Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

yeah, auto white balance with stage lighting is a nightmare waiting to happen. i will also say that having a color chart on hand when shooting is a life saver, too. you can get them for like $15 on B&H, and as long as you get a quick shot whenever you change camera settings, not only can you use the dropper for quick and easy white balance, but different cameras are much easier to match too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i agree with everyone saying manually is the way to go (and as a side effect will prevent most phasing issues) but if you reeeeally want it to happen automatically, you might be able to slap a compressor on the audience mic and sidechain it to the talent mic with a fast attack, medium release, and no makeup gain. that'll depend on how clean the talent mic is, and it probably won't be much more effective than an autoduck plugin unless you fiddle with it a bunch, but it's another option.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

does anyone know if there's a good way in pro tools to create several tracks from presets at the same time with one button combo?

i do sound design & mixing for several different projects and i have them most of them set up with templates that i just import dialogue into and work from there. one project is just dialogue mixing, tho, and it's been significantly faster to just open the omf directly, hit cmd-shift-N three times, and select the preset tracks i need from the drop down menus full of all the ones i've already built. i'm wondering if there's an easy way to create those three tracks at once rather than individually with the current triple tap & menu digging, but googling it just gives me a bunch of stuff about the basics of creating track presets.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

ah, yeah, i figured what i want probably doesn't exist but maybe there was a chance since i'm still constantly learning new things about pro tools even after using it for years. case in point, your tip! one of the projects i do in particular would benefit a ton from that, but i've never thought to even look for something like that because none of my other projects need it. thank you!