Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

smackfu posted:

http://twitter.com/AmazonKindle/status/7153261815533568

Kindle 2G for $89 on Black Friday.
As someone who's only used a Kindle 3, how much worse is a 2? Is it even worth saving the $50 on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

fishmech posted:

You know Best Buy carries them too right? Probably your best chance.
The guy at the front of Best Buy told me that they aren't told when they're getting more because they're delivered by Amazon and not their normal delivery people.

But since even Amazon says there is a 8-9 day wait online, I doubt any stores are having them shipped to them.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Neurosis posted:

I repeat: what good sites are there that will sell to Australians? I am having a hard time finding anything. It's utterly ludicrous how little is available on my Kindle. Truly pathetic.
ebooks.com and fictionwise.com are both pretty decent.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

The Kindle app for iPad and iPhone may also get pulled if Apple continues to be a dick about sales through the app store (or with not selling with in app payment). Absolutely absurd if that happens.
They did this to Sony, but I really don't see this happening to the Kindle app--it's too much of a draw to potential/current iOS users to have access to their Kindle books to pull the app.

I may be surprised at some point, but I don't see them pulling this.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Lendle was just posted on Daring Fireball (it's an Apple/gadget related blog, if you don't know). It's "a new service that lets you share books with other Kindle users."

quote:

If a fellow Lendler requests a book you own, you’ll get a notification asking if you want to lend it. When you lend a book, the borrower will have it for 14 days, and then it will be automatically returned to your Kindle.

The site is being hammered right now, but it seems like a pretty interesting idea.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Not that it brings anything new to the discussion really, but it's interesting to note that NPR ran a story about rooting the Nook Color today.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

brylcreem posted:

Yeah, gently caress poor people! They're all so poor, with no money! They don't deserve to read, they can just wallow in filth like they deserve!

:aynrand:

It's not even poor people; I can't imagine having written my MA thesis without access to libraries. I'd have spent like $500 on Baudrillard alone.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
To be a fair, in a 'real' academic setting (read: probably not an undergraduate gen-ed lit class), you would likely not be using a Kindle edition as a source.

I've had professors that would have gone crazy if they saw a works cited page with Kindle page numbers on it.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

fishmech posted:

In case anyone needs this:

How to cite an ebook for MLA style:

Format:

Author's Last Name, First Name. Title of Book. Place of publication: Publisher, copyright date. Source of eBook. Web. Date of Access.

Example:

Welch, Kathleen E. Electric Rhetoric: Classical Rhetoric, Oralism, and a New Literacy. Cambridge: MIT, 1999. netLibrary. Web. 21 Oct. 2004.

For in text citation, you do the same author name + "page" number or location numbers as a regular book.
Look at Amazon's listing for any popular novel like, say, The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells. There are tons of various versions available; which Kindle version are you citing? They're all "Kindle Ed." but there's absolutely no guarantee the arbitrary locations match up. In fact, formatting in electronic books is pretty hit or miss.

Obviously the MLA has guidelines in place for using them; what I'm saying is that for any sort of serious academic work would likely require you to use a hard copy edition. Just as any serious academic work would require you to source an actual journal article rather than simply cite a web page the article appears on.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Doc Faustus posted:

Presumably there's only one (or a small number) of editions of the HG Wells book that would have a given city of publication or publisher listed. Which is exactly the reason that the citation style requires the publisher, the place of publication, AND the year.

As I said before, of course it's possible to cite from a Kindle, but there's also no guarantee the Kindle version has any of this information or that it's easy to find said version for someone working with your paper. Listing this in your works cited page makes for a lot more work for whoever is looking at and trying to find your sources than listing this.

This may be tangential to the discussion, but you also have to remember that a lot of professors can barely check their loving email. They don't want to have to source various Kindle editions when the only easily accessible versions they have are analog copies.

Mr. Despair posted:

I don't think citing a kindle book is the same as citing a web page, as far as credibility goes.

You can argue semantics if you want, but this has all the credibility in the world, yet if you wanted to cite "America" in any significant piece of research you'd need to find an actual copy of it.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

Kobo just kicked Amazon and Sony's rear end

No physical page turn buttons is a downside though

I'd prefer not to have my eReader's screen covered in fingerprints like my phone.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Amazon regularly sells refurb lighted cases for much lower prices. Don't pay $60 for it, it's not worth that much. I paid $25 for mine and it looked brand new.

Yeah, just watch the store for the case to be available from Amazon Warehouse Deals or whatever; it'll be like $25 and look brand new.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

LamoTheKid posted:

It doesn't work on the iPhones safari browser.

It very likely will soon though. I'm actually more excited about it working on my PC than anything else, because the Kindle PC application was some Adobe Air powered piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

chippy posted:

His stuff seems to be somewhat reduced on the UK store currently too. I've never read any Kurt Vonnegut, what would be a good starter book?

Slaughterhouse-Five is his best work, I'd say. Vonnegut is fantastic though, and you really can't go wrong.

Here are the grades he gave his own stuff:
Player Piano: B
The Sirens of Titan: A
Mother Night: A
Cat's Cradle: A-plus
God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater: A
Slaughterhouse-Five: A-plus
Welcome to the Monkey House: B-minus
Happy Birthday, Wanda June: D
Breakfast of Champions: C
Slapstick: D
Jailbird: A