Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Blckdrgn posted:

I have a question that perhaps you guys would be able to help me with. I was working on a small video using captured footage from Dxtory that was captured using the x264vfw - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec. I opened it up in Premiere (5.5) and the length and audio is fine but the footage is all black. Am I missing a plug-in here? Or am I using the wrong tool for the job. This is really my first time using premiere so apologies if I'm retarded.

Is premiere :filez: ? Sometimes that can mess it up. It opens normally in quicktime player and stuff? You might want to try transcoding the footage to pro res or something and then try opening it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Yuns posted:

Premiere Pro CS6 claims its an unsupported format or damaged file when I try to import it into a project. Sony Vegas Pro and Davinci Resolve don't work on the file either. BUT After Effects digests and plays the file just fine.

Try rendering it in uncompressed Quicktime out of AE. "Add to Render Queue" on the menu.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
+1 for Adobe Prelude. I love that thing. It lets you pick out the best clips from long interviews so much faster than listening to them in Premiere. I was trying to convince a wedding editor that he wouldn't need to hire a rough cut editor if he had that software but he wouldn't listen.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I'm not trying to sell anything, I just figured there were other people in my situation who would benefit from the knowledge. That said, are there any FREE resources that do something similar? keepvid and the such seem to only work on youtube, and even then it's sporadic.

The Safari extension ClickToFlash is quite good for downloading mp4 versions of youtube videos. Works on Vimeo and other sites as well.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

thehustler posted:

There's over 10 gig of ram in the Mac Pros of myself and my colleagues at my workplace and we use FCP7 for all our editing work. Is that RAM wasted?

We use Compressor and Handbrake and sometimes MPEG Streamclip as well, and very rarely After Effects or motion. Not sure if they'll benefit too.

OS X flies though :)

32 bit applications can only use 4 gigs of ram effectively. I recently upgraded my work laptop from 8 gigs to 16 and I've been noticing some big performance gains and smoothness, especially in davinci resolve.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I've been trying to do more motion graphics work. See what you guys think.

https://vimeo.com/62883890 pw: lynn

This is with the after effects camera tracker. You really need a pretty well-lit and sharp focus scene for it to work well.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
My DSLR leaks blue light automatically, sorry. I need to get it sent in for repair. Is Mocha pretty much the same to use? I've seen it there but never messed around with it.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Ziploc posted:

Out of curiosity, How'd you get the under plane footage?

That's a gopro with an industrial grade suction cup. I'm not sure if I'd put my personal one in the same situation but that particular one is owned by the college of aviation.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Am I reading correctly that Premiere 6.5 will have a pluraleyes type function built in?

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Are you talking about a gopro hero 3 black with protune? Otherwise it shouldn't really need much. If you shot inside it's probably going to be underexposed, but you can't lift it that much.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

AA is for Quitters posted:

In Premiere (preferably going back to CS3 since that's what we edit the one show on. Don't ask) is there an easier way to mask something out of a shot than garbage matting it and animating the garbage matte? IE dude is wearing something we want covered, so I simply matted out a good section of his shirt, and laid it over top of what I wanted to cover and animated the matte to move with him.

Is there any easier way to do that rather than have to go through drat near frame-by-frame to make sure the matte is properly positioned? Especially cause I got to go through a half hour show this past weekend and have to lay the matte over an idiot who couldn't affix a lapel pin correctly, and get it done in 45 minutes before the show had to go to air. Managed to do an all right job, but it was far from the world's best. Since I'm still very much in "amateur" status i figured I'd ask you pros.

Also, gently caress cutting together promos. Seriously. gently caress it. Actually, take that back. I love it. I hate that my boss and I have very different ideas of what we want in promos. (I like artsy stuff. He...doesn't. So I'll design a promo, he'll go 'well it looks nice but why not use these scenes instead?') yet when I ask him what scenes he wants me to use he goes "oh, well, you're the one cutting it together, you pick."

I wouldn't try this in premiere. This is a job for the tracker in after effects, mocha, or possibly the color keyer in colorista or davinci resolve.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

powderific posted:

If you have no goals whatsoever outside the school stuff, does it really matter? Why not just use whatever all your teachers are already using? Or whatever you like best. I'm not sure why you're worried about being more professional if you have no interest in being a professional.

Premiere is popular with the DSLR crowd / people who dreaming of making real movies (myself included) I use it because it is like FCP7 and integrates with after effects very well.

FCPX is getting more popular with many professionals who actually take the time to delve into it. Many say they can cut much faster on it than anything else. The rest of the industry [who probably only tried it once or twice] still says it's iMovie.

Avid is supposedly losing market share? Dunno, never tried it, but I think most TV is still cut on Avid.

It really doesn't matter what you choose. If you like iMovie and Macs stick with FCPX.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Have you guys tried the pancake timeline method in Premiere? It's pretty neat. Supposedly Fincher's editors for the social network and girl with the dragon tattoo used it.

http://vashivisuals.com/adobe-cs6-5-editing-tips-for-music-videos/

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I think it's supposed to be a cinematography / DP reel Raoul. I thought there were some really nice shots. Only thing I would say would be on some of the night close-ups like at 00:37 the skin tones look a tad green.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Premiere handles h264 just fine as they have said but I did notice it rendered prores much faster than h264 dlsr footage on a mac, even though the prores was 10 bit and much larger.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Trying out some parallax type animation with a still photo. Very time-consuming but when all you have is still photos for a project I think it's worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q4qEW1_3A0&hd=1

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Does it happen every single time? Did you try shooting new footage and using different drives to render it out?

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
You could grade the DNGs in after effects' camera raw. It's exactly like lightroom but you can render out the resulting clip in any format you want.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Dillbag is right, don't switch mid-project, but I have opened many CS6 projects in CC and it works just fine.

Footage looks good either way 1st AD. Did you light the interiors?

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Buy this book: http://www.amazon.com/Blink-Eye-Revised-2nd-Edition/dp/1879505622

Read it, and read it some more. Learn the technical parts of editing from internet tutorials. I did this course though back when they were shooting on film and it really enabled my career: http://www.scps.nyu.edu/academics/departments/cada/academic-offerings/noncredit/certificate-in-filmmaking.html

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

the_lion posted:

Just a note for people upgrading to the new OSX.

Appears that app nap in Mavericks screws with Adobe products like AE and Premiere. At least for me. I've had 5-7 crashes in 3 or so days before I turned it off.

You can turn it off on individual apps by using Get info on the app in finder.

Thanks for the tip. Mavericks also breaks DaVinci Resolve. Uninstalling / reinstalling seemed to fix it though.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I use my home machine as a test lab rat for new software. I haven't updated to mavericks yet at work either. But I must say tagging files in finder rules for video editing.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Yip Yips posted:

Is there any way to make Premiere's zoom tool function like Photoshop's?

I bound the ~ key to make any window the mouse is hovering over fullscreen. Very useful.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

the_lion posted:

So uh, is dynamic link between AE and Premiere on cs6 always terrible? It just seems to render black for the majority of my comps. :(

We don't have CC on this machine unfortunate but I've tried relinking and it still fails.

Every dynamic comp is it's own AE file if that helps.

How are you storing your raw footage? I feel like dynamic link needs a fast RAID to be reliable for longer comps.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Cyne posted:

Oh yeah, that was a poor choice of words on my part. I just basically meant that would be his machine for the final edit / output and rendering, not necessarily finishing in the classical sense of the word. I definitely wouldn't want to use an iMac for serious color grading or anything like that.

My iMac will play back 2.5k raw with a couple nodes on it in real time in davinci resolve.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Yip Yips posted:

Shot in the dark Premiere question - I have audio from a recorder that seems to be recording slightly too slowly so it drifts out of sync from the footage and other recorder. I used a very small speed adjustment (like 100.03% small) to fix it and it works great in the timeline but when I export it it seems to just ignore the adjustment entirely.

Any ideas what's causing that? Or suggestions for a better way to deal with the issue?

Are you exporting your final render at the same sample rate as your audio was originally? 48000 Hz versus 44100 etc.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Karthe posted:

I hope this is the right thread for this, but I'm looking for intermediate video editing software recommendations for Windows, along the lines of Sony Movie Studio or Adobe Premier Elements. What would you guys recommend in the sub-$100 range? And I'm not all that attached to Adobe or Sony; however, the "best editing software" lists I find via Google don't have anything that look as usable as what Sony or Adobe offers.

The last editing software I purchased was Sony Movie Studio HD 9 back in 2010. I looked to upgrade to the latest version since I get a discount for having 9, but apparently Sony ruined everything with their touchscreen-oriented Movie Studio Platinum 13 - reviews for it have been pretty harsh on it.

Have you tried Davinci Resolve Lite 11? It's free and fairly robust as an editor.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
If you don't want to roundtrip to resolve for every single project just get Colorista / Looks. Almost all the functionality right inside premiere.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I've been very happy with my H6. It does have phantom power. I've never accidentally yanked an XLR out, but if your film students are total newbs it could be a consideration.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Greenplastic posted:

Is 8 gigs of ram really too little for Premiere CC?

Every time I do basic masking, effects, or graphics, and sometimes when editing normally, available ram drops to 15mb or so, and the weird thing is that if I just wait it out it takes forever to finish whatever it is, but if I tab to another application it instantly frees up about 1 gig of ram and let's me keep working for 30 seconds or a minute before it happens again.

Do I simply need to get 16gigs?

I would say 16 gigs is the minimum, but if you are doing big projects, you should be looking at 32.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Greenplastic posted:

Thanks, I think you're both right. I have 1 gig of VRAM - is that very low?

For editing 1080p prores footage in shorter projects without a lot of effects you should be ok. (h264 compressed footage is harder on computer)

2gb video ram is generally the minimum for acceptable speeds - 4gb being preferred. If you are editing 4k and stuff, 4gb minimum for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Here's a Back to the Future pastiche I shot: https://vimeo.com/140434879