Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Every single dual clutch transmission I've ever driven does that shudder/rpm thing from a stop/low speed to some extent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
In these it痴 a single wet clutch instead of a torque converter, and it can be a little jerky at low speeds. Odd they didn稚 even do a software update or anything though.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
This is my first non-slushbox car so that could be it. Usually goes away after I drive it a bit but I'll still get RPM drops/surges when pulling into the parking deck or something. The MB forums are full of complaints from back in 2010 when the SL and E first had the transmission and people who bought it new didn't realize it wasn't gonna have the usual Mercedes-smooth shifting experience. It's still a mystery to me why the electrical draw would go up so much when it happens, but they said the electrical system looked fine.

Frank Dillinger posted:

In these it’s a single wet clutch instead of a torque converter, and it can be a little jerky at low speeds. Odd they didn’t even do a software update or anything though.

Yes it's strange but considering the tech didn't know what transmission it had, maybe to be expected. I guess that's what a $155 an hour labor rate gets you.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I've driven BMWs and VWs and Fords and they all do the same poo poo, I don't know what it is about the technology. Some BMW owners say they've been able to tune it out but I haven't had any luck personally

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

heated game moment posted:

It's got about 85,000 miles but what appears to be a good maintenance history. Honestly I expected them to find more wrong with it than they did.

The rear suspension on the E63 is a hybrid strut/air spring setup and I'm having trouble finding the strut part online for less than $500. They wanted $1,200 per side to change them but it's nothing crucial so I'll take it elsewhere for that in the future.

They couldn't replicate the fluctuating RPM issue which surprised me, but there are no codes stored. Spark plugs were changed last year so could be the gas here or something.

I've been watching this guy tear into M156 engines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KA34ANVuCc

Look into Arnott suspension. It's aftermarket air ride support for your application. Your lucky you got air. Try ABC setups for price.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Preoptopus posted:

Look into Arnott suspension. It's aftermarket air ride support for your application. Your lucky you got air. Try ABC setups for price.

Thanks! I am familiar with Arnott from my time with my W211 E55. I ended up selling that car partly because of unresolved air suspension problems. The W212 E63 only has airbags in the rear.

And yeah I wouldn't touch anything with ABC out of warranty, what a nightmare.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

All right you v12 nerds. How do I bleed the inter coolers

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Aren稚 there schrader valves on top of them?
I壇 recommend you use a vacuum setup if you can though.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Yea there are. Do those just hook up to a vacuum pump?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

Yea there are. Do those just hook up to a vacuum pump?

Might something like this work? I had one of these and used it to fill coolant a number of times. Putting it on your compressor's air supply creates a venturi effect to pull vacuum.

In other news I may get the S65 back tomorrow, post-intercooler, lowering links, Kleemann tune, and meth kit.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Am highly considering the meth kit. Do you know which one your getting?

Edit: cant wait to see it tremek.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 1, 2020

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Tremek posted:

Might something like this work? I had one of these and used it to fill coolant a number of times. Putting it on your compressor's air supply creates a venturi effect to pull vacuum.

In other news I may get the S65 back tomorrow, post-intercooler, lowering links, Kleemann tune, and meth kit.

Yeah, one of those works awesome. Otherwise you池e stuck running the car, opening the bleeders, repeat ad nauseum until all the air is gone.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My god, when did AMG GT Ses start falling in to the 60s? I'm beginning to wonder how much of a PITA maintenance/service is on these.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

My god, when did AMG GT Ses start falling in to the 60s? I'm beginning to wonder how much of a PITA maintenance/service is on these.

Not that I could afford $60k either but that's a hell of a price for that car. Definite head turner anytime I see one.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

The depreciation outways the maintenance. Unless your buying one cash, your likely gonna be upside down the moment you leave the lot.
Ask me how i know.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Preoptopus posted:

The depreciation outways the maintenance. Unless your buying one cash, your likely gonna be upside down the moment you leave the lot.
Ask me how i know.

Yes, that痴 the good/bad thing about higher end MBs. Am I gonna have to spend a lot of money on maintenance? Yes, but the car lost $80,000 in value before I bought it.

It also makes buying even a lightly used one tough to justify because yeah that barely driven $130,000 car is only $75,000 now but it痴 gonna be $40,000 in 2 more years even if you park it in a sealed bubble and never touch it

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Gotta wait for that point in the curve where you only lose a few thousand a year instead of tens of thousands :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not that I could afford $60k either but that's a hell of a price for that car. Definite head turner anytime I see one.

Yeah they池e incredible.

I have a feeling I知 going to end up spending my free time on mbworld seeing how bad maintenance is. I can stomach some depreciation. Not sure I壇 feel awesome about depreciation and a 15k transmission repair.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is an old G wagen a terrible thing? Like G500 vintage. 30-35k is probably still a lot for an old Benz, but that's almost cheap enough to actually take off road if you wanted to.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861167

Heres a project thread on a 93

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sweet, thanks for the link.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

Is an old G wagen a terrible thing? Like G500 vintage. 30-35k is probably still a lot for an old Benz, but that's almost cheap enough to actually take off road if you wanted to.

They are cool as gently caress in my opinion. But They are hilariously expensive to fix even for mercedes. I work at a shop that works on these and they are stupid. 300 dollars for a cup holder thats basically a woven small basket ball net. It's hilarious bidding out any job on them.

In other news got my new packs from v12icpack guy. Slapped them onto the new plugs. She's a ripper again. All in all I spent 1800 bucks and like 4 hours of my time. Granted I have all the right tools which you have to have on these. I've had this car for a year and a half put 13000 miles on it. And I'm total I think I'm like 3000 into it so far. SO V12 DREAM CAN BE DONE.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 4, 2020

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

They are cool as gently caress in my opinion. But They are hilariously expensive to fix even for mercedes. I work at a shop that works on these and they are stupid. 300 dollars for a cup holder thats basically a woven small basket ball net. It's hilarious bidding out any job on them. Also just recently homeboy took his 99 gray market g550 off roading in a mud puddle and it resulted in him needing an alternator from shorting out on mud, him paying us like 5 hours labor to powerwash the engine bay. A starter. And then another one when a bunch of dirt we couldn't get to fell from the top of the bellhousing on top of the flywheel and got caught in the new starter shorting it out.Was like a 3000 dollar bill.

In other news got my new packs from v12icpack guy. Slapped them onto the new plugs. She's a ripper again. All in all I spent 1800 bucks and like 4 hours of my time. Granted I have all the right tools which you have to have on these. I've had this car for a year and a half put 13000 miles on it. And I'm total I think I'm like 3000 into it so far. SO V12 DREAM CAN BE DONE.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Preoptopus posted:

They are cool as gently caress in my opinion. But They are hilariously expensive to fix even for mercedes. I work at a shop that works on these and they are stupid. 300 dollars for a cup holder thats basically a woven small basket ball net. It's hilarious bidding out any job on them.

What plugs did you use?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
If you want an off-road Benz may I recommend an E63?

https://i.imgur.com/Nu3aWLA.mp4

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

What plugs did you use?

NGK IFR6Q-G Iridium

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Day 3 with new packs. Decided to give her the ultimate test. Did a hard pull going up Vail pass. Hit 100 at 4k and then held 90 at under 3k rpms not breaking a sweat going up to 10000 feet on a 7 degree grade. V12icpack guy knows what the gently caress hes doing. Highly recommend.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah they池e incredible.

I have a feeling I知 going to end up spending my free time on mbworld seeing how bad maintenance is. I can stomach some depreciation. Not sure I壇 feel awesome about depreciation and a 15k transmission repair.

I'm actually in the later-stages of picking up a 2017 right now. So far, from my research, I haven't had any major concerns. Should be exciting, I'll post a picture here if everything works out.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Normal Person posted:

I'm actually in the later-stages of picking up a 2017 right now. So far, from my research, I haven't had any major concerns. Should be exciting, I'll post a picture here if everything works out.

Awesome! Looking forward to it. What壇 you end up going with option wise? Get one with DPP?

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

Awesome! Looking forward to it. What壇 you end up going with option wise? Get one with DPP?

Fortunately I was able to find one with just about every option. DPP, carbon ceramics, Distronic, upgraded audio system, etc. Should be picking it up on Friday!

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Hey - wondering if you guys can assist:
I have a new-to-me 2016 C350e (posted about it a few pages ago here), and while it's been going great so far there are two little oddities that I can't wrap my head around:

1). The Convenience Window feature (I think this is its name - remote opening/closing all windows) works maybe 20% of the time.
I've tried holding Unlock for several seconds, as well as pressing Unlock and then holding it again (likewise for lock). Very frustrating.

2). The internet connectivity feature in the car (internet browsing/apps/wifi etc) doesn't work. I'm assuming this is because I haven't signed up for X plan - but I get a lot of conflicting information trying to find the problem online. Some sites say you need a plan, others say you can use tethering from your phone (tethering doesn't work - Android or iPhone, plugged in via USB or via Bluetooth). Obviously if I wanted wifi in the car then I'd sign up for whatever MercedesMe plan it is that gives the wifi but I've got no interest in that - but the in-car apps and especially internet radio feature would be fantastic (I'm from Australia but live in the US and the thought of driving around blasting Aussie radio via the car is kinda neat). I can use the app on my phone to do app things - those being, lock/unlock the car, locate it, and send map directions (I have registered the car to me) so it isn't that - it's just not able to do internet "stuff".

Thanks for any advice you can provide

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Don't know about the internet piece. The convenience thing apparently works using infrared. You have to be fairly close and point the key directly at the handle. If the sun is in the wrong position, it'll overwhelm the signal from the key.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

sarcastx posted:

Hey - wondering if you guys can assist:
I have a new-to-me 2016 C350e (posted about it a few pages ago here), and while it's been going great so far there are two little oddities that I can't wrap my head around:

1). The Convenience Window feature (I think this is its name - remote opening/closing all windows) works maybe 20% of the time.
I've tried holding Unlock for several seconds, as well as pressing Unlock and then holding it again (likewise for lock). Very frustrating.

2). The internet connectivity feature in the car (internet browsing/apps/wifi etc) doesn't work. I'm assuming this is because I haven't signed up for X plan - but I get a lot of conflicting information trying to find the problem online. Some sites say you need a plan, others say you can use tethering from your phone (tethering doesn't work - Android or iPhone, plugged in via USB or via Bluetooth). Obviously if I wanted wifi in the car then I'd sign up for whatever MercedesMe plan it is that gives the wifi but I've got no interest in that - but the in-car apps and especially internet radio feature would be fantastic (I'm from Australia but live in the US and the thought of driving around blasting Aussie radio via the car is kinda neat). I can use the app on my phone to do app things - those being, lock/unlock the car, locate it, and send map directions (I have registered the car to me) so it isn't that - it's just not able to do internet "stuff".

Thanks for any advice you can provide

My shot from the hip guess would be it needs a software update.

Just had a customer with a 16 e class had similar issues. Seamed to fix it.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 13, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just got to drive an AMG GT S today. Oh my god the sound it makes is incredible. Suspension is definitely on the stiffer side (although this car had the DPP version). Storage is light: definitely less than a Cayman. Bucket seats are easier than the Porsche equivalent to get in/out of. Oh my god that sound.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

Just got to drive an AMG GT S today. Oh my god the sound it makes is incredible. Suspension is definitely on the stiffer side (although this car had the DPP version). Storage is light: definitely less than a Cayman. Bucket seats are easier than the Porsche equivalent to get in/out of. Oh my god that sound.

Does the girth :dong: of the GT makes it feel clumsy at all vs. your Spyder?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

got off on a technicality posted:

We have a regular one in the shop all the time (mostly for endless rock chips) but its easily one of the hardest cars to have to precision park into the garage during close every night. If i had to park that poo poo on a down town street in traffic regularly i would visibly age. Mostly cause of everyone staring. Cause it sounds so loving good.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 15, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

got off on a technicality posted:

I only drove it for a short while, but it's obviously a completely different experience. The Spyder almost felt like a pair of running shoes: super usable on the back roads around here. The GTS felt like an absolute hammer in comparison. You definitely felt the size/weight in comparison to the Spyder, but it seems like it'd be an absolute blast. Their version of sport suspension is definitely on the firmer side, and I wonder how "usable" fahv-hunert horsepower is on the backroads around here. My wife sat in the passenger seat and was comfortable, and she actually liked the way the car looked from the outside. Got the thumbs up from my wife (and her vote), but I'm going to see how things play out with 2021 cars in the next month or two.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

I only drove it for a short while, but it's obviously a completely different experience. The Spyder almost felt like a pair of running shoes: super usable on the back roads around here. The GTS felt like an absolute hammer in comparison. You definitely felt the size/weight in comparison to the Spyder, but it seems like it'd be an absolute blast. Their version of sport suspension is definitely on the firmer side, and I wonder how "usable" fahv-hunert horsepower is on the backroads around here. My wife sat in the passenger seat and was comfortable, and she actually liked the way the car looked from the outside. Got the thumbs up from my wife (and her vote), but I'm going to see how things play out with 2021 cars in the next month or two.

Bought a Mercedes!

An E450 wagon!

:v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Residency Evil posted:

Bought a Mercedes!

An E450 wagon!

:v:

Congratulations, but I was looking forward to seeing a long hood, not a long roof!

What's the story, where's the pics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

meatpimp posted:

Congratulations, but I was looking forward to seeing a long hood, not a long roof!

What's the story, where's the pics?

I'm going to wait on the sports car until more info on the Cayman GTS 4.0 comes out.

I was looking for a car to replace my wife's daily driver since she drives 50 miles each way to work and has been piling the miles on her car. It's all highway, 0 traffic. My current DD/shitbox is a 2009 Volvo V50 wagon with failing CV boots and an intermittent AC compressor, and my wife decided that she wanted either a wagon or 4Runner as her next car. We test drove an A4 Allroad (she liked the size, didn't like the ipad on the dash), an Audi A6 Allroad (she liked it, but I'm afraid of Audi air suspension and didn't want to pay new Audi A6 prices), and the 4Runner (the front runner, although the suspension is definitely on the truck-side since it's a BOF design). We were pretty close to picking up a 4Runner, but I figured we should test drive an E-wagon since everyone seems to always rave about them/love them. She agreed, but has never loved the look of the E-series wagons. There was a local E-series wagon at a dealer that was an executive demo with 6k miles that we drove. We both realized it was on a different level than anything we'd ever owned, and realized it'd be a much better highway cruiser than the 4Runner. I found a comparable wagon in Ohio that was 8k less than what the dealer here locally had it listed for. I asked them to match it, but they wouldn't. I contacted the dealer in Ohio and was able to score a 2020 E450, White over Brown, with 1k miles on it, and a new warranty that will get punched with our names on it, for 10k more than the 4Runner we would have bought.

Seemed like a pretty decent upgrade versus a 4Runner, and I finally get to upgrade to my wife's old car. I'll definitely post pics when I get it.