Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Happened yesterday, but I got to go to the Wait, Wait....Don't Tell Me recording. It was absolutely hilarious and even the callers made some good jokes. If you listen (and the joke actually makes it onto the air) you may even be able to hear me because I was almost literally the only person that laughed at a pretty brutal Franken joke that Sagal made. I haven't laughed that much in a long time.

And I got to hear Paula Poundstone tell a story about how one of her cats peed in her ear once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Forceholy posted:

Who is PCOS Bill?

He besmirched Kat Denning's boobs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Langosta Whiteman posted:

My day was awesome today because I got this cool gift from my girlfriend (sorry for crappy phone photos)

It's a dvd of a live performance by Heaven & Hell at Radio City. What I didn't know was that it was the coolest most awesome gift I have ever received ever and probably for the rest of my days because

it's signed by :regd10: himself!

Put a goddamned ring on that woman's finger.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So the red one is for fire and the white one is for....snow?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Thin Privilege posted:

The white one is only for liquids (like gas) and electric, whereas the red one is for liquids, electric, and paper/wood/trash. Different chemicals. You can see it on the bottles in the pictures.

Liquids aren't gas. By definition.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh! See, I thought only the container that held gasoline was flammable (since I always see those stickers on them even if there isn't any gasoline in them). That makes sense to have a special fire extinguisher just for gasoline containers then.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I loving won Xmas! Took my nephew, dad, and brother in law to the Bears game (it was my nephew's first pro football game). Bought my niece a real pink cash register (with keys! {she's big into having keys right now}) so we could play store for real. Made the lasagne for our dinner (my mom made the lechon and black beans and rice.) Scared my dad with a fake snake in his present. Got my sister a spa day so she could get some time away for herself. And framed my grandfather's war medal with a picture of him and my grandma as a gift to my mom (that was a joint effort by me and my dad).

I'm not usually a good person, but I am a good son/brother/uncle.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 08:18 on Dec 25, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I got a date with a woman I've had a serious thing for since I was basically 17. I haven't been nervous for a first date in decades, but I'm all antsy and couldn't sleep. The best part is she knew me back when I was a massive rear end in a top hat piece of poo poo, so I don't have to worry about her finding out about that part of my life. I really hope this works out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Spinster posted:

omg. Post what happens please.

Well...

Solice Kirsk posted:

Had a date with a woman that I've basically loved for almost two decades. Everything went great (we've been friends the entire time), but when we kissed for the first time it felt really awkward and weird for me, and I just can't get past it. We tried a bit more, but it just felt like I was messing around with a relative or something. We're too good of friends to move forward, but she doesn't feel that way and still wants to pursue a romantic relationship. I think I'm hosed and not in a good way. She convinced me to give it one more shot, so we're hanging out again tomorrow, but I know myself very well and I'm going to be just as uncomfortable with any physical affection with her.

I've never had this happen before so it's really confusing and I'm too old for stupid poo poo like this. I'm pretty sure if we move forward with trying to sleep together tomorrow there's going to be no going back to being friends again. Then again I think that may have already happened the other night because no one likes hearing "this....this just isn't working" in the middle of going down on someone.

I'm gonna lose this friendship. I know it. I still don't know if it was worth taking the shot or not. Maybe I can convince her that this wasn't a good idea and we're too good of friends to ruin it by trying to force something.

Also, I didn't get a promotion I was up for, am being transferred to another location which means I have to start my book of business all over again, and one of my friends tried to kill himself (fourth time apparently wasn't a charm) with sleeping pills again. Just a lot of poo poo on my plate and I'm gonna have to eat it.

Bleh.

And I didn't go through with trying to sleep with her again. She's not too happy about any of this, but I think we'll be OK.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Spinster posted:

Thanks for the info. Huh. You'd think you would know before if there was no way. The one guy I was friends with first (for around 5 years) it was really weird the first few times we kissed, I felt awkward and his lips were like cold :wth: BUT I powered through it because I knew he was a good guy and the awkwardness dissipated in around a week or two maybe. We had a decent 6 months until he went back to his wife and I made his life a living hell at work for another 6 months for that.

But this is the awesome day thread so good to hear the friendship may survive. Sorry about work, ughh.

Yeah, it kind of blindsided me too. My buddy from out of town surprised us and came into town today, so heading out on the city in a good old fashioned bender tonight! Going to a burlesque show and everything! Nothing can cheer someone up faster than a bunch of thick naked women!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Last night I got to hang out with a really old friend that I haven't seen since he went to prison! It was like picking up right where we left off, no awkward reacquaintance stuff or anything like that. I missed him a lot more than I realized and I'm glad he's out and has settled down like the rest of us. My old group is starting to come back together, only older and calmer, and I loving love it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

NASA scientists wrote a paper about some of my acquaintances who are part of a local aurora enthusiast group I'm in. I'm so loving happy for them even though I'm kicking myself for not going to that particular meetup where they realized they discovered a whole new type of aurora.

http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/3/eaaq0030.full

That's really awesome! Steve must be absolutely beaming!

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Mar 18, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Not today, but yesterday and the day before it.

Spent the weekend with my niece and nephew (and sister and brother-in-law, but don't really care much about that). I got to dye eggs and showed them how to make the eggs have swirls and designs on them. Got to watch them search for their Easter Baskets and they both shared some of their Resses Peanut Butter Cups with me. Had a big awesome home cooked dinner with my brother-in-law's side of the family so I finally got to meet a bunch of people my niece and nephew talk about.

Came home with pounds of ham, potato salad, chess pie, pasta salad, this weird pistachio and whipped cream dessert, and about a half dozen deviled eggs. Also my manager made me a big bowl of what may be the best collard greens I have ever had in my entire life. This entir week is going to be nothing but eating good left overs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just got promoted at work. Came as a total surprise to be honest. My entire commission structure is going to change and my focus is going to be on an entirely different demographic. I'm good with regular people and people that are on their way towards having a ton of money, but I'm nervous about only dealing with multimillionaires. A dude with visible tattoos and a (small) face scar doesn't really scream "banker." But I guess the higher ups think I'm good enough so I took it. Hasn't really hit me yet. I'm gonna have to buy all new suits.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Apr 5, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

My job is massaging higher profile musicians and their crews at one of the biggest and most specialized rehearsal buildings in the world. Earlier today I worked on one of the top musicians in America, and I can't go into too much detail because of the clause obviously but there is a possibility I will end up going on tour with them. Super surreal and I don't think I'm even really processing it or the idea of how it will work at the moment

Negotiate a per diem for food. Eating out every night for weeks at a time adds up quickly.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

Considering the dancers and band members are stoked about meal time I don't think that will be a thing that's in the cards

So because they want to eat you can't get a per diem? I'm not following your logic here. Is the record company hiring you or the group's company directly?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

Specifically the group, and I found out today that meals are included but generally through the hotels we are booked at

That's awesome! Live it up while you're traveling! Maybe they'll hire you on full time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Was this it?

Ha, I just drank this like last weekend. Isn't it like 8%?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just downloaded Double Dribble.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The new ohGr album is awesome. It's never what I expect, but I'm always happy with it. Reminds me of The Process mixed with Welt. Pretty catchy for an ohGr album.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I took a promotion I was worried I wasn't ready for a couple months ago and it just felt like I was getting eaten alive by all the other people that were starting to poach my book of business (not only externally, but internally as well). My upper management basically told me it was sink or swim time and that this is what it was gonna be like in the big leagues. It just really felt like I had made a huge mistake because I was making just barely more than I was, but now I was dealing with tons more stress and way more visibility. This was the first month I finally felt like I had steady ground under my feet and everything started clicking.

Today things I'd been working on began closing and I've officially made more in this one month than I did the last three months combined. Next month is looking even better and August is shaping up to be a potential career changer. I still hate my job, but sometimes money does make things better. At least for now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My mom found the watch my grandad bought for me when I was a kid. I know I didn't like it as a kid, but now I can't wait to get it back. I thought I lost it in one of my many many moves, so this was a great surprise.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's the second day of the month and I've already hit my sales quota. Plus I got a surprise four day weekend today. PLUS, I'm going on a second date/two day trip with a woman I've only known for three hours.

It's been a long time since I've rolled the dice like that, so I'm looking forward to either having a good time or having my kidneys stolen.

And my buddy from Texas is visiting when I get back. I really need this time off, so it's pretty great.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gonna be honest, those seem like very important phrases to know.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I forgot that our bank will be closed the day of Christmas :downs: so I had to tell Mom a bit early that the entire reason I'd been so adamant about saving up a minimum of a thousand dollars before the new year, was so I could give it to her to cover the rent for January.

I don't think I've ever seen her look quite so bewildered. She kept asking if I was sure, and didn't I have other people I had to get things for, and so on and so forth. Yes, mom, I'm sure. This is what I saved it for. Use your money to get caught up on your other bills and loans and such. Let someone else worry about the rent just once.

You're a good kid.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Got the position I applied for a month ago. Should really open up some doors for me. Not literal doors, but by doors I mean opportunities for advancement in my career.

A true gentleman of a job would open the literal door for you as well.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mikl posted:

This is cross-posted from another thread, but I wanted to share it here too because I'm having a loving awesome day.

Today is my birthday. My first birthday as myself.

I'm having lunch with my parents, then meeting up with friends for drinks and dinner tonight.

Oh, and I got a couple dozens birthday wishes from people I know. Just reading the string of "Happy birthday Zoe" makes me tear up.

Exactly three years ago, I decided I had to do something about my dysphoria, and set up an appointment with a psych to discuss things. There's been some hiccups along the way, but here I am. Three years down the line, everyone knows I'm a girl and accepts me as such.

I have come so far. If you'd told the me from three years ago I would get to this point, she'd have called your crazy. And yet I'm here.

I'm so blessed to be alive, and excited for the next years to come.

Congrats and happy birthday Zoe!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Got offered a job that pays more and has a better schedule than my current one. But I just completed an expensive training for my current job so I’m trying to decide to just leave or use the new offer/training to get a better deal where I’m at, which in fairness is not s bad job by any stretch

Nothing stopping you from doing both.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I made an offer on a condo and it was accepted. Inspection is tomorrow and already going through attorney review. Financing is basically secured since I'm going through my own bank. Set to close June 3rd, but may actually move it up because I don't know if I wanna wait another month to actually get everything done. Gonna feel good to actually own my own place and getting over some of my commitment issues is a pretty big step for me. Feeling pretty good about myself right now!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Got approved for my home loan.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My salary just got switched over to hourly. I have no idea why they thought this would be good idea, but they did it. I spend about 50 hours a week in the office, so I just got a raise for doing nothing. Granted my salary is stupidly low compared to my commissions each month, but I love the fact that they're gonna start paying me for how long I'm at work each day.

I honestly don't know why people think hourly wages are somehow less prestigious than a salary.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's like a gift you give your hemorrhoid!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

One of my homeless clients who has been struggling with MS for years and years finally got approved for housing and treatment today. He's been really struggling a lot recently so this news is loving amazing. I came about as close to crying at my job as I probably ever will when we got to change his address from the shelter to his new apartment.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I finally got to terminate the business relationship with one of my hands down most annoying, entitled, assholish clients. To give you some perspective on just how much of a pain in the rear end this woman was, a financial institution just said "nah, your $11m dollars isn't worth us dealing with you anymore." One of my favorite phone calls I ever got to make. Basically said, "You have until the end of business today to come get your check or the bank is going to over night it to you on Wednesday."

I wish I could go into detail about all the poo poo this woman has tried to pull over the years (I've only dealt with her for the last year, but I got stories upon stories of her). I just feel bad for whatever banker thinks they just hit a homerun when she comes walking into their office with a few giant checks. Boor bastard, they don't know what they're in for.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Aug 22, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mild awesome but my Uber driver picked me up blasting 1000 Homo DJ's Supernaut. Totally made my day. I'm gonna buy him a beer at the PWEI show on Thursday if we see each other.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm incredibly sick and my boss sent me home with out me having to beg. Got home at about 12pm and woke up just a bit ago. My vacation is coming up at the end of the week, so getting sick now worked out really well.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Astrofig posted:

Something is finally going right for me.I found out I can withdraw from my 401k (at the company I don't work for anymore) and it will more than cover my debt and allow me to actually save up towards a car and keep paying for my schooling. Also I found out about Stella, the dog who can apparently communicate via recorded answer buttons and it made me so happy.

Here's video of her in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtxBxLiZRco

Just remember you're probably gonna be paying taxes/penalties on your withdrawals so account for those as well.

Also consider rolling over the remaining into an IRA so you're not paying 401k service fees. Pretty much all the main brokerage houses have free Trad IRA accounts with free trades now.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 05:50 on Nov 6, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

A tabletop game that I started developing in 2014 is going to be out the door soon. A good chunk of that time was life getting in the way, but still

Can I get a link when it's released? I wanna have a SA based game night with a couple of friends, but the only one I have is Sword of the Bastard Elf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've always heard "someone walked over my grave." No ghosts or goose or ghost geese.