Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Why would you own an automatic 500?

why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Most Americans can't drive stick. It's that simple. This ain't the age of the debut of the Miata where people were learning stick to buy that car.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

echoplex posted:

why

masochism.

p.s. when the Abarth comes to America, any estimates on how much it will cost?

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 23, 2010

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

CornHolio posted:

masochism.

p.s. when the Abarth comes to America, any estimates on how much it will cost?

I'd say $21-22K. Hopefully they'll bring the SS Abarth and not the regular one, although 140hp in a car this small should still be a lot of fun.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

toaster_pastry posted:

I have heard nothing but great things about these cars and their technology. I will be ordering one in the specs below as soon as possible.

I want a 'Pop' engine. :v:

What is 'Pop' referring to anyway?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ziploc posted:

I want a 'Pop' engine. :v:

What is 'Pop' referring to anyway?

I couldn't find anything about the trim lines on that site. I know "microsite" is cool jargon if you are in online advertising, but there's too much microsite and that's what this is.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

echoplex posted:

why

why wouldn't it? why don't they have it in europe, anyway? i mean it's a cute slightly upscale commuter/city car, not a boxster. doesn't an auto make the most sense?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
My guess is that "Pop" is short for "Popular," since it seems to be the base trim. v:shobon:v

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

why wouldn't it? why don't they have it in europe, anyway? i mean it's a cute slightly upscale commuter/city car, not a boxster. doesn't an auto make the most sense?

Not with the shift programming that is typical in the last-gen crop of American cars. With cheap cars like this, Europeans expect to shift for themselves.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Europeans love their manual box cars. And so should the whole world :colbert:

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

If you can't drive a manual in city traffic you're a dumb baby.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I want a motherfucking Abarth so bad I'm considering breaking my current lease if they're as good as I think they will be.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
You'd really need a manual to wring the power out of such a small engine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I want a motherfucking Abarth so bad I'm considering breaking my current lease if they're as good as I think they will be.

I can't get over how reasonable the price is. Oh god I want one. :(

I bet they don't depreciate at all, either.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 23, 2010

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was absolutely certain you could get an automanual gearbox for the 500 in Europe, since the Panda is (was?) available with one.

Guess not v:shobon:v

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Oh, it still runs off of a cam. I guess that's a handy way to pump and pressurize the hydraulic fluid. Just a step up from modern variable valve lift and timing technologies, I guess.

When I read about the system couple of years ago (it was supposed to come out a while ago), at least then the idea was that they can alter the amount of oil in the hydraulic chamber fast enough that it can be adjusted within a single valve open-close cycle (!) and for each inlet valve separately. That would give basically infinely adjustable valves: duration, lift and profile could be steplessly adjusted for any rpm, throttle position independently. The cam is there to provide the basic up-down motion. This avoids the need to move the whole actuator worth of oil in and out each time valve opens and closes and only modification of this motion is needed. If the hydraulic system is fast enough, any kind of cam profile can be produced.

Of course it is very very unlikely, that the hydraulic system is fast enought to produce _any_ cam profile, but it should still provide good deal of flexibility. With fast hydraulics and a well chosen "base" cam profile, perhaps it can provide all the cam profiles that are useful.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 23, 2010

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I totally did not at all get to drive one of these a month ago but it had the paddle shifters and was white (bianco gioso) and oh my goodness I almost had a crisis when I absolutely didn't drive it around. The interior trim is really great, the gauge feel is superb, etc. Lots of room in the hatch, and it was really nice to see a motor that wasn't totally covered up with plastic things.

I'm really torn between buying a Pop version right away or waiting for the Abarth, but in any case the wife can have the xB entirely - this will be my car. There's even a place in the center console to put my pipe.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Jorsh posted:

If you can't drive a manual in city traffic you're a dumb baby.

But but....my cramping left foot :negative:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The auto has more cogs than the manual. I don't know how to feel about this. Is it a DCT (unlikely, I guess)?

I really want a sport but I'd want to compare it to the Pop before I decide that two grand is really worth whatever suspension changes they've enacted. Either way that Multi-Air engine sounds really awesome. Hopefully the valvetrain won't be too persnickety. Fiat have enough prejudices to overcome as it is.

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 23, 2010

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

I hope they keep the Abarth name and don't call it something retarded like 500 SRT Super Turbo Edition.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
RE: the valvetrain, large diesels have been doing this for decades with hydraulically-operated valves, where the hydraulic plunger is driven by cam but precise operation of the valve can be controlled by regulating hydraulic pressure. Fiat definitely wins for transferring the idea to automotive technology, but it's nothing new. Still very cool though.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Autism Sundae posted:

I hope they keep the Abarth name and don't call it something retarded like 500 SRT Super Turbo Edition.

Well it's coming to the US as a Fiat so i doubt that. Also why aren't the 500 graphics an option :argh:

incredibull posted:

RE: the valvetrain, large diesels have been doing this for decades with hydraulically-operated valves, where the hydraulic plunger is driven by cam but precise operation of the valve can be controlled by regulating hydraulic pressure. Fiat definitely wins for transferring the idea to automotive technology, but it's nothing new. Still very cool though.

That's good to know. Now I just need to scrape up some cash to buy one. Where did I leave that penny jar...

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

incredibull posted:

The large diesels turn very slowly compared to a small petrol engine in a car. I think the problem/innovation here is in the fast and precise enough hydraulics to manage the valve control within the open-shut cycle. I suspect the expense of the valvetrain is the reason why the engine is a two cylinder one.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

DoLittle posted:

The large diesels turn very slowly compared to a small petrol engine in a car. I think the problem/innovation here is in the fast and precise enough hydraulics to manage the valve control within the open-shut cycle. I suspect the expense of the valvetrain is the reason why the engine is a two cylinder one.

Except it's a four cylinder? I mean I assume it is since 16 valves would be overkill for two cylinders.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Except it's a four cylinder? I mean I assume it is since 16 valves would be overkill for two cylinders.

Oh, they've got a four cylinder version also. Couple of years ago when I was reading about it they were only planning a two cylinder one. Here's a review of the two cylinder "TwinAir" version:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/254248/fiat_500_twinair.html
I assumed it was still only for the two cylinder one.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Interiors are pretty awesome in these: http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201006/2010-abarth-500c-31_1600x0w.jpg

It looks like Abarth does have an auto or DSG with paddle shifters though, at least from that gallery.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

DoLittle posted:

Oh, they've got a four cylinder version also. Couple of years ago when I was reading about it they were only planning a two cylinder one. Here's a review of the two cylinder "TwinAir" version:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/254248/fiat_500_twinair.html
I assumed it was still only for the two cylinder one.

Nope, the four in the current model says Multi-Air.

....and I want want want it. :v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The auto has more cogs than the manual. I don't know how to feel about this.
Those Lexus 8-speed autos haven't impressed many reviewers, at least from a sport perspective. The fewer the gears, the more awesome your revmatches have to be.

I couldn't tell if the 2-cyl motor has the same valve actuation tech as the 4-cyl that we're gonna get in the US.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Black88GTA posted:

Italian cars built in Mexico? What could possibly go wrong? :iamafag:

And a fiat to boot! SIGN ME UP! :haw:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Autism Sundae posted:

There was some rumor that they were going to call it the Sport, but they used that for a different trim... so I guess the odds of it being called Abarth increased. As well as the odds of it being called 500 SRT Release Series A

edit god drat the steering wheel on the Abarth gives me an erection

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Autism Sundae posted:

I want an SRT version of the twin cylinder - the SRT 2.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
If you're Canadian and you wanted one of the first ones, it's already too late.

Personally I'd be extremely weary of buying a Mexico-built Italian car that seems likely to cause you trips to what I can only generously refer to as a truly awful dealer network. Seriously, Chrysler dealers will not hesitate to gently caress you over and Chrysler Canada will stand by them, that's been my experience.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

el topo posted:

Personally I'd be extremely weary of buying a Mexico-built Italian car that seems likely to cause you trips to what I can only generously refer to as a truly awful dealer network.

This is definitely the biggest reason not to get one, although I don't think Mini's reliability and dealerships are much better.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

el topo posted:

If you're Canadian and you wanted one of the first ones, it's already too late.

Personally I'd be extremely weary of buying a Mexico-built Italian car that seems likely to cause you trips to what I can only generously refer to as a truly awful dealer network. Seriously, Chrysler dealers will not hesitate to gently caress you over and Chrysler Canada will stand by them, that's been my experience.

They have dropped a shitload of dealers, but this still Chrysler's worst enemy.

I still contend the 4 speed automatic isn't as bad a transmission as its reputation. Some dealers were still telling people to put dextron in them into the mid 90's for christ sakes, do you think they can handle a Fiat?

Luckly it looks like only dealerships that are willing to spend a lot on training are going to get the car anyways, just being a Chrylser dealer doesn't mean they will have the 500.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Autism Sundae posted:

This is definitely the biggest reason not to get one, although I don't think Mini's reliability and dealerships are much better.

I think the European 500s are being built in Poland, so really, how much worse could this be?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
What other cars are built in Mexico? Is Mexican build quality still that bad, or is this more holdover from thirty or more years ago (like with Fiat)?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Really, this is great. I need to start saving money and going on a diet, because if I can get into one of these at the price listed, I might have to buy a car right off the lot.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

I saw lots of the old ones on a recent trip to Italy. They are really cool and ridiculously small compared to what I'm used to seeing.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
All the same, I do feel a bit odd for wanting to go from Honda to Fiat for a daily driver. There's something in the frontal lobe of my brain that can't cope with this desire. :haw:

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Clank posted:

I saw lots of the old ones on a recent trip to Italy. They are really cool and ridiculously small compared to what I'm used to seeing.

Some weirdo street parks this thing at the hipster-lofts a couple blocks from me in Brooklyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

What other cars are built in Mexico? Is Mexican build quality still that bad, or is this more holdover from thirty or more years ago (like with Fiat)?

I have an '02 Focus that was built at Ford's Hermosillo plant. Didn't have any problems that weren't experienced by US built models from the same generation.

I also have a 2010 Fusion built at the same plant, but I don't believe there are any US-built 2010s to compare against. Its at the dealer right now with transmission issues, but this appears to be a problem either with the transmission itself (its the new 6-speed auto that was a joint venture between Ford and GM) or Ford's shift map. Car seemed to be well put together from what I could tell v0v

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 23, 2010

• Locked thread