Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Do the pricks making comedies in Hollywood not realize we are in a loving recession? The pointless lives of the quoditian are spiraling out of control and all we want in exchange for our hard-earned $10 is to piss ourselves laughing. I've had to endure a lot of dickless comedy this year, so thank loving criminy for Fubar II. Those who haven't seen the original should rent it, but pre-knowledge of the characters is about as necessary for your enjoyment as a condom. Hollywood should take notes and whip out the giant novelty chequebook--more Canadian talents await your purge.

When we last left Terry (David Lawrence) and Deaner (Paul Spence), the latter had lost a ball to cancer. It must be about a decade later, and old habits die hard. After getting evicted from their trashed townhouse, the boys take a trip up north to Fort McMurray to score a pipeline job off old buddy Tron (Andrew Sparacino). The politics of the oilsands are spelled out explicitly in a scene where they kick out an activist hitcher and steal his weed. Alberta gets poo poo on a lot--mostly for good reason--but this flick does a good job giving a human face to the blue-collar hopheads who actually work there, patron the ripper bars and get skied up with their newfound wealth. It makes for good hubris--Terry taps out his credit on a house and truck, then gets laid off a month short of qualifying for EI. Dean meanwhile nurses higher aspirations--getting on disability.

Holy poo poo are these guys skeezy--you can almost smell the stale booze and BO wafting through the screen. Luckily they are funnier than a fart in church. The gags here are numerous, original and tight. I thought I had seen every interpretation of the falling-asleep-with-a-lit-cigarette gag, or the poo poo-in-a-household-appliance gag; but I was wrong. These people feel real, like the flannel figments of house parties past. Too many movies are geared towards yuppies who lube up to back issues of Architectural Digest, and who increasingly appear to be figments of bad screenwriter's imaginations. This movie's Northern Alberta is the real deal; littered with smoke plumes, dive bars, and sodless housing developments. The people are ugly, crude and daft. One character hauls off a crack pipe. All are at the very least alcoholics. And most have small, redeeming aspects that defecate on the insincere attempts at sentimentality of Apatow & his sphere.

It's movies like this that make me thankful for the Film Dump and its dozen daily viewers. The economy is hosed, our lives are inconsequential and we're all gonna die, sure; but laughter acts like morphine. If this great comedy is playing in your place of residence and you miss it, you'll die sooner--simple science. Fubar II gets a loving five.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYn3TUmpKO8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU