Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Why don't you just rename your books so they appear in sequence? 01 - The Magicians Nephew, 02 The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
How do I know which version of the Kindle Screensaver hack I should apply?

The wiki link in the OP says that I should check the serial number, but my kindle has no serial number in the place indicated in the photos.

I bought the international 3G version for Korea, if that's any help.

I spent the afternoon modifying pics into kindle wallpapers btw, so I'll upload a huge bunch of them for you guys later.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Thanks, just letting anyone who's not done it yet that jailbreaking the Kindle is totally idiotproof and easy. Well worth doing it, just to get rid of those awful default images. Now my dog sometimes greets me when I turn it off! :D

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Goddammit my Kindle 3 got the cracking problem 1 month out of warranty and they want to charge me 85 dollars to get it fixed. The worst thing is that the crack actually developed when it was within warranty but it was so small then I didn't worry about it.

So much for amazing Amazon customer service.

Think I might buy a Sony reader after this...Aluminium doesn't crack as easily.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Alternatively I could just call their customer service number and tell them I'd heard good things about Amazon customer support...and get a new one sent! Woohoo! :D

(Don't use their online chat service, the geeks on that aren't as nice as the phone people :D).

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I used to have a 650 to and I do remember the battery sometimes coming out flat when I left it charging overnight.

It might have been something to do with the way the device was mounted in windows. I'm not sure it charged if it was being used as a mass storage device.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Did the Iriver Story HD ever actually code out? it was promising a much higher rez screen paired with terrible Iriver jankiness.

(The Iriver Story case flexed and squeaked!)

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
When the first Irex came out it cost over $1000 and had a battery life of hours, not weeks.

My Sony PRS-500 cost about $270 + a lot of import costs as nobody seemed to want to sell anything outside of America at that point. Their book store was atrocious.

These days I can get a Kindle shipped almost anywhere in the world for almost nothing. Amazon have been the only ebook company interested in pushing prices down. I don't care if it's ultimately a selfish action - they have done more to help consumers than anyone else in the ebook industry.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Just had a look at the Iriver Story HD.

It uses a higher resolution screen to the competition and it's NICE. Really really nice. Has about the same contrast as a kindle but it's so much sharper and more pleasant to read. Everything feels responsive and quick. The interface isn't as good as the Kindle but it works well enough.

Only thing that stopped me replacing my kindle with it on the spot was the pathetic built in dictionary. You have to type in the word rather than being able to look it up on the page. Oh Korea, why do you have such wonderful hardware engineers and such terrible software engineers?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Ask yourself two questions before buying a 3G Kindle.

Do you lack the foresight to put enough books onto the internal memory?

Is there nothing else you'd rather spend that money on?

If the answers are yes and no, respectively, then go right ahead.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 30, 2014

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007

fordan posted:

Alternatively "Do you switch Kindle devices often when not at home and want to stay in sync?" or "Do I like buying or downloading previously bought books when not near wifi?"

There are good reasons to get the 3G version even if they don't apply to you.

Absolutely, and if money is no object then there's no reason not to. However if money is a consideration then a couple of small quality of life changes don't really make make a £139 Kindle that much better than the £79 one.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I've got a Kindle keyboard and I'm really feeling that new Kindle itch.

I've looked at some vids of the Paperwhite 2 vs Voyage and the lighted display seems to have been improved quite a bit, the resolution and buttons are nice too, but not a deal breaker.

My options are wait a month or so and pay 200 + shipping overseas for a really nice, or 100 right now for something that may be 'good enough.'

Does anyone have experience of all 3 devices? Do you think the Paperwhite 2 would be good enough for someone looking to ditch the heavy lighted case and read in bed without waking up a baby.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Holy crap! I just swapped my Keyboard for a Paperwhite and I'm in awe at this thing! I really regret waiting a year to see if anything better was coming out now.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Is it really that much better? I just picked up the Kindle for $59 to replace my broken Kindle Keyboard 3G, is it really worth over twice as much?

Yes.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I replaced my cheapo Chinese pleather Paperwhite case with an official Amazon case and I much prefer it.

It's a little heavier but it feels very nice in your hands. They look almost identical but the Amazon one is softer and has a much nicer texture. As far as protection goes, they're both fine. It's a minor luxury.

Worth the money in my opinion.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 12, 2015

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I like Bookerly but i wish it was a little bolder, you do get used to it though.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007

moflika posted:

Just got the new paperwhite and I'm impressed. I opened calibre to start to put some books on it and realized that my old Kindle Keyboard has a completely different resolution. Seems like I'm going to have to reconvert everything :(

O well,

After updating calibre, it seems that the conversion resolution for the paperwhite is from the PW2 days. Do you guys then just choose the Voyage profile? I'm guessing that the profile would work since the screens are exactly the same, no?

Kind of want to make sure before I mass convert incorrectly. Would it be worth it to wait for a calibre profile update?

edit: Also, all the new paperwhite users, do you guys convert to mobi or azw3?

I don't understand, do you mean picture books? Why would you need to reconvert anything?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Jesus. Why would I buy someone's maybe reader when I can have one of several really good readers on my doorstep with next day delivery for half the price? That's not even accounting for Amazon's incredible customer service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Just cough up the money for the proper leather case. You're going to spend thousands of hours holding this thing so you might as well get the one that looks and, more importantly, feels the best.