Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

If you're not married to Amazon then Kobo has devices with buttons for less than an Oasis though I've heard the build quality isn't as good.

Fwiw I love my Oasis and I took advantage of a trade in and sale price for it but I would have no hesitation paying full price for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Humerus posted:

If you're not married to Amazon then Kobo has devices with buttons for less than an Oasis though I've heard the build quality isn't as good.

Fwiw I love my Oasis and I took advantage of a trade in and sale price for it but I would have no hesitation paying full price for it.

Amazon UK don't do this kind of thing and it makes baby Jesus cry 😭

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Huh, Kindle got a software update. Dunno what all the new stuff is but there's a dark mode now for reading, so that's cool.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

New Kindle Oasis user here, I'm looking for a case for it and thinking of just going with the Amazon case since it seems the slickest, but I'd like something that looked like a book since that would be pretty dope. Anyone have any case suggestions?

edit: Can you change the images it shows when it's on sleep mode?

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

sigher posted:

Pretty sure you have to jailbreak the device to change the images.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

sigher posted:

New Kindle Oasis user here, I'm looking for a case for it and thinking of just going with the Amazon case since it seems the slickest, but I'd like something that looked like a book since that would be pretty dope. Anyone have any case suggestions?

Only if you pay to remove ads (just changes from ads to other pictures), but otherwise I don't think so without a hack.

And this is the case I have for mine and I still love it. https://www.amazon.com/Ayotu-Feeling-10th-2019-Waterproof/dp/B07W1NVK5H?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Just make sure you get the one for your generation of Oasis if you do.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silly Burrito posted:

Only if you pay to remove ads (just changes from ads to other pictures)

So based on rumors including here and elsewhere I received a slightly above PG level ad and contacted Amazon about how I take my Kindle to work and that I work for a VERY CONSERVATIVE ORGANIZATION (I don't at all) and if one of my superiors had seen it I could have been in HUGE TROUBLE.

They immediately removed all the ads and apologized for putting me in that situation.

I mean, honestly, it actually would have been highly inappropriate if I worked at like an evangelical church, but as I vaguely remember it was like a slightly sexualized image of two men together based on my Amazon history of being a flagrant homosexual so :shrug: .

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I had to buy a new cover since mine kinda died completely (plastic was falling apart, etc). I was incredibly surprised there weren't lovecraftian sigils or runes or anything really neat and esoteric, just weird random monkey cheese kittens or a van gogh painting or two, and maybe THA FLAG.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Silly Burrito posted:

Only if you pay to remove ads (just changes from ads to other pictures), but otherwise I don't think so without a hack.

And this is the case I have for mine and I still love it. https://www.amazon.com/Ayotu-Feeling-10th-2019-Waterproof/dp/B07W1NVK5H?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Just make sure you get the one for your generation of Oasis if you do.

That's a bummer about the images, but no big deal I suppose. Thanks for the cover recommendation, I'd prefer something thin like that and I'm only finding zip up cases that look bulky for the whole "faux book" aesthetic I was thinking of. Shame.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I will cling to my Voyage for dear life until Amazon finally adds USB-C to the Kindle line.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Buff Hardback posted:

I will cling to my Voyage for dear life until Amazon finally adds USB-C to the Kindle line.

I bought an Oasis in spite of the micro USB port but man it is the shittiest feeling charging port I have ever used, even compared to other micro USB devices. Every time I plug it in it feels like I'm breaking it somehow.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's pretty wild to me that so many people are so upset about how their eReader charges that they're buying "because of" or "in spite of" USB 3.

It's a plug. It does not affect your reading experience.

I have a Sennheiser headset that explicitly chose micro-USB over USB 3 because they felt that the positive plug grip was a benefit. Y'all are worried about dumb poo poo.

I'd buy a 7" Kindle Voyage if it charged via a 220V plug. It'd be worth it for the reading experience.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's pretty wild to me that so many people are so upset about how their eReader charges that they're buying "because of" or "in spite of" USB 3.

It's a plug. It does not affect your reading experience.

I have a Sennheiser headset that explicitly chose micro-USB over USB 3 because they felt that the positive plug grip was a benefit. Y'all are worried about dumb poo poo.

I'd buy a 7" Kindle Voyage if it charged via a 220V plug. It'd be worth it for the reading experience.

Other than my Kindle, I have nothing that charges via micro-USB that I would take with me on a trip. That Kindle is the only thing that still uses a micro-USB cable so I have then bring a cable for one purpose.

Apr 7, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

Other than my Kindle, I have nothing that charges via micro-USB that I would take with me on a trip. That Kindle is the only thing that still uses a micro-USB cable so I have then bring a cable for one purpose.

You plug it in once a month

what a sacrifice

Apr 7, 2003

I think we can all agree that choosing an eReader based on how you charge the battery once a month is silly as hell, and that the reading experience and how you put that reading experience on the device is far more important.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If I needed to replace my e-reader, I would not let a microUSB plug stop me. But if I were considering an upgrade to my e-reader, one of the main features that I would consider a genuine improvement would be a USB-C port for longer life and so that I could jettison the microUSB cord in my bag. This would be much more meaningful to me than a higher resolution that I don't need to read plain text or an improved backlight that I won't use.

Apr 7, 2003

Higher resolution and an improved backlight help you read, as the upgrades to eInk Pearl and the changes to the Oasis and the Paperwhite have proven.

A new plug doesn't help you read.

Apr 7, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

a USB-C port for longer life

This is a weird assertion with no actual facts to back it up.

A USB-C port will not improve your reading experience in any way.

An eReader is a device meant for reading, not for charging competitions.

e: I'm fuckin boggled, when did usb-c = better device enter this thread's zeitgeist?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

A USB-C port will not improve your reading experience in any way.

An eReader is a device meant for reading, not for charging competitions.

e: I'm fuckin boggled, when did usb-c = better device enter this thread's zeitgeist?

Once everybody had a lot of other things that charge with usb c. It isn't a big deal, but it's not nothing. If I had anything else that used old school usb, I'd probably be indifferent. If I could pay a little extra to have an iPhone and Kindle with usb c so that a single cable type charged everything I have, I'd do it, despite neither an iPhone or Kindle being meant for charging competitions lol

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

You plug it in once a month

what a sacrifice

My voyage battery is so old I have to charge it about once a week and it dies at like 15%

(Which reminds me I should probably replace the battery)

Apr 7, 2003

There's some serious loving brain damage going on in this thread when the conversation isn't about poo poo like new eInk technology but is instead centered around what plug you charge your poo poo with.

Just saying.

We're on the verge of color eInk and the Oasis is the best reader you can buy regardless of how you charge it.

Get with the program.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Micro USB is actually frowned upon most electronics enthusiasts (Linus hates it) because they're notorious for being weak and ports getting lose. I've had several cables bend and break over time and currently have a wireless guitar system which the base system uses Micro USB for power and it's already lose and it only has gotten moved several times when I've moved homes or rearranged things.

It's just an electronics thing, it's nice not needing proprietary cables for a single device to keep it charged; things have moved on from Micro USB and USB-C is the standard now, there's literally no reason to not use it.

Apr 7, 2003

sigher posted:

Micro USB is actually frowned upon most electronics enthusiasts (Linus hates it) because they're notorious for being weak and ports getting lose. I've had several cables bend and break over time and currently have a wireless guitar system which the base system uses Micro USB for power and it's already lose and it only has gotten moved several times when I've moved homes or rearranged things.

It's just an electronics thing, it's nice not needing proprietary cables for a single device to keep it charged; things have moved on from Micro USB and USB-C is the standard now, there's literally no reason to not use it.

Y'all have brain issues if this is what you care about.

See my previous post.

Who cares how the gently caress you charge it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

See my previous post.

You apparently care a lot about how others prefer to charge their devices, so... :ironicat: ?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

USB-C is rapidly becoming the standard, and it is legitimately a better standard, that's why people care. The micro USB charger on my desk is only used for my kindle paperwhite and my work phone at this point.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

There's some serious loving brain damage going on in this thread when the conversation isn't about poo poo like new eInk technology but is instead centered around what plug you charge your poo poo with.

Just saying.

We're on the verge of color eInk and the Oasis is the best reader you can buy regardless of how you charge it.

Get with the program.

There is no new eink technology happening soon and the Paperwhite is the best ereader hth

Apr 7, 2003

The year is 2026. Human civilization has fallen. Armed city-states hold sway. Six members of the Something Awful Forums refuse to upgrade to Hyper Color Mega eReaders because they use Micro USB chargers.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

See my previous post.

:downswords:

Also Paperwhite is the best ereader.

Apr 7, 2003

How your eReader charges is completely irrelevant to the performance of your eReader and I'm flabbergasted that anyone gives a gently caress about whether it's USB 3, USB A, or a stick with a battery attached.

It's bizarre as gently caress that this is the most important thing to so many people.

The entire point of an eReader is that you don't have to charge it that often. It's a reading appliance.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 4, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How your eReader charges is completely irrelevant to the performance of your eReader

No one, not a single person in this thread or on the whole planet, said that the performance of the charging port effects the way that they read, enjoy reading or improves the performance of their device.

Apr 7, 2003

sigher posted:

No one, not a single person in this thread or on the whole planet, said that the performance of the charging port effects the way that they read, enjoy reading or improves the performance of their device.

Rand Brittain posted:

a genuine improvement would be a USB-C port for longer life

Apr 7, 2003

A USB-C port will not improve your e-reader. Quit basing your upgrade criteria on one.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

A USB-C port will not improve your e-reader. Quit basing your upgrade criteria on one.

No

Apr 7, 2003

Maybe y'all need a hobby between upgrade cycles, since reading clearly isn't your thing. I suggest cycling. It's helped me stay in shape when I don't feel like reading.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I'd probably sideload more books with a cable if my e-reader had a less-fragile port. It's not a big deal to send stuff over using other methods, though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nothing about what you quoted states the device will perform better?

Apr 7, 2003

e: get the micro usb vs usb-c thing now

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 4, 2020

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’m a Luddite clinging to ancient tech. Not a single one of my electronic devices uses USB-C. I refuse to buy an e-reader that doesn’t use Micro-USB. :colbert:

Have we covered all the bases now?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You mean Mini-USB right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

taqueso posted:

You mean Mini-USB right?

Probably, gently caress if I know. Whatever it is it charges a bunch of other yesteryear gadgets I have.

Mine was a poo poo post, but I was honestly glad to see the new Oasis plugged into it when it arrived.

I made a conscious decision to jump off the upgrade wagon for most stuff until it breaks personally. I’d still be using the Kindle Keyboard but wanted the new light.