Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Teek posted:

(I swear I also saw Colin Ferguson in a split second shot in the trailer, but I could be wrong)

If so, we're both wrong because I saw him too.

Interesting list of directors from Eureka, Stargate, Sanctuary, Andromeda. Also Amanda Tapping, had no idea she was directing anything.

The writers are from Enterprise. :cry:

It'll probably be poo poo but I'll watch it anyway. The original had it's ups and downs and I still enjoyed it. Premier will be Monday, Oct 29th at 10pm; I assume on SyFy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

So I guess it will not be premiering oct 29th.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Butt ton of new shows coming to SyFy

http://geeksoulbrother.com/syfy-28-new-shows-slate/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GreenNight posted:

My fear is that they cancel Alphas and Haven for these.

Alphas is the only SyFy show I somewhat enjoy watching but it seems like they've cut back on Garyisms in season 2 or maybe I'm just getting used to them.

Defiance is a go. Rewind is a go. The Adjustment Bureau looks likely. A pilot was ordered for High Moon. Not sure about the reality shows or any others.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

So, The Thing - The TV Series?

I finally got around to watching the first episode of that new robot fighting show and gawd it is bad. Just imagine a reality tv version of Real Steel; that aside, it is also boring.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Defiance is up on my guide (DISH) if anyone wants to set their DVR.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
SyFy doing science fiction :cawg: And it only took them 2 decades to get around to it.

I fully expect Defiance to be absolute garbage but then I expected the same of Continuum and really liked it. Early rumblings give promise to Defiance though. Hell I'm not real picky if the show is fun, not boring, and doesn't have utterly stupid writing, I watch some of the weekly SyFy movies and even Revolution.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GreenNight posted:

Well, to be honest, Continuum isn't a Syfy show - they're just licensing it to be shown on their network.

Even still, I haven't come to expect quality on that channel.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Teek posted:

With little apparent fanfare, Exit premieres tomorrow:

http://www.syfy.com/exit

It's the American version of the Japanese show Dero!.

Never heard of it before but it sounds like Cube: The TV Show. Is it any good?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
So Thursday is the new Saturday for SyFy? Now that they have Sinbad (any good btw?) and Primeval.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Defiance is laugh aloud bad but it appeals to my inner child.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Helix starts Jan 10th @ 10pm, my DVR is already set. Starring Billy Campbell (The Rocketeer), a bunch of people who look like SyFy movie regulars, and Jeri Ryan is in for a couple episodes.

Couple more new shows: Bitten (sexy werewolves) and Opposite Worlds (reality). OW sounds interesting, a house divided by a glass wall; one side futuristic the other stuck in the past.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=111715

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Helix is awful, even by SyFy standards. It's dumb with no redeeming quality.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GreenNight posted:

If wormil hates it, then I must check it out. I usually enjoy the stuff he hates.

Then Helix will be your favorite show of all time! :barf:

Actually I didn't hate it but was incredibly bored and spent most of the two episodes reading the forums on my phone. I'm a sucker for outbreak/mystery movies but the characters are one dimensional, the drama is conveniently planned out (CDC boss + brother who had affair with boss's wife + ex-wife who wants to be in charge + pretty lab assistant with crush on boss + mysterious military guy + Japanese scientist who is ridiculously obvious about hiding that he knows more than he's telling). Inevitably one or more of the "villains" will be a red herring, a good guy in bad guy disguise. The son will turn against the father. There will be constant tension between man & ex-wife which will cause tension with pretty lab assistant. More and more of each episode will focus on the drama while the mystery becomes a moving goal post. But yeah, I didn't totally hate it (just mostly).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GreenNight posted:

I just caught up on Being Human and man it's a brutal show. They poo poo on the characters at every opportunity.

Did it end up being better than the original?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

quote:

...a covert space mission launched by the U.S. government in 1963, which sent hundreds of men, women, and children on a century-long voyage aboard a starship called Ascension to populate a new world

1963, during the Mercury program, seems like an odd choice. The amount of retconning necessary to make that seem plausible fills me with doubt. Might as well have made it 1953 using a spaceship recovered from the Nazis. It could exist in the same universe as Iron Sky :awesomelon:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I like the premise of Warehouse 13 and I like the characters, for the most part, but the writing is terrible and it's probably good they are ending the series.

I wish they would pick up The Murdoch Mysteries, a Canadian show that is awesome.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

bull3964 posted:

Syfy has picked up another show.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/04/30/syfy-picks-up-scripted-series-killjoys/259091/

Description sounds terrible, but these things often do. I thought Defiance sounded like a terrible idea with the video game tie in and it was one of my favorites of last year.

Defiance was terrible in many ways but I still enjoyed it and will probably enjoy Killjoys too.

Clones sounds exactly like that other awful show they ran this year, I've already forgotten the name. I didn't enjoy that, the 2.5 episodes I watched anyway.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Jim Henson's Creature Shop was fantastic. I would watch that show forever. It was everything Face Off could have been.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The Wil Wheaton Project is a loving riot. Wil Wheaton wasn't especially funny but the show itself is hilarious.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone looking forward to Dominion? I have the DVR set and plan on watching the first episode but am not very interested in the angels/demons thing unless it's very good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Ah, I didn't know there was a movie. I don't know anything about it really.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Pillowpants posted:

The movie was called Legion and it was terrible.

Oh, that movie. Well that just lowers my expectations even more.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

haveblue posted:

It's often too cheesy for its own good but it has it's moments. Watch it if you liked Farscape.

That's a fair comparison. Hopefully S2 is better the way Farscape got better sans the Crighton/Erin love debacle.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Z Nation is the right amount of bad. The constant references to other fiction tickles me more than it should.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They reference all kinds of horror, watching is almost like playing a trivia game. Harold Perrineau and the way he delivered his one liners in ep1 cracked me up, I had to watch it twice. "I give you mercy."

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
"Fire burns. Lava bites." So utterly dumb, I can't wait. Reminds me of all the terrible scifi/horror films of the 50's and 60's that entertained me as a kid but cranked up to insanity.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a good reason all these SyFy films remind you of the 50s Z-list horror movies: a large number of them are produced by Roger Corman. He started out in the 50s with films like The Beast with a Million Eyes, Attack of the Crab Monsters and Night of the Blood Beast and in recent times he's given us Sharktopus, Piranhaconda, Sharktopus vs. Mermantula, Sharktopus vs. Pteracuda, Dinoshark and Dinocroc vs. Supergator.

I like the crazy that has enveloped him in old age.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Needs zombie birds and rats.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
DVR is set. I haven't watch any previews or anything so I'm hoping it's good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I enjoyed it. I'm not blind to the mediocre writing, incongruent tech on the ship, copious amounts of gratuitous sex (which actually did help keep it interesting through some otherwise boring parts) or weird magic child aspect, I just liked it in spite of that. The little girl did a good job of acting considering most kids that age are terrible. And I liked Tricia Helfer's character. Unfortunately my DVR stopped recording just as the escaped guy looked into the sky ... I assume the ship blasted off or something?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

muscles like this? posted:

The inconsistent tech was actually a plot point. They mentioned at one point that the original crew invented a lot of modern stuff that we use today. Like in the last bit they mention that the spy's father invented the MRI.

I'm talking about things like the small hand held computer with color screen against the big clunky controls and b/w screens; or disposable latex gloves vs. clunky heavy rubber masks. Granted, they probably do not have enough resources to rebuild the ship to their current level of technology but it was jarring at points.

Teek posted:

Eliminate the Earth stuff, and keep the crazy psychic powers on a ship out in the middle of nowhere, then you might have something to play with. Heck, have the kid herself teleport back to Earth to cause even more shenanigans.

My guess is that if it becomes a series they will eliminate the earth stuff, at least I hope so.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They should let Asylum make all their tv shows. The ship gets devoured by a space shark 99 years into their journey.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Haven't read the book but that might be good, less likely to be disappointed in the mini-series.

12 Monkeys starts tonight.

And apparently S2 of Helix is on if you liked that show, I didn't. Although people were saying it improved a lot after ep3 which is when I quit watching.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
So what is coming up next? Expanse? After Z Nation, Defiance, and 12 Monkeys, (Ascension wasn't really that bad), I'm starting to get excited about SyFy series for the first time ever.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
A picture is worth a thousand word review ...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The characters have numbers instead of names, except for Wesley Crusher the android. And Four is strapped with a katana.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone seen Olympus? I just saw it in the listing, no idea how long it's been on.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Dark Matter is up on my Dish guide so I set a timer. Don't know if it will be any good but I'm a sucker for space shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Hmmm, wow. I'm not sure what to think about this. On the one hand it's been so long since I read it that I can't really remember much except that I really enjoyed it.