Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

KaLogain posted:

Just got the latest Paperwhite. I have an older one as well. I don't want to have to download all my books again, can I backup/copy the book from the old on onto my computer using Calbre, and copy them back over to the new one? Will that saving reading placement and all those things?

Is there a better way I'm not thinking of?

I ended up just manually downloading each book from the new Kindle itself. I tried copy from Kindle to the other on the computer, but it did not seem to work very well, still acted like some books were not on the new Kindle.

I have almost 2000 books with some Comic Books and Coffee Table/Imagine intenstive books in there, so I had to pick and choose.

The UI is much faster on this new one. I did have to restart the new Kindle a bunch of times to get it to start downloading the books again.

Not too bad in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb
Anyone know a way to completely reset a book on a Kindle, make it look like it hasn't been opened at all. I know you can reset the furthest page read, but that just makes it look like you looked at the first page even after you delete the book and redownload. Is there a way to completely reset it?

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
I'm looking for a 10ish inch device for reading programming books in epub format. I have a 6 inch Paperwhite right now and it's just too small. I really really like the features and low weight of the Fujitsu Quaderno A5 but it sadly only supports PDF. Any thoughts?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Nohearum posted:

I'm looking for a 10ish inch device for reading programming books in epub format. I have a 6 inch Paperwhite right now and it's just too small. I really really like the features and low weight of the Fujitsu Quaderno A5 but it sadly only supports PDF. Any thoughts?

You got a choice between the Kobo Elipsa, reMarkable 2, and the Onyx Boox Note series. All three will do both PDF and ePub, but the Kobo and Onyx support more formats since Kobo also runs an ebook store and the Onyx devices uses Android 11 so you could load up different apps if need be. In regards to storage, the reMarkable 2 only has 8GB, the Kobo has 32GB while the Onyx has 64GB (128GB with the Max Lumi 2) with support for OTG adapters.

The Kobo Elipsa is $399 and comes with a cover and stylus.
The reMarkable 2 is $299 (refurbs for $279) but you have to purchase a stylus and cover separate.
The Onyx Boox Note series range from $499 to $879, come with stylus and offer of free case if ordered direct, their Amazon store has it as a separate item.

Edit: Also, I guess I'd be remiss to not also mention the iPad Pros and the Apple Pencil. They are very good but also very expensive.

Edit: I'm a dumbass, forgot the new iPad Air also supports the Pencil and that's also a 10 inch screen.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 19, 2022

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Also, the PocketBook InkPad X is 10”

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I think it’s also worth pointing out that the remarkable doesn’t have an integrated light, and some of its features are locked behind a subscription fee. It’s also kind of lovely at handling pdfs.

I really wanted to like the Remarkable 2, because the hardware is very slick, and it has the best writing feel, but it’s kinda the worst.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Amazon announces the Kindle DX2Scribe 10.2" eReader/Notepad.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Already up for preorder even:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BS26B8B

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I was wondering if we'd get a new higher-end Kindle this fall. I was thinking an Oasis refresh, but this fills the large-screen gap for the Kindle line. Might be kind of neat to play with one.

My Voyage is aging and I'd like USB-C, so it may be the nicer Paperwhite for me if something else doesn't catch my fancy.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
The current Paperwhite is almost perfect for me except the location of the power button - it's right on my finger shelf, which is needed even more now with the smaller side bezels.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

I’d buy one without a digitizer for $300

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Since the Paperwhite came out I've wanted a DX-like with lighting and I've been eyeing a ReMarkable for a while. This looks like it hits all the points.

I'm going to wait for some reviews to see how well it handles PDFs and whether its compatible with any other tablets' pens, but this certainly has my attention.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
I switched from a 2nd gen Oasis to the USB-C Paperwhite about 2 months ago.

It’s had a dramatic change in how much I read on the Kindle. I didn’t realize how much I hated holding the Oasis.

My partner has the 1st gen oasis and it was a lot more comfortable hold. She’s also hell bent on holding on to that one till it no longer turns on.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Good eReader thinks there will be a new Oasis for 2022

I'll see what the form factor looks like, as I like page turn buttons, but am not a fan of the current lopsided Oasis.

Probably cheaper and easier for me to get the new Paperwhite, get a case I can stick a pen loop on, and add one of the ballpoint/stylus combos I get at trade shows.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Man, I cannot figure out how these things use battery.

I set aside my Oasis 2 for a Paperwhite 5 because the former had such unreliable battery usage. Charged to 100%, read for an hour, drops into the 60’s… terrible.

My PW5 has been great since I got it but yesterday, I took it off of the official Amazon charger stand, where it had been for a few days, and it was only charged to 94%. Oooookay. Took it to lunch and read for about 1.5 hours. Dropped to 62% battery in that time, which is abysmal. Put it back on the charger at home and it’s charged to 100% in like ten minutes? Impossible.

I fuckin’ hate worrying about these things draining weirdly and quickly, my Oasis 2 hosed me on a vacation last year and I’m still irked about that.

Anybody having similar issues, did they just gently caress the code that calculates the displayed battery percentage or something?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hopefully the plan now is to let one drain all the way until it shuts off to verify the (lack of) accuracy.

I wouldn't leave a kindle plugged in for days though.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

astral posted:

Hopefully the plan now is to let one drain all the way until it shuts off to verify the (lack of) accuracy.

I wouldn't leave a kindle plugged in for days though.

What is the entire point of the official Amazon charging stand if not leaving my Kindle on it whenever I'm not actively ready it is "bad" for it?

I will let the PW5 discharge and see how that goes.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

I have the latest PW but not the fancy wireless charging variant.

I have no battery issues with it. I can read for about 2 hours and use maybe 5% of battery?

Edit: I never have Wi-Fi on. I only turn it on if I bought a book, got one from the library, or want to buy a book. Otherwise it stays off.

rufius fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 10, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do you have wireless on? That causes the most battery weirdness in my experience

smr
Dec 18, 2002

hatty posted:

Do you have wireless on? That causes the most battery weirdness in my experience

I do, because I read about 50/50 kindle/ipad, and whispersync is required. Having to janitor the wifi would kinda suck.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
A lot of readers do in fact have surprisingly terrible idle battery life because nobody really bothers to optimize them.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

smr posted:

I do, because I read about 50/50 kindle/ipad, and whispersync is required. Having to janitor the wifi would kinda suck.

Have you turned on deep sleep?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

A lot of readers do in fact have surprisingly terrible idle battery life because nobody really bothers to optimize them.

Especially because users were taught long ago to turn off Wi-Fi to preserve battery. Now it’s a self fulfilling prophecy. Why invest in battery improvements if users already assume the correct action is to turn off Wi-Fi which is always the biggest drain on battery?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

rufius posted:

Especially because users were taught long ago to turn off Wi-Fi to preserve battery. Now it’s a self fulfilling prophecy. Why invest in battery improvements if users already assume the correct action is to turn off Wi-Fi which is always the biggest drain on battery?

....not sure that follows? There's loads of idle battery usage that isn't to do with Wi-Fi.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The kindles I've had generally behaved quite well with WiFi off. The PW5 with deep sleep enabled has no idle battery drain to speak of.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

....not sure that follows? There's loads of idle battery usage that isn't to do with Wi-Fi.

Every kindle I’ve owned sipped battery with Wi-Fi off. That’s purely anecdotal, but the heaviest user of battery is Wi-Fi in my experience.

But I also don’t think much about any of this in practice. I charge my kindle every couple of weeks. I probably read it… 2-3 hours a day?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I never turn off WiFi and both of my Paperwhites have required so little charging that I honestly couldn't say how often I do it because it's so rare. I'm pretty sure my current PW4 was last plugged in somewhere around June.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
2 weeks with wifi and 3 weeks without wifi for my 2014 Voyage, down from 3 weeks with wifi and 5 weeks without. Subtract a day or two for heavy light usage. (I'll probably jinx it, but I wonder if I can make it to 10 years with this Kindle. My last one didn't die so much as need weekly charging in the lead up to the Voyage's release.)

But either way that Kindle is having software or hardware issues. Hopefully a full drain helps you.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

effika posted:

2 weeks with wifi and 3 weeks without wifi for my 2014 Voyage, down from 3 weeks with wifi and 5 weeks without. Subtract a day or two for heavy light usage. (I'll probably jinx it, but I wonder if I can make it to 10 years with this Kindle. My last one didn't die so much as need weekly charging in the lead up to the Voyage's release.)

But either way that Kindle is having software or hardware issues. Hopefully a full drain helps you.

Yeah, I’m letting the PW5 drain itself now just to see. To the other poster who asked about Deep Sleep: no, it’s not on because I read in bursts throughout the day and Deep Sleep makes that pretty annoying.

Charged the Oasis 2 up to 100% then left it idle (w/Wifi and Cellular on per usual) during the day, read on it about an hour before bed last night, then it’s been idle again since and it’s only down to 94%, which is fine and what I would expect. Going to leave that off charge and just use it normally ’til it’s dead and see if I get one of the big weird “multiple 10s of %age battery drop in a very short period of time” events again.

None of my Kindles prior to these 2, and I think I’ve had most of ‘em, had this issue, I’ve usually considered them by far the most rock-solid e-readers one can buy. Odd.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

smr posted:

Yeah, I’m letting the PW5 drain itself now just to see. To the other poster who asked about Deep Sleep: no, it’s not on because I read in bursts throughout the day and Deep Sleep makes that pretty annoying.

Charged the Oasis 2 up to 100% then left it idle (w/Wifi and Cellular on per usual) during the day, read on it about an hour before bed last night, then it’s been idle again since and it’s only down to 94%, which is fine and what I would expect. Going to leave that off charge and just use it normally ’til it’s dead and see if I get one of the big weird “multiple 10s of %age battery drop in a very short period of time” events again.

None of my Kindles prior to these 2, and I think I’ve had most of ‘em, had this issue, I’ve usually considered them by far the most rock-solid e-readers one can buy. Odd.

This is very random and anecdotal but try doing a search for some gibberish letters like dhkadjhfkd (and make sure you have searching in full text or search everywhere on). This should bring up a little box where you can see "Books Indexing" or something like that. If there's a number there, it means you have something that is stuck indexing which burns battery pretty fast. I think you can click the "book indexing" thing and it will show you what books aren't done indexing yet, which-- if they aren't finished at this point they're stuck and you can probably delete and re-add them.

Every time I have had a Kindle start chewing through battery like that it's been that a book has gotten stuck indexing.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, big battery drops on my Kindle are almost always caused by indexing books. This can make it seem like the battery is poo poo, because my use cycle is often something like "Buy a book, read that book immediately, stop using my Kindle for a bit" and this means that I'm usually reading my Kindle during the battery intensive indexing cycle.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I ended up finally picking up the 11th gen regular rear end Kindle that released last month after not having an eReader for so long and trying to make it work with an iPad Air, which was frankly too large and unwieldy for book reading for me.

So far the important things are all great; it's a perfect handheld size, the screen quality seems fine (I have no point of reference with e-ink displays, mind you), it's super light and has USB-C, and the materials on the black model don't seem to pick up fingerprints much at all.

The UI is interesting, requiring quite a few swipes and seems like it's easy to get "lost" in menus. Maybe not the Kindle for your grandma, but seeing as I've touched a computer once or twice in my life I figured it out anyway. As far as reading goes it's not a problem, and that's what matters most I think. The backlight is nice and even but the backlight temp is pretty cool, which of course I assume is to make people want to upgrade to the backlight-temp-controllable Kindles or what not.

One thing I noticed is there's an option to fully refresh the display between page turns that's off by default. I don't see why the defaults shouldn't be fine for most people, but is there any reason I'd want to turn that on for longevity or w/e?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That option is there for people that read comics on the kindle but it being off saves you battery so leave it like that unless you're bothered by the refresh rate

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

If it refreshes every page it will eat through battery quicker but if you don't mind charging twice a week instead of once that's really it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a good e-reader with the use case of "good for manga" (and I don't care about other media)? I have a Kindle Oasis that I really like for reading regular books, but it's too small for Manga. The new kindle looks interesting, but 10.2" seems waaaaay too big. I'm reading on the train to work, so often standing and holding it. I'm not married to a Kindle specifically, it's just the only reader brand I've used.

I maintain my library through Calibre syncing, if it matters.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a good e-reader with the use case of "good for manga" (and I don't care about other media)? I have a Kindle Oasis that I really like for reading regular books, but it's too small for Manga. The new kindle looks interesting, but 10.2" seems waaaaay too big. I'm reading on the train to work, so often standing and holding it. I'm not married to a Kindle specifically, it's just the only reader brand I've used.

I maintain my library through Calibre syncing, if it matters.

8 inches is a sweet spot in my opinion. Kobo has a few, the Aura One (sadly discontinued), the Forma (also discontinued, but refurb's can be bought from Kobo but limited to 8GB) and the Sage their current 8 inch device. As an owner of one, I can't really recommend it over the Forma.

There's other 8 inch readers mostly in the Android based ereaders but I have no experience with them other than they are a bit more flexible since you can get apps on it.

Forgot I have some pics:

Left device: Sage. Right Device: Forma.

Left device: Kindle Oasis 9th Gen. Middle device: Kobo Aura One. Right device: Kobo Forma.

Failing that, the current iPad Mini is what I also use for the Shonen Jump app or if I forgot my ereader at home to read my other stuff.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 20, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is the Sage battery comparable to a kindle? Does it charge over USB C?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is the Sage battery comparable to a kindle? Does it charge over USB C?

I haven’t used a Kindle in years but I felt the Sage’s battery is worse from memory. I bought the Power Cover that Kobo sells to mitigate but the cover itself has a poor standby time.

Of the devices I mentioned, the Sage and current iPad Mini charge over USB C.

Edit: Because of the problems I’ve been having with the Sage, I went back to using my Forma that I happened to keep and wish Kobo would make another one…

I’ve gone through 3 Sages and 2 Power Covers and the issues remain.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 20, 2022

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Sage has kind of infamously bad battery life compared to other Kobos, yeah.

Something by Onyx in the right form factor would be a bit more expensive, but you'd be able to use any Android app you like to read your comics on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, I've been reading manga on the Onyx Boox Nova Air (7.8"), and it's a mostly good experience. Their devices come with a lot of software jank, but the physical part is good.

I use the Kindle app on it, which works, but has one really annoying flaw on Android devices. The Android Kindle app has sliding page turn animations that you can't turn off, which is obviously terrible for an electronic paper display. (Maybe this is on purpose to hurt their reader competition? :tinfoil:)

They have a workaround for this, which is an animation filter. When you tap the screen to turn the page, the device freezes the image momentarily and resumes after it thinks the animation is finished. It works, but it makes the device feel less responsive than it really is, thanks to that delay. You also have to set the delay time manually (to some number of milliseconds) which is super fiddly.

They added a feature where it's supposed to set the filter automatically on certain apps, including Kindle, but then they broke it in the subsequent firmware update. That's kind of the quintessential Onyx experience.