die due to this, but go in a different direction with it (still their decision, smit lucking away the dagger from parley, they're almost adults, or whatever other direction suits your fancy).

gotta keep it civil just for future medium interactions, anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

CrashCat posted:

so now it's time for Kat to be a major bummer to complete the bummer cycle, right?

Robot will give a rousing speech about how it was worth it and good and he'd do it again and again and again

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Begemot posted:

Also, Parley is the one who said "it's time". Painting Annie as some monster manipulating her friends completely ignores the part where she shared the inciting vision with Parley in the first place.

It wasn't Annie's "obsession" that made this whole thing happen alone. They all decided to do it together. Red wanted to come along and only got angry in retrospect because she didn't consider how dangerous it would be.

Yeah Coward Heart ended with Parley & Smitty both agreeing to help almost instantly after being told what was up.
Annie may have gotten overeager/obsessed once The Plan went into motion (which: fair to bring up & discuss) and the entire Aiylu thing definitely didn't have her think things through (again: fair), but like half of the crew was for 100% it.
Wouldn't be too surprised if Parley was going through similar thoughts as Annie at this point. Maybe more so since Smits took a knife to the chest for her and all. Maybe that will be next chapter with an intermission from "dying is Good, Actually" robot

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Ysengrin only recovered the memories Coyote stole from him; he didn't acquire Coyote's own memories.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1957
the river memory was recent and just coyote talking to himself

I think he specified "even ysengrin" to cut off Annie confiding in someone she was growing to care about

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Court's a few used bits amongst a forest of abandoned buildings, but the fact that they stored those seeds there mean that they use that building, so it's not unlikely there were casualties.

thankfully it was a sunday and we could see their parachutes

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well, just off the top of my head: we still don't know what Zimmy and Gamma's deal is, or what Kat being a giant robot God in the either means. We don't know what will happen if Kat succeeds in turning robot into a more organic being, and we still don't really know what the court wants or what it's trying to do. We still haven't seen what the Psychopomps want with Annie, or why her being born caused her mother to die.

Oh, and we still have Coyote's new anime form to deal with.

Same, this is a HUGE change but it doesn't feel like the end game.

zimmy/gamma feels like something that wont necessarily have an answer in the same way we won't have a total beat by beat breakdown of why fire elementals die post-child. It's just something that happens. It was even known about by multiple people judging by Renard's "we all knew [surma dying] would happen" comment after that truth bomb dropped.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

If this is a memory steal thing I can see Loup uising it to doubling as incentive to actually do what Loup wants

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

since the entire court is more in other annie's favor it'd be nice (& funny!) if rey was the only one on "our" annie's side.

if only because we'd probably get a panel of them hugging and then our annie makes this face at their annie https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2075

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

We’ve seen court Annie’s fire hair has gaps in it in the ether, we still haven’t seen what forest Annie looks like but I bet Reynard knows.

we saw ether forest annie during the entire loup confrontation, which happened after the split and also for 6 months

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

So, who is the title's her?
  • Spare Annie seems like the obvious choice, but probably too obvious.
  • Kat is a tempting choice, since that's basically what Paz made it all about.
  • Paz being, of course, the other possibility, since she's the one that seems to have a problem with Viewpoint Annie.

I figured the "her" was both annies
Annie 1 has to deal with Annie 2
Annie 2 has to deal with Annie 1
Every character has to deal wih there now being a second Annie, in general, and that will probably vary character to character on if there's a problem with either annie in particular.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Wonder if we'll cut away from this and the rest of the chapter will be the others talking about the situation while the annies talk to each other

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I bet their Minotaur friend is roaming around to spook 'em

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

introducing Alolan Annie. She's a water type this time.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

While doing a slight reread of my own, I wonder if this stuff in particular will come up again since the arrow is relevant:
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1833

specifically the arrow being built like one of diego's golems, the similarities to court robots by extension and the weird device that we haven't seen since but I bet is probably being used in kat's computer anyway.

dadcula also mentions that the arrow really messed up "other departments" in addition to ROTD & I assume separate from the psychopomps, which I assume includes our arbiter & interpreter. So maybe we'll get an idea of just how much damage this arrow did to the various ether connected realms?

also fun https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1834

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I didn't think this whole thing was a con until this very page. I know some of you guys called it way back when little ghost dude first appeared, but it looked like more RotD-style dumb bureaucracy than something nefarious.

But now? This guy is totally up to no good. He's purchased the rights to every robot's soul or Kat's firstborn or something, I dunno.
I think the terms & conditions might be something along the lines of...

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Hmm, so I imagine Kat is now responsible for securing afterlife guide services for any new sentient beings she creates, which is naturally going to end up being Annie. Or at least, it would be her by default, but Kat might have something to say about that since Annie probably doesn't actually want the job.

...this

Or some other god-adjacent type thing that she'll be forced to take responsibility for, wont be able to renegotiate fully like she did her & probably have the risk of something happening to any robot she elevates if she doesn't follow through. The twist is less "crooked deal" and more "oh this is way more important than I thought"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Red is right about how Annie treated the fairies but she then also projects her feelings into the other members of the group. As Kat points out in the next chapter they all agreed to do it because they wanted to and Red doesn't get to strip them of their agency.

Yeah I think Tom even mentions that a few times in the video, that Red has actual legitimate grievances but is projecting them onto everyone. I hope the next one, where kat stands up for their decisions, decides to have a side bar where they show pages like this to compliment what she's saying:

Because even if Annie got laser focused as things came to a head and hoped that any danger could be undone by psychopomps, the rest of the group still got into this on their own for the past couple of years and more than knew the risks.

Also kinda hope there's a side comic later down the line of Smitty & Parley dealing with the immediate fall out. I can see why it wouldn't get focus in the comic proper but I'm sure how that whole thing shook out would be, ahhhh, something to talk about between the two of them :v:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ohhh, I didn't even know these existed, I'll marathon them now.

Doesn't Annie talk to Kat later about this, and Kat assures her it WAS Kat's choice and the right thing to do? I'm not saying Red is 100% right, just that I like that Annie gets consequences for her actions and does get called out rather than always getting a pass.

Correct, tom basically lays it all out across both videos that red had valid points but projected her own perspective onto all of annie's friends

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

...What about the building team idea? Let's go with that instead.

The building team idea requires the forest people who learned to work with ironwood

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Trying to abduct and unfreeze bunch of forest people is still better idea than going to Loup.

I am guessing Loup will know the microsecond they try to approach the forest, much less once they're in there

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

So you're right! My mistake. Still, sup with that test tube?

I assume the goose bone was stored in it

e: Oh nevbermind that goose bone is huge relative to the test tube https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2205

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

Alright, I learned how to pronounce "Loup" right, but now you're trying to tell me Blue Annie was cut off after only saying the "Lou-" part of "Loup"? I won't stand for this treatment!

I am pretty sure in his own videos Tom keeps switching between Lou and Loop

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Wonder if all these elves will be controlled (poorly) by Loup.
SEE MY LOVES?? I can control all these forest creatures! I am in full control of everything! I'm not owned!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm guessing Kat confided (or Paz found out on her own) about her plan to do Something about the annie situation and paz doesn't agree with whatever it requires or results in

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

I wonder if Kat is slowly losing her humanity, or at least interest in other people, as she continues her journey toward becoming a deity.
or she has dissociated from the annies after the reveal neither are "her's"

Like that was one hell of a look to give back in that chapter

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

MikeJF posted:

can they just, like, lift up the CPUs of a few long enough for the elves to run into the shield?

Legitimately seems like itd be enough for Loup to burst through or for something epse to get in.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Next up is Kat swiping the chips and putting them in organic bodies.

I wonder if that's just some random worker's hand in the last panel or if it's supposed to be Juliet stealing the chips.
Kat was going to talk to her before this went down https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2241

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Time for paz to be snapped like a twig

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Probably a mix of all these things. Its a general high stress situation and no one is happy with the Annies even though they're just as in a bad spot over this nonsense

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Malpais Legate posted:

The real tragedy of this comic being serialized. It certainly works better when you read each chapter in a single sitting.

While true the chapter started a month ago and the only thing that happened between then and now was the meeting with the elves.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Warmachine posted:

That actually sounds like one of the most plausible numbers to come out of this. If neither are native to this timeline, and both were brought here by Loup, then it's entirely possible (and in fact probable) that this timeline's Annie had some different lived experiences.

Which also opens the question--what exactly is supposed to be here? Is this our timeline or our Annie? After they first meet with Loup, all bets are off because of the time skip. We know an Annie went into the forest, and an Annie came out. Then another one came out.

This is meandering and what I'm trying to say is that we don't actually know what got switched around on us. We're assuming we're still following the Annie we met back in Chapter 1, but we might not be.

I'll admit I assumed, after the reveal, that neither annie was really "our" annie but also everything up to the Shift was 100% the same for that annie
So neither annie is "our" annie, who is stuck in the forest, with the trick being the annie we followed for Loup's conversation (well, theoretically Annie Prime could've seen at least part of that conversation depending when the second shift was decided on) wasn't the annie that we originally followed into the forest.

Side note but if Kat's about to mess around with time that probably means we get to see the "temporal division" time cops and man that's going to be a hoot :allears:

now to take a big sip from my "Chapter 74 would never reveal that each annie had their own subtle differences that wouldn't come up in normal conversation" mug

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

yeah, kind of seems like paz is just upset about the situation and wants annie to make it better...somehow

Yeah shes upset and looking to vent and do something to fix but unfortunately the only thing is to yell at the problem who canr fix itself
Seems pretty understandable , its a pretty lovely situation and everyone is teens.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I don't think it's kat putting every burden on her shoulders, like the robots situation and so on, but specifically the reveal that neither Annie is supposed to be here.
Paz says outright that Kat was getting better about the 2 annie situation but then, specifically within the past few weeks, she's gotten much worse

Which would probably line up exactly with the big reveal that Kat was visibly not happy with at all

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Uthor posted:

I'm all "how do you not know this", but them I realized that I only know it because I read that chapter this morning.

Was it ever revealed who programed the robots to project the shield?

Not yet but it being another Deigo thing that's carried through to the modern era would be my bet

e: Ah, rereading the chapter I forgot that the shielding was specifically something from Anja's research so this programming is very recent. Can't be Diego then https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1991

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I see that heads remain level headed as this argument continues

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

I really feel that blonde girl Paz called as reinforcement who just stands there looking awkward and wishing she was somewhere else. :allears:

The 2 randos are the standins for the audience

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I think people are mostly joking

I hope people are mostly joking

Oh it is a fully believable argument

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Like yeah she's being a huge bitch, but also like teenager and this is probably gonna blow back on her way worse than the Annies. So my read is I'm actually almost more worried about Paz.

Especially since unknown to Paz and Annie Kat does not consider these Annies hers so I'm not sure anything Paz or Annie could do here would effect her, if the Annies try to distance themselves there's no way Kat will let them cause then she has less of a chance of getting her Annie back. At worst it might hasten that inevitable shitshow along I guess. But that's happening no matter what.

Yeah there's no universe where this goes well for Paz. Even if she gets the annies to back off and try severing their ties, the moment Kat finds out its going to explode.
This isn't Red who barely interactes with Annie getting her owns in and walking off with her gf into the sunset.

So look forward to part 2 of Teens Arguing: relationship edition

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

flatluigi posted:

And if you missed it, here's Paz warning Annie before: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2098

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2102
man that sheer look of disdain on paz

also i kind of love how poo poo annie is at confrontation, even (especially) with her self. If she doesn't blow up she's easily run over most times. Very relatable.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

Paz still hasn't managed to say what exactly she thinks Annie should have been doing differently. It's possible she has a better point to make and just hasn't gotten it out. But so far it seems like she's just frustrated with Kat being in a bad place, and is looking for somewhere to direct that.

Considering her end goal is "stop being friends" and brushing off Annies even talking to her I think it is just frustration, directing it somewhere and trying to shortcut to a solution that will "solve everything" because she's mad AND sad and no one is thinking straight in that condition even if there wasn't a literal state of emergency going on

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah Paz is kinda being a poo poo here. She's not wrong about Annie being kind of oblivious to her friend's mental state but nothing about Paz' methodology here helps like...at all.

And also betrays a lack of seeing people other than her SO as people instead of tools to enabling her relationship with that SO. Girl needs to have a life beyond that relationship.

Do you think the two girls Paz brought along figured this would happen. I mean it is at night and I'm guessing Paz has been seeking out the annies so probably but they're pretty silent and blonde girl doesn't seem to want to be here any more than we, the reader, do.
The bonus page will probably be them, thinking on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Macaluso posted:

*studio audience erupts into applause and cheers*

audibly went "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you're in trouble nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww"