Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
So now that the first commercially available color e-reader is out, how long until we get one big enough for comics? one with two screens would be loving killer but I dunno if that'll ever be a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It's still pretty damned early in this technology. Is there any reason to think it won't be vastly improved upon before Amazon and the like pick it up? I was reading some reddit posts on the Kindle subreddit from as little as 2-3 years ago where the consensus was we wouldn't have any kind of color E-INK available commercially in the next decade. Not that those people mean anything, but doesn't seem like there's any kind of general knowledge of how it's going to evolve.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I don't like the oasis's one handed design at all. I've had mine for a year and a half, and it works, but if they ever release a new voyage I'm going back immediately.

I must switch hands a lot more than the average Kindle reader because I get frustrated by it on a daily basis.

The "no longer fits in my back pocket" problem is also very annoying.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
If the new paperwhite has USB C I will probably swap from my Oasis.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Try doing a full Kindle restart while it's plugged in, via holding down the power button?

E: also, have you had this Kindle show up as a drive on your PC previously, or first time trying this combination?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It's not remotely a good solution, but you could install Calibre, convert them to EPub, then install the plugins listed in step one here that let you split Epubs in it. Then convert the split files to MOBI to send to it via email.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Whether or not you should bother depends on how and where you use it.

I don't have any situations where I read standing up, and I've gone 11 years of constant reading without ever dropping and breaking a Kindle. The only time I ever had a case was when I had a commute that was mostly standing.

I find them honestly a bit annoying. Modern Kindles are pretty durable, I don't feel like I'm risking it throwing mine in my pocket for a day trip or something.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

x1o posted:

I'm currently reading books on my phone which is alright, but I'm finding the screen is just a bit too narrow and it's messing up some of the formatting in certain books. So I'm looking at getting a 6" Kobo Clara, or is there a better device I should be looking at? Is 6" good for a screen size or should I upgrade to something larger? I'm mostly just looking for something lightweight that can sync with my Calibre libraries via Wifi.

6" is perfectly fine unless you're planning on using it for textbooks/stuff with a lot of pictures or diagrams. 6" is great because it still fits in most pants pockets. The reading experience is similar to a paperback at that size.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I thought bigger would be better and had both the Forma and Oasis for a while but found the 6" more comfortable for one-hand reading in bed, so got rid of them and happily kept my Clara and Poke 3.

I'm on the Oasis now but I miss my Voyage. I switch hands enough that losing focus to flip it over really sucks. Not sure how I'd feel about a symmetrical 7" screen though.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Fallom posted:

I don’t go out of my way to look at it. When I’m reading it’s just the text of the book until I’m done and pick another.

I’m aware that I could make a habit of checking the battery every night or something. I’d just rather have a warning at 10% instead of 1%.

yup. Also going from a Voyage where I could safely dismiss the warning and read for like, hours makes it all the more jarring.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

smackfu posted:

Interesting. I always assumed they didn’t do that because it would incentivize people to pay to remove the offers and they don’t really want to do that.

Wow, yeah.. the firmware had the feature added months and months (years?) ago but not accessible so I assumed it was a dead end. I will be so loving stoked if it's true, but I remain skeptical at this point.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
people getting the 5.13.5 update in the US arent seeing the feature added. I will lol forever if they enabled it on accident in some versions of the patch

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
People on Reddit are reporting the Kindle book cover feature has arrived in most of Europe and the U.S.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Seems to be updating pretty much randomly over the last couple days. I'm still without it no matter how many restarts :rip:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
they refuse to give me it but of course they instantly updated my firetv to the new ungodly awful UI :mad:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the year is 2033. i stare hatefully at my kindle omega, the lock screen stubbornly set to a closeup of a typewriter's keys. why cruel god may i not see the cover of my book

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Today was apparently the "100% worldwide" rollout of the Kindle lockscreen cover feature according to their customer service. I restarted today and finally got it!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I miss my Voyage and its battery life. Please just make a new Voyage thank you

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Alehkhs posted:

Gimme back page-turn buttons. :mad:

Yeah I really hope there's another Voyage/Oasis style line coming, but the "Signature Edition" + 6.8" sizes make me wonder if there will be.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm enjoying how no models have an ergonomic design. Why even put it on the feature comparison?

I think the current Oasis is probably included to the right but cropped out.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
give me a new voyage with physical buttons and usb-c plzzz

my oasis got real stuck the other day, took 3 tries of holding down power for 30+ seconds to get it to finally reboot. I fear I will be buying a new Kindle again soon :ohdear:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the Voyage had kind-of-physical page-turn buttons that were touch sensitive and on both sides. I've always liked having buttons on both sides since I switch hands a lot. I really don't like the ones without buttons at all since I use it left handed more often than right.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Hey, what's the advantage to e-ink? I'm looking at either the Pocketbook Basic 4 https://goodereader.com/blog/product/pocketbook-basic-4 or Touch Lux and I'm wondering if I really need e-ink. I don't see myself being in a situation where I'll need a device to go a week without a charge.

Basically I need something that 1) doesn't spy on me 2) works with Libby by Overdrive. Ideally I'd just be able to hook the reader up to my phone and load the files straight from Libby to the device, but I have zero experience with tablet computers or e-readers so I'm not sure if that's possible.

I'm not opposed to getting an older device secondhand, but I hear they tend to be pretty busted up by the time they're discarded. Really I just have a huge backlog of PDFs I want to read and I'm hoping a reader will be less murder on my eyes and attention span than a phone.

basically i've bolded the benefit of e-ink. if you need a device just for reading text, it's absolutely worth every penny and little incovenience/software foible, because of this. i can spend an entire day reading my kindle, i have to take constant breaks on a traditional screen.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Kindles have series grouping now. Not sure if Calibre or something will let you set it up though. Or even if that's what you're talking about!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Tamba posted:

Fun fact: Send to Kindle could always handle epub files, but in a janky way:
If you try to email an epub file directly, it would just reject it. But if you rename the file to something else that needs to be converted (e.g. .png) it would.... just realize that it's actually an epub file and convert it for you :v:

I wonder if that method will work for MOBI

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My wife's new Kindle Paperwhite 2021 has frozen and doesn't respond to the usual press and hold on the power button to do a hard reset. Is it likely bricked or can I flash the firmware onto it from my PC somehow?

I can't help on the firmware but I have had Kindles freeze and require both a power cord and 2+ minutes of holding down the power button to come back. I don't give up on holding down the power button on those after the first time it worked

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
my Oasis is down to sub-8 hour battery life now with airplane mode on :(

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The Palma looks interesting but it just reminds me of the fact I upgraded from a pocketable Voyage to a non pocket fitting Oasis :mad:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
True physical buttons are v good but I honestly didn't mind the quasi buttons on the old Voyage. At least, they never gave me any issues.

Rip voyage, I miss your ambidexterity and actually fitting in my pocket :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'll probably go with a regular kindle when my Oasis dies if they don't put out a new premium one in the regular symmetric style before then.