Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

.jpg posted:

How do I get a scale transformation to mimic something flying towards the camera at high speed (as in, increasing scale very slowly at first then very quickly in the last several frames)?

I've tried adjusting the interpolation curves but it still looks very unnatural. Is it some kind of exponential scaling? If so, how could I do this in After Effects?

I think you just have to right-click on the scale keyframes and change the keyframe interpolation to bezier. You can do amazing things like this http://i.somethingawful.com/u/garbageday/2013/phriday/911_star_wars/part_2/Schweinhund_11.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Soulex posted:

So I have a dilemma. I'm buying a new computer (MAC) tomorrow as there is a deal that any purchase for a computer over 800 bucks is interest free for a year. Since my main thing is going to be editing, would I be better off with a iMac or a Macbook Pro? I plan on doing a lot of editing by starting a youtube channel doing children's videos and stuff. Got the idea from my son who watches this poo poo ALL THE TIME and loses his goddamn mind when he can't do it. So it'll be connected to a studio in one of the rooms I have. One of those small table top light/studio kits.

So, iMac or Macbook Pro? Both have their benefits and drawbacks for me.

What types of videos do kids like on youtube? Just curious.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

You can use a tripod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNFmotpPP58

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Hurp Durp Master posted:

Whats the best place to start to learn after effects from scratch? I've made about a dozen videos on youtube for fun about video game bullshit and actually quite enjoy it, got a few hundred subs now. I'd really love to step up the quality and add some cool stuff to my videos. I'm keen to slog through a few dozen hours of tutorials if its the right source, willing to pay too if it comes to that. Any ideas on whats the best resource? thanks

You don't have to learn a million things at once. Just wait until you want to do a specific thing and find a tutorial that teaches you how to do it. Eventually you'll learn a lot of different stuff.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I don't have Photoshop or After Effects installed right now but in Photoshop I would try Median Filter. It "blurs" the image without actually making it look blurry. It could remove the highlights from the car so it's a lot less noticeable. It seems to be called "median effect" in After Effects.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Windows Movie Maker if you have windows which apparently is now Story Remix in the Photos app in Windows 10.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 24, 2018

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Get any decent video editor, you can find free ones here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_editing_software

Put the chess video on one layer and the talking head video on a layer above it and make it small and put it in the corner, then export the whole thing.

edit: some programs don't support layers. I know Openshot does and that's free and works on every OS.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 19, 2019

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Here's a working version, though I've left it unlisted for now because it's still a lot muddier than I would like. Mass conversion from .bmp to .jpg allowed for the source images to be imported to Resolve, from there it was relatively straightforward. Final output file is 700MB, so I suppose a considerable loss of quality is to be expected given a source material size of 100GB. I'm thinking a lot of that is because the rendering program is outputting the images in full color even though I only need grayscale in this case. I don't know the specifics of video encoding, but the idea of a computer having to output 30fps using source images that are each 6MB seems like a lot to ask. BMP to JPG conversion drops the images from ~6MB to ~2MB each but I'm hoping a further mass conversion from color to grayscale will drop the file size for individual frames and allow for greater preservation of detail in the final video.

the problem is probably because your video is very busy and it's hard to compress that type of video. Maybe try scaling it up to 4k.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

BisonDollah posted:

Has anyone here had experience transferring vhs footage to digital? I have this thing and tried it on 3 different VCR's, my laptop and PC. The instructions are printed on the smallest piece of paper going so I am struggling.

try opening VLC and there's an option for "open capture device". Pretty sure you could record it with VLC, if your computer detects the device

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Hey guys. Got a reference (thank you TVGM) from the software/hardware board. I ripped my parents old VHS tapes onto the PC and unfortunately the audio and the video is just a little out of sync. VLC correction shows that I just need to delay audio by a few miliseconds. Of course you can't save the video with the audio correction. These are old...grainy videos. Really don't need a sophisticated program to analyze these things and attempt to make them perfect. I was recommended DaVinci Resolve....but even this seems like overkill for what I'm trying to do.

Any simple solutions? Or should I just suck it up and learn how to use Resolve?

try avidemux

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

You should have a better title. You have to play the clickbait game. Also you should do recognizable buildings from pop culture if you want to get views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

This can isolate the vocals and audience with AI: https://vocalremover.org/ The quality is so-so but it might be useful as a reference track at least. That's the first one I googled, there might be better.