Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There are 2 new sony readers as well.

There is a new pocket edition, and a new touch edition. The PRS 650 is the new touch. Has the new pearl eink screen according to some reviews. The PRS 350 is the new pocket edition. Neither of these have wifi though, that's the new "daily" reader that is coming out. I think it's called the PRS 950.

The new pocket and touch readers (both have touchscreens but the pocket is a little smaller) are on sale for 149/199 as well from sony direct.

I think only the daily has the browser and that only connects to the sony store or a news feed you can set up through them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The sony and borders stores are pretty good. They tend to discount books that are different than amazon's, and have up different freebies as well.

The amazon store has more self published items, but I can't think of a single author who has a "kindle exclusive" contract. The only thing that comes close is the UR story novella from Stephen King.

The kindle locks you into one store, the sony and nook, and kobo give you access to 3 stores.

ALL ebook stores have pretty much the same content as far as publishing houses go, and all the prices are near identical since all 90% of the releases follow that "price set by the publisher" bullshit.

If you can't decide based on what the reader does, decide by hitting up inkmesh.com and seeing what is available that you want to read, and where it's at. Chances are if it's a big release it will be available in any of the big stores, but since it's so damned easy to crack kindle/sony/nook/etc books, it's pretty much pointless to bitch about who's store has what for the most or least.

As far as "ease of use" goes, if you can download a file, you can use any store. If downloading a file and following the "drag/drop" or "right click and send to device" seems to be too hard, chances are the ereaders going to be too technical for you to use.

I've owned a k3, sony, and a nook, and I can tell you right now that out of the 3, I love my sony. I plan to take the nook back and get the new model of the sony touch. I just dig their software setup on the device. I like collections and I like being able to set books in order that I need to read them, not in alphabetical order only.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up, nook wifi is going for 99 bucks on bestbuy.com for thanksgiving. Dunno if anyone is looking for one, but hey, decent price.

The other 2 ereaders they listed were poo poo though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got my nook updated (surprised at the update, could have sworn it would have come out RIGHT before december. 1st company in a long time to keep it's update schedule :) )

I can't wait to see what calibre can do with the shelves, this might actually be pretty sweet.

Here's hoping it can set up a reading order for the shelf.

Anyone else kinda bugged about the lack of covers in My documents? I have a crapload of books with covers in epub that I moved over, but the only cover browsing I can do is from the main library of bn.com stuff :(

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Loving the new firmware, but they took the amazon route instead of the sony route for writing the "shelves" or series via usb. Calibre can't do it, so the nook is going back to BN.

It's a great reader, but I rely a lot on keeping series in order, and that's a deal breaker for me.

Anyone feel like saving me a trip to the store? If so I can start a thread in SAMart for it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am kinda OCD about my collection, I get the metadata for the books and the right covers, etc.

Also, and this is a huge part of it, I have been doing the ebook reading bit for a long time, and I have a 4 or 5 gig collection. Renaming that and trying to keep it in some kind of order would be pretty much impossible to do.

If I had a small collection, say under 100 books or so, yea no problem. At last count it's something like 3000+ in my calibre library on my main PC, and that's not including the backups I have that I haven't gotten around to importing/fixing/converting.

Sony's setup just works the easiest for me when it comes to keeping track of what goes where and with who.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Paco de Suave posted:

Just root your nook, jeez. You can use tags from calibre with trook and the replacement library app I believe. I can't imagine returning something for a reason like that...especially when you can just search for whatever you're looking for. I have over 1000 books on my nook and I haven't had any problems.

Well, the problem with that is a: there isn't a rooted version of 1.5 yet, and b: I don't want to void my warranty for something that should, to me, already be available.

Also, c: I read up on how to root the nook before the update came out, and I don't really feel comfortable doing it. Not exactly that techy of a guy.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Paco de Suave posted:

a) There is. The nookdevs guys are really awesome. - http://www.perfinion.com:81/nookdevs/bravo_update-2.5.0.dat

b) It's a 5 second process to flash back to the original firmware

c) If "Copy two files to the reader's memory and hold the '<' key while it reboots" is too complicated...what are you doing with an ereader in the first place? Surely that's easier than setting the tags in calibre and whatnot.

If it was that easy I would have done it.

The refurb nooks that came out (and I bought) have a new rooting method, the old way just bricks it. Check out nookdevs.com and click on the link at the top of the page. My serial number starts with 10031, so I get to do the more complex root. I don't see any article about how to root a 1.5 firmware nook on there now though. Before I upgraded it was still 1.4.1 so it fell into the more complex fix anyway.

It's gone a long way from "copy a file and hold the back button". I don't feel comfortable messing with my pc's network and system settings in order to get a basic function added to an ereader.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Friend is selling his 505 with a 8 gig memory stick on ebay for a decent price, if someone is interested.

Gonna go sideload a coke and some munchies. Working my way through the mistborn trilogy tonight :)

edit - reader sold to someone, and I finished the first book of the Mistborn trilogy. Pretty good :)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 30, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Price jumped up on the sony readers. Guess it was a thanksgiving sale v:confused:v

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if you hack/root the kindle, can you use calibre to keep the series order/collections in order on the reader?

Just wondering, friend asked me and I have no idea. I see stuff about the screen savers and fonts but nothing about the series.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
But would that affect books that he adds himself?

He has a pretty big ebook collection (not quite as big as mine), but he is thinking of getting a new ereader since his broke. The kindle is looking like a good candidate for him since he is a cheap bastard, but he really wants the sony style collections where you can choose what book is #1 in a series, what book is #2, etc.

I know if he did this with amazon purchased books it might cause an issue when it connects to the server, but if it was just something he broke the drm on, or loaded up himself.. would it also affect the reading order?

He has a few weeks to think about it, I think he is gunning for one around christmas.

Just thought I would help him out by asking here :)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mudlark posted:

I had a Sony PRS-600, and the touch-screen lost its capacitativeness or something. It turns on, refreshes, and all that. but it doesn't read any contact with it. If I get a Nook or something similar this year, will I have to worry about the same problem, or should I just grab a Kindle?

Nah, the sony is the only one that has a touch screen so far (besides the nook color).

I would drop them an email and ask what's up. They are usually pretty good about fixing up the ereaders.

Silly question, but have you tried the little stencil that comes with it? (assuming the pages still turn with the buttons on the bottom)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up, got a nook 3g and wifi in the SAMart.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
IIRC The Kobo is around 99$ in canada, and there are also refurb sony 600 and 300s at some places for around 100$ too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As long as the epub is NOT drm'd, then you can convert it.

If it does have DRM, you need to strip it before you can convert it.

No idea how this works on library books.

The arguments are pretty retarded for pro and con mobi/epub. Get an ereader that you like, that has the functions you want. I spent the money and got a prs650 cause it has the collections options I want. Not many people need the ability to sort em in order like I do, so a nook works fine, or a kindle, or a kobo.

Just pick the reader that fits with what you want to do with minimal difficulty and leave it at that.

The k3 is an awesome ereader, the nook is great, and the sony is fantastic. The only real different options on them are a: the file types used, and b: where you can buy the books from. There are a few more epub ready stores than mobi ready stores (new google shop, borders/kobo's online store, etc) since they use that adobe drm.

Bottom line, if you want an ereader for reading, anything is good. If you want one for checking out books, make sure it supports the file type that the library uses. If you want one that has a basic browser and some online access, get a kindle.

Trust me, when you get the right reader, with the options you want, it's a loving joy.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just got my 650 in, and all I gotta say is WOW.

It's a lot smaller than I thought it would be (even smaller than the 505) but the screen is loving amazing.

There are contrast options!!!!!!! :neckbeard:

The touchscreen is pretty well set up, and is extremely responsive. I missed not having the buttons on the side of the reader like the 505 has for page turning, but swiftly learned I can move my thumb about 1/4" on the screen and the page turns.

This thing is cool :)

Only downside to it so far is the lack of a cover (not even a little pouch, like the 600s came with), and they went to microusb instead of keeping it mini.

That just means I gotta buy a cover or pouch from ebay, and I gotta grab a mini usb cable sometime, cause I always like to have a backup.

:dance:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
<:mad:> Don't care. I only have one micro usb cable, so it's a con for me since I have to go get a new couple of spare cables.

(the reader owns so hard, that the fact I gotta go buy a new cable for a backup is pretty much the only con besides lack of a cover)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, same as when I bought the 505. Got a usb cable for transferring and charging but no a/c adapter. That's why I have to buy a backup cable. If I lose this one I am boned.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.fictionwise.com is having a pretty cool sale this weekend!

40% off all ebooks, using the code dec1010 .

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I saw something at walmart called a goodbook reader? It was 99$, color lcd screen, etc. Don't think it was touch though. Had a keyboard.

Don't know anything about it, but figured someone would wanna know about it :)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I prefer the leather covers myself, not the sleeve ones.

Sleeve ones:
Pros -
Cheaper, I guess..
Protects better from liquid based mishaps/keeps poo poo out of holes/ports.

Cons -
I'm not 12 anymore, and this seriously feels like a velcro wallet for an adult.
Gotta unzip every time you want to read.

"Book" ones:
Pros -
Looks awesome.
Tend to be more rigid, meaning less chance of damage to screen.
Ereader feels more like a book.

Cons -
More expensive.
Limited choice of colors.
Doesn't keep poo poo out of ports/holes on ereader.

There are arguments to make for both styles, but if I had a choice, I would go with the leather book style cover.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have the 650 (350's big brother basically), and it's pretty great. Hell of a lot better than the kobo.

The screen is pretty amazing (new eink screen that the newest gen of kindles uses), the touchscreen is loving fantastic, and the software is pretty simple to use. If she can drag and drop files, she can add, remove, or organize the 350 how she wants.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Centipeed posted:

In Calibre, if you convert a book into another format, and THEN change the metadata on the book, does it update that metadata in both formats?

Also, Calibre has a "Number in the series" metadata, so it has "Book 1.00" for the first book, "Book 2.00" for the second book, etc.

But the Kindle seems to ignore this? Arranging by Author doesn't get the series in the right order. I suppose if worst comes to worst I could rename the titles to have numbers at the beginning, as I do with MP3s, but I'd prefer not to have to do that if anyone has a better solution.

You are going to have to rename the books.

That's pretty much the single biggest reason I bought a sony reader. The software blows, but it's got the ability to set collections up in any order you want without having to rename anything.

Some people use the calibre "Create a catalog" option to show the reading order, and then convert that list to something that can be read, but as far as I know the only option to get the series in the order you want to read is to rename it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For the guys who have new readers, remember a few websites to check out.

https://www.fictionwise.com - good books, some pretty cheap, usually a 40% off sale around once a month or so.

https://www.smashwords.com - good books, cheap, and the support is loving AMAZING.

https://www.inkmesh.com - what's available as an ebook, and how much it costs, price comparisons, etc.

RE: The 75$ credit thing for the sony 300s. Head to the sony website, and there is a link explaining how it works. Basically you sign up for it, you send them your reader, they send you a coupon to use on the site once it shows up.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For those looking for a cheap way to get into the ebook world, woot.com has the sony touch (prs 600) readers on sale today for 99$.

Pretty decent readers, for a pretty decent price.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yep.

You can stop that by either using the x@free.kindle.com address, or logging into your amazon account and changing your account limit for transfers to 0.00$.

That kinda bit me in the rear end when I had a kindle. Spent 5 bucks emailing books to myself :doh:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jimlad posted:

I guess I'll be getting the reader sooner rather than later in that case. Does anyone know how moddable the PRS-650 is? I heard it's relatively easy to make apps for it, don't know where I got that from though.

I have no idea, but I would like the information as well :)

I love my 650 but there are things about it I would change.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Paradise Lost ones look damned spiffy on my sony 650 :)

Thanks for the pics!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Astoundingly awful ereader on sellout.woot.com today.

Yea, it's color, and yea, it's cheap, and yea, it's pretty bad. Just a friendly warning.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You have to use the sony software if you buy books from the sony ebookstore.

However, Calibre runs a lot smoother, and a lot better than the sony software for managing your books and collections.

I would strongly suggest using calibre as well as the sony reader library.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up, Borders has the kobo wifi on sale for 99$ for the next few days.

Dunno much about it, but it seems to have pretty decent ratings and reviews online.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That is pretty hosed up :tizzy:

I kinda wince at the ebook prices when they are over :10bux: but it's still buyable when it's around 10-12. Having something cost MORE than the hardcover is just asking for it not to sell well, or to be :yarr:

Still, it is nice to see that publishers being retarded isn't enough to kill the ebook industry :unsmith:

Sort of on the same tangent, I was really surprised to find out that a lot of the books I wanted to buy weren't available as ebooks, but the used book prices on amazon had a few that were prime eligible! Kinda awesome, but I still got raped on shipping charges for the others I bought. loving 3.99 shipping PER BOOK is retarded. It's even worse when you find out that 2 or 3 of the books you order COME FROM THE SAME SHIPPER. One of these days I am gonna have to go to the local used book store and see if I can get some of these guys ordered there. Can't be any more expensive than this.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone use the Magic Wand portable scanner?

I keep seeing pretty good reviews, and I have quite a few books I would love to put in digital form. Haven't seen a single god damned thing about paperback sized scans though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If for some reason you have :20bux:x2 burning a hole in your pocket, Bed Bath and Beyond have the Sharper Image Literati ereader on sale.

It's getting pretty horrible reviews, but hey, color ereader. Can't really think of a reason to actually buy one, but it's a nice price.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What's the battery life on a rooted nook color?

Thinking of getting one, but can't really imagine what I would do with it other than what I do with my cell, which is just check email and maybe read something when I am in the bathroom.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
New firmware update for the Sony 650 is out. Just got the heads up from the software when I plugged my book in.

Just a heads up.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dunno what the nook uses, but I use Aldiko for epubs. Works pretty good and the premium version is something like 1.99 or 2.99.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only reasons I like my sony moreso than the kindle or nook :

1: milled aluminum feels "tougher" than kindle. Kindle is great and apparently made of metal as well, but feels fragile as hell.
2: sony lets me put my books into collections in whatever order I want. This means the correct listing order for discworld, the dresden files, etc.

It was worth it for me, but I am pretty anal about keeping my book series in order, etc. Works like a charm with calibre.

The touchscreen is pretty cool also. Kinda cool double tapping a word and having the dictionary pop open automatically.

In a perfect world, we would have kindle's ease of use and wireless, sony's collection abilities, and nooks user changeable batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
On the sony, there are buttons on the bottom to use as page turners and menu options, so you aren't tied to using the screen for everything.

Agreed with the toughness. I dropped my 500 hard enough to gouge a chunk out of the bottom side of the screen, and it's still rocking on.

The 505 came with an awesome leather case that survived about a year and a half in my duffel bag that I drug to work everyday. It's still going strong, but I sold it to a dude in russia.

The 650 didn't come with a case, but I bought a cheap kindle one on ebay when I was trying them out and it fits "good enough".

They builds em tough.