Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Blue On Blue posted:

I could get a completely fully specc'd out C63, or probably even venture into E/S63 territory if I gave up some options.

Thoughts?
How big of a car do you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Shrapnig posted:

AMG is doing a full revamp of the brand in 2021/for model year 2021 so I'm going to put my AMG GT dream on hold for a year. AWD is definitely going to be a thing and they're also talking about hybrid engines.

Murgos posted:

Any details? I知 shopping now so if I should wait 8 months...
The new GLS63 and GLE63 use the 4.0 V8 with the electric assist system and electric compressor from the *53 engine.

The rumor about the C63 getting a hybrid 4 cylinder seems to have been a case of broken telephone. The current V8 is based on the M133 4 cylinder. AMG is developing a new V8 based on the M139 4 cylinder. The C63 will be the first, or one of the first, cars to get this new engine and it's going to be equipped with the *53 hybrid system and an electric compressor.

The AMG GT R Black series will also most likely be using the same new engine.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tremek posted:

What pcar are you looking at?

Either slightly older 911 or newer / new cayman gts / gt4

Basically 2 seater territory

But if it was Mercedes it would be a 63 coupe or sedan

Basically I want a car I can take to the track during the summer and drive daily otherwise

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

For even semi-serious track work a Mercedes (save an AMG GT) isn稚 going to be as at home on a track as any of those Porsches you池e considering. I知 on my 3rd AMG but still lust for a special Porsche someday.

Most AMGs are fast GTs - great highway cars with tons of power and can turn fairly well too, but they池e heavy and under-braked for sustained road course style tracks.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

AMG in the streets, pcar in the uhh, track.

I agree with Tremek.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
My S65 has massive rotors, but they're not in the same league as the ones on my Z06, which weighed a ton less. Perfectly fine for hauling the car down for a highway exit, but shouldn't be pushed on the track.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ok so I値l stick with my first thought

Mind you when I say track use we might be talking a few times a year , after all it would still be a Daily

With the Benz I could at least get a butt massage while tracking it

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

Tremek posted:

I have no idea. Does it have real height adjustment? I think the transmission is in Sport and so is ABC? My plan is to have the mechanic lower it with STAR etc. a bit

Theres a guy on the w221 facebook group that sells a thing u plug into obd2 that will apparently slam it as much as possible without limiting driveability.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Preoptopus posted:

Theres a guy on the w221 facebook group that sells a thing u plug into obd2 that will apparently slam it as much as possible without limiting driveability.

I don稚 know why, but I find this absurdly funny.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Humbug posted:

Since no one is getting on this, ill add my two cents. The E class in its basic form is seen as very reliable here in Europe at least. The 220 diesel E class is still the car of choice for most taxi drivers who can choose whatever car they like, and for them an unreliable car is lost income as licenses are tied to cars where I live. However reliability seem to suffer when complexity and power go up where an AMG model is going to be expensive to maintain, and not all that reliable. The 350 apparently uses a turbo 2 litre 4-cylinder engine producing 300hp. I'd call that fairly high strung, but not unusual these days. Volvo do the same thing, but are apparently suffering with reliability as a consequence.
The E is not that reliable :ssh: they just have taxi kitted cars available on loan when your own E breaks down, it's complete marketing (or used to be) exercise. They're better than what they used to be, tho wrt rust and biodegradable wiring looms.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Kivi posted:

The E is not that reliable :ssh: they just have taxi kitted cars available on loan when your own E breaks down, it's complete marketing (or used to be) exercise. They're better than what they used to be, tho wrt rust and biodegradable wiring looms.

Eh. Statistically they last a long time. they are the second longest lasting brand here in Norway on the newest data I could find on average age when scraped.
  • Brand Age
  • Volvo 22,3
    Mercedes 21,1
    Toyota 19,9
    Mazda 19,8
    BMW 19,7
    Honda 19,6
    Audi 19,6
    Subaru 19,6
    Volkswagen 19,4
    Saab 19,3
    Mitsubishi 18,8
    Nissan 18,8
    Opel 18,7
    Ford 18,5
    Chrysler 18,0
    Peugeot 17,1
    Suzuki 16,9
    Citron 16,8
    Renault 16,4
    Hyundai 16,3
    Kia 15,1
    Skoda 15,0
You can argue that it doesn't reflect current quality, but the 20 years old cars still on the road matches the nadir in quality you talked about. I think Mercedes unreliability is overstated. Especially when I would think its the among the brands that gets the most KMs put on it every year.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 11, 2020

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Humbug posted:

Eh. Statistically they last a long time. they are the second longest lasting brand here in Norway on the newest data I could find on average age when scraped.
  • Brand Age
  • Volvo 22,3
    Mercedes 21,1
    Toyota 19,9
    Mazda 19,8
    BMW 19,7
    Honda 19,6
    Audi 19,6
    Subaru 19,6
    Volkswagen 19,4
    Saab 19,3
    Mitsubishi 18,8
    Nissan 18,8
    Opel 18,7
    Ford 18,5
    Chrysler 18,0
    Peugeot 17,1
    Suzuki 16,9
    Citron 16,8
    Renault 16,4
    Hyundai 16,3
    Kia 15,1
    Skoda 15,0
You can argue that it doesn't reflect current quality, but the 20 years old cars still on the road matches the nadir in quality you talked about. I think Mercedes unreliability is overstated. Especially when I would think its the among the brands that gets the most KMs put on it every year.
Oh, okay. I'm in the Eastern Europe (Finland) so I have had a chat about the cars with taxi drivers on re: why all the taxis are Mercs and the reason is basically that the deal is that there's free maintenance or a free car whenever yours' breaks down.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Kivi posted:

Oh, okay. I'm in the Eastern Europe (Finland) so I have had a chat about the cars with taxi drivers on re: why all the taxis are Mercs and the reason is basically that the deal is that there's free maintenance or a free car whenever yours' breaks down.

There is probably a bit of that as well. The Mercedes taxi infrastucture is in place. I don't think you can transfer licenses within a few days here, but I think there are service shops specifically for taxis that get you in and out very quickly. Almost all other taxis here are Toyotas, so I would think reliability is important.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 11, 2020

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

I don’t know why, but I find this absurdly funny.

https://youtu.be/5syqkcKrKF4

Shown is for airmatic but I talked to him and he says he can code for hydro as well.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
In the UK, Mercedes-Benz is currently the 30th most reliable company. When it comes to individual models, the E-class is more reliable than average (indexed @ 80. 100 is the average.). The variation is probably big between models.

Source: reliabilityindex.co.uk

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

MrOnBicycle posted:

In the UK, Mercedes-Benz is currently the 30th most reliable company. When it comes to individual models, the E-class is more reliable than average (indexed @ 80. 100 is the average.). The variation is probably big between models.

Source: reliabilityindex.co.uk

Not sure exactly how they get their numbers, but I've never paid much attention to reliability surveys, since they mostly seem to measure peoples expectations of cars rather than their actual reliability. Cheap econoboxes and budget brands always do well because people seem to expect them to die immediately, and then rave when they are decently reliable. Conversely, luxury cars are perceived to be perfect pinnacles of reliability, and their owners rage when anything goes wrong. That page seems to reflect that since their top 10 most reliable cars are all tiny cheap subcompacts and the Mitsubishi Lancer for some reason. The bottom 10 are all big sports/luxury cars. If you compare the mechanically almost identical Audi A3 and VW Golf, the A3 does significantly worse. It's the same in Norway where Skoda always outperform the other VAG brands significantly on reliability statistics. The higher parts and labor cost of luxury brands may make a difference as well.

I'm not gonna argue that a Mercedes will make the most financial sense or that they are all the most reliable cars ever, but I think they are better than their "lol german car" internet image suggests.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

67 w110 200d runs like a top, though the engine isn't original and has been rebuilt at least once; the chassis is past 400k, based on the records I have
77 w123 300d (original owner) cracked block at ~300k, new crate put in; misbehaving due to failed transmission but soontm to visit the mechanic
77 w123 300d cracked head at ~300k
79 w123 240d rod knock at ???k (estimated 350k)
84 w201 190d ~285k sounds like a rod knock or something equally unhappy, plus all the syncros are trash
85 w123 300dt ~275k turbo leak and poor fuel efficiency but kept going
85 w201 190d ~300k ran like a top before being totaled, and still seems to (going to transplant it into the other 190d)
85/86 w124 250d with an 87 300dt engine runs great ~150k on the engine, 230k on the chassis

mechanical diesel mercedes have longevity, I can't speak to any other variation of mercedes

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 14, 2020

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Humbug posted:

Not sure exactly how they get their numbers, but I've never paid much attention to reliability surveys, since they mostly seem to measure peoples expectations of cars rather than their actual reliability. Cheap econoboxes and budget brands always do well because people seem to expect them to die immediately, and then rave when they are decently reliable. Conversely, luxury cars are perceived to be perfect pinnacles of reliability, and their owners rage when anything goes wrong. That page seems to reflect that since their top 10 most reliable cars are all tiny cheap subcompacts and the Mitsubishi Lancer for some reason. The bottom 10 are all big sports/luxury cars. If you compare the mechanically almost identical Audi A3 and VW Golf, the A3 does significantly worse. It's the same in Norway where Skoda always outperform the other VAG brands significantly on reliability statistics. The higher parts and labor cost of luxury brands may make a difference as well.

I'm not gonna argue that a Mercedes will make the most financial sense or that they are all the most reliable cars ever, but I think they are better than their "lol german car" internet image suggests.

Please remember things are different outside of Europe. Cost of ownership can skyrocket when you池e not on the same continent where the brand is from/made.

Also I知 not sure your comparison between brands that share the same chassis makes sense either. Generally Euro cars have problems with electrical parts which I would think there are more of (see making things more complicated) on an Audi vs. a VW vs. a Skoda.

I would agree that the base model Mercs would generally be close to most other brands for reliability though.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I don't know about new parts but the mercedes classic center is pretty decent in terms of availability and price most of the time; often that includes waiting a week for the part to come from germany. Note the "most of the time" part of that; the rest of the time, the numbers quoted are eye-watering but it's usually for a part that is very rare for a car that's 40+ years old. I routinely get "they don't make it anymore and it's not in stock, plus it's list price is 500+ dollars .... but there's a rebuild kit in germany for 35 and it can be here next week".

Also, being a card carrying member of the mercedes benz club gets you a discount on parts :smug:.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 15, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Humbug posted:

They go by how much the cars break down as reliabilityindex is provided by a aftermarket warranty company. In other words, they have no interest in making a car seem more reliable than it is because it would mean that their numbers are wrong and the company loses money. No consumer expectation involved.

quote:

The Reliability Index figure is calculated as a combination of:
the number of times a car fails,
the cost of repairing it,
the average amount of time it spends off the road due to repairs
the average age and mileage of the vehicles we have on our books.

Warranty Direct, the company behind the Reliability Index, is able to reveal such valuable information because it pays out millions of pounds a year in car repair bills. The claims Warranty Direct handles provide the data that shows which cars are cheap to run and which are not.

Pretty good way to measure reliability IMO as opening up for consumer expectations / experiences is super subjective and in my opinion pretty useless as some people find a car unreliable because they have to deal with wear items. Complicated business to measure reliability of cars though.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Not sure if anyone here collects MB stuff, but plugging my SA Mart thread where I am unloading a MB Circle of Excellence 2020 book

SA Mart Thread

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Bought a 2016 C350e, my first Mercedes-Benz. Holy poo poo is it a nice car. I live really close to work so the tiny little PHEV battery is just enough to get me to and from work on weekdays without starting the engine. I feel like they could have found a better place for the charger port though (see the bumper on the second pic) - feels oddly afterthought-ish on a car that otherwise seems incredibly well thought out.

Really enjoying the ride, the comfort, the fact that Dynamic Select seems to make a pretty substantial difference to everything, and the oodles of torque. Haven't had a daily without AWD since I moved to Wisconsin so I decided to get a set of Enkeis shod with Continental VikingContact 7 SSR rubber and so far, haven't felt like it was much of a step down (in terms of traction from a stop) from my last Subaru on all-season rubber.

Something tells me this won't be my last MB, really loving it so far how the gently caress do i stop keyless go from bonging "Don't forget your key!" every time i open the loving door

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Petition to upgrayyed thread title to S65:

Tune and lower it an inch or something and I think I知 done.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

sarcastx posted:

Bought a 2016 C350e, my first Mercedes-Benz. Holy poo poo is it a nice car. I live really close to work so the tiny little PHEV battery is just enough to get me to and from work on weekdays without starting the engine. I feel like they could have found a better place for the charger port though (see the bumper on the second pic) - feels oddly afterthought-ish on a car that otherwise seems incredibly well thought out.

Really enjoying the ride, the comfort, the fact that Dynamic Select seems to make a pretty substantial difference to everything, and the oodles of torque. Haven't had a daily without AWD since I moved to Wisconsin so I decided to get a set of Enkeis shod with Continental VikingContact 7 SSR rubber and so far, haven't felt like it was much of a step down (in terms of traction from a stop) from my last Subaru on all-season rubber.

Something tells me this won't be my last MB, really loving it so far how the gently caress do i stop keyless go from bonging "Don't forget your key!" every time i open the loving door

Nice ride, you don't stop the bong.

You must embrace the bong.

I am sure it can be coded out but there is NO way the dealer will do it for you.

I don't believe you can code at home like you can with a BMW using an app and OBD connector, MB is locked down tight and you need the STAR console to get in.

Unless you have a buddy that works for MB you're probably best to just leave it alone and get used to the bong

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Not a lot of codings like that can be done from a Xentry tab anymore on newer cars, most codings are a full package downloaded from the servers in the fatherland. Only exception is climate control, there痴 lots of stuff to fiddle with.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tremek posted:

Petition to upgrayyed thread title to S65:

Tune and lower it an inch or something and I think I知 done.

I loving love that 田olor that痴 a great looking car

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

I loving love that 田olor that痴 a great looking car

Thanks, it痴 grown on me.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, that looks great.

I always just assumed they cranked out 100 black W221s and 1 silver off the factory line. :v:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

First and last black car I ever buy. Always dirty, see every scratch, and hot as gently caress in the summer.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Blue On Blue posted:

Nice ride, you don't stop the bong.

You must embrace the bong.

As an aside, I brought the car to the MB dealership for some warranty work last night and asked the service adviser if it can be disabled via a service tool.
He said no, but that it wasn't the first time he'd been asked today.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

sarcastx posted:

As an aside, I brought the car to the MB dealership for some warranty work last night and asked the service adviser if it can be disabled via a service tool.
He said no, but that it wasn't the first time he'd been asked today.

It痴 especially annoying in this latest generation , because now when you park it has the warning about your vehicle is still ready to drive ! Don稚 leave it unattended

Bitch stop making noises and just sit quietly until I press D again

God

For a company who makes cars to be chauffeured in you would think they would let you shut up all the warning bongs and bings , no one in the back seat wants to hear all that garbage let alone the front seat

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm amazed it can't be disabled. Wonder what year they picked to make that dumb decision.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is this a particularly desirable year/generation wagon?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-mercedes-benz-e350-4matic-wagon/?utm_source=dailymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-01-29

I was flirting with the idea of bidding on it but will likely hold off until my wife gets a new car next year. It looks like you can get the more recent generation of wagons for only a few thousand more. Is the generation after this one a steaming pile?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Is this a particularly desirable year/generation wagon?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-mercedes-benz-e350-4matic-wagon/?utm_source=dailymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-01-29

I was flirting with the idea of bidding on it but will likely hold off until my wife gets a new car next year. It looks like you can get the more recent generation of wagons for only a few thousand more. Is the generation after this one a steaming pile?

No, that痴 just wagon zealotry/bubble idiocy. W213 > W212 > W211.

Don稚 buy a w211 wagon at this point for any reason unless it痴 like $5k or less and you池e friendly with your Merc independent and/or feel like self-flagellation - poo poo痴 gonna break.

They池e not awful, but they池e undoubtedly overvalued. 10/10 times I壇 rather have a w212 or frankly a w213 wagon of any stripe but the latter are still pretty expensive in any trim/model.

The DI V6 that was in the w212 is considered a better engine than its predecessor. I think that example is just BaT madness because clean and low miles.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
212s and 213s are very solid. I壇 say the interior quality slipped a bit on the 213, but the drivetrains are basically the same. Be warned, the DI V8 is shoehorned in there and anything beyond basic maintenance is much much more difficult/expensive than the preceding engine.

Edit; wagons only have the V6 or AMG V8, so that痴 not really applicable

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tremek posted:

No, that痴 just wagon zealotry/bubble idiocy. W213 > W212 > W211.

Don稚 buy a w211 wagon at this point for any reason unless it痴 like $5k or less and you池e friendly with your Merc independent and/or feel like self-flagellation - poo poo痴 gonna break.

They池e not awful, but they池e undoubtedly overvalued. 10/10 times I壇 rather have a w212 or frankly a w213 wagon of any stripe but the latter are still pretty expensive in any trim/model.

The DI V6 that was in the w212 is considered a better engine than its predecessor. I think that example is just BaT madness because clean and low miles.

Frank Dillinger posted:

212s and 213s are very solid. I’d say the interior quality slipped a bit on the 213, but the drivetrains are basically the same. Be warned, the DI V8 is shoehorned in there and anything beyond basic maintenance is much much more difficult/expensive than the preceding engine.

Edit; wagons only have the V6 or AMG V8, so that’s not really applicable

Thanks guys. We'll be looking for a new car for my wife next year and she's expressed that she wants a wagon. This one just caught my eye to replace our current beater wagon, but the price seemed to end up kind of high for a 2009. Good to hear that the 212/213s are solid: it's going to likely be between one of those, a used 3 series wagon, or maybe a new A6 wagon.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks guys. We'll be looking for a new car for my wife next year and she's expressed that she wants a wagon. This one just caught my eye to replace our current beater wagon, but the price seemed to end up kind of high for a 2009. Good to hear that the 212/213s are solid: it's going to likely be between one of those, a used 3 series wagon, or maybe a new A6 wagon.

For the price of a new A6 (aren't those only Allroads?) you could have a W212 E63s or a W213 E400.

Frank Dillinger posted:

I'd say the interior quality slipped a bit on the 213

You're nuts. W212 interior is drab and very much has its roots in the 00s:

Whereas even an E400/E450 looks like a goddamn luxury yacht spaceship inside:

Seriously, the w213 interior feels like a modern S-class whereas the W212 was only a step removed from the W211. Huge upgrade.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Tremek posted:

For the price of a new A6 (aren't those only Allroads?) you could have a W212 E63s or a W213 E400.

Seriously, the w213 interior feels like a modern S-class whereas the W212 was only a step removed from the W211. Huge upgrade.

I won稚 argue on looks at all, the 213 looks great. However, the 212 just feels more solidly built/higher quality to me.

Same thing with the 204 to 205. Looks much nicer, but everything is lighter and flimsier.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly think the W211 interior is better or at least equal to the W212, maybe not in build quality but I absolutely hate the center stack in the W212. So many black plastic buttons that somehow look cheaper than those in the W211

The W213 is in a league of its own and if I get another MB it would have to be one of that era just for the interior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tremek posted:

Yeah, I could get an e63 for that price, but my wife prefers the look of BMW/Audi wagons to the Mercedes. :shrug:

Whatever car she値l be getting will be doing 30k miles/year, so there痴 also that. :suicide: