Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i sniped this page now someone has to post that dkc2 disco train recreation where the screams are just actual scary human screams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FractalSandwich posted:

They just wanted to follow in the footsteps of the film and broadcast industries before them. I admire their commitment to tradition.

What you're missing is digital storage was really loving expensive in the 90's and early 00's. That 1TB drive in your PC, or even the 512GB SD card in your phone, would've cost thousands back then and for the size of the studios at the time it was just plain necessity to wipe drives and reuse them for the next game after one was released.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
They shouldve printed out the source code and kept them in a binder.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What you're missing is digital storage was really loving expensive in the 90's and early 00's. That 1TB drive in your PC, or even the 512GB SD card in your phone, would've cost thousands back then and for the size of the studios at the time it was just plain necessity to wipe drives and reuse them for the next game after one was released.
That was a joke, if it wasn't clear. I don't imagine NASA recorded over the original Apollo 11 tapes just for fun, either.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

my dude, the source code for FFX did not require a 1TB drive to preserve, even if you kept completely uncompressed assets and poo poo. even at the time of release it would have been a tiny rounding error in square's budget to buy a couple of 50GB drives to throw in the archive, and no company that released even a single successful game couldn't have done the same. they just flat out did not give a poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’m shocked that the XIII trilogy never got a PS4/XB1 release. I wonder if it’s planned for the new gen.

It did for Xbox. Its a remaster too with 4k cutscenes and a resolution doubling on FFXIII.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’m shocked that the XIII trilogy never got a PS4/XB1 release. I wonder if it’s planned for the new gen.

they upscaled and updated the whole trilogy on xb1 bc iirc. i remember people saying it was the best way to play them now, even over the pc releases.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They could've just thrown it on tape and put it in a box, it just wasn't a priority

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its me, Im the person constantly talking about the re-releases on Xbox and how fantastic they are. Its good stuff people! They're not even expensive!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

and since games generally rose in size at pace with availability of storage, this is true in basically every era of game dev you can think of. no successful studio, or even solo dev, couldn't afford enough storage to keep a copy of that successful game's source. you do, after all, generally have to be able to fit the whole drat thing on a consumer-grade or slightly-above-consumer-grade PC for compilation at the very least, which means that it probably fits on a drive that isn't very far outside the mainstream.

storage was absolutely expensive in those eras, for projects that required tons of storage. source code preservation is almost uniformly not one of those projects, unless you were looking to archive the whole VCS history instead of just the final source.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I still like that story about the guy at Guerilla finding the backup tape with the source for Killzone 1 in a box under his bed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Tbh 10 probably has one of the better dubs of a triple A Square production, they really don’t set a very high standard for themselves if you include Kingdom Hearts’ VO.
the funny thing about the KH dubs is that the japanese fanbase uses them almost exclusively, and the JP releases of KH games always include the english voice track. cause disney = american = english, plus kh1 final mix played in English by default, since it was based on the English version, and that version was printed in greater quantities and sold better in Japan than the initial release of it there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that said whoever casts the KH dubs deserves your scorn even so, because apparently Billy Zane loved voicing Ansem and would have loved to do more stuff for the series, but Square just straight-up never contacted him. He wasn't busy, he would have been willing to take a slight paycut because he liked working on it, the phone just never rang. And Ansem and Xehanort have the same VA, so if they had brought Zane back, he would have voiced Xehanort too.

Imagine KH3 with Billy Zane. This is what we lost.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think some day they should do an hd remaster of adventure of tokyo disney SEA

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

that said whoever casts the KH dubs deserves your scorn even so, because apparently Billy Zane loved voicing Ansem and would have loved to do more stuff for the series, but Square just straight-up never contacted him. He wasn't busy, he would have been willing to take a slight paycut because he liked working on it, the phone just never rang. And Ansem and Xehanort have the same VA, so if they had brought Zane back, he would have voiced Xehanort too.

Oh for gently caress's sake, he was one of the few people whose voice acting had any gravitas to begin with, and that's perfect for your villain. Goddammit Disney.

loving No Fun Allowed Megacorp

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RareAcumen posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake, he was one of the few people whose voice acting had any gravitas to begin with, and that's perfect for your villain. Goddammit Disney.

loving No Fun Allowed Megacorp

I'm pretty sure that's on Squeenix, not Disney.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i doubt disney was pushing for the 'the guy who voices bobobobo bobobo' to play the main villain.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah i doubt disney was pushing for the 'the guy who voices bobobobo bobobo' to play the main villain.

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure that's on Squeenix, not Disney.

Yeah that one's on me, Endorph said Square straight up in her post and I was just amped for any chance to slam Disney I was blinded to who I should actually blame.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think the voice acting in Kingdom Hearts is fine, for the most part. It's cheesy and melodramatic, but that's what Kingdom Hearts is. It doesn't do subtlety.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

gently caress. Wonder where the rumor that he just said it was dumb cartoon poo poo beneath him came from then? At least we got Nimoy for Xehonort Sr?

WrightOfWay posted:

I think the voice acting in Kingdom Hearts is fine, for the most part. It's cheesy and melodramatic, but that's what Kingdom Hearts is. It doesn't do subtlety.

Tbh when I think “bad VO in Kingdom Hearts” it’s mostly how stilted half the cast sounds in BBS-onward.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I believe BbS was voice directed remotely from someone on the Japanese side which is never a good idea

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

it's really loving bad from kh2 onward, like some of the worst voice direction in jrpg's considering its budget

you get a few exceptions but they're mostly from actors who have been in the business for so long that they were able to power through the incompetent direction and awkward script, and i am rending my garments at the knowledge that we could have had billy zane instead of richard epcar's tapioca baritone for the rest of the series

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
HELLO CLEVELAND, WE'RE TAPIOCA BARITONE AND THIS IS A SONG ABOUT A WHALE

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

I believe BbS was voice directed remotely from someone on the Japanese side which is never a good idea

My favorite anime/JRPG thing is when someone who’s not fluent in English tries telling everyone how they should sound. There’s like one show I can think of where that turned out okay.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Kingdom Hearts gave us Paul St. Peter as Xemnas and that man has the best voice. Just the best. I started Bravely Default for the first time earlier this week and hearing him as the random innkeeper right at the beginning was fun.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I do like that each Master Nort VA we got plays him differently so we got 3 good takes on the same character.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Talking about Kingdom Hearts VO made me remember that the one evil sniper guy in 2 got elevated to being super loving important cause apparently Nomura liked his dub voice and hell, there are worse reasons to make “generic gun guy” retroactively one of the most consistent figures in the franchise than “sounds like a cool dudebro surfer dude”.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
in command mission i defeated a hidden bonus boss to unlock zero's secret limit break and it looks sick. welcome to the team, absolute zero

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I do like that each Master Nort VA we got plays him differently so we got 3 good takes on the same character.

I feel like Nimoy and Lloyd knew what kind of games they were in, but Hauer went full menacing with it, and they were all awesome.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm not so fond of the fact that it seems to be a death sentence. Waiting on the Lloyd news any day now.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I decided I could use some goofs in my life and picked up Xenoblade 2. So far it is extremely anime and very good. The characters are adorable and the buttrock is great as always. It looks and runs worse than I was hoping, though. I really thought Monolith Soft would have learned their lesson from Xenoblade 1 (gorgeous assets that the console it's on absolutely cannot support) but it kind of feels like a repeat of that again. Even in significant, dramatic cutscenes there have been times where things were majorly pixelated and running at like 10 fps. It's bizarre.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Cephas posted:

I decided I could use some goofs in my life and picked up Xenoblade 2. So far it is extremely anime and very good. The characters are adorable and the buttrock is great as always. It looks and runs worse than I was hoping, though. I really thought Monolith Soft would have learned their lesson from Xenoblade 1 (gorgeous assets that the console it's on absolutely cannot support) but it kind of feels like a repeat of that again. Even in significant, dramatic cutscenes there have been times where things were majorly pixelated and running at like 10 fps. It's bizarre.

in retrospect it probably wasn't a great idea for the combat system to be based around there being a minimum of six characters on screen at any given time either

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Cephas posted:

You running docked or undocked? Docked made a huge improvement but I was willing to deal with bad frame rates and hilariously bad pop in texturss to be able to play in bed

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

FF15 is a real weird dub. Everything that is just the boyband and Ardyn is gold. Some of the best VA I've seen and rock solid dialogue polished to a gleam in the localisation.

Everything a secondary character says seems to have gotten orders of magnitude less writing effort and like two takes.

And the generic npc barks may as well be harried interns reading machine translations.

I've never seen a game with such stark and obvious tiers of performance.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah that one's on me, Endorph said Square straight up in her post and I was just amped for any chance to slam Disney I was blinded to who I should actually blame.

I mean almost everything else wrong with the Kingdom Hearts games probably goes back to Disney.

Edit: fwiw while ideally they'd have made it all good I imagine they probably had to make hard decisions about resource and time allocations localising FF15 and whoever made the decision to divert everything to making the boys relationship as well acted and written as they could at the expense of everything else being a bit stilted and awkward... probably made the right call.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 8, 2021

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

waah posted:

You running docked or undocked? Docked made a huge improvement but I was willing to deal with bad frame rates and hilariously bad pop in texturss to be able to play in bed

I've been playing docked, but I got a huge TV as a hand-me-down a while ago so I think maybe it's just not the best resolution for the game. Some of the gifs I've seen of it at smaller resolutions have looked gorgeous

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

keep in mind like half the xb2 team was basically kidnapped to work on breath of the wild so stuff like optimization and some bugfixes and stuff got put on the backburner. it was way worse when xb2 launched, too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
beaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaans

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

keep in mind like half the xb2 team was basically kidnapped to work on breath of the wild so stuff like optimization and some bugfixes and stuff got put on the backburner. it was way worse when xb2 launched, too.
XC definitive edition, which (probably?) didn't have troubles like this because you'd need a way smaller team for a remake, runs pretty much the exact same way and at the same low resolutions, so i dunno how much of that specific issue would've been due to being shortstaffed.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

As someone who doesn't currently own a Switch, I'm really hoping the Switch Pro rumors are true as the poor performance on even 1st/2nd party, let alone 3rd party games is one of the things that's turned me away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Senran Neptunia crossover game. video games are saved