Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
This is going to be another example of people on SA thinking that what's easy and intuitive for them is just as easy and intuitive for other people.

The vast majority of people do not want to fiddle around with poo poo like this. SA users are not the vast majority of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
How easy is it on a Kindle to jump to middle sections of the book? Do books have tables of contents that either allow you to go directly to that chapter/section, or at least have a location number you can input?

Like, if I have a large book of essays or stories or something, do I have to flip through it or can I choose where to jump to somehow?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

vkeios posted:

They do have tables of contents with direct links. I believe Amazon actually requires it.

Also you can use the arrow keys to skip to the next chapter.

Oh, that's awesome and exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Woah, weird, 9 minute lapse double post. Dunno how that happened.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
My wife's trying to get me a Kindle for Christmas. We're in Japan right now so she apparently has to order the version labeled International on the website. It claims it won't ship for 7-9 weeks. Does anyone know if that's accurate? Seems pretty ridiculous since it's just the same as the regular Kindle, isn't it?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

fishmech posted:

There's no special International version now. There was an International Kindle 2 which was the later model of the Kindle 2 though. You should try having someone in the US order to a US address, since there is no delay here, and then have it shipped to you.

I know the two are the same, but Amazon's website redirects anyone shipping internationally to some special international version order page. I was just wondering if it would seriously take 7-9 weeks just to ship.

It seems like they have two piles of the same product but the international pile is empty.

Edit: Guess she shoulda ordered sooner. Oh well, what's another month? :smith:

z0331 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 3, 2010

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

The Aphasian posted:

Roll them dice for Kindle screensavers.

Also, the only good arguments for paper books (or color ebook readers):

What is it with Penguin and amazing book covers?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Doctor Zero posted:

Is there a way to buy foreign language eBooks for devices we have here in the US? I'd love to get an eBook reader for my wife for Christmas since she reads voraciously, but I'm not sure if there would be a way to buy books in Japanese.

The catch is that there'd have to be a decent selection - she reads mostly horror, mystery, and suspense - and she reads like 5-10 books a week when she can get them. The ideal situation would be getting a kindle here and buy Japanese ebooks from amazon.jp. Is that possible?

Japan doesn't really do ebooks yet. As others have mentioned - though maybe it was in a different thread - Japanese publishing companies are even more scared of and reluctant to change than western ones.

It's stupid, too, because for a culture so obsessed with new toys and technology, and that reads so drat much, ebooks would probably be an absolutely massive market over here.

You might have better luck with manga, but then you'd be better off getting something like an iPad.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
So, just to clarify for the millionth time cause I'm dumb - If I get any epub file, Calibre will be able to convert it to whatever format Kindle uses no problem and I can read it? I'm just talking basic books like if I wanted to buy something off another site. Is that correct? Any Google Books document or anything from a third party, Calibre can handle?

I doubt I'll be doing much other than Amazon or Gutenburg, but I just want to know, in the event of getting something from elsewhere, I will probably be able to read it so long as I use Calibre.

Edit: Also, were Amazon to, for whatever reason, decide to support epub, could they handle it through a simple software update?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Could be. On the other hand, Amazon and amateur romance novels -- yeesh. Don't ever browse the Kindle store for free books.

Well, unless you're looking for romance novels, then you've hit the jackpot.

I actually heard a reason for why romance novels have exploded on the ebook market and it's that people don't have to worry anymore about being embarrassed by showing the cover in public.

Of course that might mean sci-fi and fantasy books are experiencing a boom also, though I'm not sure nerds have as much shame about these things...

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Turnquiet posted:

For those with the rebooting non-lit leather Kindle cases, ring up Amazon. I called and explained that my case was causing reboots, and they refunded the cost, let me keep the old one, and gave me 100% off a lit replacement. I didn't negotiate or anything, they started throwing stuff at me. Amazing customer service.

Now I have a lit one in the mail, $34.99 in my pocket, and will be modifying my old non-lit one by trimming some of the length off of the clip. If it keeps it from rebooting, I will gift it to my sister who just picked up a Kindle.

Now I'm kind of hoping that, when it arrives, my case malfunctions...

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Is it just me or is Lendler a really difficult word to say?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
My month old Kindle seems to no longer connect to the 3G network.

I'm in Japan and it worked just fine for the first few weeks, but for the past few days it won't connect - it just leaves the network strength bars grayed-out.

I have the non-lighted case which I know has caused people problems. I had one random reboot so far so I thought maybe that was it, but I've restarted my Kindle after taking it out of the case and still nothing.

Has anyone else had issues like this?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Cray posted:

Try going to the settings page and typing 311 (that is, alt+e, alt+q, alt+q or whatever). It will display a list of available 3G networks. Try selecting them one by one until you find one that works.

By default it's set to "choose automatically", which doesn't work for me at all (in Europe). If you can't connect to anything then it might be a problem with the device.

I was in the process of doing this and then suddenly it connected. :confused:

Guess maybe signal is just weak around here. Thanks for the tip, though. I probably should read the manual more thoroughly.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I'm visiting home in a few weeks and had the idea of looking up the town library to see if they offered e-books. It's a pretty small but nice library and I found out that not only do they have e-books for download (although a pretty small selection) but they actually have e-book readers available for loan which I thought was pretty cool. They seem to have around 3 each of Kindle, Sony Touch, and Nook. They come pre-loaded with some books (most of which seem pretty lame but oh well).

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Ara posted:

Do you have to put down collateral for them? Because from the stories I've heard about library patrons from my librarian friend, that doesn't sound like something that would end well at all. Or can you not take them out of the library?

I'm not sure but probably not. It does seem kind of crazy to me since I'd be nervous lending my Kindle to anyone let alone random strangers.

But as long as the results have been favorable and they don't mind replacing the ocassional e-reader I think it's a great idea and was honestly surprised my little hometown library was doing it.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Apparently Google is working with iRiver to make the next iRiver Story fully integrated with Google Books.

If Google Books become much bigger than it currently is I can see that being kind of cool but right now I don't see it being much of a reason to pick up the iRiver over a Kindle or Nook.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Mu Zeta posted:

I used to have an iRiver mp3CD player. That was like 10 years ago, crap. What have they been doing all these years?

I had that same player I bet. It was pretty awesome.

They came out with some media player that included a screen and could play movies before the iPod Touch came out that I really wanted. Luckily I never got it, though.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Earlier there was some discussion about e-readers in Japan.

Panasonic is releasing a new e-reader specifically for the Japanese market and to be paired with online retail giant Rakuten for the content.

It really just looks like a tablet, though the article claims they're going to try to restrict any attempts to break it and load on apps. It's also pretty drat expensive.

Overall it seems a lot worse as an e-reader device than the Sony ones which are already available but seem to lack any good amount of available e-books. Mostly it just looks like they made a neutered tablet that won't be particularly good at any of its functions. The only reason I can see anyone bothering with this over the iPad is if Rakuten's e-book library is good.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Sporadic posted:

In some really surprising news, Amazon announced they are adding the Harry Potter books to the Kindle Lending Library.

I bet they paid out the rear end for those.

What does Amazon get out of an arrangement like that? Are they hoping enough people borrow it...and then buy it? Or that they'll like Amazon more for it and buy more stuff?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I feel like the benefits of an e-reader are pretty plain. If you don't care about the things e-readers are good at, then, well, there's no particular reason to have an e-reader.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I guess e-ink technology has at least a little more incremental improvement left in it.

New Kobo HD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Drunk Tomato posted:

Maybe this means a glorious comeback for the small indie bookstore?

(Hint: nope.)

From a couple pages ago, but I read this a few weeks ago.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2013/0317/The-novel-resurgence-of-independent-bookstores