Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CommissarMega posted:

poo poo, where's SCF when you need him/her?

SCF's being a Grade A FuckShit and not making a sweet rear end RPG for his next game.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Just a quick question from someone who doesn't have a clue: are those RPG Maker games completely free, legal to install as executables without requiring anything else to be on the system first? (ie, you don't need RPG Maker or anything else to be installed already?)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BadAstronaut posted:

Just a quick question from someone who doesn't have a clue: are those RPG Maker games completely free, legal to install as executables without requiring anything else to be on the system first? (ie, you don't need RPG Maker or anything else to be installed already?)

Exit Fate was for me; I just downloaded the .rar, unzipped, and was ready to go.

Jesto posted:

I'm not sure. Why not try it out? Take a Level 1 into a random encounter with just Daniel, see how many levels he gets. Now reset and take the level 1 and 4 other characters into battle with Daniel.

Hopefully I can do that, what with the battle for Mayfall looming over me. I can still switch characters before going to meet the boss, right?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

BadAstronaut posted:

You gotta do a decent amount of finagaling to get the wierd font he uses to work, but aside from that its completly free.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Wheeee posted:

What are some good sci-fi RPGs? I've been playing Mass Effect lately and love the gently caress out of it.

I'm sick to poo poo of elves and I hate anime. I also prefer PC or old games I can just emulate since my Xbox is, well, in a box.
Anachronox is a good old PC sci fi rpg.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

You really should get the mod to speed up battles, though, or it can be pretty unbearable.

Hell Patrol
Jan 1, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You really should get the mod to speed up battles, though, or it can be pretty unbearable.

That would be added in the Unofficial patches made by a development team member after Ion Storm closed down.

Someone on some other forum rar'd up all the patches together in single download here - http://www.filefront.com/15856631/Anachoronox-Patches-3.0.rar/

Install the official ION 1.01 patch first then Unoffical 44, 45, then 46. The unofficial patches makes your backslash key into a speedup button.

Also to give more info to the guy it's being recommended to, Anachronox is pretty much a carbon copy of Chrono Trigger's gameplay (without double or triple techs though) in a sci-fi setting with a shitload of humor, and you really never ever need to grind.

I love the hell out of this prerelease trailer but it's kinda spoilery so only watch it if you're still on the fence about trying it.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Wheeee posted:

What are some good sci-fi RPGs? I've been playing Mass Effect lately and love the gently caress out of it.

I'm sick to poo poo of elves and I hate anime. I also prefer PC or old games I can just emulate since my Xbox is, well, in a box.

If you're just sick of fantasy, but don't necessarily need spaceships and aliens in your RPG and might appreciate more real-world stuff, you might try Alpha Protocol. I just started playing it last night and am enjoying it.

So far, my biggest gripe is that the loving tutorials for the mini-games (alarm circuits, hacking, lock-picking) don't take your control changes into account and you have to use your psychic powers to figure out what goddamn key they're talking about if you altered the default controls. gently caress I hate sloppy poo poo like that in games. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out how to hack computers and it should have taken about 30 seconds. :suicide:

The game itself is pretty fun so far though--I'm only on my first mission...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
"Sloppy" is definitely how I would describe Alpha Protocol. In the end it was too much so for me.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Here is what I am looking for in an RPG. Please tell me if anything recent fits the bill.

I want a traditional turn-based game, with a realistic non-anime story. Is there anything in the world like this?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Bought it, played it and beat it to get the spectacular non-ending that was supposed to lead into sequels that were never made, years ago.

poo poo still pisses me off.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Anachronox is well written and has funny dialogue and good characters but I wouldn't call it a good game.

Hey this guy won't let us through the door let's go on a gigantic fetch quest to find him a stupid sock for no reason.

Also, non-ending. The game literally ends halfway through the storyline and Tom Hall admitted as such.

That being said, "I shall kill you... with death" is still one of the greatest lines ever.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The writing in Anachronox beats the poo poo out of most games I've played and I sincerely enjoyed it.

Until it ended before it was supposed to.

That said, what are some other RPGs with good writing? I've given up on going sci-fi only since it seems that KOTOR and Mass Effect are the only good sci-fi games of the last decade. To this day I still love Fallout and Fallout 2, and I remember Planescape: Torment being pretty rad but I never finished it due to it glitching on me.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

So I started playing the Spirit Engine 2 again after being stuck on the last chapter forever on a fight that would never end because I just couldnt do enough damage, finally got trough it, and right after that my save got corrupted and I lost all the progress I had. Goddamn.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bigass Moth posted:

Here is what I am looking for in an RPG. Please tell me if anything recent fits the bill.

I want a traditional turn-based game, with a realistic non-anime story. Is there anything in the world like this?
Honestly I laughed inside when I read "RPG" and "realistic" together. At least in my head, pretty much by definition RPGs present you with some ridiculous world full of craziness, whether it's fantasy or scifi or Japanese or Western or whatever.

edit: leaving aside the few oddballs like Alpha Protocol, which as we have established, is not a good game, nor is it turn-based like you want.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 12, 2010

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Honestly I laughed inside when I read "RPG" and "realistic" together. At least in my head, pretty much by definition RPGs present you with some ridiculous world full of craziness, whether it's fantasy or scifi or Japanese or Western or whatever.

edit: leaving aside the few oddballs like Alpha Protocol, which as we have established, is not a good game, nor is it turn-based like you want.

The only quasi-realistic RPGs I've played in years are the Persona games, but those are only realistic in the sense that they are based in the real world.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

One could argue that being turn-based is inherently not realistic, though I can see what he's asking for.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Xythar posted:

One could argue that being turn-based is inherently not realistic, though I can see what he's asking for.
Yeah, I would very much argue that. Mechanics-wise and usually world-wise too, RPGs are their own thing, completely divorced from reality. Maybe they were originally created as a way to (clumsily) imitate real processes but I don't think they've had any illusions about that for a long time.

edit: much like most games. Pretty much only people who make Call of Duty and stuff are foolish enough to suggest their games are simulating a real experience. Now that flight sims are all but dead, anyway.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 12, 2010

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: leaving aside the few oddballs like Alpha Protocol, which as we have established, is not a good game
I didn't realize that had been established. I personally think it's one of the best RPGs to be released in years, and going by its thread I know I'm not the only one. It took reactivity to the players actions and choices to a level I've never seen in an RPG, and it did a lot of things I'd like to see more RPGs do.

The biggest thing it got faulted for was being an 'inexcusable technical mess', but when games by Bioware and Bethesda regularly win game of the year awards and near perfect scores across the board, I can't help but feel there's a bit of a double-standard going in that area. The gameplay is no more sloppy than something like the original Mass Effect, and I'd argue it's actually quite a bit stronger in most most places.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Hannibal Smith posted:

I didn't realize that had been established. I personally think it's one of the best RPGs to be released in years, and going by its thread I know I'm not the only one. It took reactivity to the players actions and choices to a level I've never seen in an RPG, and it did a lot of things I'd like to see more RPGs do.

The biggest thing it got faulted for was being an 'inexcusable technical mess', but when games by Bioware and Bethesda regularly win game of the year awards and near perfect scores across the board, I can't help but feel there's a bit of a double-standard going in that area. The gameplay is no more sloppy than something like the original Mass Effect, and I'd argue it's actually quite a bit stronger in most most places.

From what I hear it is a poorly balanced Deus Ex clone with forced combat sections.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm of the school that Alpha Protocol was amazing and I enjoyed playing the game as much as I enjoyed the excellent writing. I didn't even pick the cheesed skills like stealth and pistols. I played an assault rifle/shotgun/infiltration expert and basically ran from point A to point B killing every mother fucker that got in my way. It was a blast so I played a second time as a serious spy veteran who mastered in stealth and pistols to chain shot my way through the entire thing in half the time.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

RentCavalier posted:

From what I hear it is a poorly balanced Deus Ex clone with forced combat sections.
I'd recommend giving it a try yourself if you're even remotely interested in the premise. The thread for the game is full of people saying essentially, "I skipped this game initially due to the reviews, but I'm playing it now and I love it!"

The game does have issues, although I think most of them are overstated, but it's still one of the most enjoyable, unique, and innovative RPGs I've ever played. I've already done six playthroughs since its release, and if there weren't so many other games coming out so soon I'd probably start another one.

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
Is there such a thing as a rpg with menu driven combat but without random encounters or grind? I can't really think of any.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Teaches of Peaches posted:

Is there such a thing as a rpg with menu driven combat but without random encounters or grind? I can't really think of any.

Define grind. Like Grandia has enemies visible on the dungeon map so there are no random encounters, the battles are menu based despite the strict timing, and so long as you kill about 70% of the enemies in a dungeon you'll be fine.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Off the top of my head, Riviera on the GBA and PSP, its almost like an adventure game with JRPG elements. It is a Dept. Heaven game though, so it has the downside of being weird as poo poo.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 30, 2014

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...

Barudak posted:

Define grind. Like Grandia has enemies visible on the dungeon map so there are no random encounters, the battles are menu based despite the strict timing, and so long as you kill about 70% of the enemies in a dungeon you'll be fine.

I mean having to run in circles for hours to level up to fight the next boss or to upgrade equipment or skills. I guess I should say no heavy grinding, because I don't mind having to kill stuff, just don't like having to stop what I am doing to go grind for whatever reason.

homeless snail posted:

Off the top of my head, Riviera on the GBA and PSP, its almost like an adventure game with JRPG elements. It is a Dept. Heaven game though, so it has the downside of being weird as poo poo.

I unfortunately don't have either of those systems but I will check into them anyway.

Jesto posted:

Chrono Cross
Exit Fate

Man I haven't played Chrono Cross in forever.. I wonder if I can find my cds. I remember playing Exit Fate but I felt I was missing something because I often got to battles that would last forever.

Teaches of Peaches fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 14, 2010

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Xenosaga series. Visible enemies, no reason to ever grind (though it makes it easier to grind for an hour or two) unless you want the extra bosses and poo poo (which is grind required practically).

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Seconding Xenosaga, also Temple of Elemental Evil was just released on GOG.com. The most faithful rendition of 3e D&D rules, no random encounters, all turn-based and menu driven. I think the closest thing to a random encounter is monsters wandering by if you sleep in a dangerous area, which you never have to do.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Armor-Piercing posted:

Seconding Xenosaga, also Temple of Elemental Evil was just released on GOG.com. The most faithful rendition of 3e D&D rules, no random encounters, all turn-based and menu driven. I think the closest thing to a random encounter is monsters wandering by if you sleep in a dangerous area, which you never have to do.
I think I might give ToEE a try myself. I want to know though, does it have lots of diverse unique equipment hiding in dungeons, like Baldur's Gate? Dragon Age let me down in that department, as does the Witcher and hell...almost everything these days. Well-designed unique weapons have completely given way to either a crafting system, or randomized loot.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Most modern JRPGs don't require grinding at at all (Don't grind in modern RPGs, don't do it). Most people grind unnecessarily until they're horribly overpowered and just mash A to win, then they complain that the games require no strategy and has too much grinding. Try Persona 3 FES, then don't play a single floor of tartarus more than once unless you have a specific goal in mind (a quest reward you really want, or a persona you want to fuse). There's no random encounters, battles are quick, and realistically most people will end up grinding a little bit before a couple bosses but not much. The only real reason to grind is for post-game content.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

[quote="Dr. Video Games 0031"]
(Don't grind in modern RPGs, don't do it)

I agree, but I also agree with the first and second posts in that thread.

I play rpgs to zone out, not something where I have to concentrate on what I'm doing. Also my 100% completion :spergin:

Chapel
Jun 28, 2008

yes wait yes
Man oh man I wish there was a new Ogre Battle.

I wish I could say I've played anything like the N64 version. But nooooo they hadda go make loving Disgea instead.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Um, most JRPGs released since 2001 or so?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've only played the second Grandia and it was great, it was all about timing and positioning. Early game, with only a single character it was all about timing your interupts and crits to get ahead. Mid game, it was all about grouping enemies together and punishing them with an AoE doomblast. Late game turned into a bit of a clusterfuck though.

I still had a blast early on during the rigged fight against crossbow wielding succubus boss-thing, as the PC version would spontaneously bug out and not continue without you dropping her to 0hp. I tried my best and I'd run around dodging projectiles and hitting whenever I got a chance, but I lost a few times until the bug would spontaneously resolve itself.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Story and gameplay are pretty much inversely proportional to each other in Grandia and they've managed to improve the gameplay with each successive game. Take from that what you will.

Also Grandia 3 had like, shockingly good graphics at the time. I kinda don't want to play it again now and ruin my memories.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I sure liked Grandia 3 too, but all I remember is the joyously awesome combat. Literally everything else is a blur.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I sure liked Grandia 3 too, but all I remember is the joyously awesome combat. Literally everything else is a blur.

Exactly how it should be. Seriously, the plot is atrocious and there is a point where like 2/3 through they basically just start a whole new plot out of thin air. This is of course, based on my memories of skipping all the dialog to get back to killing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I've actually beaten Grandia 3 twice, once in Japanese where I had no idea what was going on in the plot and once in English where I had no idea what was going on in the plot :rimshot: and I still barely remember what happened, story-wise. The gameplay really is good though, I hope they do another sometime. Xtreme was good as well, I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it yet and wants a Grandia fix.