Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The twist caught me completely by surprise and I'm going to keep watching even though it's not in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Didn't do to great in the ratings, got a .6. Will probably remain a limited series event. There was some talk of them possibly doing more had it done well.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
It's obvious what's going on here. Ascension is in a simulation of a simulation inside another simulation! loving Zigerions!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Well there's always a chance that they'll do a twist at the end of each episode, which would be nice. Leaving things where they are right now is going to be boring.

I just hope it isn't going to turn into a "little girl with magic powers" show.

DarklyDreaming posted:

I think there was a lot of implication that they tell anyone who holds the title of Captain, though I could be wrong.

Crazy theory: The bigger twist is that NASA already has FTL or wormhole technology, but it's too costly to use more than once and they need to prove a few thousand people can get in a ship, land on a planet and spend the next hundred years using that planet's resources to make more ships without deciding to rebel and leave earth to rot

A magic wormhole that allows them to just dump the ship into orbit somewhere 50 years from now would be funny/awesome.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Well there's always a chance that they'll do a twist at the end of each episode, which would be nice. Leaving things where they are right now is going to be boring.

I just hope it isn't going to turn into a "little girl with magic powers" show.

A magic wormhole that allows them to just dump the ship into orbit somewhere 50 years from now would be funny/awesome.
Hahaha that would be an amazing twist. All that time spent on earth oblivious and the moment they realize the truth they are teleported away to their real destination

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Face Off: we're really running out of steam here.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Wait did she just say the Ascension crew celebrates Ostara?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i see this show is the return of eureka

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

ascension isn't actually in space. it's in a top-secret government facility and pretty much everything is controlled to make the mildly clueless passengers on board think that they're actually in space and heading towards the planet/whatever they're supposed to be heading for. no one actually knows why such an elaborate experiment is being run by the government as of yet. to be honest i guess it still has some potential, but i'm not gonna lie: the twist kinda did dishearten me a little bit because it would have been cool if there was less focus overall on the earth side of things.

So pretty much what I said. Joy.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Seems like the show can't really decide if it wants to have tension or not. Lots of angles going but they just kind of get left out there. (oh btw this huge secret thing is just a think tank no big, shh k?)

Nice little turn for the creepy though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The show really likes showing (not) Tricia Helfer's butt.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
might say its their best asset :smug:

Good call to whoever got the inside man/someone knows thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So it looks like another part is that crazy ex-Nazi scientist secretly set it up as a breeding program to create psychics.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

muscles like this? posted:

So it looks like another part is that crazy ex-Nazi scientist secretly set it up as a breeding program to create psychics.

Okay the whole project being a giant Nazi eugenics program to create Aryan Super Psychics is a pretty funny ending.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Show is bad and it should feel bad.

Why should I care about any of this crap on the spaceship when its all on earth anyway. There is no plot other than the big bad secret which they refuse to tell you. I don't know what's at stake so I dont care about the people on the ship. The director dude has a punchable face and that drives me to want to see the whole thing end in failure.

I'll still watch the last episode but it is going to be underwhelming. This is bad even by syfy standards.

Edit: unless the whole show was just a vehicle for the show runners to remind America how great the 1950s were when homosexuality was kept under the table and women did what they were told. Let's juxtapose our perfect 1950s America with an uppity lesbian and a bitchy upper management lady.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 17, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

wait, were there actually nazis involved in some part or another, i might have missed that being mentioned.

if so, the finale might be more hilarious and goofy than any of us might be anticipating

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

If anything they're showing that forcing people to play 1960's for decades on end just leads to a ton of fighting, drinking, and loving behind the scenes. Also I'm pretty sure they had a giant orgy on the beach the night the cooling system was down and they decided to "relax the rules".

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

wait, were there actually nazis involved in some part or another, i might have missed that being mentioned.

if so, the finale might be more hilarious and goofy than any of us might be anticipating

The original guy was described as a concentration camp survivor, IIRC.

Curious to see how they wrap this stuff up anyway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbBX6aEzEz8

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

There was a throwaway line in the beginning about the project founder escaping the Nazis to build spaceships for NASA, "No totally I would have quit if they let me" was the standard excuse for less than apologetic Nazi scientists to get exonerated through Operation Paperclip after the war.

So yeah, it turning out to be a literal "breed the master-race" project seems to be the last twist for tomorrow night.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm fine with whatever at this point to be honest, just let the cool lesbian lady live

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

stuart scott irl posted:

gently caress this show. I wanted to watch a show about a spaceship. I don't care about the show if it's not about a spaceship.

Nobody makes shows about spaceships anymore.

I could only handle about twenty minutes of the Knots Landing/NCIS not in space show before relegating it to background noise. Goddamn, a generation ship sci-fi show and just about every creative decision they made for it is to do just about the exact opposite of anything that makes that type of scifi good.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

They even teased a cool bit of near-C ship physics: a cloud of particles blue-shifted to radiation. Then they snatched it away in favor of some dime store Stanford prison experiment bullshit. gently caress this not-spaceship show.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it feels like they're coming up with plot twists beforehand and then trying to fit weird settings around them that will draw people in with the hopes that the plot twists will keep them around, which is mildly backfiring in this case because a lot of people give more of a poo poo about the cool-sounding setting than they do about whatever odd ~shocking reveal~ that whoever made this is trying to slowly dish out in small bits

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The whole "we took off in the 1950s and have been exposed to no types of outside culture, political ideas, technology or just ways of thinking in general" is done so half-assed on this too. That concept could have redeemed the show by itself if done with even a little bit of dedication beyond "lol, look at all this corny, kitschy stuff from back then".

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i would actually be interested in a longer-running series if the focus was mainly on the workings of a generational spaceship that's made up of people from decades ago, making it a weird time capsule of sorts. i couldn't give a poo poo about earth in a scenario like that. it's too bad they decided to blow the concept on a show that won't even remotely commit to the idea and is mainly acting more as a mini-drama involving breeding mystical psychic children or some poo poo.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
The founder of the program is just a thinly veiled Werner Von Braun.

It weirds me out that Ascension was filmed, and I guess the fictional experiment based, in...Minneapolis. What the gently caress.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
The reveal from Monday makes me feel oddly sad for Tricia Helfer's character. In the outer world this woman would be Lady MacBeth, perhaps pushing her husband into the Presidency or CEO of a major corportion. As is she's turned herself into a pimp/whore to make sure he stays captain of a fake spaceship.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm unironically enjoying this show and don't get the hate for it.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm unironically enjoying this show and don't get the hate for it.

I don't hate the show, but I am disappointed in the reveal. That took this from being 2014: A Space Odyssey to The Truman Show in Space(Not). The stakes just seem so much lower now. Plus, there's a whole new level of disbelief that's been introduced into this thing. We're reluctant to fund real NASA missions even now. The idea that we'd spend millions (billions?) studying 600 people on a fake spaceship (and have been doing it for every President and Congress since 1963) seems ludicrous. Hell, let's just take the Presidents since the Apollo missions stopped. Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush II and Obama all agreed that keeping 600 people locked in a time capsule is absolutely the right thing to do? Yeah, tell me another one.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
See also the novel Endgame Enigma by James Hogan from 1987. This isn't a new idea, but I like the twist and the method of the reveal of that twist.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

If they're tossing a whole warehouse of poo poo out of the "spaceship", shouldn't they run out of raw material? Every time they eject someone's body or their illicit booze they're lowering the amount of carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen in the system.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

If they're tossing a whole warehouse of poo poo out of the "spaceship", shouldn't they run out of raw material? Every time they eject someone's body or their illicit booze they're lowering the amount of carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen in the system.

Given that they also smoke, I figure they don't really keep much track of that stuff.

BTW, I recommend changing this thread's title to "Syfy Megathread - Our Spaceships Never Leave the Ground"

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Well, their logistics is already in the realm of MST3K. 50 years into the mission on their ridiculously spacious ship and they have plenty of make up, smoke-ables, booze from earth, grain to feed pigs, etc. If each person on the ship ate one pound of meat a week, they'd have already gone through more than 15 million pounds of feed, assuming no waste.

I wish they went more into the sociological aspects of the ship. There are 600'ish people on the ship; they would all know each other insanely well. I'm curious how that dynamic would interact with their wacky 60's culture, but clearly this show is not going to take a swing at it. Also, even the characters in 'Dr. Strangelove' understood that to keep up genetic diversity, monogamy is right out.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I hate the whole "lower decker" thing they have going on. In a closed system like a spaceship every single job would be just as important as every other job. Especially in a society of 600 people where you would think everyone knows each other and secrets are at a premium.

Regardless, anything that happens on the ship is completely moot because of the reveal. who gives a poo poo who the captain is. The worst thing that could happen to these people is that they realize they're still on earth. There is no suspense or drama.

In addition to that, the director's motivations are completely nonsensical. Also his acting is terrible. It's pretty obvious that the girl figured out the secret of the ship so he had his man on the inside kill her, it's the reason he doesn't care to find those answers or to have anyone else find them either.

They should have made this into a movie like sharknado. When the people on the ship realize they're still on earth that will be the big reveal but it won't matter because who gives a poo poo. There's a magical psychic girl on board and that's obviously the whole point of the show.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Making it more of a comedy where the signs should be really loving obvious to the crew but no one can figure it out would be funny. When the big reveal happens the crew could think they're being tricked by aliens and just stay on the ship.

It might all be old stories but if it's done well who cares, no one is expecting groundbreaking work from a syfy weeknight event.

As it is, I feel like I should be laughing at the show, but the show is taking itself so seriously that it's just kinda awkward.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This show. Lame. Why? WHHHHYYYY?

Seriously, the fist fight scene was the last drop for me. Guy with tough looking friends insults wife of other guy with tough looking friends. Everyone jogs hastily into their marked choreography positions and starts performing a lovely fist fight choreography like they are a bunch of 5 year olds playing TMNT. Suddenly, a loud siren sounds and we get a "Well guys, you know what that siren means. But let me explain it to you just in case: ...". Lazy exposition vomit ahoy!

Dear show, would it kill you to at least try?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm neutral on Ascension. I don't think it's bad, but there are things about it to me that don't make sense. It was only a 6 hour-ish investment so I'll finish it out, but I won't be recommending it to anyone.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

get hype for what'll probably be nazis breeding psychic children

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

See also the novel Endgame Enigma by James Hogan from 1987. This isn't a new idea, but I like the twist and the method of the reveal of that twist.

See also the UK reality TV series 'Space Cadets' where contestants were hoaxed into thinking they'd been flown to Russia for four weeks of training and then shot into low earth orbit for a spacewalk. Just as they were about to step out into space it was revealed that they were in a simulator and they'd never left the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Why do all of the officers have so many medals? Do they get awarded for starting fights with the lower deckers or something?