Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I've heard a lot of good reports about Amazon's customer service, but just wanted to share one of my own.

Today I pulled my Kindle's power/USB cord out from its usual storage spot to find that the covering was cracked and flaking off at both ends. I have no idea what caused this. The cord almost always lives right next to my computer, and it seemed fine when I put it away two days ago. A quick search showed me other people complaining about having the same thing happen to them, so I emailed customer service and explained the problem.

My Kindle is more than six months out of warranty, so I was hoping that, at best, I could get a discount on a replacement. Two hours later, I got a message saying that if I ordered a new cable and sent them the order number, they'd refund the whole thing, including the shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I like to read fluff, but there's still often a large quality difference between self-published genre fluff and the books that have gone through a traditional editing and publishing process.

Reviews aren't reliable to me unless they're from reviewers that I follow regularly and trust. I've come across too many obvious sockpuppet reviews or sites where self-published authors are openly pushing review or recommendation chains for promoting their work. Even the legit reviews are probably going to be from people who have different taste than I do.

The limiting factor on my reading tends to be time rather than money. If a bestselling e-book costs more than I want to pay then I get it from the library instead, but I'd still rather pay more for a smoother reading experience. And considering how long my to-read list is, there's no reason for me to waste time separating the few reasonably-priced self-published gems from the massive pile of cheap poo poo that's not worth it at any price.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I'm a heavy Goodreads user already. It's the main reason my to-read list is as long as it is, but thanks for the suggestion.

It's great if you find value or entertainment in them, but I really did try to give self-published books a fair shake at one time and my experience was that 90% of them were eye-bleedingly awful. Maybe that makes me too picky, but spending more time with reviews and samples isn't going to change my mind when there's so much else available.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I got a Kindle Touch and lighted cover for Christmas and I need case advice.

I love the integrated booklight, which means that I don't want to swap cases entirely. But the front flap of the new case is thin and doesn't seem nearly as protective as my old Kindle 2 cover, so I want something sturdier for travel. Has anyone heard of a sleeve that the lighted cover will definitely fit in? The lighted cover adds almost no bulk, but some of the sleeves seem fairly tight and I don't want to buy and return several styles.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

low-key-taco posted:

I bought this sleeve for my touch which isn't incredibly tight. and is working well for me for a cheap case for transporting around only. I've never seen the lighted cover so I dunno how much bulk that adds. The cost of the thing seems completely bananas.

Thanks, that's one of the ones I was looking at. I have one of their bags and it's really good quality. As long as the sleeve isn't super-tight then it's probably worth trying.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Vampire Diaries started in 90 or 91, I read them back in junior high. I feel bad for her, and I can't imagine how much that must have hurt. It's a little more complicated than the recent blog post that I read made it sound, though.

Something happened with her in the late 90s, there were rumors that it was a medical issue but I don't know that for sure. She stopped writing, though. She was one book away from completing a different, in-progress series at the time. Many years later, there was still a decent amount of fan interest in that last, unfinished book. There were some fansites, and people on message boards would occasionally claim to have exchanged emails with the author and have news about upcoming books. Eventually she started up a website telling everyone she wanted to be known as "Ljane" now and that there was going to be a show and new Vampire Diaries books.

Her new trilogy, the first thing she published after a ten year hiatus from writing, was really loving terrible. I can't emphasize enough how dire the books were. They read like she was doing anime-influenced fanfic parodies of her own stuff. A lot of the fans were really upset. It didn't help that she did some interviews where she talked about potential plots for her other old series novels, and those ideas were also very, very bad.

I'm certainly not trying to say that some combination of flakiness and bad writing means that she deserved to have her story taken away. If her publishers thought they weren't getting what they wanted it would have been much kinder to just let the main series go and focus on those spinoff books for the show that they've been doing. It's lovely that she didn't understand the details of that contract she signed way back when. But the first ghostwritten book, published last year, was actually a much closer match to the original tone and style of series than her own recent stuff. The whole thing is just really sad.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Bhodi posted:

Which is, basically, why I bought a nook in the first place.

Yes, because BN would never throw their weight around and participate in ebook-related drama.

http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2011/10/07/sparks-fly-among-dc-comics-kindle-fire-and-bn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

MrBond posted:

Not amazon doing the same thing with way more books? I'm thinking physical books here.

The spread of Barnes & Noble put a lot of independent bookstores out of business back in the 90s, before Amazon was really a big thing. It's been interesting to hear them complain about competition considering how many locally-owned shops they shut down. Every single place I bought new books at during my junior high and high school years didn't last a year after BN moved into those areas, because everyone wanted those cheaper books.

It's hard for me to feel much sympathy now that they're being out-competed, especially because some of their recent strategies for raising their profits (for example, reducing their selection to dedicate more floor space to toys and games) make me even less likely to want to shop there.

deety fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 13, 2012