Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's to do with the GPU acceleration and El Capitan. I think installing updates to OS X fixed it, but I can't exactly remember. If you want it gone in the short term setting the project to use the software playback engine should work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

If it's anything like the MP4 container, it can be practically impossible to repair the file without some kind of special knowledge. MP4 writers will happily wait until the stream finishes to write the tree which describes which packets are video and which are audio, without which there's no real way of telling them apart.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

What resolution and bitrate are you exporting at? At a first guess it just looks like encoding artefacts from too low a bitrate.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

There should be a number for quality on there somewhere as well, sorry, I'm not familiar with the Vegas export window so I couldn't say where.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

That should be enough for 720p, even at 60fps. Is it definitely using H.264?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Convert the bitmaps to PNG, use Resolve to upscale it to 4k, export from Resolve as H.264 and push that to Youtube. Youtube gives more bitrate to 4k uploads so you'll have a better chance of getting a good image, but ultimately it's a bad platform for high frequency detail. Don't worry about it being greyscale or not, that won't significantly affect the filesize or quality of a compressed file.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Safe to say that's a bug in Vegas for those particular output settings. If it originally came off a tape it might have non-square pixels or something else that puts you into the "less thorough QA" zone.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

FreudianSlippers posted:

Finally have a rough cut of the project I'm working on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i42_GGbM1KM

Notice that this and the footage you've been posting over in CineD is all log-space, afaik it's fairly typical to have a 'decent' first-go LUT that you slap on to preview/edit so you aren't stuck looking at all that flat colour before the colourist gets involved.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Non-linear editor, anything in a computer basically.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

lol, looks great!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Would imagine the two videos are laid over one another and then the opacity of the top one is controlled by an expression on the current frame number.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Cabbages and Kings posted:

So -- is there something better than OBS for what I am doing, that would give me more flexibility and maybe more trivially tweakable encoding/capture/etc settings? If someone in a professional setting was trying to compose video this way, what application(s) might they be using?

In terms of slapping bits of video together in real time for display, professionally you'd probably get a media server involved which would be a combined hardware/software solution with a pro capture card etc. In terms of encoding the output to a file you'd probably still end up running OBS somewhere though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ineptitude posted:

Been an avid hobby photographer for over a decade but never really cared for videography, until this skiing season where my kids are getting pretty decent at skiing and i got an Insta360 X3 camera.

Have a bunch of videos of my family shot during this winter and have started trying to turn them into small clips we can show to friends/family but not having much luck.

After using Insta360 Studio to reframe the video it is time to export it and here is where i think things go awry. The file sizes come out gigantic and they look like poo poo.

The export settings i have available are
Bitrate(measured in Mbps, lowest being 1)
Resolution
Encoding Format (H.264 or 265)

Im not very knowledgeable about movie files but i do remember movies i "acquired" in my youth were like 1gb for a movie 2 hours long and looking a lot better than this. I also seem to remember they were measured in kbps and not mbps?
Is it a software issue? Am i supposed to just use Insta360 Studio to reframe, export, then take the export to a different software?

Would say some of your assumptions here are wrong - the movies you ripped when you were young were likely DVD resolution and fairly poor quality. Youtube is fairly heavily compressed and still serves 8mbps 1080p files. Your Insta 360 X3 is recording up to 5.7K video, 8 times bigger than that, and in a quality sufficient that it can be edited and then reencoded and still look acceptable.

This doesn't explain why it's looking bad for you, but the numbers are reasonable.