Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
In Final Cut Pro X, if you have a giant audio track laid down in a channel, and you put video tracks over the top of it for editing, how do you prevent the video tracks from automatically sticking to the position of the audio track? Separate audio track, not the recorded audio on the clip itself.

Basically, in a music video, I have the song on one channel. If I try to scoot clips around in the timeline, they stick to each other instead of getting pushed around. I want (for example) to be able to have two video clips next to each other, and when I add another clip in between them, the clips shove over to make room, instead of it adding the new clip on a different channel since there isn't enough room in between the existing clips.

It does it fine when there's no audio track underneath, but as soon as one is added, it seems to make the rest of the clips stick to it and I have to manually adjust the frame-by-frame timing of every single clip, which is a pain in the rear end.

I basically want each channel to act independently of the channels above or below it. I believe what I'm asking to do is to be able to remove the connections from the tracks?

This is wrong. This should all be on one channel. These clips get shoved above because they're not the right length. I don't give a poo poo about different tracks, I want the clips to move themselves like there is only one track they can fit on. Everything should snap.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm a sound designer, not an editor, so I know what the similar terms are.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a video that I'm working on, but the source files are tens of thousands of one frame .tga image files. I drop them in to final cut, set them all as one frame duration, and everything is fine.

The problem is, that I can't work with all of those, as they take up too much disk space, and Final Cut just hangs whenever I work with them. So, I want to re-render them as a video file, the re-import it back into Final Cut for editing.

However, since I'm doing two renders (the image > movie and the movie > edited finished movie), I don't want to lose too much quality in the video I'm working with, if I can help it. How should I format my exported video? Is there a big difference in the codecs?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

thehustler posted:

Can you convert the images to something else? FCP really doesn't like certain image files, you get all sorts of problems, most notably out of memory errors for absolutely no reason that I can fathom.

That's what I'm trying to do. Render the images out as a movie, and then re-import that movie into Final Cut and work with it instead. But I will have to render twice to do this, so I need to know how I should be rendering the first time so I don't get a hideous-looking double-encode.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can Final Cut do things like apply an effect on only part of the screen using masking, and also take a part of the video and zoom it in a "picture-in-picture" fashion?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

1st AD posted:

I'd have to see an example of the 2nd effect, but you can duplicate a video clip and place it on an above track, crop the top clip, then use a mask and apply an effect on it.

"Detective, take a look at this footage."

"What's that poo poo in the corner?"

"Enhance it!"

*tiny box grabs screen element and enlarges it over the screen*

"Oh poo poo it's The Bad Guy at the scene of the crime!"

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a 1440p video file that will become a 1080p project. In FCPX, how do I stabilize video strictly in the vertical such that it allows me a 1080p framing?

Essentially, I want to slice out 1080p worth of 1440p video, but in a way that stabilizes the source in the vertical direction.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Narzack posted:

Thanks for this. I'm trying to figure it all out, but when I export a final product, and I want the highest quality, what should I be looking for, codec wise?

H.264 if you want people to be able to play it, ProRes if you’re sending it for further postproduction or getting DVD’s made or something.

FWIW, I export my finished products as a high-quality H.264 in a mov or mp4 container.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Final Cut question I can't find anywhere:

I have video footage on a network volume. Is there a way to leave the files in place but 'import' proxy copies to my computer for local editing, and then have the final render come from the media on the network volume?

Basically, can I somehow create a local proxy media that's 'linked' to source media from a network volume, and edit as if I was accessing the footage locally? Is that what the proxy media does for network storage?

e: One other final cut question. I record in 1440 but work in 1080. Is there a way to have Final Cut automatically stabilize but only in the vertical direction?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a tutorial somewhere on color correcting underwater footage with a red filter on? I went diving with a GoPro (with a Backscatter red/orange filter) and I'm trying to figure out the best method to color correct.

I can color correct pretty easily until around 40 feet where sunlight reaches, but much of my footage is at 80-100 feet. I didn't use an external light so I'm in the "as good as I can get it" method of color correction.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 3, 2022