Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Wondering if you guys could help me. So I'm in the market for a new monitor soon as this one is pretty knackered. I now use a hackintosh to do my editing and it's performing pretty excellently so far. The question is, what monitor should I go for - a 4K on or an ultrawide? I'm really tempted to save up and go ultrawide as that will give me a dual monitor set up with the old monitor used for files / clip browsing and the ultra for timeline and other. what, if any, monitors would you guys recommend as the best bang for buck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes. I'm in need of some advice about what to do next.

I'm a freelance video editor who wasn't previously at a production house or any other post facility. I know, I know. This happened purely by accident as I came back to the UK from teaching abroad and wanted a career change. My friend who is a cameraman said that he was also doing the editing on a show and he hated it so he'd split the payment if I did the editing to free himself up for more camera work so that's how I got in rather than the much more frequent runner upwards route. Turns out that I love editing and if I didn't do it to make money, I'd probably do it in my free time so I've been trying my hardest to break into somewhere on a permanent basis.

Since then (this was about 2-3 years ago) I moved back to a city I love - Bristol - but have found it really difficult to get consistent work. I've cut online content for some relatively well known brands (eBay, Amazon etc.) on behalf of a few post / animation houses here which has bolstered my CV a bit more. I got these jobs simply from cold calling and asking if they needed help either assistant editing / offline editing and they've all been happy with what I've done. In my free time I've learnt After Effects as well as Avid and will be focussing on getting fast at making motion graphics for quick turn-around projects when they come up as nearly everyone is asking for this.

As I know networking is 90% the battle but I was just wondering what you guys think would be a good next step. Should I start at the bottom and work upwards in a post house or am I now too old (34)? Should I just hang in there which has been the advice of some of my full-time editing friends? Should I move to London (which is where I'm originally from) and try my luck there since there's a much denser amount of post facilities?

My showreel is here and I'd really appreciate any feedback or advice. https://vimeo.com/203692386

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

TipsyMcStagger posted:

This might not be the place to discuss this but I want to start editting some video and looking for some suggestions on some decent starter editting software. Paid or not basically

You have some choices available to you: Adobe Premiere (which is my main NLE), Final Cut X, Sony Vegas, Avid Media Composer or Hitfilm Express. DaVinci Resolve does have very basic editing abilities but is nearly always used for colour work instead.

I would recommend Premiere for two reasons:

Firstly because it's actually pretty easy to use and isn't that daunting to learn the basics in. You also have a lot of freedom to learn basic drag and drop methods or more keyboard based ones whereas something like Avid is very keyboard centred.

Secondly, let's say you end up loving editing and you want to get paid for it. You can get a reasonable amount of work if you know how to use premiere (yes, yes - I know Avid is still the king here) whereas I hardly ever see jobs going where they need someone who uses FCPX or Vegas.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Cicero posted:

My eight year old son is interested in learning video editing. Is there, like, a structured course somewhere, maybe something similar to Codecademy or Coursera/Udacity, that would work okay for a kid? He'd have some assistance from us, of course. He has access to a Windows PC and an iPad.

Would highly recommend Lynda.com's Adobe Premiere Pro guide to teach yourself first if you haven't already then just teaching him yourself. I literally can't think of any kids guides for editing.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Word up everyone, quick question regarding battery types.

So I have a BMPCC4K and battery grip which apparently takes NPF570 batteries as opposed to the LP-E6 ones. I have looked everywhere online for these but they all look a little larger than the ones that BMD have advertised on their website, which in addition seem to be relatively cheap and 3500mAh. Does anyone know if there are any decent third party brands apart from Hawkwood that'll work?

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Your choices are pretty much this:

Avid MC - The masochist's option for a first time editor. Industry standard, steep learning curve, only really recommended if you want a career in editing or are doing serious long-form stuff. Not a good idea.

Premiere Pro - Basically for almost everything short-form on the web. Easy to understand, can be buggy af at times but not debilitating, very good for motion graphics integration with After Effects, highly recommended for beginners.

FCPX - Actually a great bit of software but not intuitive. Does some file / project management stuff that I personally hate but it's background rendering is awesome. Mac only. No-one really uses it professionally save for a few random places I've worked at.

Resolve - Brilliant colour grading software. Pretty horrible for editing and motion graphics in my opinion. Can also render out a much broader variety of videos codec-wise than Premiere. Not recommended for editing.

Vegas, Hit Film and the others: Nah, wouldn't bother personally.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Trabant posted:

First, thank you all for the suggestions! I've watched a lot of mini-tutorials and crash courses based on your recommendations over the last day :)

Second -- and I promise I won't keep digging much deeper into this rabbit hole -- I do want to understand this a bit better:

I'm not necessarily going down the Resolve path (my system may actually be too much of a weakling for it) but can anyone explain why you feel it's bad for editing? Keeping in mind that this is for editing babby's first YouTube videos, with zero aspirations to get sponsored by Squarespace or SimplySafe or Skillshare or... Anyway, what I've seen in the various demos certainly doesn't make it look convoluted. Are we talking bad process flow or capabilities or something else entirely?

Resolve has a workflow which I personally find annoying. I'm going to also preface this by saying that I'm a full time editor that uses Premiere Pro so I'm probably biased - I'll try and keep it short and not totally butcher my example.

Resolve basically has multiple tabs to do the various things in. It has Media, Cut, Edit, Fusion, Colour, Fairlight and Deliver. Effectively, these are all the different stages of your project. You cannot detach say a window from Colour and keep your editing timeline up at the same time.

This is annoying. I work on lots of fast-turnaround content and when I look at a timeline that I or someone else has worked on, it should show me as much info as possible and allow me to get stuck in. Due to the lack of window / tab customisation, I now have to flick back and forth through 3 different interfaces.

There's nothing wrong with Resolve per se. It's just nowhere near as customisable as Premiere and whilst the price is definitely right, it just drives me nuts how you can't, for example, easily detach the source / program window and have it on a separate monitor.

It's poo poo hot for grading though, can't fault it for that. If I had a tier list of easiest to learn editing in it'd probably be FCP7 and Premiere Pro at the top, FCPX in the middle, Avid at the bottom with Resolve just above it.

EDIT: Let me put it this way: even though I dislike Avid, it absolutely is full of "A-ha! That's clever!" moments when you learn it. When I tried to do an edit on a personal project in Resolve about a year ago it was "gently caress this, why aren't you.... gently caress this!". If you're making homemade videos for YouTube, Resolve is absolutely fine - especially given as it's free - but if you don't mind the Adobe subscription cost or you can acquire it through other means, I'd go with that.

frytechnician fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 12, 2021

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
I'm avid about not using Avid.

Having said that, Premiere can really loving test my patience with certain things. It's track matte system is absolutely loving stupid as is adding warp stabilization to any clip which has its timelength changed. You need to nest to fix this in both instances, and with the track matte you actually have to go into the nest to make adjustments.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Full time video editor here with almost a decade of experience. Unless there's been a radical shift, it's still typically Avid MC for long form and broadcast, Premiere for web and short form. Literally had one post house ever use FCPX and none using Resolve outside of colour grading. I think FCP7 was still in use at a few more news-y places years back but can't confirm first hand.

I actually like Resolve but not as an NLE at all. It can do some absolute god-tier noise reduction in the paid version and can really get you out of a jam if you have things like strobing or more intensive colour work that Avid or Premiere can't fix, but I found it extremely unintuitive to use for editing and unnecessarily clunky.

Having said that, I know an extremely senior editor who's been using it for quick turnaround stuff so I guess it depends if you're end-to-ending a piece of content entirely for a client who trusts you. The simple fact that I can't resize and move my program, source, timeline, bins, effects etc. with even a fraction of the ease and customisation that I can in Premiere immediately drives me bananas before I've even started.

I don't know why the thread has gotten so heated but the truth is that 99.9% of the time, you will be working either in Avid or Premiere as a professional paid editor.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Any tutorial video that has a guy wearing a baseball cap backwards who begins their video with "What's up guys?" is to be avoided like the plague.

Half-joking aside, just edit until you hit a snag and then look up how to overcome it. Sounds kind of obvious but just get your footage down in the timeline, swing the axe judiciously til you're happy with a content cut and then think about how you want to use b-roll, stock, animation etc. to cover the cuts.

You do not need to re-invent the wheel and there are plenty of fancy tricks to use to keep a nice or interesting aesthetic but your goal really is to understand pace. And that pretty much only comes with practice imo.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Funnily enough, today was a Premiere extravaganza of bugs and crashes and because the algorithm knows all, I started getting a whole bunch of "Switching to Resolve" videos recommend to me on YouTube literally an hour after.

I am actually tempted.

It would be a massive undertaking to migrate my company's workflow to it but I am so, SO over Premiere just simply failing at some of the most basic poo poo. Guess I'll have to make time to redo a short, previously completed edit in it from scratch to get my head round things but yeah, if I get one more "damaged project" error message or crash when relinking, I'm gonna go balls deep just out of principle.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Lizard Combatant posted:

At least with avid, the project itself isn't that important and all your stuff is in separate (and hopefully frequently auto archived) bin files so recovery is usually pretty painless. I don't think I'd ever be able to give up the convenience of the bins system for sharing and project management. Want to just take a single sequence home or send it to a remote assistant? Drop it in a bin, 'reveal file' and flick it across through Slack/whatever, easy.

Resolve also has the annoying quirk of only being able to share or copy/backup/move the project from within resolve itself, unless this is something they've changed recently?

If today is a slow day (which it might be due to the strikes), I'm going to get stuck into Resolve as an NLE and see how easy it is to share projects. Expecting a lot of pain as I've been Premiere since forever but gotta take those opportunities to learn new skills when you can, I get absolutely bodied by work on an average day!

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Trip report on today's findings:

Setting up the shortcuts didn't take too long and everything seemed to make sense. Some bullshit though that Resolve doesn't have some pretty standard keyboard shortcuts like "Increase Video / Audio Track Height" which is default set to shift+mouse up / down and can't be changed afaik.

The real bitch was the text tools. Essential Graphics in Premiere absolutely smokes Resolve in terms of functionality and ease of use. It was a really, really unfun experience trying to do basic poo poo in Resolve like change the size and colour of fonts on a single line, which is just a cinch in Premiere. And don't get me started on Fusion...

It's extremely early days yet but yeah, I'm not bowled over so far. If anyone actually gives two hoots about this, I might write another update as and when I get time but if not, consider this the last I'll talk about my Resolve as NLE woes!

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Richlove posted:

Hardware question here from a small time content creator.

I currently am editing my 1440p footage in Premiere Pro/After Effects on a rig with a 5950x, 32GB of RAM and an RTX 3080. All video projects are worked on two internal 2tb NVME SSDs.

What would be the best route to decrease encoding time and improve performance within Premiere/AE?

I have been looking at an RTX4090 but would that provide a great improvement in your experience? Have been looking at benchmarks and trying to ascertain what would be the best way to go.
Appreciate your input. :eng101:

What you've got seems like a pretty monstrous rig already and in my opinion, there wouldn't be much point upgrading further at this point.

What exactly seems to be the bottleneck regarding encoding?

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Yeah, I think the answer to this is "Adobe being Adobe".

I'm actually so fed up with them that I'm seriously considering switching to Resolve entirely.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Lmao, God do I ever truly hate After Effects. I imagine doing an edit in it is total hell.

frytechnician fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 2, 2023

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hey I like AE, but choosing to edit in it is like considering trying to do an effect more complicated that a scale adjustment in Avid.

Eh, I only hate it because I don't know how to use it properly and have massive animator jealousy!

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Power Walrus posted:

Yeah Dynamic Link is cool, but what's important is to use the method that you're comfortable and quick with. I like using Dynamic Link, but maybe it's not something the OP is familiar with. To each their own, many ways to go about it!

Haven't used it in years but literally every time I tried to use dynamic link, it hosed up. I guess that's one of the many reasons I never got into After Effects - I got so jaded by the linking between it and Premiere that I just do absolutely everything I can to create all straps, basic gfx etc. within the latter.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
For God's sake BlackMagic, just give me a box camera with built-in NDs and auto focus and I will give you all my money. Stop doing nearly everything right, but not quite right enough!

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Alright thread, I want to take colour grading to the next level and need a decent grading monitor that won't completely bankrupt me like the DM220.

Any good options for mainly web delivery to Vimeo / YouTube? Was thinking maybe doing the C1 / C2 calibrate setup but that might be a bit too much hassle. Have checked out the Eizo Coloredge range, but again, it's pretty expensive.

Any second hand or older model FSIs or similar I should keep an eye out for?

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
The more you gently caress with audio, the worse it can get so unfortunately I would suggest manually mixing tracks and adding effects at the end. Resolves Voice Isolation in Fairlight is 100 times better than Premieres Noise Reduction effect imo. One could say, it's black magic....

I would never automate cutting, ducking audio or anything like that personally though. Manual control over the timeline all the way.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Short answer:

Avid if you want to do paid work in film & TV.

Premiere if you want to do paid work for more short-form, web based content companies.

Resolve if you're just dipping your toes into editing for yourself and / or want a capable NLE for free.

Personally, I think Resolve is what you're after. It is INSANE that they have a free version that effectively does 70-80% of what the studio version can do.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

BonoMan posted:

The best thing about Resolve is having grading, audio an vfx right there in just separate tabs. SO freakin' nice.

Yes to all except VFX because Fusion is not a friendly experience.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Captain Log posted:

I grabbed DaVinci’s program, and was pleased to open up something that looked familiar. I was able to do some very basic dicking around.

Before I start learning bad habits, as I’m prone to figuring stuff out the long way if nobody tells me any better, is there a recommend YouTube channel for learning the program?

Casey Faris, Darren Mostyn, Creative Video Tips and Mr Alex Tech should have you covered.

Learn shortcuts and remap the keyboard if you want to. Get a second pair of eyes on your stuff when you've done your first semi-decent drafts, be judicious with your cuts.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Captain Log posted:

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.

I'm sure I'll be back here with some profoundly stupid questions in no time!

I do have one question about a specific "effect" in an old Cee-Lo video - Closet Freak. I should have it queued up to where the video is rapidly flipping back and forth between him and another man dancing in black suits on a white background, and vice versa, flipping back and forth rapidly. This has stuck with me for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8krxhNgVhvU&t=156s

This is something like twenty years old. But even at the time, it was going for a janky retro vibe. But was that flipping back and forth done with a preloaded effect, or was some poor editor having to splice 1/10th second clips back to back for a couple of days?

This looks like it was shot twice with the blacks and whites of the shirts, suits and background reversed, with identical or near identical framing then the editor just switched between the two every 2 frames. That takes no time at all to actually do in edit, you don't need special effects or a plug in at all.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

thunderspanks posted:

Ok- a project I started for my partner as a Christmas gift was taking dozens of family VHS home movies going back to the early 80s and digitizing, cleaning up, and upscaling for modern displays. Many many hours and terabytes of disk space later and it went over like gangbusters. A secondary benefit of this project was access to lots of TV tapings and more interestingly, the commercials contained in them. I've decided to start a youtube channel for them, which is where I'm getting to the real question of this post.

I'm trying to be pro-active about managing hard drive space, but have hit a small road block. Here's a simplified version of my situation with Premiere:

I have a project, called Assembly. In my clip bin, I have one 4-hour master clip called "Tape A"- this is the full rip of 1 VHS.

In my timeline, I have 50 clip edits sourced from Tape A, totaling 30 minutes. The remaining 3.5 hours of Tape A is of no benefit to me and can be discarded.

The clips in my timeline have been renamed by hand to reflect their contents. eg. "Sports Illustrated: Dick Butkus, Christmas 1986 ". This part is important not only for organization and avoiding duplicates, but also as a reference for when I start dropping in timeline markers to chapter everything in youtube.***

What I would love to do at this point would be to export the timeline clips while maintaining the clip names I've specified in the timeline, so I can blow away the 400gb master file that I'm only using a fraction of. 50gb of properly named 'source' files that I can organize however I want is far more appealing to me than 1 giant half terabyte monster just eating up space. And that's just one tape. I have dozens.

Project manager, nesting and batch export, marking in/out and manually exporting, everything I've tried so far only ever references the "Tape A" name in the bin or requires a name to be typed in from scratch. If I gotta do it by hand then so be it, but given the sheer volume of clips I'm dealing with, extrapolated out to the collection of tapes as whole.. I hope I'm being clear on why I'm trying to save time on this one extremely monotonous part of the process. Just naming them the first time is wildly time consuming.

***if there's a way to make premiere drop a timeline marker at the head of a timeline clip using the name of the timeline clip I would be SO THRILLED

edit: I'm happy to re-assess my workflow if it looks like there's a more efficient way to approach, but if there's a plugin or something that'll do what I'm looking for, I'm willing to pay for it if it's reasonable.
this of any use?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/export-with-original-clip-names/m-p/8893988

"Just to add to this, if you select all the jobs in Media Encoder (Cmd/Ctrl + A), and then click the output name, and choose a folder, it will assign that folder to all the selected jobs, while retaining the original file names."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

thunderspanks posted:

Not quite, I'm looking to do the opposite; ignore the source clip name and instead use the name specified on the edited clip in the sequence.

Not gonna lie, this is a quite a headscratcher! I have never, ever renamed clips in the timeline but I'm also extremely stubborn and am curious to find a way to do what you've asked. I'll have a hunt around, see what I can dig up.