Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I've recently gotten myself a GoPro and have a bit of a project idea I'd like to use it for, but I'm not sure what software would be best suited for what I want to do. Not sure if this is the best thread for this but hopefully those more plugged into the whole editing scene might know what I'm looking for (if it even exists).

I ride a bike to work sometimes, and would like to make a video compilation of cool/beautiful/interesting things seen on many rides over a the course of a full year. Thing is, ride is about 30 mins, and on each ride, only see a few interesting things, and the rest is rather mundane.

This results in quite a lot of footage that is mostly boring, but peppered with interesting bits that I will never be able to remember/find again without some way to catalog and search for them.

What I would like to be able to do is find a piece of software that will enable me to make searchable tags tied to particular times in the videos. I would like to be able to come home, scrub through the footage to find things I remembered were cool, and tag them with keywords I can use to search for and find the appropriate clips (and times within them) to put into video projects at a later date.

As an example, at one point the route parallels train tracks, and sometimes a train syncs up really nicely. I'd like to be able to drop a tag ("train") on a clip at the appropriate time, then file it away. Later on I'd like to be able to search the whole archive of footage for "train", and get a list of all the clips containing it and the timecode of the scene so I can pull it into the editing software easily.

Hopefully there is a thing like this that exists... Thanks for your assistance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

Also Adobe Prelude, which I've only just started using to log and ingest clips, has a nice commenting/tagging/subclipping system that carries over seamlessly to Premiere when you get ready to edit.

Here's a screen shot of the short I'm editing...you can see where I made a comment (the green line on the clips in the timeline) in Prelude. This is from Premiere though. When I brought it in the clips automatically carried their comments with it which is nice. Because I'd look back and go "oh poo poo I totally forgot you can see the camera in the reflection in this shot!"

This one is perfect, thank you!