Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh some of the jokes with musse flirting with rean are actually pretty funny. theyd probably land a lot better if way less of the cast had a crush on him, though. like its one of musse's character beats which'd be fine if it wasnt for the 22 other characters who also have that aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

I always figured the latter was part of the former. She's teasing him, which isn't like inherently hilarious or anything but it's part of being weird and mischievous.

The issue is largely that it's one-note. Like the vast majority of her teasing is directly targeted at Rean and directly sexual. Rather than focusing on the idea that she is mischievous and enjoys causing general trouble you instead see a hyper-focus on Rean.

It also doesn't help that Sharon and Alfin both exist who do the exact same thing in pretty much exactly the same way, just targeted at other characters, so Musse feels like she's reheating the same joke you're already seeing anytime Elise or Alisia are onscreen, in addition to the fact that Every Female Character Except Angelica has a crush on Rean.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I felt like it landed a little differently to me because it never felt like she was actually interested in him (not at first, anyway), and she was only doing it specifically because it made him uncomfortable.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

one more reason why Aurelia owns

I'm gonna be disappointed when she joins the harem in the fourth game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

one more reason why Aurelia owns

I'm gonna be disappointed when she joins the harem in the fourth game

Just give me a game starring Aurelia.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Amppelix posted:

^^ how does the old team being there have relevance to whether the translation quality is worse or not? both can be true at the same time

basically any time you see the term "that person" used in a japanese to english translation, it's a pretty good sign that the translation may be clumsy.

i appreciated the team effort to localize edgeworth wright 2 but it was packed so loving full of anglicized japanese idioms lol

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Edit: Nevermind

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

i appreciated the team effort to localize edgeworth wright 2 but it was packed so loving full of anglicized japanese idioms lol
Translation's a tough game. You've gotta stay cool. Clear mirror still water.

Masakado
Aug 6, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

That whole series is probably the single most difficult to translate I've ever seen. I've never played the English versions so I can't speak to their quality but the fact that they even exist is amazing. Every single case there's something that I can't imagine translating without radically changing clues or sometimes large elements of the story. There are so many things that anyone not Japanese is not likely to get like "hey this kimono has its flaps folded backward" or "let's make an entire case revolve around rakugo and the difference between how udon and soba noodles are made."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well the first game was written assuming it would get an english release so none of that is a problem in it but in later games they just kinda wing it

it's funny that the reason dai gyakuten will never get officially tled probably still has more to do with the doyle estate than with any of that

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Clarste posted:

I thought CS3 was way better when focused on the new characters than when it felt obligated to parade around the army of older characters.

Although maybe I'm weird since I don't really mind Musse even.
I think there is a version of CS3 where they shuffle off the rest of Old Class VII to more deliberate cameo status (or don't even have them show up at all) that lets the new cast carry the story more, though even with that opportunity I struggle to see them able to write a Kurt that'd work for me. He feels like someone who has been inserted into the story for the sole reason of highlighting how Cedric has changed and outside of that they have to pull character beats out of thin air that feel completely boilerplate even by Trails trope standards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I think there is a version of CS3 where they shuffle off the rest of Old Class VII to more deliberate cameo status (or don't even have them show up at all) that lets the new cast carry the story more, though even with that opportunity I struggle to see them able to write a Kurt that'd work for me. He feels like someone who has been inserted into the story for the sole reason of highlighting how Cedric has changed and outside of that they have to pull character beats out of thin air that feel completely boilerplate even by Trails trope standards.

Hey now, Kurt has the personality of Sword and Also Sword! That's one more Sword than some people!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It really feels like kurt exists primarily to be the male student in the initial class 7 and all the actual ideas for a guy involve Ash. I don't hate him but personality wise he just feels like male Laura without any of the stuff that made Laura cool.

Iunno, if he were nmore of a deadbeat who gave up after Cedric ditched him or something and had to be brought around to trying again he'd have more of an arc. Or something like that. As it is he apparently struggles with selfdoubt but his personality doesn't actually change any when he overcomes that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

It really feels like kurt exists primarily to be the male student in the initial class 7 and all the actual ideas for a guy involve Ash. I don't hate him but personality wise he just feels like male Laura without any of the stuff that made Laura cool.

Iunno, if he were nmore of a deadbeat who gave up after Cedric ditched him or something and had to be brought around to trying again he'd have more of an arc. Or something like that. As it is he apparently struggles with selfdoubt but his personality doesn't actually change any when he overcomes that.

Honestly yeah that sums up my feelings on him really well. In a way it feels like he's supposed to be generic in the same way that Rean is generic. (Right down to repeating the exact same interaction with Juna when they first meet) Just with the issue that rather than being the main character he's introduced as a supporting character in the third game in the series which itself is also dovetailing with two previous JRPGs where a good chunk of both of their characters are returning and informing the plot and where I'd much rather see his brother and Olivier's Canon Boyfriend Mueller instead.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Colonel posted:

well the first game was written assuming it would get an english release so none of that is a problem in it but in later games they just kinda wing it

it's funny that the reason dai gyakuten will never get officially tled probably still has more to do with the doyle estate than with any of that

people used to make holmes games in the west all the time without contacting the doyle estate, did something change to make holmes not public domain?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

I kept expecting something like this to happen, but it just never did. Whenever the Prince showed up I would think "Alright Kurt here it is, this is you're time to shine."

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 8, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jazerus posted:

people used to make holmes games in the west all the time without contacting the doyle estate, did something change to make holmes not public domain?

The last stories dont become public domain until 2022/2023 and the doyle estate is now aggressively squeezing every remaining penny by seeing if you reference a story or element found in the remaining under copyright works.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the dumbest recent excuse they've found for suing something for its use of holmes is having holmes be too cool of a guy, because in the stories that are in the public domain he's just kind of a dick. and dai gyakuten's portrayal of him, on top of other stuff, mostly depicts him as a funny and likable guy

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
just pitching in to say that I agree that TOCS3 almost killed the series for me. All of the tropey characters, clown car cutscenes, everyone lusting after rean, incest, terrible plot pacing, and lack of focus really did it no favors. The worst part is that the game was pretty good when it just focused on the new class and their story. However, I'm convinced they have no idea where they're going, and if they were smart they'd dial it back. Unfortunately, it seems as though they just think more more more is the answer, which sucks.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I want to say that they are too in love with their own characters to let any of them go, but I'm not sure if that actually means anything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Clarste posted:

I want to say that they are too in love with their own characters to let any of them go, but I'm not sure if that actually means anything.

Just for the jump from PS3 to PS4 they really should've moved onto a new subseries rather than Cold Steel 3/4. The problem is they wrote themselves into a corner after CS2, because Osbourne's hosed over Ouroboros and taken center-stage and you can't escape Rean being the ongoing protagonist because of that.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

The Colonel posted:

I'm so glad there's a quality fan translation group working on DGS series. First one was probably the most I've enjoyed an Ace Attorney game since I first picked up the original trilogy.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Masakado posted:

That whole series is probably the single most difficult to translate I've ever seen. I've never played the English versions so I can't speak to their quality but the fact that they even exist is amazing. Every single case there's something that I can't imagine translating without radically changing clues or sometimes large elements of the story. There are so many things that anyone not Japanese is not likely to get like "hey this kimono has its flaps folded backward" or "let's make an entire case revolve around rakugo and the difference between how udon and soba noodles are made."

I don't understand, they all take place in California and feature the characters enjoying delicious hamburgers :confused:

Seems pretty easy to me :v:

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

SWORD ART ONLINE Alicization Lycoris (I had to copy that) is out tomorrow. Any buzz going for it? It looks nice but seems like it runs like dogshit on the pre-release streams that are out. Anyone going to be getting it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly as I get further I've realized my biggest issue with ToCS3 is that it feels afraid of conflict even when it shouldn't be.

Everyone even remotely on the hero side gets along despite the fact that they have plenty of reason to be in opposition. One of the interesting things about ToCS1 and 2 were how the contextualized the people of the empire in their own land. In comparison ToCS3 is so desperate for everyone to be friends that it feels like it won't allow anyone to hold even a tiny grudge over, say, the conquering of their country or a false flag attack that was covered up. And that sucks because that would be more interesting if instead of trying to make the Super Friendship Brigade Mk II you actually got to see these characters in genuine conflict with one another and having to struggle with their actions.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I don't understand, they all take place in California and feature the characters enjoying delicious hamburgers :confused:

Seems pretty easy to me :v:

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that PW's wacko Los Angeles is explained by saying that the US never interred Japanese immigrants during WW2 and instead welcomed them with open arms resulting in the cultural blending we see.

Or I just made that up. One of the two. Either way.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that is not explained in the games, but on the blog of the original localisation lead janet hsu. it's less canon and more the headcanon the translators look to when they find yet another case of hard to localise japanese elements.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Mokinokaro posted:

No, they're still around.

Their last releases were This Starry Midnight We Make and its sort of sequel The Midnight Sanctuary

They tend to go VERY quiet between releases though and the market is a lot more competitive than it was when they started. Robin doesn't really do social media and SpaceDrake mostly chats about FF XIV.

They could at least update their website.

Also, it seems that they got "Working Designed" as in after their first successful string of titles they found themselves in a market where localizations are plenty. I mean that Midnight Sanctuary game is published by SONY.

Clarste posted:

I talked to him about doing a translation of FMW like a year ago but he wasn't interested.

FNW?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Fantasy Maiden Wars. A Touhou fangame in the style of Super Robot Wars. I just thought, you know, he might have contacts in the doujin scene that could help get it translated.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Clarste posted:

Fantasy Maiden Wars. A Touhou fangame in the style of Super Robot Wars. I just thought, you know, he might have contacts in the doujin scene that could help get it translated.

Yeah, that would be a great get.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

punk rebel ecks posted:

They could at least update their website.

Also, it seems that they got "Working Designed" as in after their first successful string of titles they found themselves in a market where localizations are plenty. I mean that Midnight Sanctuary game is published by SONY.

it's published by sony because they struck a deal to get it a ps4 release, the translation was handled by carpe fulgur

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's also published by sony music entertainment, not the more generally well-known divisions of sony to the west. sonic music's historically been responsible for a number of sony's weirder releases, afaik they were at their most prominent in the ps1 era and nowadays they mostly handle a handful of indie releases

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

How does "The Far East of Eden" series hold up? I'm thinking of trying out Zero for the Super Famicom.

The Colonel posted:

it's published by sony because they struck a deal to get it a ps4 release, the translation was handled by carpe fulgur

Oh wow, I wouldn't have guessed that! Good on them.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tengai makyou zero is a technically interesting game for what it is but i've heard its design is kinda dated. the only games in the series i've heard a lot of praise for in particular are ii and iv, but neither of them are translated

i hope ii gets a tl in some form some day, it'd be nice to get one of shoji masuda's earlier games in english. though if i had to pick one i'd go with gunparade march, but i guess the only one of his older games that's ever likely to get tled is linda cube for being the most notorious

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I find it crazy since the games seem to have been popular in Japan yet were never given a Western release.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It makes sense when you consider that Far East of Eden's primary goal in existing is to mock and belittle western culture and its relation to Japanese culture.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The entire premise of the series is that they are histories of Japan written by a 19th century Oriental Studies professor. So everything insane that happens in them has the meta joke of being presented as legitimate history in a western university, and everyone else nodding along seriously.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

How mean-spirited are we talking here? Because on face value that actually sounds like it could be great, depending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i still wonder what the original tengai makyou iii would've been like, since it was being directed by masuda and had tons of concept art from tatsuyuki tanaka looking way more in line with linda cube. lots of weird ancient cityscapes, a weak-looking kid protag facing down strange horrors, illustrations of a weird bloody slaughterhouse.

kind of incredible all that concept art was for a tengai makyou game considering how... not tengai makyou any of it feels. and tengai makyou iii being cancelled and then just jumping straight over it to iv kinda adds to that lol. makes the original tengai makyou iii feel like a weird ghost game even though effectively the team just turned it into its own indie jrpg

like jesus compare this to how tengai makyou iv looks

i dunno how many video game series meta jokes come close to the level of tengai makyou iii, a game that was cancelled, skipped over and then years later they just made an entirely different, unrelated ps2 game and called it tengai makyou iii

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 9, 2020