Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I really, really want a lighted cover but I just can't afford £50 at the moment and as good as everyone says it is, it's still just under 50% of the cost of the Kindle in the first place (well the WiFi one anyway, which is what I have) and that seems a lot. Is there any way I can get a better deal on one in the UK? There don't seem to be any on the Amazon warehouse thing.

chippy fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah you're meant to send it back. Otherwise what's to stop me ringing up, tell them the screen is hosed on my working Kindle, and then selling it?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I've got mine in a crappy £5 neoprene pouch and it goes everywhere with me in my bag. Admittedly I've only had it a few months but so far it's in mint condition.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Cool, this works with my amazon.co.uk account. I wasn't expecting it to.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

SlightButSteady posted:

Wouldn't the whole page have to refresh?

Small changes to the screen seem to be able to be made without refreshing the whole screen, for example when you move the cursor around on the Kindle screen and put it next to a word and the definition is displayed. All this is down without seeing the screen "flash" and the whole screen being updated. However in these situations you usually see a "ghost" of what was on the screen until the whole thing is refreshed.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
His stuff seems to be somewhat reduced on the UK store currently too. I've never read any Kurt Vonnegut, what would be a good starter book?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I ended up buying Slaughterhouse 5 because it was one of the cheapest anyway. I'm halfway through Infinite Jest currently so I reckon I'll be able to handle a bit of scattered chronology. I might grab Cat's Cradle as well though, thanks.

The Kindle store is gradually doing for my book collection what Steam did for my games collection... there's only 3 or 4 in the backlog currently, I really must try not to let it get out of control.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Did you tell them what had happened or did you make something up, out of interest?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
On the other hand in some cases they might even help sell Kindles. I wouldn't have one if I hadn't installed the Kindle Android app on my phone, realised there were a load of free books available on there and that Kindle as a platform was generally quite awesome, and then went on about wanting one until my girlfriend bought me one for my birthday.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm reading a book with a lot of footnote (Infinite Jest) at the moment and Whispersync is being a total fail for me. I read between my Kindle, phone, and the cloud reader and every time I load the book up on one of these it tries to sync my location, but instead of syncing the last location I was at, it syncs the location which is furthest through the book, which is one of the footnotes. It's highly irritating having to manually find my place every time I switch platforms, anyone know of a way I can alter its behaviour? Obviously switching off Whispersync wouldn't solve the problem as I'd still have to hunt manually, is there any way of syncing your last read location instead of your furthest read?

I know this is kind of an edge case but it is pretty annoying and seems like it would affect any book with footnotes. Also, the footnote it syncs to isn't actually even the most recent one I read, so it's not even getting that right.

chippy fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 15, 2011

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Ara posted:

Try manually syncing it from the menu after you finish your reading session. I have no idea if that will help, but it might.

Thanks, but no :smith: That just causes it to prompt me to go to the furthest page read across all devices, i.e. somewhere in the footnotes.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So there's a new non-touch Kindle with a 5-way controller as well? Random. Personally I think I'll stick with my keyboard model. Gives me something to hold it by and I do use the keyboard fairly often.

I'm guessing there's no 3G option for the Fire yet due to the potential for much greater data usage.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

So there's a new non-touch Kindle with a 5-way controller as well? R

And it's cheaper than the keyboard one and doesn't have a 3G option?

I am utterly baffled by these decisions.

edit: Oh, less storage and batter life. It's kind of a Kindle Lite.

chippy fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 28, 2011

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I think I'd rather have the flash, I've completely tuned it out at this point. I expect it saves on a batter a bit though. I think the ghosting, when it does happen, looks horrible.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

commish posted:

You really prefer that flashing to a millisecond of ghosting? That flashing is the single reason I refused to get an e-reader for a long time. Just annoying.

Really? How do you ever manage to read a real book with all that infernal page turning?

Seriously though, no it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Never did, and now I don't even notice it.

The ghosting though - I'm not sure what you're thinking of, but ghosting is when you do something that doesn't update the screen, like calling up the menu or a dictionary definition, and then when you get rid of it, there's like a smudgy faint after-image of it left on the screen, like some of the ink particles get stuck. It's not a millisecond, it's on the screen permanently until a full refresh happens. I think it looks really ugly.

The wiki page has an image of it although it's not a great example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:E-ink_ghost.jpg

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Cartoon Man posted:

Can Amazon pay me $30 to downgrade to the ad supported one? :what:

Hahaha, that was my first thought as well. I was also wondering if they'd let me do an "upgrade" trade-in for a 3G one and just pay the price difference, as I have the WiFi only Kindle Keyboard and every now and then I wish I had 3G on it.

Maybe just combine the 2 and just swap the non-special offers Wifi for a special offers 3G?!

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Why don't we get any of these awesome features in the UK? Weem. :smith:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I think this only works if you've sent it to your Kindle e-mail adress so it's stored in the cloud, not if you just dumped it on your Kindle using a data cable. I could be wrong though.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Just picked up the official lighted case for my Kindle Keyboard. Great cover, although I'm slightly surprised at how much weight it adds. It says you can fold it fully back to read one handed, but it seems to crease quite badly when you do this. Is this really ok to do regularly? It seems like the leather might split after a while, or does it just soften up eventually?

Also, does anyone take theirs in/out of their case a lot? I like to stick the Kindle in a sandwich bag and read it in the bath sometimes, but the whole mechanism seems like it might wear a bit if I'm doing that a lot.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Cheers for the input, chaps.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I had my Kindle Keyboard replaced as the back cover was coming off and when I emailed CS about it the response pretty much just said to call, because they couldn't do replacements via e-mail.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
What's really mind boggling is that they continue to offer Prime in the UK for the same price (£50) and we don't get anything but free shipping for it. No lending library, no movies, just free regular shipping and cheap express shipping.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Odette posted:

The official Lighted carry case by Amazon is pretty good.

Seconding this. It's a bit pricey but it's really hard wearing and looks classy as gently caress compared to a lot of the other cases. Shop around, I managed to pick one up on ebay for £20. I think it was a factory refurb, it was in mint condition and boxed.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Raii posted:

I also got myself a Kindle. I've been reading from my iPhone ever since iBooks came out, and compared to that, the Kindle is a thousand times better.

I really don't like the way collections work, though. Is there any kind of jailbreak or hack or anything that would let me to organize my books into folders? Or at least have "sub-collections"? I like to keep all my books on my device, and it's quite annoying to have to go through 10 pages of books.

It's a shitter isn't it. Your only real option is to put them all in collections and sort your home screen by collection. Not sure what model you have but on the Kindle Keyboard you do it like this:

1. With the top book on the screen selected, press up on the D-Pad.
2. Press right on the D-Pad and you'll see a range of sorting options "by author, by collection" etc.

If you choose by collection then your collections will be listed first, followed by any books that are not in a collection.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

tonytheshoes posted:

I appreciate it. It's great to be warned of a lovely conversion before plunking down the money. One thing that drives me absolutely BONKERS about Amazon is that they lump all reviews for all editions of books into one big messy pile. They really need to separate e-book reviews from print versions, and then separate print version reviews based on editions because there are often vast differences.

Agreed. Goes especially for books that have been translated. I was trying to select a copy of Crime and Punishment the other week and I didn't notice at first that all the different editions' reviews were lumped in together, so I was reading sentences like "this is the superior translation because blah blah blah" without actually knowing what translation it was referring to.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

welcome posted:

I replaced my Keyboard with a regular Kindle and haven't noticed any difference in sturdiness. The screen is a hell of a lot nicer though, I'd recommend it or the Touch over the Keyboard.

I'm pretty sure the screen in all 3 of those models is identical.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Hmmm. I've got a Keyboard but when I had a play around with the newer models in a shop the other day I didn't notice any difference. Admittedly I wasn't doing a side by side comparison but since I use mine every day I would have expected any noticeable difference to jump out at me.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
The Squaretrade warranty (I dunno if that's a UK only thing or what, though) is a really good deal. £25 for 3 years. Can't say fairer than that, really.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
He's saying the light is more likely to attract the attention of a potential mugger.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Sperg Victorious posted:

I would laugh so hard if someone got mugged for an ereader. I think you'd have a higher chance of getting your ereader stolen/broken by a Kaczynski sympathizer than random street theft.

Yeah I reckon so. Although I guess someone might mistake it for some sort of new tablet if the screen was glowing.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

simokon posted:

I think this depends on the user. I use the keyboard for text searches all the time. I couldn't imagine having to use a virtual keyboard with the thumbstick. Ugh.

I'm with you here. I often do text searches within books I'm reading and I probably buy more books when I'm away from my computer than when I'm sat in front of it. I absolutely love my Kindle Keyboard. The only thing about the Touch that excites or interests me is the X-ray feature, it kind of annoys me that it's not in the cheaper models. They could have even added it to the Keyboard with a software update. But I suppose they need to differentiate their models somehow.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I take it the light can be turned off completely and not just set on level 1?

This is what I've been trying to find out for certain, but from what I'm seeing on the Amazon discussion forums, you actually can't turn it off completely, which seems like an odd decision.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I dunno about that. There's only 14 hours left on the timer. Is this even anything to do with the offical Humble Bundle people?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I guess I was just being paranoid about the Humble Bundle release then! Has anyone read any of the books in it?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Oooh, I might actually get Prime now. Could be useful for Christmas shopping anyway.

quote:

Our breakthrough power management technology allows you to leave the light on at all times for the best possible contrast without sacrificing battery life.

quote:

8-week battery life, even with the light on

They keep saying these things, as if you can turn the light off.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Vegastar posted:

Oh. That's silly. I haven't gotten one yet, but I paged through the manual in a little nerd lust moment and that was listed as turning it off.

Yeah they call it off, but it's not basically. Dunno whether this is a bug/oversight since they talk as if it's actually possible to turn it off.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Lampsacus posted:

I don't notice any difference in the dictionary popups though. Maybe you've attributed them to the update mistakenly?

I'm not seeing any difference in the popups either.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Does anyone know how to reset/change the "furthest page read" on a Kindle? I'm reading a book with endnotes at the moment and it's synced my furthest page read to half way through the endnotes. I switch between reading on my Kindle and my phone a lot and now I can't sync on either device because syncing dumps me into the endnotes. It's really annoying. I have the same issue reading Infinite Jest, does anyone know of a solution?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Splashy Gravy posted:

I just stumbled on a way to do this, but it's kind of a pain. Log in to your account on amazon.com. Hover over "My account" then click "manage your kindle". From there you can reset the furthest read page using the action menus to the right of each book. Presumably after that you'll have to re-sync your kindle.

You officially rock. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

mistermojo posted:

Has anyone tried reading PDFs on the Paperwhite? It's a pretty awful experience on the Kindle Touch but maybe the higher resolution makes it better?

PDFs work a lot better in landscape mode, I use them on my Kindle Keyboard fairly often.