Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
What are peoples thoughts between the Nook Simple Touch vs the Kobo Touch?

I got the Nook when it was discounted to £30 and now The Kobo is down to £30 as well.

Is the Kobo better than the Nook and if so is it worth the upgrade (I could sell the Nook for £20)

(I havn't bought any B&N books so i don't have any vendor lock in)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
What about a Kobo Touch or Nook Simple Touch?

Both are decent and maybe ebay has them cheap.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

da weed wizard posted:

Anyone have any leads on any older model clearance e-readers? Or just a really cheap one that doesn't suck?

I just want a bare bones e-reader, I found the Nook Simple Touch for $35 at Office Max online, which would be perfect, except for its sold out.

The Kobo Touch and Mini have been £30 each but the Mini is now sold out and the Touch is back to £60 (if you can find it)

The Touch is worth it at £30

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Alder posted:

IIRC Calibre is probably the most used ebook converter despite how the UI looks quite ...uninspired. Did they ever fix the crashing bug sometimes when it's in the middle of converting many ebooks it'll break down on me which causes corrupt files.

Is it possible to take my purchased ebooks from the Kindle app from Amazon? I bought these books and I want to do whatever I want with it :sparkles: Also, the Kindle app is bad compared to Moon+ Reader.

Calibre has a plug in that will allow you to take DRM'd ebooks from your Kindle program on your computer and strip it out

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
So the Kobo Glo HD is out in Britain. Is it any good and is the Aura HD worth it if they discount it below £80?

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
For those with a Kobo Touch they have just updated the firmware to bring it into line with the newer Kobo's. It looks just a little bit better.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Odette posted:

My kindle is permanently in airplane mode and I don't even update it. I sideload my purchased ebooks in via Calibre after stripping the DRM. This option exists.

I also buy books where they are cheapest/have vouchers then use Calibre and the DRM plugin to strip out the crap.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Heners_UK posted:

The more and more research I do into eInk Android devices that allow .APK installation (without extraordinary hoop jumping, I know the Nook Simple Touch might be an option here), the more I'm kind of wondering if I should just:

a) Get a Kobo - Has Pocket (http://getpocket.com) and Overdrive support for Canadian Library book borrowing

b) Get a Kindle - Better market, but Pocket support only through Calibre and Canadian Library Book lending at best not easy (not directly supported by Overdrive

c) Wait a while and hope the market changes <-- not holding my breath

Calibre with an add on can strip the DRM from Kindle, Overdrive, Kobo and other DRM'd books so the only thing about buying books from the device store is ease of use or cross platform support. If you only ever read on one device and don't mind 30 seconds extra you can use any store.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
The Kobo Glo HD and the current Paperwhite are basically the same hardware so it comes down to Amazon or not. If you are invested in Amazon then go with the Paperwhite but if you have epubs then the Glo HD is a better option.

But the devices are so close that it really doesn't matter, it all comes down to where your books are and your initial impression of the device.

Oh and cost. Currently the Glo HD is cheaper but Amazon did have the Paperwhite on offer recently with 25% off

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Karthe posted:

Oh yeah, I know Calibre's main feature set involves ebook organization and management. But I'm one of those people who organizes by folder structure. I never bothered with Calibre because it seemed like an iTunes-esque organizer, in the sense that once you imported your collection into it you'd have to then search for everything by title or author to manually re-organize back into custom playlists/shelves/collections/etc... because there's no metadata within the ebooks that says "this is from the Humble Bundle Sci Fi bundle 2". With a file path I can tell it right away what collection a book is in because everything's in /Humble Bundle/Sci Fi Bundle/Volume 2/.

Storage is so cheap I let Calibre have its own library and also store the ebooks in a different folder as a backup and a way to tell the source. Unless you have more ebooks than you can possible read the entire thing is less than a single movie.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Duckboat posted:

Hey, I hope I didn't miss a similar question, and if so I apologize. I'm in the US and will be traveling to the UK. I have an old Kindle, non papewhite. I don't have the original charger, just a generic micro USB. I have a plug adapter for the UK but not a voltage adapter. Am I good, or should I grab one before the flight tomorrow?

As well as others have said you can also buy a UK micro USB charger from almost anywhere in the UK for around £10. Phone shops are everywhere on high streets and shopping centers and even supermarkets have them. Ebay.com also has them (shipped from China/Hong Kong for cheap).

That's what I did when I had a holiday in Spain i bought a European charger from Ebay.co.uk

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
I am wondering, why would you jailbreak a paperwhite and not just get a glo HD instead?

Can you do other things than just read books on it once jailbreaked?

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Present posted:

This is from a while back, not too sure what this means. Are you saying I can download a book from my public library Overdrive, then convert it into a regular non-DRM EPUB/MOBI book file with a Calibre plug-in? What is the plug-in?

The longer way to do this is to download the DRM'd book (using the Kindle desktop app, Adobe Digital edition etc), load the deDRM plugin to Calibre then just import the DRM'd book file into Calibre. The DRM is stripped out for you automatically.

Now the usual things apply like only do this for a book you own

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Demon_Corsair posted:

How do any of the current kobo models stack up to the voyage or oasis?

My venerable kobo touch has finally given up and won't power on.

The Kobo Touch HD is nearly identical to the current Paperwhite.

Which one you want comes down to price and if you are tied into a specific ecosystem.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Also even just having the screen at minimum brightness helps with readability in all but the brightest situations.

I have my Kobo touch hd on 10% brightness and it helps when I just have the table lights on and I don't want the main lights on

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

How does USB-C tangibly improve the product?

I've seen this statement given for not buying something in the past and it's honestly baffling.

USB-C has three advantages. It is double sided so can be inserted either way, it is stronger so can take more abuse (usb micro is quite delicate and many a device has been bricked by the port breaking), and can take more power.

Now for e-readers these advantages are not as important as they would be for phones are laptops so you won't see a refresh just to stick USB-C on them, like you saw with the iPad to move from the old 30pin to lightning.

When the models get refreshed in their natural lifepans then you will see the change but it is not work it at the moment with devices that don't need much power and don't get charged much (relative to phones)

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
The Kobos are currently the top tier option against the Amazon juggernaut and the Clara HD is basically identical to the Paperwhite but an epub device. You will need something like Caliber to manage the content if you don't buy from Kobo though.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
DeDRM doesn't work with the newer kindle encryption, you have to download a much older version of the desktop reader that doesn't support the new encryption and DeDRM that.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
So I stupidly managed to break the screen on my Glo HD.

The choices are

Clara HD for £110
Paperwhite for £130 (without ads)
Libre H2O for £150

I side load so the stores don't matter and I much prefer the 300dpi screens but the choices are hard. For a little bit more than the Clara I can get waterproof bit a little more than the paperwhite o can get a 7inch screen.

But then I am spending 40% more than I started out with.

Are the 7inch screens worth it?

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
The Kobo Clara HD is basically the Paperwhite but a bit cheaper and has an adjustable backlight colour instead of being waterproof.

I ended up with he Kobo as I sideload most books as I get them from places other than Amazon.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Rudeboy Detective posted:

My guess is that they're closer to the supply chain than Amazon/Kobo and that it's just simply cheaper to use the newer connector.

Amazon/Kobo might be after some kind of continuity, or something.

Also the likes of Amazon and Kobo have product development teams, have to actually support the device and have a mapped lifecycle with electronic compliance testing. Plus Amazon and Kobo make the money on content and not hardware.

Some where along the line an MBA is going to ask how much putting a USB C connector on an existing product is going to cost Vs the likely increase in sales.

Now the Chinese makers rely on selling hardware so need a new USP to sell you a new device as often as they can.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

The United States posted:

Amazon already moved to USB-C on their cheap Fire Tablets so clearly the cost isn't high at all, an MBA clearly looked at the price and decided it was worth it and there were no problems with electronic compliance testing. So what's the holdup on their similarly priced and even more expensive Kindles?

And I have no idea what software support teams would have to do with the charging connection.

Tablets have a much shorter life cycle than ebook readers so get updated much more often for processor and screen. When you are already updating a product then changing the connected can be done but refreshing a product just to change the connector can be too much effort for no gain.

I expect the next refresh that Amazon will go USB C but it will be a product refresh for other things and the connector will be added to it.

For the support teams I didn't just mean software, but the hardware support and customer services as well. A new product needs new accessories like covers, cables and chargers as well as all the new marketing materials, customer service scripts and much more electronic product compliance sign-offs.

Ebook readers are a niche product with a slow rate of development so are always going to be behind the bleeding edge of development.

Yes it is annoying to have a different cable but complaining about ebook readers being behind the curve is more like complaining that a car only has USB A charging ports and not USB C ports than mobile phones. Plenty of phones being released still come with USB Micro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

EvilElmo posted:

Uhhh.. I want to get an e-reader to reduce the amount of books piling up in my apartment.

I've got an iPad and I've been using that, but I'm looking for something a bit smaller to use on the bus/train etc.

Whats the current hotness? Gotta be available in Australia. Shipping at the moment just... hosed.. so more mainstream available in stores kind of options only.

That comes down to two questions.

1. How deep are you into Amazon's ecosystem

2. Can you deal with a little faffing about.

If you are deep into Amazon's pockets or need something to just work then the Paperwhite is a great option and if Ozzyland is like the disUnited Kingdom then you can find it off the shelf in lots of electronics retailers.

If you can deal with a bit of third party software (calibre) then you can add the Kobo Clara HD as well. Slightly easier to sideload books into than the Paperwhite and in the UK is about £10 to £20 cheaper than the Paperwhite. You should be able to find Kobo stocks locally even if it has to be posted.