Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rolo posted:

Just dragging them to the kindle didn’t do it. Going into calibre and “sending it to device” worked.

I hate that amazon charges for public domain books.

It is almost always possible to find the original free ebook that Amazon swiped from somewhere else, https://archive.org/ or http://manybooks.net/ if nowhere else.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It is almost always possible to find the original free ebook that Amazon swiped from somewhere else, https://archive.org/ or http://manybooks.net/ if nowhere else.

Yeah I haven’t had much issue finding books, just getting them transferred with the cover art. It still isn’t worth paying for, so until now everything just had no cover.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rolo posted:

I hate that amazon charges for public domain books.
Do they? Is that a new policy? I've gotten several public domain books from Amazon for $0 in the past.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tiggum posted:

Do they? Is that a new policy? I've gotten several public domain books from Amazon for $0 in the past.

I haven’t seen any but I could definitely be wrong, all I know is I’ve seen project-Gutenberg level books for at least a buck or more.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That's not really different than buying a paper copy for like $10-15 at Barnes & Noble. Someone had to digitize it, figure out a cover, maybe commission a foreword, etc. If you think that value's worthwhile, like the fake fancy print ones at B&N, you can pay for it, but if not, Project Gutenberg is awesome.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Anne Whateley posted:

That's not really different than buying a paper copy for like $10-15 at Barnes & Noble. Someone had to digitize it, figure out a cover, maybe commission a foreword, etc. If you think that value's worthwhile, like the fake fancy print ones at B&N, you can pay for it, but if not, Project Gutenberg is awesome.

The thing is that some people will straight up put Gutenberg versions on Amazon and charge

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

whomupclicklike posted:

The thing is that some people will straight up put Gutenberg versions on Amazon and charge

Amazon also has a really nasty tendency to combine different ebook editions with the same title under the same entry, which is a HUGE problem if you're trying to buy, for example, a specific modern translation of a public-domain work, but the product page is crowded with twenty different "editions" that are just copy/pastes of the antediluvian gutenberg translation at 99c a pop.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Yeah "Amazon" isn't selling them, but they are allowing a bunch of weird knockoff publishers to. At one point Amazon had a "free books" section but not sure if they do anymore.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
They have this, at least:

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=2245146011

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Amazon also has a really nasty tendency to combine different ebook editions with the same title under the same entry, which is a HUGE problem if you're trying to buy, for example, a specific modern translation of a public-domain work, but the product page is crowded with twenty different "editions" that are just copy/pastes of the antediluvian gutenberg translation at 99c a pop.

This was a huge problem recently when I bought my paper copies of like 6 Pevear and Volokonsky translations for Russian literature. I bought them on amazon because they have the program that gives you the kindle edition for a paperback book you buy from them. It listed all of them as eligible.

They refuse to give me anything but the cheapest translation for each. After 3 talks with customer service saying that’s why I ordered them online from amazon, they gave me a 20 dollar amazon kindle credit for the 90 dollars in books I bought. I also can’t use the credit towards the books I want, I can only use it towards ebooks sold directly from amazon. So far I can’t find a single one that is an actual book and not digital smut.

That was seriously annoying. They kept telling me “it’s the same book. I don’t know what the issue is.” It’s a completely different translation! Amazon really dropped the ball and their customer service does not understand that there are different versions of books.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Try https://standardebooks.org/

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Can anyone with a voyage tell me if you can invert the screen colors? I read a lot in low light situations and it helps to reduce eye strain for me. If it doesn't, how low does the backlight get and what are your thoughts about that?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arson Daily posted:

Can anyone with a voyage tell me if you can invert the screen colors? I read a lot in low light situations and it helps to reduce eye strain for me. If it doesn't, how low does the backlight get and what are your thoughts about that?

No you can't invert the screen colors. At the lowest light setting, it is quite difficult to make out text at all unless you up font sizes or have been in very dark place for an extended time to adjust to the low light.

The light levels go from 1 to 24, I usually end up using 7 or 8 for reading in a darkened room.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wish someone would jailbreak the newest Paperwhite so I could change my rotating lock screen to Vonnegut’s tombstone illustrations.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

I click on this link and the first book under free romance reads is this:

:tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Fiction.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
LOL :drat:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Amazon's doing a discount today only, should apply to kindle - "BIGTHANKS" £10 off.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Kerbtree posted:

Amazon's doing a discount today only, should apply to kindle - "BIGTHANKS" £10 off.

For orders over £50, but still kind of them. Pity I'm too skint to buy anything.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
So yesterday I charged my Kindle from the mains like I always do, and when I went to bed and wanted to read, it had completely discharged.

I got it up and running again today by recharging it through my computer, and thankfully nothing was erased or anything, but it got me wondering if it's about to die, and I wanted to know if anyone else have had this problem and if it's just a fluke.

It's an old Kindle 4, and the battery is definitely not holding its charge like it used to do, but I've never had any issues with it before.

Is it dying and should I consider getting a new one? It is after all a device from 2011.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fart of Presto posted:

So yesterday I charged my Kindle from the mains like I always do, and when I went to bed and wanted to read, it had completely discharged.

I got it up and running again today by recharging it through my computer, and thankfully nothing was erased or anything, but it got me wondering if it's about to die, and I wanted to know if anyone else have had this problem and if it's just a fluke.

It's an old Kindle 4, and the battery is definitely not holding its charge like it used to do, but I've never had any issues with it before.

Is it dying and should I consider getting a new one? It is after all a device from 2011.

If it does it again, I'd definitely consider at least replacing the battery (it's simple, just popping open the case and then unplugging the existing battery and plugging in the new). As to whether you'd rather try spending $20 replacing the battery versus $60 getting a new base-model Kindle or $100 for the cheapest model with a light now, that's up to you.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Fart of Presto posted:

Getting a Paperwhite was as much of a revelation as getting a Kindle in the first place for me.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Trudat. Never thought the light would make such a big difference in my reading, but it does change the game.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

Getting a Paperwhite was as much of a revelation as getting a Kindle in the first place for me.

Not emptyquoting

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Trudat. Never thought the light would make such a big difference in my reading, but it does change the game.

Forget everything else (carrying infinite books, small weight/size, etc), having uniform light across the entire reading surface is the killer feature for me.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
They aren't just better in the dark (though, obviously, they are). Paperwhites are more readable in direct sunlight, too, and everything in between.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
For those who have tried both the Paperwhite and the Voyage, is doubling the price worth it?

I can't really imagine losing the page turning buttons, and the 30g extra weight for a Paperwhite (205g) compared to the Kindle 4 (170g), is that noticeable?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fart of Presto posted:

For those who have tried both the Paperwhite and the Voyage, is doubling the price worth it?

I can't really imagine losing the page turning buttons, and the 30g extra weight for a Paperwhite (205g) compared to the Kindle 4 (170g), is that noticeable?

I totally love my Voyage and have since I upgraded to it from the Paperwhite when it was first released. Weight's never been an issue, especially since I always have it in a cheap case so that I can keep the screen reasonably safe in a loaded bag and so I can use the magnetic wakeup. And on the whole the flush screen means no more fiddling with cleaning little bits of dust off the corners of the screen

But when I bought my Voyage, the Paperwhites cost 20 bucks more than they do now and had lower res screens than the Voyage or modern Paperwhites. So the voyage was a much nicer value prospect back then than it can be now.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 5, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The front glass is the big quality of life thing on the Voyage. It being flush and etched means fewer distractions while reading since you aren't always chasing fingerprints or lint.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Has the Kindle/Goodreads integration stopped working for anyone else? I’ve got a 1st gen paperwhite and books aren’t being added to my shelves anymore and my ratings aren’t being uploaded (its acting like they are, but it just doesn’t seem to actually work.

I am still able to refresh my feeds and manually rate/shelve a book, but starting a book and finish/rating a book when done seem to be not working.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Maneki Neko posted:

Has the Kindle/Goodreads integration stopped working for anyone else? I’ve got a 1st gen paperwhite and books aren’t being added to my shelves anymore and my ratings aren’t being uploaded (its acting like they are, but it just doesn’t seem to actually work.

I am still able to refresh my feeds and manually rate/shelve a book, but starting a book and finish/rating a book when done seem to be not working.

It's been happening to me too! I don't know why and I had assumed it was just me.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I’ve been eyeballing the 2016 Oasis since I could land one for about $150 and I’ve read it’s more pocketable than the ‘17 model. I also don’t mind the lack of waterproofing or Audible.
For those with one how has it held up, and for those with both are there any reasons I should really be considering the newer model?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does anyone have a way to get alerted of Kindle Daily Deals that are actually good? Aka not Kindle Unlimited junk that is $1 instead of $2.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

https://www.bookbub.com/ does a pretty good job

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

While that’s good, it’s cross platform and I think organized by bookbub, not the actual Amazon daily deals.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That is pretty useful though. Thanks!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

EreaderIQ can import a wish list of ebooks on Amazon and alert you when a book falls by a percentage or amount you specify.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Android thread suggested asking here:

I'm looking for a basic e-reader that has Google Play Books support. And I mean proper support, I don't want to have to export stuff to some DRM stripping service and upload them elsewhere, and I want Play Books' cross-device syncing to work. And it isn't for me so no hacking or loving around, just buy a book, read a book.

Does this exist? Basically I just want an Android tablet with an e-ink display.

Also, and possibly the part that kills this, it needs to be available in the UK.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Tunga posted:

Android thread suggested asking here:

I'm looking for a basic e-reader that has Google Play Books support. And I mean proper support, I don't want to have to export stuff to some DRM stripping service and upload them elsewhere, and I want Play Books' cross-device syncing to work. And it isn't for me so no hacking or loving around, just buy a book, read a book.

Does this exist? Basically I just want an Android tablet with an e-ink display.

Also, and possibly the part that kills this, it needs to be available in the UK.

Onyx Boox (or some of them at least?) do this. I hacked my ancient Nook Simple Touch to sideload android apps years ago. I have no idea if this still works with the current version, or if you can get Play Books to run on the older one with Android 3 or 4 or whatever.

e: I wish there were more (read: any) devices that weren't designed around vendor lock-in for purchasing books :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Onyx makes my absolute favorite e-readers because they run Android, have good hardware, and are built adequately well. Unfortunately, they're more expensive than the comparable Kindle etc. The upshot is that I've been told they have the most even front lighting of any eReader.