Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Just picked up a used (though flawless) Incredible I, rooted it with unrevoked, and am absolutely thrilled with it coming from a lovely HTC Ozone.

The phone came with a massive 3500mah extended battery, so battery life isn't as terrible as I'd feared. I picked up juicedefender from the market and it seems to be a bit better today, although I don't know if that's the best app for managing connectivity. Seems to have alot more options than some of the others I was looking at at least.

I looked at XDA for ROM's to check out, but I have no idea what's good for this phone, and the different options were kind of over my head. I've seen cyanogen recommended frequently, but I have no idea where to start or if that's even the best choice. I like Sense but it's not essential really. So, is anyone familiar with recent, well-tested ROM's that I should be looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

teamdest posted:

For the incredible, cyanogen is awesome, there are a couple sense 3.5 roms, but stay away from nil's gingersense, there are network dropout issues.

Holy poo poo thank you. Just setup CM7 and it rocks. There's a weird thing where the brightness isn't working correctly that I'll need to play around with, but other than that it's so much smoother than the stock ROM.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Penguissimo posted:

IIRC, the default auto-brightness settings are for the AMOLED Inc, so if you have an SLCD phone, they'll end up being wacky (and generally too dark). You can edit the auto-brightness settings by going to Settings: CM Settings: Display: Automatic Backlight, ticking "Use Custom" under "Light levels", and then going to "Edit other levels". I have an SLCD Inc, and I've had good luck with these settings:
I can't seem to change the upper limits for the detected ambient light columns. I can set new levels, but I can only change the lower limits with the upper limits being greyed-out.

Edit: I changed the 5 present rows with upper limits set, using roughly the same brightness settings from your list, and adaptive brightness is now working at least. I'm going to have to keep working at it until I can find a good setting. No idea why I can't change the upper limits though.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 14, 2011

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Penguissimo posted:

Unfortunately that's just the way their asinine interface works. The upper limits are set to (the next upper limit-1). To create additional tiers (if you want to copy my chart exactly), scroll to the bottom and tap the "Set number of levels" button, then enter 10. You'll then have to set all 10 levels (remember that the Inc can only measure these 10 discrete values anyway, so more wouldn't do you any good) by tapping each button in the far-left column.

Definitely way more of a pain than it needs to be, but totally worth it in the end.

Got it, thanks - It took me a minute to figure out but it suddenly dawned on me to click the next level tier.

For "lights decrease" on the parent menu, is there a specific hysteresis setting I should be using (using the default 50% right now), and should the "screen dim level" be set to something besides the default of 20? Wasn't sure what those settings affected. I also have the light sensor filter enabled but I don't know if I need that.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Penguissimo posted:

IIRC, the default auto-brightness settings are for the AMOLED Inc, so if you have an SLCD phone, they'll end up being wacky (and generally too dark). You can edit the auto-brightness settings by going to Settings: CM Settings: Display: Automatic Backlight, ticking "Use Custom" under "Light levels", and then going to "Edit other levels". I have an SLCD Inc, and I've had good luck with these settings:

0-159: 40
160-224: 55
225-319: 70
320-639: 90
640-1279: 120
1280-2599: 150
2600-5799: 175
5800-7999: 200
8000-10239: 255
10240 and up: 255

The left-hand column is the ambient light value detected by the light sensor, and the right-hand column is the corresponding screen brightness. You may want to play around with the numbers in the right-hand column to suit your preferences, but you should know that the Inc's light sensor can only report ten discrete values (which are already accounted for in the left-hand column), so I wouldn't change anything there.

Just revisiting this - I've tried different settings for the 10 sensors settings, but the phone only seems to be reading the first setting (0-159). No matter what I set in the other fields, only the setting in that row changes. At the top of the menu it lists the sensors as 10/10 and the next line says screen: disabled. I think that may be why it's not checking the ambient sensors levels, but I can't find anything in the display menu that would set that. Screen dimming and timeout works properly, but the ambient sensor doesn't seem to be having any effect.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Penguissimo posted:

That's...bizarre. I've never seen that before; not really sure what to tell you. Are you running the stock CM kernel?
As far as I know, yes. I didn't install a different kernel and the original owner said he never rooted the phone (I have no reason to doubt him on this). I'm just using manual brightness at the moment, and it's not really a big issue for me since I have the screen set to timeout in a short interval (with a delay on the lockscreen). I just thought it was strange that it wasn't reading the other levels.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Mosaic Perception posted:

Not sure what Odin is but as far as UAC I can't even get the drivers to install correctly and when I plug in my phone is just recognizes it then says it's been removed over and over. Have looked around and lots of other people seem to have the same issue with Samsung's drivers and 64 bit windows 7. There are fixes but they don't work for everyone and none work for me. I have an old XP laptop going to try to get it going on there but if not need to find an alternate way to do this.
You can temporarily disable driver-signing on 64-bit Windows 7 if you can't get it working on XP.

Just use the instructions at the very top of the post:
http://www.thegeekprofessor.com/tips-and-tricks/hacks/windows7/turn-off-driver-signing-enforcement-in-windows-7/

I used the HBOOT drivers from unrevoked for mine (not sure if these will work on a Samsung device):
http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/windows_hboot_driver_install

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Mark Larson posted:

HBOOT and Unrevoked are only for HTC phones.

Ahh OK, that's kinda what I figured.

Also, does anyone have a link for a stock RUU for a Droid Incredible (I)? I made a full backup of the stock ROM before I loaded CM7 but I figure I should grab a stock copy just in case if I ever need to resell the phone. Looked around a bit and wasn't sure if I was looking at the right RUU versions. The radio # is 2.15.00.07.28 according to HBOOT.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Jeff Goldblum posted:

So I just caught my phone attempting to patch the kernel used in unlocking my Razr M's bootloader. The exploit has been known since April of this year, so I guess Motorola/Verizon are pretty intent on stopping it. Fortunately, I have the update in a state of deadlock, due to my phone's charge being too low.

In any case, it's brought back the old argument I had when I first got this thing. Initially, since the phone came with 4.1 already, I knew nothing about rooting, and if I bricked the phone I'd be screwed since I wouldn't see another discount on a replacement from Verizon until 2015 (even though I bought the phone on Amazon). Fast forward seven months later, any manufacturer warrant is probably nil anyway, and I never pay Verizon for anything more than my service; but, I still have no idea what I'm doing.
As long as you've postponed the update you can root it easily with motochopper: http://www.andromods.com/root-unlock/new-rooted-method-droid-razr-maxx-hd-jelly-bean.html

After that if you want to unlock the bootloader, it's also easy to do (I've only rooted for Titanium Backup & Autostarts, but it's a one-click tool to unlock) : http://vulnfactory.org/blog/2013/04/08/motorola-bootloader-unlocking/

quote:

and something I'd really like to know: what superuser binaries am I supposed to put on a Razr M?
SuperSU works fine, however if you plan to do OTA updates at any point you'd want to make a backup of the latest updated binary with OTA Rootkeeper and use that to restore.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Milky_Sauce posted:

Anyway, where do I go for a simple place to just tell me what the best ROM for this phone is and be done with it? I don't have the time to experiment, I just want plain Android, and I don't even so much as see anything in the way of anyone ever releasing a ROM for this phone. What gives? Am I looking in the wrong spots? It has been a long time. Or is the fact that the bootloader has been unlocked not that big of a deal and I shouldn't care?
I didn't actually bother with any custom firmware stuff for mine - the phone's close enough to stock that Titanium Backup will take care of any useless stuff other than some random icons. With Apex or Nova Launcher you can freeze the Homescreen/Circles/Quickview apps to cover the rest of the Motorola stuff, although I wouldn't advise freezing the other Motorola Services since it can result in bad things. Anything related to VZW backup apps is fine to freeze though.

This is what I've frozen on mine to no ill effects after ~a month of use (the file #'s are different from current as this was prior to the update):
http://pastebin.com/MtJMA45f

You probably don't want to copy the list outright as apps like the file manager (I use root explorer), SmartActions, carmode/vehicle mode, and desk dock may be useful to you, and you should not disable the homescreen or quickview unless you have a custom launcher installed and in-use. Freezing the email app may remove push emails, but I stick to gmail and don't need realtime email updates on my phone so I froze it. You may want to leave emergency alerts in place, although I use a widget that already offers the feature so I didn't see a need to have both of them running.

Beyond that, Widgetlocker will let you change up the lockscreen and Autostarts will allow you to clear out run triggers for other apps you may use infrequently.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Milky_Sauce posted:

Thank you for this. But I do want to update my phone to the newest update. Is there any way to do that without it removing the Bootloader loophole? Meaning, can I update somehow, and still be able to unlock the Bootloader in the future if the need arises?
Probably not. If you want an unlocked bootloader it's best to do it now before the update, since the update patches out the bootloader exploit. It'll be a long time before another exploit comes up to unlock it (if ever).

quote:

And does this mean that huge list you gave me, every single one of those needs to be "reinstalled" before I am allowed to update?
Anything that you freeze would need to be restored before you can do an OTA update. If you're planning to add in a custom ROM you may not need to bother though.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
If you weren't using a Literally Garbage phone you wouldn't need aftermarket software that may or may not perform perfectly depending on the tides and the phases of the moon. Then again, without those sweet HTC emojis that's not really a life worth living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
It's a phone that's supposedly marketed for privacy and security, a niche product that may or not get abandoned as soon as Blackberry gets bored of it, and it'll be on Verizon. The chances of someone bothering to find a root exploit for it are marginal at best.