Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

I think Feedbooks deserves to be in the OP. Tons of public domain books much more nicely formatted than Gutenberg. You can go to it with the Kindle browser and download books directly. And in the first few pages of the book you downloaded, there are direct download links for every other book by that author on Feedbooks. Click one and it downloads. Really nice.

Also my favorite feature of Calibre that I didn't pay attention to for a while, the news downloads. Set one of the news sources to automatically download every day, and you'll not only get it on Calibre, but it's automatically mailed for free to your Kindle (not sure if other readers support this). I automatically have a new day's worth of The Onion, Associated Press, and New York Times top stories on my Kindle when I wake up every morning, and a couple more every Saturday morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

hatersg2haet posted:

The Kindle allows you to highlight text quite simply. While it's not touch highlighting (you use the arrows and the cursor clicking center once to start highlighting moving the cursor to the end of your highlight and clicking a second time.) in my opinion it's superior to Sony's highlighting. It syncs across platforms. It provides on the fly definitions from highlighted items, and it allows you to save those highlighted items into bulleted cliff notes for later use.

Yeah, I actually really like the Kindle's highlighting. If it's an Amazon-bought book, you can load up Kindle for PC and see and jump to all the bits you've highlighted on the Kindle.

Also, for the "limited newspapers" you can use Calibre to get free Associated Press stories automatically sent to your device every day. And from a lot of the actual papers as well, to the point where I don't think it would even be worth paying for the official ones. But then I live outside of the US so it costs a million billion dollars for them anyway. For newspapers, you click the center of the directional thing to bring up a table of contents with links to all the stories.

Ara fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 20, 2010

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Parkettpolitur posted:

How do I get it to do this? The Kindle App on my Mac isn't showing the Notes & Highlights I've made on my Kindle. I've already turned on Annotations Backup in the Kindle menu.

It was totally automatic for me, just right-click the book and "My Notes and Annotations". Try deleting and re-downloading the book?

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

For Japanese books: I don't know if this was around before (I sure didn't notice it and the guy who posted the site in the other thread sure didn't notice it), but the Aozora Bunko PDF conversion thing now has a tool where you can enter your own text and it will make it a vertically-formatted PDF, rather than only working for Aozora stuff. Even works with ruby!

http://a2k.aill.org/text.html

Now to wait for an XMDF converter. And for all the big publishing houses to start selling ebooks :eng99:

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Parkettpolitur posted:

Weird, now some of my notes are showing up in the Kindle apps on my iPhone and iPad, but only some. Maybe I should just leave the Kindle's Wifi on a bit longer, so it can sync everything?

I never turn mine off, and the only people who ever posted in the last thread with syncing problems of any kind were ones who turned their wireless off when not using it, so it's probably that.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Calibre problem: For a couple months now I've had Calibre auto-downloading and mailing news to my Kindle and it's never had a problem. For the last 3 days or so (maybe after a patch?), I hadn't been getting anything delivered to me, so I checked my mail account and it's suddenly switched to sending all my news in epub format instead of mobi, so they all get rejected. I can't find an option to change the file format of downloaded news anywhere. Help :saddowns:

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Oben posted:

Go to Preferences/Sharing books by email, and change the Formats bit (double click it) to only say MOBI

Thanks, I thought that that might be it, but it's not actually clear that that's what's created, only what is auto-emailed.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

movax posted:

Argh, I was afraid of what you guys said about PDF viewage. I do have academic papers I'd like to be able to view, as well as just general classroom materials (lecture notes and stuff).

Anything without images, just use Calibre to convert it to a mobi/epub file.

withak posted:

It can convert any ebook format to any other ebook format.

Not XMDF :smith:

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

brylcreem posted:

Use kindle-feedback@amazon.com - I sent in the location numbers, and I got a $5 gift certificate once. The second time I did it, I got nothing. YMMV

You ever re-download the book later to see whether they fixed it? I never bother because I doubt it'd ever get changed.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm kinda sorta thinking about a Kindle, but for one specific purpose: to replace the mountains of PDFs of articles I keep printing out for class, for reading in places that I don't take my laptop. How well would that work out? Also concerning heavy use of highlighting.

People say PDF support is bad, but does that mean PDFs with graphics and stuff, or do boring, plain text PDFs also have trouble?

Text-only should be fine. Load one of your PDFs in Calibre, right click it and convert it to a mobi file, then use Calibre to view the mobi file. That's what it will look like on the Kindle.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

pienipple posted:

pretty good. anything with strong linework looks great. artists who use a lot of ~whispy pencils~ and typesetters that make the asides too small to read are an annoyance.

k2 and k3 will read cbzs tossed in the pictures folder, but doesn't always refresh the screen properly. i find it the most convenient to use a program called canti you can find on the mobile read forums. it uses image magic to batch process folders or archives and optimize them for your device. ive been using the pdf output to dodge the partial refresh problem of reading straight from the archives and the pages randomly out of order problem mangle viewer gives me.

I just tried Canti and it's a lot worse for me than Mangle is. Since there's a progress bar at the bottom of the PDF, everything is scrunched up and the image quality is noticeably worse.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

gmq posted:

Are you absolutely sure about this? Do you have a source?
I really want a Kindle and getting it during 2010 would be ideal.

EDIT: Apparently US/Canada and European/International Kindles have different serial numbers depending of what SIM they use.

I ordered my Kindle in Japan from Amazon US at launch. There was no special international version. It was just the Kindle 3, shipped to Japan. This could have changed, but I have no idea why it would have.

fake edit: Guess they've changed it. I tried the exact same checkout process I used and it spits out an error for my shipping address and links me to the "international Kindle" page. Guess you should have ordered sooner!

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

So in short, Kindle owners are pretty much assed out for using Google eBooks?

Why no ePub Amazon? :negative:

It's trivial to break the DRM and convert it to a mobi file.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

Archos is determined to have the worst naming convention in the history of technology, creates "70b eReader"

Sorry, Bookeen Cybook is by far the worst. Every time I see it written I think it says "Broken Cybook." Somebody in this thread posted "I have a bookeen cybook" and I seriously thought "No wonder it's broken, I've never even heard of the thing" before re-reading it.

edit: Jesus, that thing needs a pinhole button press for a hardware restart. My piece of poo poo generic ebook reader just froze up on the subway, let me dig out a paperclip

Ara fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 7, 2010

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Is there a way to buy foreign language eBooks for devices we have here in the US? I'd love to get an eBook reader for my wife for Christmas since she reads voraciously, but I'm not sure if there would be a way to buy books in Japanese.

The catch is that there'd have to be a decent selection - she reads mostly horror, mystery, and suspense - and she reads like 5-10 books a week when she can get them. The ideal situation would be getting a kindle here and buy Japanese ebooks from amazon.jp. Is that possible?
Like the other guy said, the few ebooks that ARE available from Japanese publishers are sold as XMDF files which currently can't be converted to real ebook formats and can only be read with (as far as I know) one or two Windows programs. The pages where they sell them all say that they require Windows.

You can get a lot of old stuff at 青空文庫, and if you want those in 縦書き then you can convert them to a Kindle-formatted PDF with this page. That page also has a tool where you paste in your own text, so if you can actually find Japanese ebooks in a convertible format somewhere then you can use that to read them vertically. Works with furigana, too.

But yeah, the major problem is actually finding the books. It really is a shame.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

z0331 posted:

So, just to clarify for the millionth time cause I'm dumb - If I get any epub file, Calibre will be able to convert it to whatever format Kindle uses no problem and I can read it? I'm just talking basic books like if I wanted to buy something off another site. Is that correct? Any Google Books document or anything from a third party, Calibre can handle?

I doubt I'll be doing much other than Amazon or Gutenburg, but I just want to know, in the event of getting something from elsewhere, I will probably be able to read it so long as I use Calibre.

Edit: Also, were Amazon to, for whatever reason, decide to support epub, could they handle it through a simple software update?

There's no problem at all, this argument about epub is stupid and misleading. Buy the epub, strip the DRM, convert it in Calibre, right click and mail it to your Kindle, read it on your Kindle. Who the hell cares?

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

oldy posted:

My Kindle 3 does this annoying thing where when I'm browsing the Kindle Store, maybe 50% of the time I click a link or make a search, it just goes back to the Store start page instead. I press back to get where I was, and it generally works if I try again, but it's really annoying.

Anyone else having this issue?

Just to make sure, you're clicking the middle of the directional pad to click links, not using the return key, right? The return key refreshes the page in some situations.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

oldy posted:

...haha, no, I've mostly been using the return key. What situations? (I'm going to look it up now as well)

I'm honestly not sure when it refreshes. I think it might be when the current page hasn't completely loaded yet.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've been looking at a few reviews of these cases - there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in the protection they offer. Looks more like a matter of personal preference than anything else. God I'm so indecisive.

I really, really love my official leather case with light. If someone kidnapped it I would probably pay the ransom and then spend the night comforting it. Just saying, those sleeve-style cases seem like a huge pain in the rear end in comparison.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Bean posted:

I may have an iPad or a Nook in the future, because the ITunes store and the B&N store appeal to me most.

Don't buy an ipad to read books :eng99:

Buy an ipad if you want an ipad, but buying it to read books is the dumbest thing. Buying it because you specifically want to buy books from the Apple store which is inferior to other stores is taking it to a whole new level. It's giant and covered in glass and weighs a million pounds. Plus it costs like five or six times what an ebook reader does. If you want it to play flash games or read color comics or something then okay, but I can't imagine anyone seriously buying it so that they can have access to the fantastic Apple ebook store and read books on it.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

LtStorm posted:

Just got the Wi-fi+3G Nook for Christmas.

Now to figure out how to get free news and blog feeds on it.

Oddly, every Wal-Mart in North Mississippi appeared to have the Wi-Fi Nook and Nook Color two days before Christmas, but it took some doing to find the 3G one.

That's because nobody in Mississippi has wi-fi networks. Or computers. Or electricity. Or shoes.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

At least with the Kindle 2, I think the top latch on the leather case slides down and then the Kindle sort of pivots on the bottom latch and you can unhook it.

Yeah, you just do the exact opposite of putting it INTO the case.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Fitret posted:

Got a Kindle for Christmas and I'm loving it so far. What I'd really like to be able to do is read books in Japanese on the Kindle and then lookup words that I don't know (translation into English would be best, into Japanese would be okay). Is there any way to do this with a Kindle?

As far as I know there isn't a Japanese dictionary, and good luck finding much of anything in a readable format in Japanese in the first place. If you actually do manage to find what you want to read in a convertible format (not XMDF goddammit), you can use this thing to make a 縦書き PDF, at least. It's obviously set up for 青空文庫, but you can enter your own text as well.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Centipeed posted:

I imagine a state similar to a laptop being in standby, but now that I consider it, it's no faster to turn on when the screen-saver is up than when you switch it off completely.

Wait... what? When it's completely off, it takes more than a minute to boot up. When the screensaver is up, it should take less than 5 seconds.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Centipeed posted:

Just for clarity, when I say "Screen-saver" I mean I slide the power switch briefly, and it puts up a random image as a screen-saver.

When I say "off", I mean I hold the power switch to the right for about 5-10 seconds until the screen goes blank.

When I slide the power switch to the right from either of these states, my Kindle only takes 2 seconds at the maximum to bring up the book I was last reading. I just tested it.

Is what I'm doing to turn it off completely not actually turning it off completely?

Yeah, to shut it completely off you need to hold it down for a long time, it's pretty finicky. I only know because I've had to shut it down when the browser's frozen it up. When it starts up from a complete shutdown, you get a loading screen while it boots up.

I think you can also shut it down from the menu in settings, there's a restart option in there at least.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Factory Ten posted:

A couple of times now, my Kindle seems to have "reset" itself. Which is fine. I'm at the main menu with all my books there. The problem is that I've lost my bookmark on what I've been reading. I have to flip through dozens of pages to find where I left off.

Is there a way that I can just click on "Last Read Page" for each book?

It should remember automatically, there is a "go to last read page" for Amazon-bought books though. The only people who have complained about this happening in the threads are people who keep their wireless turned off, so if that's the case then just turn your wireless on.

edit: Or if you mean it physically restarted then you probably have one of those defective cases, yeah.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Sensurround posted:

Can someone give me a rundown on the real difference the 3G upgrade adds for the new kindle? Are you only able to use it to purchase books through the kindle store or can you use the web browser on 3G to check google maps / wikipedia / whatever? I'm struggling to see how the extra $50 would be justifiable for just the ability to get to the store but I can't find any solid info on this.

Depending on your country (most major countries have full access as far as I know, it works here in Japan), you have unrestricted browser access. You can use Google Maps, but the shades of grey can make the map a little hard to read. It works, but I've only used it when I've really been in a pinch. Wikipedia is an automatic search option, you can start typing while reading a book, scroll over to the Wikipedia option, and it will open your browser and search for whatever you typed on Wikipedia. It also works fine with GMail. I use the browser almost exclusively for Anki Online, which works fantastically with it. The countries who don't have unrestricted access, only Wikipedia and the store are supposed to work.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Trench_Rat posted:

As a filthy unwashed non 'MURRIKAN can I somehow "aquire" the amazon kindle and still be able to buy books of the kindle store. or will my ip be cock blocked like hulu does?

I think it's down to your payment method. I'm in Japan with an American credit card and can buy everything at normal prices. It's been reported that if you live in a country whose Amazon page doesn't have Kindle books (so outside the US and UK) and use a credit card from that country, then you buy from the American store with an extra dollar or two added onto the price of books as an "international roaming fee" whether you have 3G or not. I got the thing shipped to me here, so they probably ship it everywhere.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Apologies if this is asked all the time, but I know there are ways to let other family members view your kindle books on their kindle. I've had mine for over a year now & have hundreds of books on it, and my nephew just got a new kindle; how do I let him view my books?

Pretty sure you can link multiple Kindles to the same account, but he'd be able to buy books with your credit card.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Out of curiosity, what's your method of checking email? I use Gmail and always assumed gmail.com would be too obnoxious for the Kindle. Same with maps actually.

Gmail basic HTML version works fine and it remembers that setting after the first time.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Tutu posted:

That looks like it would work because it uses paypal, thanks. It says that their mobi books are unlikely to work with the kindle though... so just buy it in epub or something and convert it to mobi?

The epub is an Adobe Digital Editions, so if you can break the DRM on that then you can convert it in Calibre. Are you buying that because the movie just came out? I'm going to see it this week, pretty stoked for it.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

FidgetyRat posted:

Probably because everyone and their mother is downloading it post holdiay gifting..

That and at least the OS-X version of Calibre is a whipping 200MB application!?! Don't ask me how that worked out considering what the app is.

The Windows version is a pig, too, but not that big. But the install file for every version is ~30 megs, don't know if every file is that big for the Mac. The thing grinds my computer to a halt with my hard drive going crazy for a good minute when starting up, and if it starts auto-downloading and converting news while I'm playing a game, my whole computer just about dies.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

El Hefe posted:

it doesn't overheat?

Have you ever used a Kindle? I'm sure it generates some amount of heat, but it's such a small amount that you'd probably need a special device to detect it.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

frozenpeas posted:

How do I know which version of the Kindle Screensaver hack I should apply?

The wiki link in the OP says that I should check the serial number, but my kindle has no serial number in the place indicated in the photos.

I bought the international 3G version for Korea, if that's any help.

I spent the afternoon modifying pics into kindle wallpapers btw, so I'll upload a huge bunch of them for you guys later.

The Kindle 3's serial is in the settings menu somewhere. You might have to go to settings and then go to the menu again from there.

Guilty posted:

I know I sound like a huge baby but I really wish Calibre would figure out an auto-update system if they're going to update their stupid loving program every week
It's got to check the disk space bro

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

BetaTested posted:

This makes me pretty sad :

Click here for the full 940x501 image.

I mean, it's right there. How were there no results for it? And why are you listing me stuff that isn't an eBook?

That's total bullshit, I just looked up a couple books and they don't have War and Piece or The Holy Bibble either

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

thedouche posted:

What is the best case for the Kindle 3?

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted-Leather-Display-Generation/dp/B003DZ165W

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Lamquin posted:

I've read up a bit about different eReaders, but it keeps coming back to one thing with them all - Shopping restrictions.

I am living in Sweden, which means I don't have access to the entire catalogues from Amazon/Fictionwise/Everything due to "Geographic Restrictions".
Swedish bookstores themselves have been very slow at adapting the e-book format, with the biggest distributor here having a mere ~2000 titles available.

My first reaction upon finding out about these restrictions was minor dismay (not having full access to a bookshop feels crippling), but I figure there is no harm in asking about this.
STEAM, a popular Direct Download service for PC-games has similar restrictions for different countries. This restriction can be side-stepped by having a friend in the US send the game as a gift. Is this possible with eBooks?

Regardless, that is not that huge of a deal breaker. Worst case I will simply keep buying the paperbacks on the books I cannot buy digitally.
Amazon seems to be the biggest and best bet for getting books internationally, which means I will get a Kindle. Any users in Europe have experience using it?

Kindle does have a gifting system like Steam. You can also get Amazon gift cards registered to your account and use the credit to buy books. I've had no problem using one bought in the US from Asia, but I also have a US credit card and an Amazon account with my country set as the US. If you have US friends and it works, that might be the easiest thing to do. They sell Amazon gift cards in stores like Target.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

njbeachbum posted:

I have a kindle and my wife was sharing it. She put some books on there that she is still reading. She received a kindle as a gift. Is there anyway to transfer the books to her kindle or does she have to re-purchase them?

You can link both of the Kindles to the same account and share all of your books all the time, unless I'm mistaken.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

El Hefe posted:

You are gonna have to change the country to Netherlands in the Manage Your Kindle webpage, I had it set to US while leaving in Venezuela and I got an email from Amazon after I bought a few books. They mostly care about publishing rights and some books are not available everywhere. Delivery it's still free.

This isn't necessarily true. I've never used my US Kindle outside of Japan (had it since August or whenever it was released), my country is still registered as the US, and they've never done anything about it. I'm using a US credit card to pay, though (which is great because the USD is terrible).

edit: And to answer the actual question, there are no extra fees if it's set to US except on periodicals and personal document conversion, which you get destroyed on. Just set the maximum charge to $0 in your settings and don't get the official periodicals.

If you set it to another country, they tack a couple dollars onto book prices to cover "roaming fees", even if you don't have 3G.

Ara fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Original_Z posted:

I occasionally have issues with my Kindle's refresh rate. It seems that most of the time it's really fast to change pages, but every once in awhile it slows down to a noticeable degree. Sometimes it's a little slower which is bearable, but othertimes it's significantly slower, like over a full second to refresh. It seems to fix itself after awhile, but I'm wondering what's causing it in the first place.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think it refreshes more slowly when it's really cold. I don't think I've ever had a refresh that was over a full second, though.