Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012
How do you like the digital tach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
I really disliked it at first and kept trying to get a killer deal on their last 2014 they had which was like fully optioned out and 29k (lol) but after a few test drives as well as getting to sit in and play with the car's dash it grew on me. When you put it into Sport Mode it gives you a G-Meter which is great fun IMO.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Bumping this in hope there are some people still driving this thing around.

Thinking of getting a 2015 Fiat Sport, Fiat Manhattan is running a special of a 2 year lease for $99/month. I don't understand how they are able to offer a deal so low, competitors are at least $180-$300 a month for other cars, albeit bigger ones.

Does anyone have any experience leasing a Fiat. How did you guys like it? Are these things easy to give back once the lease expires and you are under the mileage requirement?

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 22, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Check the mileage limit and see how much money is down.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Check the mileage limit and see how much money is down.

I am only using this to go to work and I only need it 3 days out of the week so I will stay under the mile requirement. I think the sales rep I talked to said it was 20,000 miles in 2 years.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Enigma89 posted:

I am only using this to go to work and I only need it 3 days out of the week so I will stay under the mile requirement. I think the sales rep I talked to said it was 20,000 miles in 2 years.

Just popped on their website and the fine print breaks down to this

- $1999 down + tax, title, dmv and dealer fees up front
- Must qualify for $1000 conquest rebate (you need to have a car on a competitive list)
- Must qualify for military bonus cash ($500)
- $395 disposition fee due on lease return
- 740+ fico score required as well

Realistically you would have to pay about $2900 total out of pocket + whatever dealer fees they have tacked on if you qualified for all the rebates. If you don't the just add the rebate amount to your tab.

kill me now fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 23, 2015

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

kill me now posted:

Just popped on their website and the fine print breaks down to this

- $1999 down + tax, title, dmv and dealer fees up front
- Must qualify for $1000 conquest rebate (you need to have a car on a competitive list)
- Must qualify for military bonus cash ($500)
- $395 disposition fee due on lease return
- 740+ fico score required as well

Realistically you would have to pay about $2900 total out of pocket + whatever dealer fees they have tacked on if you qualified for all the rebates. If you don't the just add the rebate amount to your tab.

That's fine. Up front money is not a problem at the moment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Up front money on a lease is silly.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Up front money on a lease is silly.

Do these Fiats hold their value well or do they drop down fast? I am just worried Fiat is going to change the shape of the car in a year or two and then I am sitting on a really old looking car that has lost all of its resale value. I guess the one thing is that the car is quite cheap in general. Leasing a Beamer in Manhattan looks like its at least $350/Month.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It doesn't seem from your post that you understand how a lease works. You don't own the car. FCA takes the car back at the end of the lease term. The residual value does not matter other than in calculating the cost of the lease, which is done up front. If you decide you really want the car, you can purchase it from FCA at a price at the end of the lease, which is defined in the lease agreement.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It doesn't seem from your post that you understand how a lease works. You don't own the car. FCA takes the car back at the end of the lease term. The residual value does not matter other than in calculating the cost of the lease, which is done up front. If you decide you really want the car, you can purchase it from FCA at a price at the end of the lease, which is defined in the lease agreement.

I thought they estimate the value of the car at the end of the lease (at time of signing) but there could be things that happen where the car ends up being worth less than the estimated value and then you have to pay the difference? Sorry for these newbie questions.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Enigma89 posted:

I thought they estimate the value of the car at the end of the lease (at time of signing) but there could be things that happen where the car ends up being worth less than the estimated value and then you have to pay the difference? Sorry for these newbie questions.

If you gently caress up the car (unrepaired damage, etc) or go over the mileage limit, or wear down the tires below a certain threshold, they'll charge you for those things. They will not charge you if their estimate of depreciation was incorrect.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
The whole "money down" thing on a lease is to get your payment to match up with whatever payment they advertise. You don't have to put any money down on a lease but your payment will go up accordingly.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Oh that is great to know. Awesome, thanks guys! How do you guys like the Fiat 500 for maintenance work, is it as bad as BMW? I imagine it can't be as cheap to work on like a Toyota right?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

TheWevel posted:

The whole "money down" thing on a lease is to get your payment to match up with whatever payment they advertise. You don't have to put any money down on a lease but your payment will go up accordingly.

And on a 24 month lease it will go up approximately $40/mo for every $1k you don't put down so expect about $210-$219/mo if you roll everything into your payments. Once again even more if you fail to qualify for all the rebates they list on that deal.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

One of the upshots of a lease is that you have the car during its lowest cost-to-operate period. It won't need more than a few oil changes and maybe some tires if you flog it hard.

By the way, you really want to listen to everyone saying to not put money down. If your leased car gets stolen / totaled / otherwise written off, you straight up lose any money you put down. Whereas if you just roll it into the lease payment, you pay a minimal amount more at the end of the lease compared to what you would've put down.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

Enigma89 posted:

Oh that is great to know. Awesome, thanks guys! How do you guys like the Fiat 500 for maintenance work, is it as bad as BMW? I imagine it can't be as cheap to work on like a Toyota right?

I work for Fiat, maintenance is dirt cheap, oil changes are about $40 full synthetic including filter. First service is at 15k and costs $130-$180, second service is at 30k and is about $220-260, then only every 30k after that. You can only get your service done at a Fiat studio or a Chrysler dealership that has a Fiat certified technician on staff, Fiat does it that way because they don't want some minimum wage wrench monkey maintaining your vehicle. Of course you can buy the parts yourself and do the maintenance, just save your receipts for the warranty, which is 4 years 50k which includes 24/7 comprehensive roadside assistance. The 2015 year models have been having issues with the purge valve solenoids and telecommunications module, both of which are easy in and out fixes covered under warranty. If you have any questions you can feel free to PM me!

Also I did a thing;

Eurocompulsion R3T V2 intake, MPx ported throttle body and a Madness V2 ECU. Makes all sorts of lovely noises now and hauls even more rear end, love this little go kart.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Tanz, why does the clutch pedal in my '13 Pop make a springy sounding click about a second after I release it at the top or bottom of its travel? Also my USB port hates working about half the time.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
I'd say check the bolts on where the clutch pedal bracket is bolted to the firewall, it could be a loose bracket. I'll run it by my tech tomorrow. The USB in the '13 have always acted funny, I had to unplug and plug my USB Bluetooth adapter in quite often. If the car is still under 50k you could always have have a tech look at it for free, IIRC there is an updated USB port after the 13MY. There might also be a flash for the telecommunications module available. I can ask about that tomorrow too!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Enigma89 posted:

Buddy, if you're on a lease everything is under warranty and if you are on a 20k mile lease you'll hardly need to do any maintenance at all. It doesn't matter in your situation.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

You can only get your service done at a Fiat studio or a Chrysler dealership that has a Fiat certified technician on staff, Fiat does it that way because they don't want some minimum wage wrench monkey maintaining your vehicle.

Warranty work sure, but you can get regular service anywhere you please.

reL
May 20, 2007

ickna posted:

Tanz, why does the clutch pedal in my '13 Pop make a springy sounding click about a second after I release it at the top or bottom of its travel? Also my USB port hates working about half the time.

Seconding this question for the clutch in my 2013 Abarth

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The USB on my 2014 abarthis the finickiest thing, it can't read my phone, it'll read my 8 gig flash drive, but not a 2 or 32 GB one.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

IOwnCalculus posted:

One of the upshots of a lease is that you have the car during its lowest cost-to-operate period. It won't need more than a few oil changes and maybe some tires if you flog it hard.

By the way, you really want to listen to everyone saying to not put money down. If your leased car gets stolen / totaled / otherwise written off, you straight up lose any money you put down. Whereas if you just roll it into the lease payment, you pay a minimal amount more at the end of the lease compared to what you would've put down.

Quoting this post but really replying to all. Thanks. I should of prefaced my original post to say I have to go to NJ only 3 days a week from Manhattan for only the next two years; the company I am going to be working for is moving more operations to Manhattan once their current lease is over with their current building in Manhattan (little less than 2 years).

I know it doesn't make the most financial sense but I really see it like renting an apartment versus buying. I expect to only have to go to NJ for two years and then they are buying up a bigger building in Manhattan and getting us out of Time Square so by that time I know I won't need a car. If it all goes according to plan, I should only be 'on the hook' with this car for 2 years and then after that I don't see any reason to ever own a car.

I could buy a used car but I really don't know anything about cars and would have to get all the work done at a mechanics and I have already been gouged a few times and seeing how money obsessed NYC is, I can imagine it would even be worst so I am willing to lose out the few thousand dollars (minimum amount whatever it is) at the sign of lease. It would make my life hell if I ended up buying a used car that was a lemon which happened to me with my current car.

I'm not even that really into Fiat that much besides the size and the lower initial cost, so I see this as one of the cheaper options. I saw some other people suggesting a Ford fiesta but I had a nightmare experience with Ford before so I want to try something else out + I see this as the last car I will ever have so it would be nice to have something that was a bit fun to drive around in; I've always wanted to have a tiny little car like a Mini or a Fiat so maybe I am just trying to satisfy that thirst.

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

I work for Fiat, maintenance is dirt cheap, oil changes are about $40 full synthetic including filter. First service is at 15k and costs $130-$180, second service is at 30k and is about $220-260, then only every 30k after that. You can only get your service done at a Fiat studio or a Chrysler dealership that has a Fiat certified technician on staff, Fiat does it that way because they don't want some minimum wage wrench monkey maintaining your vehicle. Of course you can buy the parts yourself and do the maintenance, just save your receipts for the warranty, which is 4 years 50k which includes 24/7 comprehensive roadside assistance. The 2015 year models have been having issues with the purge valve solenoids and telecommunications module, both of which are easy in and out fixes covered under warranty. If you have any questions you can feel free to PM me!

Thank You!

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 24, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

I work for Fiat, maintenance is dirt cheap, oil changes are about $40 full synthetic including filter. First service is at 15k and costs $130-$180, second service is at 30k and is about $220-260, then only every 30k after that.

What do they need at 15k and 30k? Only asking because my only benchmark for "modern car" just needs oil every 10k and air filter every 20k for the first 100,000 miles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Leasing the Fiat makes sense for your situation. People are just concerned that you don't really understand how leases work. You might want to pay a visit to the AI/BFC thread.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Leasing the Fiat makes sense for your situation. People are just concerned that you don't really understand how leases work. You might want to pay a visit to the AI/BFC thread.

What does BFC stand for? Can't find it on search.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Enigma89 posted:

What does BFC stand for? Can't find it on search.

Business, Finance, and Careers

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Enigma89 posted:

Quoting this post but really replying to all. Thanks. I should of prefaced my original post to say I have to go to NJ only 3 days a week from Manhattan for only the next two years; the company I am going to be working for is moving more operations to Manhattan once their current lease is over with their current building in Manhattan (little less than 2 years).

I know it doesn't make the most financial sense but I really see it like renting an apartment versus buying. I expect to only have to go to NJ for two years and then they are buying up a bigger building in Manhattan and getting us out of Time Square so by that time I know I won't need a car. If it all goes according to plan, I should only be 'on the hook' with this car for 2 years and then after that I don't see any reason to ever own a car.

I could buy a used car but I really don't know anything about cars and would have to get all the work done at a mechanics and I have already been gouged a few times and seeing how money obsessed NYC is, I can imagine it would even be worst so I am willing to lose out the few thousand dollars (minimum amount whatever it is) at the sign of lease. It would make my life hell if I ended up buying a used car that was a lemon which happened to me with my current car.

Thank You!

Since you're in Manhattan, you should make sure to shop around if there are any other Fiat dealers in the outer boroughs or Westchester/LI to see if you can get a better deal on the lease. Even though they're all Fiat dealers, they may have different incentives / sales quotas to meet / be bigger or lesser assholes. And you can take the car to be serviced at the closest place even if you buy from further away, it'll all be under warranty anyway (unless you do something very foolish).

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Thanks to both very helpful.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

Twerk from Home posted:

What do they need at 15k and 30k? Only asking because my only benchmark for "modern car" just needs oil every 10k and air filter every 20k for the first 100,000 miles.

Doesn't seem like it's worth the cost to me honestly but it's the recommended maintenance. Oil changes are 6mo/6k because the MultiAir system needs to have the cleanest oil possible.

reL posted:

Seconding this question for the clutch in my 2013 Abarth

Talked to my service manager, he said that it could be the clutch already going out, if you're both under 4yr/50k schedule a service visit so they can give you a proper diagnosis.

Tanz-Kommandant fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 24, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Holy poo poo, $250 for an oil change, tire rotation, air filters, and spak plugs? Wowza. Also, it needs spak plugs every 30k miles?!

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Twerk from Home posted:

Holy poo poo, $250 for an oil change, tire rotation, air filters, and spak plugs? Wowza. Also, it needs spak plugs every 30k miles?!

For the uninformed (me) is that a lot or very little?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Enigma89 posted:

For the uninformed (me) is that a lot or very little?

That's a ton, he just said that oil changes are $40, changing air filters shouldn't be more than $50 max if it's a pain to reach, and spark plugs are cheap. I have no idea how it adds up to that.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
A lot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Well, clearly the problem is that it uses spak plugs. Must be harder to get than spark plugs!

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
Labor is $149/hr at Chrysler dealers now, plus markups on parts, it adds up very quickly. Don't act so surprised, its the 'stealership' :rolleyes:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
So on a scale from 8series to civic, how's the higher mileage reliability been? I've seen used base 2012s in the 8s with 40-50k on them, and think it might make a fun commuter to take to 100k or so.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
I've seen trades with 15k that are mauled to poo poo and run down and I've seen a '12 Pop with 83k and it ran nice and smooth no issues. Gotta do your shopping - as with any car priced at entry level they attract buyers who run them into the ground. Do your homework and find a 500 with a clean Carfax & manual trans and you should find a winner...The autos come in beat to hell 9 times out of 10, sadly. As for longevity I've seen hit and miss weird issues with the '12, find a '13 or '14 as that's when Fiat spent extra $$$ reinforcing key components in the engine and drive train. Hope this helps! :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reL
May 20, 2007

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Talked to my service manager, he said that it could be the clutch already going out, if you're both under 4yr/50k schedule a service visit so they can give you a proper diagnosis.

Hrm, that'd be curious; I'm not exactly a hoonigan or anything.

Mine only clicks when releasing the clutch, if that makes a difference. I'm under 4/50k so I'll have it looked into, thanks.

• Locked thread