Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Since the thread's gone into retro-Kindle chat, I'll ask a question:

Is the last kindle to have audio really the K3/keyboard? My 3G keyboard model still works fine (though the screen is disappointing when compared to newer readers), but the idea of eventually upgrading to a new model which can't play taqsim or ambient music during reading sessions is a bummer. I appreciate that they put their focus into making lighter readers with better screens, but the least they could do is give a headphone jack or something. It'd feel pretty goony to manage two devices for reading in busier areas. Kindle users aren't all women on the beach or in a sunroom like in their ads, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Time for semiannual e-ink multipurpose tablet inquiry: it's still all pretty much junk for any use other than books and subsets of text docs, right?

With outdated OS versions and missing features like audio or Bluetooth or sufficient storage space? Nothing exciting or very useful besides maybe fancy stylus compatibility? Just curious.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

SB35 posted:

You could buy the Kindle as a gift so it's unregistered, make sure it's set to USA and sign in with your old account.

Following from this, I'm curious: what are the national or regional limits for things like shared family libraries in the Google and Amazon systems?

later-that-week-edit: those new Nook articles fail to mention the most important aspect: whether they're android and thus rootable by crazy follk

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 2, 2017

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Guilty posted:

This is literally the first time I've heard anyone say this and I've been using usb C devices for years, laptops, phones, Nintendo switch.

Benson Leung (iirc a Google engineer) actually kept a spreadsheet or records of professional testing and would post Amazon reviews. I think it was spurred by a bad usb-c charger rig killing a $2000 laptop.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
I got an Onyx BOOX Nova2, for use as both a multiplatform reader and general E-Ink Android. Their modern crop of offerings are 9/Pie based with decent specs for basic use (& run Google Play services or third party sources like F-Droid without trouble).

Just haven't seen much chat about this company's offerings in the thread, so any questions about the Nova2 or whatever features would extend to its other-size siblings are fair game. I'm still in the tinkering geek period with it, experimenting with Onyx's custom tweaks to the OS + UI on a per-app basis.

My only complaint is something known ahead of purchase, but still annoying: no headphone jack or speakers, so audio output must be via USB-c-OTG or Bluetooth/casting. It does have a basic integrated microphone, at least.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 10, 2020

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

lordfrikk posted:

That said, how is the build quality of the device compared to something like Kindle? I have old Touch (extremely well built IMO) and my partner has Paperwhite (don't like the surface finish but can't say anything bad about it's sturdiness).

I don't have any modern Kindles, but it's significantly larger and stronger than my old Kindle Keyboard 3G without any extra weight. Like the Kindle feels comparatively flimsy, no contest.

Screen touch on the Nova2 feels slightly slicker than the (non touch 3G keyboard) Kindle's, and frame touch is less tacky since it's straight plastic rather than the slightly grippy Kindle finish. Compared to phone/tablet glass, screen touch is much slicker. I don't have any reference device to compare it with the matte or etched glass used on some readers though, sorry.

Only buttons are the Power (slight jiggle on mine) and the Back/Home (feels and sounds great) whose function you assign. USB-C drops my concern about any port wear and clutter for home and travel.

UI stuff separate from build:
The navigation ball is extremely good-enough, though I initially had to put out all nine expansion slots during setup for some apps (24 function options for those 9 slots).

For tweaking normal apps into e-ink friendliness, there's a per-app settings option called App Optimization with three tabs:

Display (DPI, Emboldening, Contrast/Whitening*)
+ Contrast/Whitening sub-menu (Enhance Font Color, Contrast 0-100/System, Icon Color 0-255, Cover Color 0-255, Background Color 0-255)

Refresh (Mode, Frequency, Animation ms-Filter)

Other (Page Font Size, Page Font Color)
+ (toggles for CLOUD SYNC, RESET ALL)

The Contrast/Whitening sub-menu is where you'd go to work out any kinks you find in an app's theme compatibility.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
As long as you're cool with budget local-newspaper color quality, there'll be something comparable to B&W models of the same side with a $50 to $100 premium.

Onyx did Poke 2 color for $300, compared with their Poke 2 for $200. http://www.onyxbooxusa.com/onyx-boox-poke-color

It was a proof of concept as far as I know, but they used a color 100dpi layer which isn't wonderful compared to (same device) its monochrome 300dpi.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

WattsvilleBlues posted:

No devices going forward should have micro-USB connections. It's 2020! Also everything should have fast charging. And everything should cost 50% less.

Last two are optional I suppose.

I just wish there were an industry-standard pogo power connector.

Doesn't need to be turbocharger speed, or even capable of data transfer or anything, just a non-delicate dedicated power port with no wasteful inefficiency like wireless chargers.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
I've got a Nova 2 as well, and based on using this thing, I'd buy something from them in the future. Build quality easily exceeds that of the early Kindle/Nook devices, but I haven't compared to a recent e-ink Kindle. As long as you're realistic about expectations for e-ink, it's a great e-reader which can also serve as a basic utility tablet.

Their lineup now finally includes readers with built-in speakers instead of just USBc/BT audio, which solves my main peeve with the Nova 2. Minor peeve is that their pens do have full Wacom functionality, but their feel in the hand is way closer to the kind of cheaper stylus you'd find on a 1999-2012 period tablet or phone.

Note Air with its 10" screen, speakers, nicer pen, metal body & Android 10 actually looks really tempting even now, to be honest. If they'd announced that thing before summer, I'd have held off buying the Nova 2 and spent a bit more for a full-page reader.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Rand Brittain posted:

I would really want one of those devices except that they don't have enough storage for all my PDFs and aren't expandable.

Yeah, it's pretty silly that they'd be well-built and modern, but fall so short on storage.

They do at least offer USB-OTG across their modern lineup so you can swap out files and folders via flash drives when wireless transfers aren't feasible, but their specs do come across like they have something strangling their supply chain.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
My Deep Guide guy got a Nova 3 Color (Kaleido 2), and it looks like K2 is fine with front lights, but maybe won't be on par with standard e-ink in ambient light until K3.

It's too bad they've omitted the warm front lighting as well, but probably easier to calibrate against only one color light.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

It's just the nature of the technology. No matter how much you spend, e-ink will never be fast. This means that realistically the CPU only has to be fast enough to keep up with the display, so most readers optimize for battery life over performance.

I think that cell phone with the e-ink display on the back almost got it right, but it should have been a tablet. A device with a large enough e-ink display to read a PDF reasonably on one side and a decent OLED panel on the other side could be wonderful with the right software experience.

I think the only major global manufacturer to try that out has been Lenovo, with two concepts: one laptop with e-ink touch in lieu of keyboard, and one laptop with e-ink on the screen's reverse side. Both have been fairly limited in terms of not implementing a real independent function for the ink side, iirc more like a "cast-to-ink" or mirror than a full operating approach.

The Russian Yota and Chinese Hisense phones are a nice concept, but limited in utility and security for the rest of us Yeah, it's disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

RUM hack posted:

i'm deeply ignorant on ereaders so looking for a recommendation for something portable for use on the train/tube.

what i want to avoid is anything thats going to lock me into a particular shopfront eco system, and that will let me load from my exisiting calibre based library. apart from that not super picky. smallish, lightish, physical buttons i guess would be nice?

I like Boox quite a bit (owned a Nova3 and still use a Note3), and aside from whatever hesitation you'd get from their use of Android OS and its update track record, they definitely make at least a couple of devices you could enjoy.

If you don't like the stock reader, or have any reader apps you already like, you can run anything that works on Android via Play or F-Droid etc.