Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I have a Kindle Voyage. Can someone kindly explain to me why there has already been two generations of the Oasis since my ereader came out and if I should care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Thanks for the info, I'll be sticking with my Voyage for now.

Apr 7, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

Thanks. I ended up buying one of those with the 20% off, and it should get here tomorrow. Got the Voyage yesterday and it’s pretty nice. I am curious as to how the origami case feels versus the current book one on my paperwhite.

I've been using a Kindle Voyage + leather origami case since 2015 and they still look brand new. The Voyage is still imho the best Kindle device and I'm happy as a clam at Amazon's eInk device longevity. I should get plenty more out of this one.

Apr 7, 2003

im on the net me boys posted:

I still want to do it but like my brain has shame for some reason and I've had the drat thing for multiple years now. Should I just make my fiance do it for me and if so what lines should he feed them

Just pay to turn them off, it's twenty loving dollars

Apr 7, 2003

I bought a 2nd gen kindle oasis to replace the 2015 Voyage I had and jfc, the battery life on the new Oasis is worse than the battery life on the four year old Oasis. Very cool

Apr 7, 2003

RichterIX posted:

Yeah I moved from a Paperwhite 2 to an Oasis 3 and I miss not having to charge for like a month. I still get like a week though so it's not really that bad I guess.

I've sat in my office chair at night reading after the lights were off (so the night light function was on) and watched the battery go from 98% to 89% over the course of an hour. Extremely not kindle.

Apr 7, 2003

Another thing I've noticed is that when I'm under strong sunlight, the Oasis 2 decides sometimes to set the light to maximum, and other times to (properly) turn it off. What makes the difference? Who knows!

Apr 7, 2003

RichterIX posted:

Do you have the wifi on or have it set to do a full refresh per page? It's annoying to turn the wifi on and off when I need it but it greatly extended my battery life.

Wifi was on because I like goodreads to sync, full refresh is always off.

One weird thing is that when I was sitting in the sunny lobby at my building, I was manually turning the light off. When I was in my office at night sitting by the window reading that same day, the light started off bearable and would turn itself off within thirty seconds. looked like a hosed up attempt to learn what levels I liked to read at.

Apr 7, 2003

im on the net me boys posted:

It's not fully functional yet, but there's a new project for an eReader that's open down to the very hardware. It looks promising, and as someone who can't afford to import bq's open source eReader I'm excited. Check it out here.

Not sure what the purpose of this is. Is it to avoid copyright fuckery?

I've got a Kindle Oasis and I just pirate every single author I want to read who's dead. No one deserves to live off their parents forever.

Apr 7, 2003

Amazon's Oasis cases are complete poo poo that negate the point of the bulge to begin with, especially since I hold my poo poo in my left hand.

I got a third party silicone case that lets the bulge bulge, but there's no screen cover so I worry about throwing it in my bag.

Kinda miss my Voyage at this point.

Apr 7, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

I bought this one and it’s damned good, once they got the magnets right for the current version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FD3TKDC/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can’t imagine going back to the Paperwhite or the Voyage now. I rotate hands frequently and use the buttons all the time.

Thanks, ordered that. Will let you know what I think later. It's incredible how quick people here pick up on better than official poo poo.

Apr 7, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

Crap, I just realized I used my old link with my order which used the 9th Gen of Oasis. If you have the new Oasis, you want this:

https://www.amazon.com/Ayotu-Feeling-10th-2019-Waterproof/dp/B07W1NVK5H?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Cancel that order if you can. The old one fits fine, but it will not put it to sleep (again, assuming you have the newest Oasis like I do).

I have a previous gen, came and fits fine and works in all respects. Thanks!

Apr 7, 2003

LionArcher posted:

Any rumors on a new oasis, because I’m kind of tempted to get one, but I’m waiting for one that has USB-C.

How does USB-C tangibly improve the product?

I've seen this statement given for not buying something in the past and it's honestly baffling.

Apr 7, 2003

sourdough posted:

Looks like the newest Paperwhite has a decently higher resolution display than that Pocketbook thing, fwiw. It looks like there are some tangible downsides to getting epub support.

When did Kindles stop supporting ePub? I've been using Calibre to send ePubs to my Kindles for years but I don't recall if I've used that function since I got my Oasis.

Apr 7, 2003

Wow! Thanks Calibre!

e: Is there any disadvantage to using Calibre to do that conversion? ie, is a lack of native ePub support really a reason to avoid using a Kindle really a problem if the conversion process is effective and you don't lose anything in the process?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 4, 2020

Apr 7, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

There's a Calibre tab called "Polish Books" that will add soft hyphens to AZW3. Is that what you're after?

I can’t read Polish, is there an English version of this plugin?

Apr 7, 2003

I bought a 2018 Kindle Oasis last July during the fire sale leading up to the new warm light version and the battery life is absolutely atrocious already. Unplugged it last night, read for two hours, was down to 87%.

Coming from a Voyage that had a great battery life it's disappointing.

Apr 7, 2003

I keep the wifi on, should probably turn that off when I'm not using it. Otherwise the same, I usually read in a pretty dim room before bed.

Apr 7, 2003

The Oasis is absolutely worth it, but if you want to spend a couple less bucks and don't care about a waterproof device Amazon has refurb Voyage sales occasionally for $140 or less. Both have physical buttons, and Kindles aren't devices you throw away after two years which helps to justify the price.

Apr 7, 2003

i got an Oasis new for like $80 when they were clearing out the second generation stock and I had some cash back to spend, best value I've ever bought on Amazon.

Apr 7, 2003

It's pretty wild to me that so many people are so upset about how their eReader charges that they're buying "because of" or "in spite of" USB 3.

It's a plug. It does not affect your reading experience.

I have a Sennheiser headset that explicitly chose micro-USB over USB 3 because they felt that the positive plug grip was a benefit. Y'all are worried about dumb poo poo.

I'd buy a 7" Kindle Voyage if it charged via a 220V plug. It'd be worth it for the reading experience.

Apr 7, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

Other than my Kindle, I have nothing that charges via micro-USB that I would take with me on a trip. That Kindle is the only thing that still uses a micro-USB cable so I have then bring a cable for one purpose.

You plug it in once a month

what a sacrifice

Apr 7, 2003

I think we can all agree that choosing an eReader based on how you charge the battery once a month is silly as hell, and that the reading experience and how you put that reading experience on the device is far more important.

Apr 7, 2003

Higher resolution and an improved backlight help you read, as the upgrades to eInk Pearl and the changes to the Oasis and the Paperwhite have proven.

A new plug doesn't help you read.

Apr 7, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

a USB-C port for longer life

This is a weird assertion with no actual facts to back it up.

A USB-C port will not improve your reading experience in any way.

An eReader is a device meant for reading, not for charging competitions.

e: I'm fuckin boggled, when did usb-c = better device enter this thread's zeitgeist?

Apr 7, 2003

There's some serious loving brain damage going on in this thread when the conversation isn't about poo poo like new eInk technology but is instead centered around what plug you charge your poo poo with.

Just saying.

We're on the verge of color eInk and the Oasis is the best reader you can buy regardless of how you charge it.

Get with the program.

Apr 7, 2003

sigher posted:

Micro USB is actually frowned upon most electronics enthusiasts (Linus hates it) because they're notorious for being weak and ports getting lose. I've had several cables bend and break over time and currently have a wireless guitar system which the base system uses Micro USB for power and it's already lose and it only has gotten moved several times when I've moved homes or rearranged things.

It's just an electronics thing, it's nice not needing proprietary cables for a single device to keep it charged; things have moved on from Micro USB and USB-C is the standard now, there's literally no reason to not use it.

Y'all have brain issues if this is what you care about.

See my previous post.

Who cares how the gently caress you charge it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Apr 7, 2003

The year is 2026. Human civilization has fallen. Armed city-states hold sway. Six members of the Something Awful Forums refuse to upgrade to Hyper Color Mega eReaders because they use Micro USB chargers.

Apr 7, 2003

How your eReader charges is completely irrelevant to the performance of your eReader and I'm flabbergasted that anyone gives a gently caress about whether it's USB 3, USB A, or a stick with a battery attached.

It's bizarre as gently caress that this is the most important thing to so many people.

The entire point of an eReader is that you don't have to charge it that often. It's a reading appliance.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 4, 2020

Apr 7, 2003

sigher posted:

No one, not a single person in this thread or on the whole planet, said that the performance of the charging port effects the way that they read, enjoy reading or improves the performance of their device.

Rand Brittain posted:

a genuine improvement would be a USB-C port for longer life

Apr 7, 2003

A USB-C port will not improve your e-reader. Quit basing your upgrade criteria on one.

Apr 7, 2003

Maybe y'all need a hobby between upgrade cycles, since reading clearly isn't your thing. I suggest cycling. It's helped me stay in shape when I don't feel like reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

e: get the micro usb vs usb-c thing now

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 4, 2020