Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

dont eat a carb posted:

Apparently the Kindle editions of the GRRM books are not worth it, as rather than being produced from the original text, they are unedited OCR scans of the books (and as a result full of errors and bad formatting)

Blame the publisher for doing a shoddy job, blame Amazon for tolerating it.

I just finished Game of Thrones on the Kindle, and I didn't see any errors or anything, maybe its been updates since the reports of that issue. The only bad formating was the list of families and characters in the back of the book, there was a few errors there in indentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Just got the latest Paperwhite. I have an older one as well. I don't want to have to download all my books again, can I backup/copy the book from the old on onto my computer using Calbre, and copy them back over to the new one? Will that saving reading placement and all those things?

Is there a better way I'm not thinking of?

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

KaLogain posted:

Just got the latest Paperwhite. I have an older one as well. I don't want to have to download all my books again, can I backup/copy the book from the old on onto my computer using Calbre, and copy them back over to the new one? Will that saving reading placement and all those things?

Is there a better way I'm not thinking of?

I ended up just manually downloading each book from the new Kindle itself. I tried copy from Kindle to the other on the computer, but it did not seem to work very well, still acted like some books were not on the new Kindle.

I have almost 2000 books with some Comic Books and Coffee Table/Imagine intenstive books in there, so I had to pick and choose.

The UI is much faster on this new one. I did have to restart the new Kindle a bunch of times to get it to start downloading the books again.

Not too bad in the end.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Anyone know a way to completely reset a book on a Kindle, make it look like it hasn't been opened at all. I know you can reset the furthest page read, but that just makes it look like you looked at the first page even after you delete the book and redownload. Is there a way to completely reset it?