Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Seriously, the E63 is a much better choice than the G55.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Does anyone ever add a 2 after the dealer's initials?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Cacator posted:

Is this a bad time for me to mention that I recently test drove the new C300 and really liked it and really want one?
What did you think of the navigation display? I've only seen it in photos but it looks like they just stuck an iPad on the dash. Does it look better in person?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Cacator posted:

It stands out only because the rest of the interior is so well put together IMO. However I've been in a CLA a few times so I'm a bit more used to it, but the larger screen you get with the nav package is much nicer than the standard 7 inch screen.

Have some pictures:

that doesn't actually look that bad, thanks.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mod sassinator posted:

I dunno that screen is ridiculous IMHO. How bright is it at night, can you see anything else in the cabin? If it were a fancy OLED that didn't have any backlight bleed through it might be decent but I'm worried it would just destroy your night vision.
I imagine it's like other navigation displays and has a "night mode". I've had a few cars with large navigation displays and when the headlights go on they invert their colors (dark background with light roads) and dim themselves.

All that said it still looks like an iPad stuck to the dash although it doesn't look as bad from the driver's seat.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CharlesM posted:

Don't know why I didn't ask here too:

I don't think it's for the start stop system, there's another icon for that just below.
I mentioned it in the other thread but it could be the speed limit detection system. In Europe the speed limit signs are circular like depicted in that icon. MB, BMW, and Audi all offer an option of a camera mounted behind the rear view mirror that can read the speed limit signs on roads and highways and adjust the cruise control accordingly.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I notice more and more manufacturers are doing that. I think it's their solution to making a bigger display without making the dashboard higher or placing the screen down lower.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

They've been doing that since 2004 with the CLS Coupe.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Charles posted:

1 highway, 0 city.

But seriously, how is that transmission at holding that kind of power? I thought they used the 5-speed for the high-torque V12 applications and stuff.
They’ve used the 7 speed for the AMG V8 models for a while and have recently started using it for the AMG V12 models too.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I remember reading an article about a guy who fixed the ABC suspension on a used S600 with parts from Home Depot in his apartment parking lot.

He had to replace a bunch of hoses, fittings, and clamps because the factory ones were all leaking.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Tai-Pan posted:

I like the S-Class. I just don't understand the mentality of tacking on an additional $90,000 for a feature that will be used once (speed) and then will spend the rest of its life in traffic.
Because you can. :shrug:

Same thing with people who buy high performance cars and never track or race them.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Supposedly BMW will be introducing illuminated grilles as an option.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think it’s a dealer installer option.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Frank Dillinger posted:

It is. You can get an always on version, or one that lights up when you unlock the car and turns off while driving.
The always on version is only available in the US and Canada. I guess some regulations about the number of lights on the front of a car and their brightness.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Whiz Palace posted:

So far this week I've seen two G550 4x42s in the suburbs north of Toronto.
I sometimes see a black one downtown in the evening.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I know a guy from Vancouver who runs a business leasing exotics to Chinese kids. He buys the car, has them give a 30% down payment, a $60,000 security deposit, and then charges a 15% lease rate. He said they usually swap out the cars after 6-8 months.

He’s from China himself so he says he’s able to verify that they are who they say they are and have the money. He said late payments aren’t a problem as he just has to threaten to post on his website and various local Chinese social media sites that they missed a payment because they don’t have the money and are actually poor.

He has a whole team that dedicated to making sure their insurance is up to date, licenses are renewed, traffic tickets are paid, etc.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I said it in the other thread, but I always liked how the *65 AMG vehicles have slightly different exhaust tips compared to the rest of the AMG line.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Shrapnig posted:

AMG is doing a full revamp of the brand in 2021/for model year 2021 so I'm going to put my AMG GT dream on hold for a year. AWD is definitely going to be a thing and they're also talking about hybrid engines.

Murgos posted:

Any details? I’m shopping now so if I should wait 8 months...
The new GLS63 and GLE63 use the 4.0 V8 with the electric assist system and electric compressor from the *53 engine.

The rumor about the C63 getting a hybrid 4 cylinder seems to have been a case of broken telephone. The current V8 is based on the M133 4 cylinder. AMG is developing a new V8 based on the M139 4 cylinder. The C63 will be the first, or one of the first, cars to get this new engine and it's going to be equipped with the *53 hybrid system and an electric compressor.

The AMG GT R Black series will also most likely be using the same new engine.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

From what understand, unlike most other remote starters where you have to put your foot in the brake and push that start button after entering the car when it was started remotely, the MB system just turns the car off after you open the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

They’re loading it up with features too to make up for the lack of the V8 I think. It has rear wheel steering, air suspension, etc. which is also going to drive up the price further.