Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

the most insane thing ive ever seen is still all the star ocean v reviews that start with 'for a game about space, you dont do a lot of space exploration' and end with 'as a long time fan of the series, im disappointed'

He just really wanted one shot out of the window when you're actually in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Endorph posted:

the most insane thing ive ever seen is still all the star ocean v reviews that start with 'for a game about space, you dont do a lot of space exploration' and end with 'as a long time fan of the series, im disappointed'

to be fair so5's budget was so low that they couldn't even afford to show space during the ten minutes you spend in it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
that scene where it's just a guy typing and describing the brutal space combat going on behind the camera is a work of art

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

One of these days I hope to understand the point of the entire Star Ocean series.
Did they just want to create a fantasy RPG named 'Star Ocean' then decided that maybe it should have some stars in it somewhere?
The whole thing is just a step removed from if Mortal Kombat was a cooking simulator.
They could have even pioneered an entire genre of space JRPGs, but nah gently caress that noise.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Star Ocean is technically the first RPG with voice acting right?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuZzvRIj4Vw

I don't even care how bad SO3 was. I still want to play this game.

Shame about what we got.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A Mortal Kombat cooking game would be pretty awesome.

FINISH HIM *adds a twist of lemon and mango smear while plating up grilled salmon*

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Star Ocean 2 is cool because you go to Nede, the most advanced civilization in the universe... and it still looks and feels like a generic fantasy world.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ChrisBTY posted:

One of these days I hope to understand the point of the entire Star Ocean series.
Did they just want to create a fantasy RPG named 'Star Ocean' then decided that maybe it should have some stars in it somewhere?
The whole thing is just a step removed from if Mortal Kombat was a cooking simulator.
They could have even pioneered an entire genre of space JRPGs, but nah gently caress that noise.

some people who worked on tales of phantasia didn't want to work at bandai namco so they left and made a worse tales of phantasia and made it their big series

HGH posted:

Star Ocean is technically the first RPG with voice acting right?

not even nearly, there are several pc engine games predating it by like five years. voice acting was such a big thing for that system that most games didn't even have subtitles, which means the only way for people to fully translate them is to dub over them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIezs6szii0&t=26s

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 19, 2017

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

Star Ocean 2 is cool because you go to Nede, the most advanced civilization in the universe... and it still looks and feels like a generic fantasy world.

they have a tv monitor that displays a picture of a baby

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Tae posted:

Witcher 3 combat was fine, like being "bad" is overstated for whatever reason.

The mass effect series had good combat.

Witcher 3 combat is decent, its just that the game is very long and it gets tiresome to fight some ghouls for the 100th time. Thanfully both expansions shake things up enough so that it never gets that bad

Witcher 1 had some of the worst combat ive seen in wrpg

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

thank you white dragon for this lore

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The Colonel posted:

some people who worked on tales of phantasia didn't want to work at bandai namco so they left and made a worse tales of phantasia and made it their big series

I honestly think Star Ocean is a better RPG than Tales of Phantasia for definitions of "better" that mainly mean "deeper." The story is probably worse on the whole but PAs are proto-skits before skits were even conceived and the build and craft systems were pretty sweeping and that makes combats more interesting because it draws in a lot of resource management and item prep/strategy while Phantasia is basically Tanking RPG with a kitchen-sinkier fantasy setting. It's just that Star Ocean never meaningfully advanced from there, even to this day, and instead made a bunch of stories no one cared about and features no one liked, while Tales evolved by leaps and bounds and found its own proper niches.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there is a haze of oppressive mundanity that hangs over the whole star ocean series

even when you learn the universe is a video game it's incredibly muted and dull, you just wind up in a hologramy town full of the same dull-eyed villagers as everywhere else except now they're all wearing purple robes and one of them goes "hey shouldn't you be in the video game we were playing, ie your universe, which is a video game"

SO3 is so cowardly that it couldn't even fully define how the video-game thing worked, whether your characters were directly controlled by the 4D inhabitants or if it was more like a glorified version of The Sims

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
SO3 is basically Xenogears/Blades written by idiots who thought the idea of a Gnostic-style Flawed Creator and the world we see being this lower rung of existence was cool but also really .hack.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

A Mortal Kombat cooking game would be pretty awesome.

FINISH HIM *adds a twist of lemon and mango smear while plating up grilled salmon*

This is probably the closest we'll get
http://www.battlechefbrigade.com/

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

there is a haze of oppressive mundanity that hangs over the whole star ocean series

even when you learn the universe is a video game it's incredibly muted and dull, you just wind up in a hologramy town full of the same dull-eyed villagers as everywhere else except now they're all wearing purple robes and one of them goes "hey shouldn't you be in the video game we were playing, ie your universe, which is a video game"

SO3 is so cowardly that it couldn't even fully define how the video-game thing worked, whether your characters were directly controlled by the 4D inhabitants or if it was more like a glorified version of The Sims

the impression i got from dialogue was that it was just a giant mmo with i guess way way way more npcs than pcs.

i still like the theory that claude was a PC because he keeps giving video game scores at the end of each battle, but he also went to school for video game fighting so...inconclusive.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Caphi posted:

I honestly think Star Ocean is a better RPG than Tales of Phantasia for definitions of "better" that mainly mean "deeper." The story is probably worse on the whole but PAs are proto-skits before skits were even conceived and the build and craft systems were pretty sweeping and that makes combats more interesting because it draws in a lot of resource management and item prep/strategy while Phantasia is basically Tanking RPG with a kitchen-sinkier fantasy setting. It's just that Star Ocean never meaningfully advanced from there, even to this day, and instead made a bunch of stories no one cared about and features no one liked, while Tales evolved by leaps and bounds and found its own proper niches.

Star Ocean 1 is impressive from a technical standpoint, because wow they managed to cram a lot onto the SFC, but a lot of the features don't actually work so.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Another stupid thing about Star Ocean 3 was that it had 300 achievements, which seems awesome until you look at them and see that the vast majority are for stupid bullshit like "defeat the final boss solo in less than a minute on max difficulty while taking no damage"

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Another stupid thing about Star Ocean 3 was that it had 300 achievements, which seems awesome until you look at them and see that the vast majority are for stupid bullshit like "defeat the final boss solo in less than a minute on max difficulty while taking no damage"

Deal 99,999 damage using only the metal pipe.
Defeat Ethereal Queen using only Anti-Attack Auras
Defeat Freya on 4D difficulty while taking no damage

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Chain of 500

"Did I ever have that bonus gauge for longer than a couple battles?"

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Phantasium posted:

"Did I ever have that bonus gauge for longer than a couple battles?"

SPIDERBOT: "lolno"

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Farming achievements till the end of time seems like a terrible reason to keep playing SO3.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Deal 99,999 damage using only the metal pipe.
Defeat Ethereal Queen using only Anti-Attack Auras
Defeat Freya on 4D difficulty while taking no damage

The 4D challenges are deceptively easy because the AI is busted in that mode.

quote:

It's actually not a glitch, but a result of how the AI is programmed to act. Effectively, the AI will remain stationary if they do not have an action to perform. Since enemies in 4-D difficulty prioritize attacking the active party above all else - by exploiting how the AI finds targets for attack and thus making your party "invisible" to the enemy AI, it is possible to prevent enemies from taking any aggressive action.

For practical purposes, as long as a character is not in their stationary or casting animation when the enemy has just finished taking an action, then said character will never be directly targeted by said enemy. If you are competent in using ally AI or micromanaging the entire active party, you can use the No Movement exploit to prevent the entire team from being targeted.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TurnipFritter posted:

i love it though, it's the embodiment of star ocean 2's lazy jank.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think i would've had a much easier time getting into so2 if the opening wasn't like the dullest thing i've ever played. it's not that long but it felt so loving long to me

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Am I misremembering or does it go a little faster if you just choose Rena (since you're already on the planet)?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

Am I misremembering or does it go a little faster if you just choose Rena (since you're already on the planet)?

i picked rena and i still felt like i was spending an eternity reading dialog between the dullest characters ever written

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

yes. "regis" just....never stops talking though.

frameskip feels necessary for all ps2/psx games

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Ah, good times

There's an enemy that never does the strong attack that breaks your guard

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

i picked rena and i still felt like i was spending an eternity reading dialog between the dullest characters ever written

Yeah, but at least you can punch people in the face during battle, instead of just boringly swinging a sword or whatever the dude did. (The first time I played SO2, I went so overboard with this, most of my Non-Rena characters tended to die over and over because I spend more time punching people/monsters than healing them.)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Phantasium posted:

no, no, absolutely not. the intro takes just as long, if not a little longer, except when you get to nede... jesus christ it's just relentlessly long because rena learns all this poo poo about nedian history that 1)barely matters and 2) isn't even true and 3) in fact it's such a blatant lie that it's unintentionally misdirecting because of how disjointed, confusing, and pointless it is. just a number of thirty-minute lore dumps.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The thing that turned me off Star Ocean 2 was how...bad?... the hit detection was.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What RPG main characters haven't (primarily) used a sword? I'd say fantasy only but even as Star Ocean shows, even "sci fi" series have the main character use a sword.

Estelle from Trails in the Sky and the main characters in the Suikoden games are the major ones I can think of.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

GrandpaPants posted:

What RPG main characters haven't (primarily) used a sword? I'd say fantasy only but even as Star Ocean shows, even "sci fi" series have the main character use a sword.

Estelle from Trails in the Sky and the main characters in the Suikoden games are the major ones I can think of.

A lot of tales games. Legendia has a fisticuffs main character.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The first two Shadow Hearts and then Xenogears star punchmen.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Serge from chrono cross uses the weird boat oar weapon

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

The thing that turned me off Star Ocean 2 was how...bad?... the hit detection was.

NO THE HIT DETECTION IS PERFECT don't you poo poo talk my beautiful battle system

what wasn't perfect, was how targeting worked, so you couldn't actually attack-in-place and choosing any attack fully dedicated you to running around chasing your target until you, well, probably missed them if they were moving that fast. it's almost kusoge but the hit detection itself is consistent, predictable, and when it encounters a problem-by-design like with high-level head splitter, you understand why it's missing (because of bad planning rather than because of a bad base system)

GrandpaPants posted:

ashley from wild arms 2 is the quintessential character to bring up when it comes to forced jrpg sword saint heroes. because his weapon is a rifle, and he always has it in hand, but he uses the bayonet sword on the end instead of just shooting things

but in wild arms 3, EVERYONE'S main weapon is a gun and it's usually more effective than magic! of course, the strongest attack in the game is still pistol-whipping the enemy, or smashing them with the butt of your rifle

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 19, 2017

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

only one character in your party in xenogears uses a sword and not for most of the game
all your party in wild arms 3 uses guns. I don't think anyone in 2 had a sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

The main characters of Trails in the Sky 3rd and Trails to Zero/Azure.