Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I joined the club!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Meathole posted:

Nice! If you have any questions ask away and be sure to join https://www.mbworld.org it contains an amazing wealth of information.

Yeah, I joined. It's been interesting trying to sort through the chaff over there, but it's not nearly as bad as the BMW forums.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Nait Sirhc posted:

Hah. How's the E55? Blown away every possible expectation you ever had?

I never really paid attention to the fact that M-B made performance cars before now. I love it. The car is ridiculous, even more so since I installed that 180mm crank pulley earlier this week. I suppose headers are next after the heat exchanger and intercooler pump I've ordered come in.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Meathole posted:

Did you get the EC tune yet? I've had my 180mm and EC tune for a year and a half now and absolutely love it! It's fun applying about 400 lb-ft to that crank bolt, isn't it? I just got my new rear rotors and pads in today. 116,000 miles on the stock rotors probably wasn't the best idea, but it will still suck your eyeballs out. This car never ceases to amaze me, especially during the colder months when rolling burnouts at 60 mph are the norm and fuel mileage barely creeps into the double digits.

Yeah, I installed the pulley Monday morning, called up EC, and they set up a remote tune by 3pm. It went way easier than it should considering I was involved in the process.

That crank bolt was a bitch, I though I broke the socket when I removed it. I was so paranoid that I switched to a different socket after the first two loud cracking noises, but it was just the bolt breaking loose. I torqued it with my torque wrench and switched to my breaker bar and angle gauge to finish. The breaker bent so much I pulled about 60 degrees and had to reseat the socket on the bolt. The handle of the breaker traversed well over 90 degrees during that pull, with 3-4" of visible deflection down the length.

Haha, I broke the tires loose at 60 today with ambient temps of around 70. It was a little damp out, but still.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Meathole posted:

I was making GBS threads a brick trying to tighten that crank bolt. I thought the breaker bar was going to snap. I just switched over to some 245/40/18 all-seasons in the rear for winter, and they grip 100 times better in 30 degree weather than the Summer tires I had. I don't care how stupid it looks, I'm not going into a ditch this Winter.

Here's what I do during the Summer. I think this was my 11.96 run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffc1XBNlmyA

Winter tires? I live in Bama, it gets colder than 45 degrees for maybe two weeks. Nice run (well, except the red light). The track's still open here and I need to go.

I purchased a set of shorty headers off of mbworld classifieds, should be here next week. That's as far as I'm going for a while. After this it's just incremental gains anyway.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Just enjoy the 15 mpg as much as possible. That thing sounds too good to go easy on it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Cyrezar posted:

The new arrival:

2004 E55 AMG. No mods that I know of besides an iPod adapter and some black wheel caps. Hilariously fast - about 470HP, 516TQ. About 54,000 miles. I think my average since receiving the vehicle on Thursday is somewhere around 12 MPG.

Congrats on the E55! I have a 2005 myself. If you think it's fast now, wait till you get a pulley on there! I have a 180mm pulley and Eurocharged tune, shorty headers, PLM heat exchanger, separated coolant system and upgraded intercooler pump, and it pulls like a freight train on crack. I wanted the best bang-for-the-buck upgrades, and these are them. If you're going to do it, wait for the frequent sales from Eurocharged. I got the pulley and tune for $999, and they give you free canned tunes for life if you upgrade past that, and fairly cheap remote dyno tunes too. The next thing I want is the TCU upgrade to quicken up the shifting, but you have to pull the TCU and send it in, and it's too hot to go to work in any of my other vehicles right now.

I'd definitely check to make sure the intercooler pump is working, mine was dead when i bought the car--with the stock pulley, after one pull to 80mph in the winter, the ECU would turn the supercharger off and stop the fun.

My lifetime MPG for the car is something like 15.7, but I DD it and don't burn the tires off every single day; they're too expensive. It is hilarious to see the holy poo poo look on somebody's face when they realize, yes, you just broke the tires loose at 45 mph.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

FIRST TIME posted:

Weird question but what is it about Mercedes vs. BMWs that there is a relatively fast moving BMW thread on these forums and the Mercedes thread goes over a month without a reply? Is it just that the demographics of this forum are biased towards BMW?

I own 3 BMWs and I would like to own a Mercedes someday as well but it worries me that there's not a lot of enthusiasm for that brand here.

You can get a 90's BMW for cheap and be somewhat confident it's not gonna be a huge pile of poo poo and despair. Can't do that with Mercedes, because they are all garbage from like 1992 to 2002. BMWs are more well-supported by the aftermarket and are sportier overall too, so it all adds up. I went from a 2004 M3 to a 2005 E55, don't regret it at all. Until I look at my gas bill.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

trouser chili posted:

Before I bought my 250c, I was seriously eyeballing a 2-year old C63 AMG with 12k miles on it. Came with CPO warranty to 100,000k. Why shouldn't one buy AMG? Is it just maintenance costs or are they unreliable? This may seem obvious but I'm pretty oblivious to new cars anymore, and by "new" I mean anything made this millennium.

If you enjoy getting more than 15 mpg, don't get an AMG. They are pretty solid cars with a propensity to eat through tires like a tornado through a trailer park. I've had mine for a year and a half and 15,000 miles with just regular maintenance and an alternator, which wasn't too bad.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

trouser chili posted:

Well it was just a toy. Something to take out when the weather is perfect, maybe three to five thousand miles a year.

Oh yeah, it'd be great for that. Just saying that there are extra costs involved that some people tend to disregard cause :siren: FAHV HUNNERT HORSEPOWAH :siren:. I DD mine when I'm not riding the bike, and so far, costs have been way less than my old M3 with the added value of no catastrophic failures of something like a simple loving timing chain tensioner that pumps all the goddamn oil out the side of the block.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Tremek posted:

Just ordered a transmission computer from an '03 E55 AMG. Why you ask?

So I can do brake stand burnouts.

Mercedes in their infinite wisdom changed transmission modules and software in later model '05 and '06 E55s to prevent you from roasting the rears down to the cords. I intend to change this!

My trusty assistants reviewing my work to get to the TCU:

After digging into the footwell I determined that I do in fact have a TCU that's on the naughty list:

[t img]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac249/gregblanchette/E55/TCUVersions.jpg[/timg]

So, new TCU should hopefully be here by Monday. I will report back with what I hope is confirmation of rampant Conti SportContact 3 abuse. The real point of all this is to be able to warm up drag radials at the strip without putting the car into Dyno mode (which entails keying the car off and back on, getting into a diag menu, etc.) This should just be ESP off and go.

After this I will be looking into whether I can get a tuner to adapt the new (old) TCU to 3.06 rear gears...

Edit: on the subject of 3.06 gears, I'm looking for some. The stock 215mm ring/pinion gears out of non-Getrag 2005 through 2010 Chrysler and Dodge SRT8 6.1L cars will swap right into the E55 pumpkin. Anyone know of any 3.06 gears? The SRT8 guys are usually swapping to 3.23 or 3.55 or greater, so someone has to have a set of these sitting unloved on a shelf in their garage.

Eurocharged should be able to reflash your TCU. Don't know why you don't like the 2.65 gears!

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Yeah, that was a little sarcasm on the gears. The reason I haven't swapped mine is because I wasn't sure about the TCU issues. AFAIK nobody can do it via cable yet though. I think some 3.x gears with a real limited slip will help immensely. My 60ft times suck but part of that is I still can't launch the car well with the 180mm crank pulley. I got better 60ft times from the stock pulley but better ETs and traps now.

I have to say that in day-to-day driving, the big pulley is king even if it might give up a little top-end power due to excessive heat. The torque hit is immense. Between that, a PLM intercooler and big pump, and shorty headers the car is a blast to drive.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Tremek posted:

Good news on the TCU front - sent off the TCU that didn't work to Eurocharged, and it has returned functional, tuned, and allowing for ESP-off burnouts!

Hell yeah. How much better are the shifts? I just got a bonus from work, might get it done if you think it's worth it.

Also. I'd recommend you go ahead and replace the crank angle sensor if you haven't yet. I did mine in the parking lot of the liquor store last Friday after it left me stranded, not recommended. It's $35 and pretty easy to replace if you have smaller hands.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Tremek posted:

Yeah, the pulley disengaging due to high IATs is disconcerting to say the least - feels like the car is about to throw a CEL at you, but it's just dumping timing and fuel and using the bypass in a heavy-handed attempt to keep from going kaboom... Even romping on it I haven't had the faintest inclination that it's going to engage the bypass with the new heat exchanger and trunk tank. Peak IATs on the track in 85 degree 40% humidity weather were 155f, and I'm pretty sure the bypass kicks in at like 190 degree IATs or possibly higher, which it's unfortunately very capable of reaching while stock.

The mbworld guys dug this up recently:

... which indicates that the car is already pulling timing at 95, 113, and 149 degrees in three different stages. Pretty low thresholds. If it's cool ambient temp with low humidity next week it's going to be interesting to see just how much faster the car can go when it's not getting raped by IATs.

The pulley is from the mbworld vendor shardul, and is supposedly equivalent to a 180mm crank pulley but I'm somewhat doubtful (as is the rest of the community) that the SC pulley is as effective as the crank pulley.

My heat exchanger pump was dead when I bought the car. The ECU would cut off the supercharger after two 0-60 pulls in 65 degree weather.

The PLM H/E and Meziere pump was a good upgrade. The only time since then that the compressor's been turned off is when the idler pulley disintegrated, and I live in Alabama.

Shardul hadn't come out with his pulley when I upgraded, does it snatch when the clutch locks up? It's a fairly irritating phenomenon with my 180mm.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Tremek posted:

Scary re: dead pump. I also installed the Bosch 010 pump as I didn't trust the pump that came with the car, which turned out to be the original.

With my stock pulley every time the clutch engaged I did get the belt chirp + a bit of jerkiness. Now the chirp is gone - seems like the belt + the belt wrap kit is pretty snug. With that said when the car is cold and in S mode it's very jerky at low throttle, but I can't tell if that's the tune, the pulley, or a combination or both. Just throwing it into C solves for the problem in the meantime.

I put the idler pulley set on for exactly that reason re: reports of disintegrating pulleys - figure it's preventative maintenance.

Do you have headers or any other mods beyond the 180mm pulley? I'm trying to figure out my next steps (figure if I should be thinking about injectors, looped fuel rail, etc...) to support headers, throttle body, etc. Swapping the rear gears from the super tall 2.62 to either 3.06 or 3.23 will help the car get out of the hole faster without having to touch the motor.

I have shorty headers, dry K&N air filters, and deleted the mufflers, but that's it. Basically a "stage 2" build. The next mod I'm thinking about is a TCU flash and then shorter diff ratio with a real limited slip. I've heard rumors about the SRT parts but need to do more research.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

My E55 told me today that it needs brake pads. I guess I'll go with the Akebono kit, they are supposed to have dramatically less dust and are only $130 for the front. Not bad for 8 brake pads.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Kind of glad I traded in my 2005 E55! It was super creaky on the left front strut and had a valve cover oil leak, plus the power trunk and rear sunshade had quit working. It never had TPS sensors and I traded it in with painted bronze 19" S65 reps and plastidipped front grill. I hope the dealer and whoever buys it enjoys the Eurocharged Stage 2, and I forgot I did the washer trick to lower it by a bit.

I had an SBC error, but that's just when I didn't click the connector back down enough when I did a brake job.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Should be deep in the 12's with an E55, too. I had a 12.5@124 at 400 feet or so.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Tremek posted:

If you're referring to my times, altitude kills it. For reference, my E's faster than stock CTS-Vs on the same track and about 6-7/10th and 10mph down from a stock GTR, which would be mid to low 11s at a lowland track. At 124mph, you should be faster than 12.5? That's more like a 114-116 mph run... Guys at sea level with low to mid 120s are trapping mid-11s, and a guy just ran 10.39 @ 134 a few weeks ago.

My 60 foot times were garbage. Never could get it to hook, probably because I'm a lovely driver.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Tremek posted:

Tires are the most likely culprit? ContiSportContacts don't exactly hook well. :) What were you running on it?

Yeah, I was running Hankook Ventus V12 Evos. It was a good day to day tire but not really meant for drag racing. I'm sure I could've gotten better times with some drag radials.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yes and no. My dad took his C63 to the track this weekend and even with the same drag Nittos he had on his C6 (remounted, of course) he couldn't get past a 2.0 60'. He says part of it is he forgot to air them down enough, but a lot of it was also fighting the traction control - once it kicks in, it just falls on its face.

Unfortunately it's a choice between fighting the TC, or put it in dyno mode and obliterate the right rear.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I like the IDEA of the G-wagen much more than the reality.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Dislike button posted:

LMAO yeah that is some super gimmicky lame poo poo

It always freaked people out in my E55. I sort of miss them, though.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

Not a good car to learn auto stuff on at all. I've worked with my friend a bit on his 2005 E55 and everything is a giant pain. Just changing the oil requires removing dozens of bolts and dropping skid plates, protectors, etc. just to drain the oil. Anything electrical is going to require Mercedes' special auto tool ($$$) to talk to the computers. You want something like an old 80's 560-series W126 or R127 (but I don't think I'd trust it as a daily driver unless you got a really nice well kept one).

$45 gets you a vacuum oil pump that goes straight down the filler tube. I didn't drop the skid plates for anything other than a header installation the entire time I owned my 2005 E55, and I replaced the crank pulley with a bigger one, changed transmission and diff fluid, and installed an aftermarket intercooler and the headers with no special tools. I found it supremely easy to work on.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well according to Wikipedia (which I'm sure is wrong)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensotronic_Brake_Control

2003-2006 E-Class
SLR
Maybach
2003-2006 CLS-Class
2001-2011 SL-Class

Interesting that they ditched it but retained it for the lower volume cars due to redesign costs. Somewhat explains why the S series didn't get it since it is high volume...but...the Maybach still had it which is basically a glorified stretched S class.

Speaking of the Maybach, the PO of my car bought a Maybach tool kit and stuffed it in my trunk. drat thing has a pair white gloves in it. Also interesting, the tow hook is a different size compared to the S. It won't screw in.

Oh, for those wanting the V12, don't go for the SL. Changing engine mounts is an engine out procedure.

My 2005 E55 had white gloves, too, and they were greatly appreciated when I had a flat tire.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Cached Money posted:

The old V12 transmission is very good, people use them in tuned cars all the time. Mercedes makes good automatics in general, I don't think I've ever heard of one breaking other than electrical gremlins in certain ones.

They're some of the stoutest around. The 722.6 5G is good to like 750 foot-pounds of torque. It certainly had no problems behind my E55 with a 180mm crankshaft pulley.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

They've been doing that since 2004 with the CLS Coupe.

The CLS looked good, though.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Pretty bad.

In theory, if you didn't actually have one fail yet and blow a head gasket, you could pull/replace the bolts one at a time and leave the heads in place. No idea if anyone has actually done that successfully.

Some head bolts are under the camshafts, so they'd have to come out. I'm pretty sure that the chain tensioner has to be pinned in so that you can pull the cams. That necessitates the removal of the front accessories and the timing cover. It's a ton of work. I read the R63 head bolt failure thread on grassrootsmotorsports and I wouldn't want to do it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Hell yeah. I miss my '05. 180mm pulley, upgraded intercooler and long tubes, that thing would GO.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Sab0921 posted:

Am I an insane person for wanting to buy this car? Note - I have no DIY know-how, nor do I even have a garage (I guess I'd get a carport built if I actually bid and won this auction). I'm in my 30's, make good money and have been driving a 2004 Scion TC for the last 4 years (my wife's old car - she got a new Grand Cherokee about 4 years ago and I graduated to the Scion) and my wife has basically demanded that I get something with 4 doors to make it easier to take a baby places.

If I have to buy a new car, I want something awesome - this car seems very awesome, but what are the pitfalls of a decade old AMG?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2008-mercedes-benz-e63amg-wagon/

Head bolts breaking, for one. Mercedes refuses to fix this and will replace the engine for $50,000. The suspension pitfalls seem to be taken care of according to the ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

casque posted:

Reminds me of a crankshaft position sensor failure in my W210.

I had one of those failures in my 2005 E55. Surprisingly, the only problem I had with it. I walked home 1/2 mile and drove my motorcycle to Autozone for a 10 minute repair. Bonus: I got to walk a mile more than normal.