Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Everyone keeps going on about the paperwhite, but the $130 dollar version "includes special offers". I have absolutely no interest in owning a device that shits ads at me.

According to Amazon's page at https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200671290, it is possible to remove ads, but "you will be charged a one-time payment to unsubscribe from this service, covering the difference between the device price with and without special offers." Of course they don't tell you how much that charge is going to be.

Does anyone with a Paperwhite know, or could you visit that page and find out, how much removing ads adds to the cost of the device?

Edit: Never mind, I didn't realize when you actually go to buy it you can choose "without special offers." The difference is $20. Absolutely worth it.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Tewdrig posted:

Or if you have to buy new, they go on sale constantly. Whenever their prime sale comes around this summer would be a good time for Amazon-branded gear, most likely, or just set up an alert. It has gone to $120 twice this year, and went to $110 in January, without the ads. https://camelcamelcamel.com/Kindle-Paperwhite-Now-Waterproof-Storage/product/B075MWNNJG

Apparently I just got really lucky; happened to check this thread again today, and the Paperwhite is $40 off right now. Ad-free version ordered for $110, I'm happy with that.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

reMarkable update: I sent it back after a week. One of the major intended use cases was for my wife to read & annotate scientific papers, but any PDF from Science took over 15 seconds to load each page, and occasionally crashed the entire device. Most other PDFs were fine, but she reads so many from Science that we weren't going to compromise on a $450 device.

Do you have an example PDF anywhere? I recently got a Onyx Boox Note 2 and I've come to really like it, I could test it with one of your texts and report back. It's priced similarly to the reMarkable.