Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
PM me with better OP info and I'll put it here:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/

http://mbworld.org/forums/

blk fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Speaking of nightmare SUVs, a client of mine just told me they were selling their ML430 unadvertised (they just got a new ML). MY2000, 130k miles. I haven't looked at it but they maintain their vehicles well so I presume it has no existing issues. They're asking 4k OBO, I'm wondering if I should/could offer 3500 and flip it. Good idea/bad idea?

bandman posted:

I lucked out with my father in law. He's owned a series of Jaguars, MGs, and Austin-Healeys over the years and he's a big time car guy. They even had a pair of 300sds about 15 years ago, but they got sold off during the divorce. His current project is a 2GR-swapped MR2 Spyder. Holy poo poo that car is fast.

That sounds awesome. My new father in law is a mechanical engineer who could build an engine if he wanted to but drives a 4 cyl Outback at 75% of the speed limit at all times. My dad is more into cleaning cars than driving them and has a Buy Amurrican Corvette fetish. I am the only car person in my extended family and it is lonesome.

blk fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 14, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I wouldn't be keeping it, but I am worried about something happening in the brief period I'd have it. I'm also not sure how easy it'd be to find a buyer - even if they were ignorant about dark age Mercedes quality and didn't question why the car has depreciated 90%, it could be tough to sell an SUV with a 14/17 EPA rating.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What amazes me about Mercedes is just how bad things got during the bad years. These guys invented so much and had solid engineering for decades - what the hell happened?

The other thing I don't understand is how unbalanced some of the cars are, especially the AMG variants. I don't really see the point in buying one over an American muscle car for 1/3rd the price - all the power in the world doesn't matter to me if the handling isn't more composed and connected to the driver.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

VanNuys posted:

Is this a good price for a nice low mileage 300D? $3800 asking price for a seemingly good condition 1980 with 95k http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/3698555303.html

Wow, that's beautiful - hop on it, a few hundred more feels worth it to me for that kind of mileage and (assumed) history

blk
Dec 19, 2009
My OP is totally irrelevant now, do you guys have any general info you want me to put up there instead?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I wouldn't recommend W203 at that mileage unless it's really cheap; even if you do things yourself parts can get really expensive. There's no real fun-to-drive payoff from the W203 either; I'd recommend an E46 over it.

If they're not mechanically inclined, looking for compact luxury and aren't turned off by the styling, I'd try and find an IS300. If they're not looking for compact and really want a star on the hood, I'd do a W123/124.

blk fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 8, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009

CharlesM posted:

It's a shame those are such unreliable cars, as I think they look great.

I didn't really have any reliability issues with mine except for a couple of electrics. I didn't like the way the car looked when I bought it but it quickly grew on me. It had more body roll than I like, but the acceleration was an adequate high 7.x to 60. What i liked about the car was the mid-high 30s freeway fuel economy, scads of usable cargo space and the big pano glass roof.

The 318 I drove when I was shopping felt really underpowered and didn't have as much space ( I could throw my bikes in the back of the Merc, which was significant to me).

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Whoops double post

blk
Dec 19, 2009

quote:

quote:

SLK

quote:

351,000 miles

:aaaaa:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I have a lead on a 87 190E 2.3 16v Cos. Anything I should pay particular attention to? I hear the US delivery ones were loaded out (heavier) and possibly detuned - any other differences?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Yeah it was a 5-speed. Had a hellish day at work yesterday and couldn't drive the hour to where it was located - sold from under me :( :( :(

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Anyone have experience with R107s and can fill me in on cost of ownership?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
This is kind of inspiring: http://apidaonline.com/index.php/articles/life/item/5-things-no-one-tells-you-about-owning-a-used-luxury-car

Surprised how expensive the consumables are compared to the C class, though.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What do you guys think of the 2nd gen SLK (the 350; the one that looks like the SLR)? A low mileage manual one popped up near me and it looks like they got surprisingly good press. I know it wouldn't be as nimble or sporty as the S2000 I've been searching for, but it might be more comfortable for road trips with the wife, and I do like retractable hard tops.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Viper_3000 posted:

Drive a c230 and compare it to a similar vintage 3 series or other luxury car. Report back and tell us how much you hate the w203.

The interior is poo poo, the handling is horrible, it's underpowered, and it gets poo poo gas mileage while requiring premium gas. It's not even cheap to repair thanks to it being a Merc. There are seriously no redeeming qualities. Even the loving cup holder blows.

I drove a 2000 c230 for a few years and honestly it wasn't necessarily a "bad" car. It just didn't do anything to justify the cost of ownership over a more loaded economy car. The best thing about that car was the day I loaned it to my brother and he totaled it.

The 2000 was the W202, I believe.

I used to own a W203 Sportcoupe. I liked the interior layout / storage capacity, the freeway mileage (I got up to mid 30s), the brakes (which were truly excellent) and the pano roof. I didn't have any terrible reliability issues with mine that I can think of, except for the antenna amplifier, which is necessary to unlock the doors with the remote over RF (you can still point the remote and do it over IR, though). That's more of an issue on the hatch than the sedan, but I've heard of it failing on both and it's a $1500 repair because they need to take out the loving rear glass.

Edit: Oh yeah, and NVH was ALOT better than a loaded economy car.

blk fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 2, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Bio-degradable wiring harness.

That's pretty much all you need to know. And rust.

E: The wiring harness thing may have been the W202. My parents had one of those, what a piece of utter poo poo it was compared to the two 190s they had before.

Definitely not the 203.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Okay, so...

From reading the comments, the general consensus tends to be that the W203 (and likely the W202) are plagued with issues predominantly concerning their reliability. I read up on the W201 and am totally seeing where the concerns originate - wow, what a change. I'm mostly asking because I've had a thing for the W203 sport coupe and I assure you all, am in no way considering buying one any time soon. From what I've seen here, there seems to be way too much wrong with it that only Brabus-level intervention could fix.

Although, a V8-powered short wheel base car like that does have some kind of appeal...

I really don't think the W203 is expensive or unreliable, but if you're looking for a driver's car, there are better options.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tremek posted:

There's a 2011 GL550 in my driveway... On loan from the MB dealer until Monday. Also looked at a brand-new Durango R/T and a Pilot today, the GL's definitely nicer.

Going to go compare it to a Lexus LX570 on Monday, though. Give me pros and cons as to which you would pick and why? My lizard brain keeps whispering that the LX would be infinitely more reliable, but the GL has something great to it too.

I'm not sure about more reliable, but probably cheaper to own (including depreciation). The GL looks better, I think. The LX is getting old. If I were getting a German SUV I'd get a Cayenne.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The Cayenne is excellent offroad (and onroad, for an SUV of it's size).

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm not exactly sure what you're consulting the thread for. You asked everyone's opinion and they said it was a terrible idea. It sounds like you've made up your mind to get the car and just want to talk about it because you're excited, which is great, we're happy for you - but I wouldn't pose that in the form of a question.

If you're trying to think aloud and work through some doubts, that's fine too, but I wouldn't get defensive about it.

Most car guys I know who buy SUVs for a change of pace but don't necessarily need the storage or off-road ability get bored with them very quickly. If I was choosing between this and the E63 I'd get the E63. If you really want to spend money on a sketchy G-Wagen I'd get an older one with more character - military instead of Kardashian.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

NOTinuyasha posted:

I'll make one last post cause this is kind of insulting.

I qualified on the spot for 20% down at 6% and could've driven it off the lot right there, on my own credit. My dad agreed to cosign, same as the first Benz I bought, because it cut the interest rate in half with no downside.

You might want to give the details in the financials subforum and ask their advice.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

awesome-express posted:

Yeah that's my plan so far. I've been looking at a lot of w204 coupes and they're nice with an affordable price tag to boot. Problem is I've never financed anything in my life, just paid off my CC bills on time. This is why I'm confused whether it's better to put down a large downpayment and have the car, which is a financial liability, paid off sooner than being dependent on the dealer.

Check your FICO score first, you may be farther along than you think. 730+ is top tier for mortgages IIRC. Unless you want some other sort of loan I wouldn't sweat it too much.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

meatpimp posted:

I don't know enough about them to properly advise anything other than "no," since it was a product at the end of the disastrous Daimler Chrysler, and I assume it to be some weird rebodied Pacifica with Mercedes pricing for anything that goes wrong.

I've driven the R350 a few times and while it is stupid looking and stupid expensive to own, it is an awesome car for the form factor.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Tavarish, the guy who posts on Jalopnik alot about a) flipping cars and b) why you should buy a horribly unreliable luxury piece of poo poo instead of a modest and dependable car, drives a W220 beater - I think a S500 (his "buy a used luxury car" columns annoy the hell out of me, but I respect that he does his research and does a good job repairing/cleaning up cars for flips - he also has probably the best command of English of any writer on Gawker media).

Different classes of cars, but I'm kind of interested in how this compares to the beater E39 540i phenomenon going on in the BMW thread (I think one or more people may have E38 or E65s, which might be a more relevant comparo). I know electrics on the W220 are expensive to replace when sourced new, but from he's written it seems he hasn't really had to do much with them, and nothing with the drivetrain. What are everyones thoughts here?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Voltage posted:

If you are worried about the price, and want to wait for a cheaper car even, run far, far away. You will absolutely be in over your head unless you can comfortably drop it off at the MB dealer every time you have a problem and hand them a blank check. Repairs on an AMG benz can be thousands more for things that are simple and cheap (or do not even exist) on other cars.

DO NOT get one if it is going to be your only mode of transport.

If you can afford a new one, you can afford to run a used one.

Remember you are still paying for parts and repairs for a previously $80-100k car, not a $16k car.

Comedy option is driving it until it breaks so much it's not drivable, and then running it in Lemons.

Are you talking about the S class or the E55 in this post? For what it's worth, my question is purely hypothetical.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

hedgegnome posted:

Well ok, that certainly sounds very, very bad.. thank you for scaring me but i shall continue to look into it :D

I think Tremek owned one; you may want to ask him about it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

leica posted:

Ok, I've been looking at wagons and found this locally, would I be really dumb for buying this or is it one of those Mercs that run forever that you only have to put gas in :v:

It's a '01 E320 wagon fully loaded.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/4870457288.html

W210s are a pain in the rear end, I'd go one gem before that (W124, which ran until 95 or 96).

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Didn't he do something stupid and possibly illegal on his own dash cam video? I never saw it but I remember some posts.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tremek posted:

Talk me into/out of a $5k '92 500E.

Has it been beat to hell or have 200k miles or something?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Did the CL ever have a retractable hard top?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Looking at a '94 E420. Seller says it starts, but won't stay running. Their mechanic says "ignition module." Seller doesn't want to deal with it.

What should I look for?

Thought you had beater E39? Why u buy W124?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Gonna go look at this this weekend, woop http://www.ebay.com/itm/262025278860?rmvSB=true

blk
Dec 19, 2009

EvilMoFo posted:

Why anyone would consider a car that has critical electronic systems on top of the basic mechanical parts to wrench on is beyond me.

Computers and complex electronic pieces are nothing but an impending headache.

Get something from the 60s-80s, the creature comforts you likely expect in a car would be present in the late 70s into the 80s.

It will still cost a fairly noticeable sum for certain things when compared to other cars but at least there isn't some miserable computer that will gently caress up your day.

A 600 Grosser would meet his needs perfectly, then.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

GPF posted:

E500 Wagon Carfax had a Title tattoo: Buyback/Lemon. Seems that in 2004, there was a system-wide issue. MB bought the car back from the purchaser, took it back to Germany, and fixed the lemon issue along with the rest of the fleet, but the title is tainted forever until that car is disassembled, melted down, and turned into something else.

Wait, what? Are you saying all 2004 E500 wagons were lemon lawed? Either way, it was probably with good reason.

We can't really fix the choices you've made up to this point, but this car and situation sound like a lot more trouble than they're worth.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdtDumm2LK0

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Was there ever a CL convertible or just a CLK?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

EL Bombastico posted:

I don't think so. All CLs were coupes. If you wanted a CL convertible, you'd be buying a SL.

CL has a back seat, SL doesn't

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tai-Pan posted:

I have a truck and I don't really want a quad cab. I am fully aware that I am giving up some amount of practicality.
Further, I am in the US. They regularly ride in my 911 or my 240z. I'm not big on safety.

That is the most casual "I am living the dream post" I have ever read. Which gen 911 and how old are the kids? I'm wondering if I can stuff mine in a 997 once he's front facing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

mikerock posted:

Hello Mercedes thread, my wife and I are shopping for a new (used) car for her and my cousin's repair shop has a 2003 C230 for what seems to be a reasonable price of $6000 CAD. I have done some cursory looks online and the model and year have some good reviews.

I basically don't know anything about Mercedes, I am more of a Volvo guy. What should I know about this car?

Coupe or sedan? I had an 02 coupe from ~40000 mi to 95000. Had a $1500 electronics failure (most of that cost was to remove the rear glass to get to the faulty component) but otherwise it was fine. Not very sporting compared to the 3 series. Good use of interior space, amazing brakes, sounds like a tractor.

These are going fairly cheap these days, 6000 CAD seems par for the course to me.

It wouldn't be high on my list if I was shopping again.