Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
This really isn't a tech or workflow question, but at the moment I'm stumped and I'm hoping I can get some ideas here: I'm supposed to edit a half hour mini-documentary for a corporate client that is basically about a road trip across America where artists are interviewed. It seems pretty straightforward, but after diving through 1tb of DSLR footage I find that there are:

-Almost no establishing shots of any locations that were visited
-Very little in the way of usable b-roll. Most shots suffer from horrendous rolling shutter issues or just plain not in focus

I don't really know how to tie anything together since I have next to nothing besides interviews and more interviews. I was thinking of maybe hiring an After Effects person to create an animated driving map, but that only goes so far. Should I look into buying stock footage for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If I was responsible for that poo poo I'd just kill myself, all the footage looks like it was shot on an 85mm lens and there's like zero sense of location in any of the shots, everything was shot at the highest ISO possible (hooray noise in daylight shots!), and the aforementioned rolling shutter and focus problems.

I didn't consider the stills of the artwork though - releases were signed by everyone interviewed, so I'm pretty sure I can get those.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I just got my 3.4ghz i7 iMac set up and oh my god is it fast. It ingests AVCHD/h.264 in FCP7 roughly as fast as the Nehalem-based Mac Pros I've worked with. I'm sure the current 12-core Mac Pros would spank the poo poo out of this iMac, but it is still a nice upgrade for me.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

http://imgur.com/7SiqC

Anybody have any idea what's going on here? I've had random glitches due to Lion + the Radeon 6970 2gb card, could this be why Color fails to display a proper proxy image here?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

ProRes LT.

Fortunately I have another computer that is still on Snow Leopard so I'll use that to grade the footage, but it's pretty annoying that Apple would ship a major OS release with some obvious problems that affect a huge portion of their user base.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah, what sucks is my friend bought his like 2 weeks before I did and I ended up with a machine shipping with Lion :(

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

My main client has access to this publisher: http://positionmusic.com/

I don't know how much they pay for licensing, but we have access to their entire production music library and it's pretty killer stuff if you need hip-hop, electro, or metal tracks (they've got a smattering of some other genres too).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Final Cut Studio is available for sale again, but not through any of the retail channels or online.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/01/apple-puts-legacy-final-cut-pro-studio-back-on-sale/

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I'm looking for a long term, redundant, and expandable storage solution for managing videos - about 50-70tb of new media for each year. What are my options here?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Uncompressed video is gigantic and difficult to playback unless you have some fast RAID arrays. Transcode to DNxHD 220 or a similar intermediate codec and work with that in Premiere.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I've tried trackballs. tablets, and touchpads and none of them have really worked out for me.

Learning more keyboard commands has made things much easier, but I still need a mouse for keyframing objects.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

They're too late - Resolve has been free for a while now and works with almost any post workflow.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I did the same thing in Premiere CS6 and the iMac's AMD 2gb 6970m - it's not supported in the list of OpenCL cards (only TWO Macbook Pro cards are on the official list), but if you edit the list it works perfectly.

I only wish there were more GPU accelerated effects - one thing that I do like about FCPX is the fact that there's a GPU accelerated shape mask and keyer that you can use for color grading (and with my GPU I can stack like 6 of them with realtime playback). In Premiere the closest I can get is to create a solid with a gradient using the Titler, then applying it on top of a clip and changing the blend mode. It works, but it seems really inelegant and slow compared to FCPX.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

What's your output bitrate?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I would say limit it to 5000 kbps for that frame size.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I have to wonder about people who grade in After Effects - I can't think of a slower and less intuitive way to grade a lot of shots, yet I know a lot of editors who color primarily in AE.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Basically I don't know why more people don't use Resolve since it's free and multiplatform.

Well I kind of know why, a lot of people have weird workflows where they color as they edit and you can roundtrip a clip from Premiere to AE and back, but it seems so inefficient to me. Get your edit locked down, then do your effects and sound and color after the fact.

FCPX lets you do the whole grade as you edit thing - the built-in color interface is decent and gives you seemingly endless secondaries. Too bad there isn't a native curves plugin, but at least you can export to Resolve.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You could always record in 24 and then speed up playback to 25 for PAL regions.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

My advice to you - disable all the auto rendering poo poo in FCPX. A lot of people claim it's efficient and poo poo, but in my experience every crash I've ever had was related to the auto-render failing to properly pause when I went back to work. Besides, there's really no point when I'm trying to edit all this native DSLR footage, it just takes extra space.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah, when you ingest footage you can tell it not to create optimized (Prores) or proxy (Prores Proxy) media and it will just rewrap any MXF and MTS files into a Quicktime wrapper.

Assuming that you have a decent OpenCL card (which I think your Radeon is) you should be able to playback a few streams of video without rendering, and color correction/secondary masks all play in real time. Some third-party plugins even work with GPU acceleration - I have a lovely s-curve plugin that works without rendering.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

What is your budget like? If your only experience in post is editing in FCP, you're not going to be able to jump in and create a 15 minute video complete with kinetic type and other frills. Hire someone who knows what they're doing and then reap all the credit when people are blown away by the finished product.

Blow them away by producing something awesome, not by trying to DIY your way through the entire thing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I would cut AE and Speedgrade out of your workflow and just roundtrip from Premiere to DaVinci Resolve Lite and back. Speedgrade doesn't even have curves adjustments.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Pro Tools is the best.

I could never get into Logic because setting up instruments was just absolutely bewildering to me, whereas you can set up tracks with a couple clicks in Pro Tools. I know this isn't relevant to audio editing from a video context, but Pro Tools just felt more intuitive to me.

For FCP7 I think Soundtrack is actually a really viable option, and it roundtrips pretty easily.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You can do this with pretty much any NLE made in the last decade. Ones like iMovie or FCPX will have a more search-friendly UI, but any of them will let you tag subclips.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

BonoMan posted:

And Hover Scrub is absolutely amazing. Just move the mouse left to right over clips in your bin and their thumbnails scrub through the clips. So so useful for long shots.

In all honesty they should've integrated the Prelude functions into Premiere. FCPX's preview and metadata tagging are similar to Prelude but are built into the interface.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

After Effects and Motion both have typewriter generators that let you do this.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

iDVD has a feature where you can burn a movie without any menus. It's called OneStep DVD.

edit: oh wait I reread what you need. Basically you want a Powerpoint where each slide is a new video and requires user interaction to advance to the next slide/video. I'm pretty sure Keynote can do this, but Powerpoint for sure can do this.

If it has to be a DVD, I'm pretty sure it's possible to program a DVD with no visible menus and very few functions (stop, play next) in DVD Studio Pro. But it's been a while since I made something like that. You can always just create a buffer like you said and burn a OneStep DVD in iDVD.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 4, 2012

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You should be able to edit XF300 footage natively - FCPX will just rewrap the MXF files into a Quicktime wrapper. http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/blogs/2012/20120224_xf_plugin_fcp_x.shtml

Your other problems sound hardware related, since I've never had issues mixing media types in FCPX or PP CS6.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah I think so, you'd want to be paying attention to the scopes to make sure they meet whatever the broadcast requirements are for lift, gain and gamma. As far as I know you only need the actual hardware that displays your scopes and waveforms.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

There's actually things about the FCP7 interface that I still prefer over Premiere, but performance is so lovely on modern hardware that it's just not worth it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Gunjin posted:

Mainly it's the Razor tool doesn't snap to the edit point in Adobe. It's not a huge deal, but it's annoying.

Yeah that annoys the poo poo out of me, I also feel like the UI is a bit laggy even on good hardware (mind, I'm running CS6 with OpenCL). It doesn't feel as fast or responsive (and again I'm just talking about the physical experience of editing and not rendering or previews) as FCPX, though it does a lot more.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I prefer Red Giant Denoiser since the interface is more automated, but Neat Video is really good if you're picky about what detail you want to retain.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

AA is for Quitters posted:

What would be the best place for someone who's been entirely self-taught to start? Good resources? I've been plowing through the tutorials on adobe.com, but still produce things like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLK5EF4JQMs (not my work, but since we air that I had it easily accessible.) which doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look....good, either. Everything I do just looks low-budget and I want it to not look low budget after I'm done rendering and recording back onto DV. So where would be the best place to learn that?

This looks bad because the footage mostly sucks. If your AE work looks similar to this spot, I would say there's a lot more work that needs to be done in the directing and editing and the motion graphics look mostly okay. I don't really like the typography, but I think it matches the client's branding (which sucks and looks terrible) so there's not much more to be done.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Soylent Green posted:

Firstly it's still best to convert to ProRes I find, not for quality but for efficiency reasons. I know the initial conversion is a pain but the actual editing process tends to be much smoother. FCPX and CS6 do both handle things like H.264 natively better than their predecessors but it's still noticeably slower than ProRes.

This is not even remotely true if your edit system has hardware acceleration. Ingesting and editing native h.264 into Premiere or FCPX is just as seamless as ProRes. Last night I edited a 4-angle multicam in FCPX and didn't transcode to ProRes - editing was silky smooth and I didn't notice any dropped frames or lag in the UI. This is on a 2011 iMac - if I had a real workstation I imagine I could probably do something like 20 angles with no UI lag.

I only transcode if I know the files are going to go through more than one generation of encodes (for work in AE and/or Resolve).

Break Fast posted:

Alright, I see what you are saying concerning the smoothness of editing in ProRes. GOP is known to be clunky, yes, but what would be the alternative for a person without any access to OSX based machinery? Just take Adobe's word and hope for the best or is there a way to convert footage to a proper file standard on PC as well?

Concerning the FCP7. Isn't it way behind CS6 in terms of processing/rendering speeds using Open CL and CUDA/Mercury Engine? Knowing Apple, they would stop supporting newest hardware for their older software products normally. Is this the case here as well?

1)Avid and DNxHD would be the PC equivalent.
2)FCP7 is a dinosaur when it comes to actual working speed vs. FCPX and PP CS6. There's a 2gb RAM limitation and there's very little that actually gets hardware accelerated by the GPU. I do miss the interface of FCP7 (which does not really get replicated in CS6 except in superficial ways), but even if we were to take render speed out of the equation I think that Premiere and FCPX are just much faster to edit on. FCPX in particular is my go-to choice if I need something done very quickly.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

FCPX is faster and I suspect it's because whoever designed the UI actually spent months in making sure that common tasks were done quickly and efficiently.

I did a job last week where the client wanted to have a same-day edit of an industry convention, and the whole thing was basically done on FCP7. While transcoding to Prores was a bitch and a half, just plain editing was MUCH faster than Premiere CS6. I can't even quite put my finger on it, but the way the timeline and bins behave is so much nicer than in Premiere - it's very snappy compared to the clunky Adobe interface. FCPX takes this same ease and adds a lot of speed and an even more streamlined interface.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The thing is, if you need something faster than Media Composer you're going to be better off using FCPX since the keyboard editing is very intuitive and it's easier to get edits on specific frames if you're using any of the mouse-driven tools. Premiere is just very clunky and while the interface looks very modern it edits like something from 2001.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Heh, I kind of stumbled into the same process because it was taking me forever to go through a large project.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yip Yips posted:

Is there a way to make Premiere ignore certain audio/video tracks when snapping?

Yeah, on the left side of the timeline you can click on video/audio tracks and the playhead will snap to edits along any of the highlighted tracks.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Video 1 and Audio 3 are the only tracks that are highlighted or active in the panel, and the playhead ONLY snaps to edit points on those tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I'm using CS6 on Mac, if that makes any difference.