Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Got my Touch 3G to replace a non-3G Keyboard model today. It's... small. Very. I like it. It's completely one-handable, which I found to not be always possible with certain grips on the KK. The keyboard is a lot more usable, too, just plain faster.

Now for the damned case to get here, as that was the main reason I wanted this one in the first place (top-centered light instead of the OCD-triggering upper right corner? YES PLEASE) and I can't really use it in bed with the wife's aversion to my big, old reading lamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Also, the much-more recessed screen (required for the touch scanners) will probably go a long way to preventing the screen failures that we've all heard a lot about. And, I will think, the hairline fracture issue at the screen corners that a lot of people had and that mine started evidencing within a month of purchase.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I was hesitant to buy a Paperwhite because I had just upgraded to the Touch like a year ago but... holy poo poo am I glad I did. I love the screen, the slight res increase, the official case...

It's even more booklike now with the official case's "turn on when you open it, turn off when you're done" action.

It's a bit of a decision if you're on the Touch, but if you're on any earlier version of the Kindle the upgrade is a no-brainer.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, it's really nice. It feels like it should have been part of it.

Agreed. I was worried that upgrading to the PW from a slight-beat-up-but-working-fine Touch was a bit extravagant, but I really love the slightly-higher res, the backlighting (even with the spottiness at the bottom of the screen, which is still much less annoying than the uneven top-lighting of the old case light with the Touch), it LOOKS much better than the Touch (seriously, the industrial design on this thing is nice as hell)... the case is the topper. I haven't touched the power button once since first turning it on when I got it thanks to the handy as poo poo "close cover, Kindle goes to sleep" feature.

Charge, for what it's worth, has been about the same as the Touch, unscientifically observed.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Vegetable posted:

Can anybody comment on iPad mini as an ebook reader? I have a Nook Simple Touch without GlowLight and wouldn't mind something with light. I'm shunning ebook readers in general because all of them suck rear end with maps and graphs, which is a lot of the history and non-fiction books I read.

I was a diehard Kindle user until I got my Mini. It's almost as comfortable in bed as my paperwhite but, as you note, does way better at pics and maps. I'm a big history buff as well so the map thing is important. And it's a great tablet as well.

I still use my Paperwhite for novels though.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

So, I have a 1st Gen Paperwhite and a weird new issue. Until a few weeks ago, it was always in the official Amazon case for it. Nice case, but I wanted to slim it down so I popped it out. I thought the only way the screen should come on on an uncased Paperwhite is via the power button at the bottom? Because this thing likes to randomly wake up just by being picked up, having something like my keys set down next to it... it's not so much a PROBLEM per se as it is damned annoying. Anybody else having this happen?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Got my Voyager last night and love it. The additional PPI really helps with maps and images, which, since I mostly read non-fiction history, matters quite a bit to me. I'm also finally able to dump Caecilia in favor of Palatino. The variable-weight fonts looked kind of lovely on the lower PPI screens when you read at the smallest font size with thinnest margins and line-spacing. Now, they don't

I'm pretty sure I'd still prefer dedicated, physical page-turn buttons but PagePress will do, and is a nice addition to being able to page turn via swiping the screen as well.

I _love_ that the screen is now flush with the bezels instead of sunken. The interior edges of the bezels on all previous Kindles always seemed to be crumb and dust magnets (I've gone caseless ever since they started integrating backlights). Not a problem with this screen.

I'm thinking this Kindle should last me until color e-ink screens finally become economically viable. Unless they release a bigger size, that's my one complaint with this one. I'd prefer something sized more like an iPad Mini.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

man, e-readers must be going the way of the dodo if Amazon finally addresses the poo poo typography of the Kindle family but releases it first to the iOS app and the _actual_ Kindles won't get it until "later this summer". Makes me soooo glad I bought a Voyager for its premier Kindle experience.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

noirstronaut posted:

I'm having such a hard time telling the difference between this font and Cecilla or the one that looks like it says Cecilla

It def looks better, a lot of the little details typography nerds (*raises hand*) care about are beautifully done. I need to see if there's a way to find out which books I own have been redone to use the new typography engine because that's where the other big needed changes are, like the new, sensible justifications, drop caps, etc..

smr
Dec 18, 2002

How does word density matter on an e-reader? Bookerly is fantastic. Caecillia looks like baby's first attempt at block-printing.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

Some of us don't like to have 5 words on a page like we're Grandma Mindy

I use the second-smallest font size on both my Voyager and the Kindle app on my iPad Air and I think Bookerly looks significantly better on both. Both fonts provide tons of words per page at that size. Is his REALLY a problem for some people? Sheesh.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes, it is a big issue to many people because half the reason we got ereaders is so we could have books customized to our font/line density/margin/etc preferences.

So a font that literally shows four less words out of four hundred on a "screen" than a different font that looks much more terrible otherwise is an actual issue to you?

If so, you probably never should have bought a kindle in the first place then because they never promised infinite adjustability.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's an issue in that I'm disappointed the font looks kinda decent but I can't really use it. You'd consider it an issue if you hosed up cooking dinner wouldn't you? And it's way more than just 4 words a page on my settings.

I'm just not seeing the huge disparity in words-per-page at the second-smallest font setting on either Kindle App or Kindle Voyager. What settings are you using? Are you using Caecillia or Caecillia Narrow?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

That's nice for you, here's how it is for me:

There ends up being 2 sentences missing a page, between Bookerly and Cacellia Condensed.

My bad, you're correct, I'll go burn my Voyager right now.

Aside: man, Cacellia Condensed looks like hosed rear end next to Bookerly.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

bull3964 posted:

You are arguing with Fishmech.

Stop engaging Fishmech.

Ahhhhh gently caress. This explains much.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

EPUB support wouldn't require a hardware refresh in the least, seeing as how AZW3 is just a modified EPUB format.

It _would_, however, require Amazon to be a completely different company than it has been since it was founded.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

lol at all the scrubs who don't have an Aura H20 for pool-reading and a Voyager for everything else.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Goddammit. My wife put my Voyager in her purse Saturday and when I went to read it last night there's a single crack running all the way from bottom to top. It lights up, but the touchscreen is completely unresponsive as are the haptic buttons.

Feh. I'll miss the flush screen a bit, but otherwise the new PW will do as a replacement. I like the Amazon covers on those better than the weird origami flipboard thing the Voyager got.

Dammit.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Call Me Charlie posted:

Did you try contacting Amazon? They may replace the screen or offer you a refurbished one at a discount.

I... I'm going to check into this.

Just assumed I was hosed. Forgot how good their customer service is.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

hope and vaseline posted:

Calibre's font smoothing is horrible, if it even uses any.

Actually it seems to use cleartype at smaller font sizes. Try making it smaller and see if it helps readability?

edit: tried it myself, Bookerly looks like rear end, maybe because it was hinted for the Kindle screen. Comparing two similar fonts

Geez. Bookerly's a really beautiful, readable font on my Voyage and iPad at least. Gotta work to make it look that lovely. I'm impressed, Calibre! (j/k, I love your software, as 1997 janky-assed Java as it is).

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Mozi posted:

The new Kindles have to be coming out next week at this point, right? Guess they'd be folded in with other Amazon Black Friday hubbub?

Genuinely looking like there aren't going to be new ones this year, just a decent Black Friday sale on the existing ones (and maybe, finally, the first ever sale price on Voyages? Not that I haven't already bought two of the fuckin' things at full-freight...).

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I switch between a Voyage and an iPad Air 2 and read heavily on both. I really prefer how iBooks formats stuff over the Kindle (Athelas 4 Lyfe) and wish Amazon would add some more goddamned typography options to their e-readers. And make a bigger one again.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Has anybody ever used the Onyx e-readers at all? They've got a refreshed 9.7in model coming out soon and that's the size I really want for an e-reader (I'd prefer to buy a Kindle in that size but Amazon apparently has no intention of ever making one larger than 6" ever again, the bums). Just curious if anybody here has hands-on experience with them at all.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Not personally, but I went looking for it since I'd love a bigger ereader and while that one is a biggie, it's also not lighted.

I'm spoiled by my paperwhite. Can't go back to just regular e-ink.

One of the new n96's now has front-lighting. I agree, that's a non-negotiable feature at this point.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

chippy posted:

Has anyone else read JPod by Douglas Coupland? Almost every page has this weird hanging indent that seems to start a random distance down the page, and I'm not sure if it's intentional or some sort of typesetting error with the ebook.

I read the physical book and that book had a lot of the weird typesetting experimentery that the Kindle just isn't that good at handling. It barfed hard on the stylized "J" in the novel of the same name, too.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, the screen is the real highlight. Yeah, the paperwhite now has the same panel, but that flush micro-etched glass just makes the package. Perfectly glare resistant, zero fingerprints, and no fuzz and dust getting stuck in corners.

Gotta concur. I broke my first Voyage and went cheap on the latest Paperwhite to replace it and lasted about a week before returning that and sucking it up on another Voyage. The screen is just so, so good (the dust in the corners/along the edges thing has driven me batty on every other ereader I've had).

If they made one of these in 8in. instead of just 6in., it'd be perfect.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Only way it's going to get more battery life is by going thicker and heavier and putting a larger battery in it and that would sort of ruin the device.

It takes power to refresh a screen with that many pixels.

This. I also noticed a pretty big drop in battery life going from my prior PW to the Voyage, but since it's still the only device I have that isn't only a daily recharge schedule, I still find it refreshing :) I read a lot, but a lot of that reading is shared between physical books, the Voyage, and iPads so the Voyage still only ends up needing a top-off monthly.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

So, Bezos just said that Amazon is announcing a new top-end Kindle next week. Please, please, PLEASE be the Voyage, but bigger.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Daimo posted:

After going through two Oasis's in two days from a store I think I will wait for Amazon to iron out quality control issues and buy from them when they get stock.

Mine's been solid; what issues are you having? (Maybe I have them to and just aren't aware of it!)

On the Oasis in general, I have humongous gorilla hands and long fingers and it might just be a bit too small for me to deal with :S I can't get a comfortable grip with my thumb naturally located over the page-turn button, whether I set "next page" to the top or bottom button. I end up gripping it just like I did my Voyage, with a full hand wrap around the back and I just extend a finger in from the right side to screen-swipe next page.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Kobo Announces New Premium E-Reader

Not gonna lie... I'm all over this. 7.8" hi-res screen? Said screen is also flush to the bezels? Color Temperature warming options? Integrated Overdrive? And even more waterproof than the Aura H20?

Man. I already own an Oasis and I'm still getting this. I've wanted a bigger screen on a dedicated e-reader that isn't just some Android tablet trash from overseas forever. I have an Aura H20 as well and it's a great pool-side device, I'll happily move my e-reading lock-in to the Kobo store if prices are the same as they are on Amazon (which they have been the few times I've checked). The only things this is missing are: dedicated turn buttons (I like them but can live without) and 3G (nice to have, not really critical).

They're also releasing this in a typical 6" form factor as well, but gently caress that, that's just way too small and I'm beyond annoyed that it's been the dominant, nay, only size available in a real e-readers since the DX.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

6.9mm despite that enormous screen? :eyepop:

It is kind of heavy at 230g. I don't know if I'd be comfortable holding that for more than an hour.

It looks great. I love the automatic (or manual) color temperature, and it's actually reasonably priced. IPX8 is an impressive amount of waterproofing, too.

That said, I do think the Oasis is overall the better device. I wish they'd made it 6.8'' but you can't have everything.

Yeah, it's thinner than a 6S Plus, which is just bonkers.

The Oasis is very, very nice, but I prefer how the Kobo allows one to organize their library way more than how the Kindle allows. Yeah, I use Calibre for converting between the two but for native books bought on-device, I like how the Kobo does it. And, dat screen. The Oasis is just frickin' tiny.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Call Me Charlie posted:

What ever happened to the generic version of that giant Sony reader somebody crowdfunded?

- edit Found it. The Good e-Reader 13.3 for $600 - It's shipping next month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWQmLszu_mI

Isn't the Sony one down near that price these days? It's still PDF-only, though, which is dumb.

13.3 is on the end of the size spectrum for me from "way too small". iPad Mini-ish size is what I prefer for reading, works great with the non-fiction I tend to favor. Bigger would probably be great if textbooks or ridiculous PDFs were still a big part of my life.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Manky posted:

I have a Kobo and usually buy from Google Books. Best thing you can do is download from there, circumventing DRM as necessary, and then use Calibre with whatever that Advanced Kobo plugin is to send the file over.

...Direct access sure would be nice.

For whatever it's worth, Calibre has been great at stripping and moving all of my Amazon books over to the H2O so far, so I imagine Google stuff will as well too.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Grawl posted:

So my Kobo Aura ONE arrived today. I love how bright/big the screen is. Doesn't work right out of the box with Calibre, but if you enabled experimental features in Calibre it works just fine.

Did you get a "shipped" notification or anything other than the receipt from when you made the purchase? I ordered mine on the 30th when they made the pre-order available, would love if it just showed up this week.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

brainwrinkle posted:

How do people like the size of the Kobo Aura One? I had an old Nook Touch. It seemed a little small and died shortly after the warranty expired.

So far, for my non-fiction books, it's fantastic. For fiction, I find myself still using the Oasis. Not sure I've had the Kobo long enough to decide on either for the long-term. I do like the Oasis' ability to fit in a back pocket, which you will not be doing with the Kobo.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Vegetable posted:

The light's insanely important unless you read exclusively on a reading chair with perfect lighting.

With my old Nook Simple Touch I had to buy one of those lovely book lights and strap it to the case. My Voyage is a world of difference.

This is what I'm struggling with as a flip between the Kobo Aura 2 and the Oasis; the night shift feature is nice, but the lighting on the Kobo is so uneven compared to the basically perfect distribution on the Oasis.

Please, Amazon, just make a new Oasis DX somewhere around the 7.5-8.5in screen size and let me give you all of my moneys.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

brainwrinkle posted:

I'm somewhat interested in getting the Kobo Aura One, but it's never in stock in the US.

I like mine, but half-tempted to sell it because I end up going back to the Oasis because, screen size aside, it is just a much more pleasant device to use.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

whomupclicklike posted:

I will never pay above 80 dollars for a Kindle

Fair, but man do I ever love my Oasis. Fits in the back pocket of jeans, has real buttons. loving LOVE the thing.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Space Fish posted:

Barnes & Noble burned me a couple times in a row and I'd like to divest myself of their products and services.

What are the chances of a sweet Kobo sale this Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

Does anyone own a Kobo Aura H2O 2nd edition they'd like to praise to high heaven? Or another Kobo device worth salivating over?

Edit: Whoops, Aura One is also waterproof and has Overdrive built in? Sign me up! ...when it's a little cheaper.

If it helps any, an Aura One is my vacation/backup e-reader and I really do like it. I just like the Oasis due to the integration with my existing library a littttle bit more so I tend to use that for regular daily reading. But the Aura really earned its keep on a jaunt to Mexico where the wife and I basically sat in a pool reading all day while getting slowly inebriated. Not having to worry about splashing or any of that was really nice, and the form factor really fits the types of books I tend to read (big ol' middle-aged white guy histories with lots of images and maps). The extra size makes parsing an e-ink map so much easier than it is on the typical 6" e-reader screen.

The Overdrive integration is also super-great, every e-reader should have this (yeah, I know, will never happen due to Kobo owning Overdrive now and Amazon having fuckall reason to want to make it easy to get free books onto a Kindle but still, it's really nice to have).

I'd probably consider switching my e-reading over to Kobo entirely if their tablet app wasn't such trash, and if I didn't have such a backlog of Kindle books waiting to be read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Space Fish posted:

After a little over a week, I want to keep raving on the Kobo Aura One, because goddamn has my prose reading taken off like never before on this device. Six-inch ereaders now feel cramped like an adult riding a kid's bike. Also, I love how slim the leather Kobo case is and the feel of the fuzzy flap in my hand when it's open for reading.

My only hangups at this point are the reconnection attempts for wifi, almost as if the device forgets its own connections, and Overdrive permissions arbitrarily having problems. Is Nintendo in charge of Kobo's online functions, or what?

Even so, best form of ereader I've used. Amazon and Barnes & Noble should take notes for refreshing their own product lines.

I've seriously rebought books I already own on Amazon's system just so I could read them via the excellent Aura One and it's (trash) iPad app. If that app weren't total garbage, I'd migrate all the way over. But, honestly, in my best world, Amazon releases a Aura One-sized waterproof top-tier Kindle and I will finally, blissfully be happy with my reading ecosystem across the board. I really like the Oasis but, like you, find it almost comically tiny after using the Aura One (though the back-pocketability factor of that thing is a treat when I'm out and about). I love Amazon's tablet app. Whichever platform gets both right first gets all my money in the future.