Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I have located a 1979 300d with a 4 speed on the internets for 900 bucks. I have a 1977 300d (auto) already so I have an idea of what I am getting myself into.

Apparently, the interior is shot and the sunroof leaks (already looked it up, feel that I can fix that easily) but it "runs and drives good"; I figure there is more wrong with it for that price though.

Obviously, oil leaks, electrical and and suspension are all something I will check, but what else?
I know what to look for in an automatic transmission (violent as hell 1->2 shift) but I have no clue with a manual. This is compounded by the fact that I can not drive stick, which is part of the reason I want it. So what should I, and more importantly my manual capable friend who will be with me, look for?

An added bonus is that it will begin the process of getting newfangled BMWs (e39 + e46) out of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Well, one of the reasons I want to learn manual is so I can drive the 35' 1956 GM bus I own with a friend; it requires double clutching the 50 pound clutch and shifting requires a person to be angry. If anything is going to put me off of driving stick, it will be that thing.

Also, the auto transmission in my 1977 300d is dying; it slips going up almost every incline at this point. The transmission will be replaced/rebuilt once I sell off the BMWs. In the mean time, a working 300d will be fast as hell in comparison.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

You could do what I saw on a 300D that I looked at buying. They cut bigger holes into the dash and mounted ~5" speakers. It sounded pretty good but looked like complete poo poo. :v:

I purchased the car I mentioned earlier, they listed it as a manual 300D but it turned out to be a 240D. I need more practice driving stick but the car is not reliable enough for me to put ~500 miles a week on it.

I sold one of the 2 new fangled BMWs in my life and turned around and purchased a well kept 1985 300D Turbodiesel. I am digging the turbo, I sense that I will not purchase a naturally aspirated diesel ever again.

edit: On a side note, every single person that has driven the manual 240D likes how easy it is and have remarked that it is a great car to learn on. :colbert:

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 16, 2011

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

If the car has been maintained decently, the car will easily hit 500k; if not, you will be in for major repairs.

I am doing my own wrenching and learning in the process. Buying a car that is over 2k will have less need for wrenching, especially over 3k. In the end you will spend at least ~2k, one way or another, for it to be reliable.

The manual 300D was only offered in Europe, the last one I saw on ebay was over 6k simply because it is so coveted. It is possible to convert a 300D to stick, taking a transmission from a 240D. The turbo 300D might not be the best candidate for a manual conversion iirc.

If the car has vacuum issues stay the gently caress away from the 1985 300D, there is a lot more voodoo magic than previous years. The 240D is easier to wrench on since it has way less magic under the hood but, as previously mentioned, it has a severe lack of power.

The w123 ran from 1977 to 1985 but in 1980 or 1981 they changed things. The engines got more power, things moved around in the engine bay, etc.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I expect to be a master of vacuum lines and brakes by the end of the weekend. :tizzy:

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

EvilMoFo posted:

I expect to be a master of vacuum lines and brakes by the end of the weekend. :tizzy:
Instead, the car decided to not start Friday night. According to friends, more mechanically inclined than I am, there is a noise from the compression stroke on a cylinder. There also is oil at the rear of the engine, the aforementioned friends suspect the head gasket.

I expect to do a compression test next week, when I have time. Following that, I expect to take the intake/exhaust off to get a better look. I fear that I will be learning a lot about how these engines are put together.

:sigh:

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 9, 2011

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I paid 600 for mine. The sunroof leaks when it rains, has minor fender damage, has bits of rust on the body, and has a busted odometer at ~235k ... but it runs great and has been bullet proof. I saw one that was better looking with bad brakes and a questionable engine for 300 soon after that.

I would say ~1k would be a starting point.

I bought my quite functional (at the time :() 300D turbo with ~285k for 1600 and it was in pretty good cosmetic condition, aside from the paint.

edit: vvv the concept of a gasoline Mercedes does not compute for me

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 30, 2011

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Today the family became Mercedes Benz W123 only, with the sale of a BMW 3 series. While it feels good, logically, I would feel better if at least one of these cars was a step above marginally functional.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Sprout Magnet posted:

It's got 4-speed auto in it. Thing kicks like an angry baby trying to get out of the womb 3 months early whenever it shifts from first to second.
If it is the same transmission as they used on W123 300D cars, that is completely normal and a good thing.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

A W123 for over ~2500 has to be in pretty good condition, given the market conditions, unless the seller is an asshat.

I would not buy a wagon without a visit to a mechanic, with specific attention given to the magical rear suspension. Wagon parts tend to be unique, unique is not what you seek in a car that will need work at some point; there were many more sedans made than there were wagons.

Driving a w123 diesel like a modern car will not have the results you seek. It is simply impossible to hit triple digits in these non turbo diesels without a hill involved. Likewise, the only thing you will beat off of a line is a bus or a truck; you stop missing acceleration after a while.

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Keep in mind that 1980 isn't a great year for these cars (... 1960's nightmare HVAC system)
Seriously now, what year had an HVAC system that was not a nightmare?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

MATLAB 1988 posted:

1977-1983 240d with manual climate control. ;)

With the 1981-1985 ACC, you might have to replace a monovalve or re-solder the ACC board to have it work perfectly. 1977-1980 ACC? Have a look at this. http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/W123ACC1Conversion

The best year for the 240d is 1983 and 1985 for the 300d/300cd/300td. The later models have lower gear ratios for better highway travel and many other improvements. There's a clear difference between well-sorted 1977 and 1985 models in refinement and drivability. They're still bested by a Kia Rio in all aspects though.
Well yeah, the HVAC in my 79 240D is pretty awesome. I have thought about converting my 77 300D to it but had not looked into it, I am going to have to save that link. The added benefit is separate climate zones like a new car.

We are the original owner of a 77 300D and I bought an 85 300D earler this year. It honestly is night and day with what was done to the car over the 8 years of production.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 12, 2011

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

gently caress.

I did a valve job (my first ever) on my 77 300D and now it will not start. When it does start, or tries to run I should say, it kills itself immediately; all while the car is shaking violently. Just went though it the 3rd time and the spacing is good.

Anyone have any suggestions?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Intake/Exhaust clearances could be mixed up if the diagram was read upside-down. .10mm exhaust and .30mm intake for nonturbos. You're measuring at the camshaft and rocker arm, right? Adjusted valves with the camshaft pointing straight up for each valve? Any binding linkage cutting fuel?
I mucked up one valve but noticed and corrected it once I went to the next one. After reading that switching the intake and exhaust clearances would result in not starting (on some forum somewhere) I went through and checked each one again, each at the 180 degree mark and at .1mm or .3mm. While I am sure that I did not gently caress up, what with checking a couple times now, I am sure I will check again tomorrow when the sun is out.

As for linkages, they are all moving freely and not touching the fuel lines inappropriately.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Today I checked the clearances again and went to start it, now it is making a noise each cycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CihwxR7RQxg

It is the same sound that my 1985 300D made when the engine would not start, here is hoping I can fix both of them :smith:.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

7734 posted:

I got a 78 300d last summer and attempted to do a valve adjust on it myself. Did not turn out to well, though luckily my dad is a diesel mechanic and he helped me finish it up.
Valve adjustments are a bit tricky, I had never done one before and there is a lot of "feel" to get them right. Any chance you could get a hand from someone who has done a few valve adjusts before before?
I'd also suggest getting the correct tools as well, something like these: http://mercedessource.com/node/715
I heated and bent a old set of wrenches I found, and while they sort of worked, there is no substitute for the correct tool.
I'm no expert at all, but from the sound of it in the video, they have been adjusted too tight..? I'd suggest not starting it again and re-doing the adjustment. Like I said, it takes a bit of practice to get the feel for valve clearance right.
I bought a set of the Hazet wrenches for my birthday, so I have the right tools. Nothing beats breaking the family car, that we have owned since 1977 and was flown in from Germany, for my birthday :geno:.

I am going to talk to a couple people I know that work on cars and see what they say. From everything that I have read about valve adjustments, I have the spacing perfect but we shall see.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

My 700 dollar 1979 240d has been a great car, though it tends to leak when it rains, the rear suspension is hosed, and there is epic blowby. All told, probably spent 500 (plus registration) to keep it going. It has been a super reliable car even though it has had some annoying issues.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Rontalvos posted:

I've got a friend in the Fresno California area who is leisurely trying to sell a 1980 240D with the automatic, I think 38k miles. It's the stereotypical creamy tan exterior with matched interior.
An auto 240D is a miserably slow car. The good news is that switching it to a manual would be relatively easy.

I hate that color combo so much, the only thing worse is white/tan.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

7734 posted:

Even though my '78 300D is sitting in my driveway with a broken drive shaft flex plate, I'm seriously considering picking up another Benz (probably just take a hit on the 300D and sell it as is).
I thought a flex plate was only like 60 bucks though.

I just looked at rockauto, they have one for 25 bucks.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Defghanistan posted:

am I a douche for calling it a Merc?
no

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Gullous posted:

That link says you need a subscription to access their free parts manual :( Am I reading this incorrectly?
You have to input a CC to verify that you are real, they do not charge anything.

Speaking of which, I imagine my year is nearly up by now.

Also, the site requires java; as a person that hates java, that annoyed me more that the subscription. I have a VM exclusively for accessing the EPC.

Edit: looking at the site, world cars require money ... https://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/subscribe2.jsp
Edit 2: of important note, they store the password in the clear; you may not want to use your super awesome banking password or anything critial

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 9, 2012

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

If it is in perfect condition, that is the average going rate for a euro manual 300D.

When one came up for sale for ~1000 that had a blown engine I nearly begged, borrowed, and stole to get it; it got parted out though.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

So, I am thinking about getting a (4 speed, on the floor) 1966 W110 220D. The fuel timing is hosed, so it would be 1000 (listed, but likely lower with some talking) plus a trip to the mechanic.

How horrible of an idea is this? Considering I have never seen a W110 at the local wrecking yard, I suspect anything I ever need will not be pleasant.

I heart the eugenics in my driveway of only having W123 (77 300D, 79 240D, and an 85 300D I am going to sell) but this car looks pretty awesome.

PS: +1 for euro W123 lights looking lovely

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

EvilMoFo posted:

So, I am thinking about getting a (4 speed, on the floor) 1966 W110 220D. The fuel timing is hosed, so it would be 1000 (listed, but likely lower with some talking) plus a trip to the mechanic.

How horrible of an idea is this? Considering I have never seen a W110 at the local wrecking yard, I suspect anything I ever need will not be pleasant.

I heart the eugenics in my driveway of only having W123 (77 300D, 79 240D, and an 85 300D I am going to sell) but this car looks pretty awesome.

PS: +1 for euro W123 lights looking lovely
I plan on going and seeing this tomorrow (the dude still has not sold it in ~4 months) but the asking price is now 600 instead of 1000. I really want it but I have to think objectively, it will take a minimum of ~1k to get on the road and then a couple grand to fix the glaring issues; besides the engine needing the injection pump timed to actually run, and hopefully that is all it will take, there is rust which would I would want dealt with asap and the interior is pretty hosed.

In other news, my 85 300D works again after I put it back together for the most part, with the help of starting fluid; seems the glow plugs are content with doing nothing useful. Once I finish bolting the exhaust back on, it will be taking a trip to the mechanic to fix the brakes; then my mother can work on destroying that car instead of the 77 300D I want to convert to manual.

edit: didnt buy the 200d, I expect to regret it for a while.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 2, 2012

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Bobby_Wokkerfella posted:

How bad are W123's (most likely diesels) maintenance/parts wise?

Common issues seem to include anything to do with Vacuum (which is a lot of things) are there wiring/electrical issues?

I know that Mercedes automatics are great, are the manuals 4 or 5 speed (or what years had what) and do they have any electrical overdrive fuckery or whatnot.

What are the things that notoriously break and how much/how hard are they to fix, and finally, what mileage would a 240D see realistically? Is it worth bothering with diesel or are the 280's in the same ballpark of fuel consumption.
They are relatively common at picknpull, keeping them going is pretty reasonable. There are stupidly expensive components but I chalk that up to the price of german engineering. The heater coolant valve on my 77 300D failed, it is ~600 bucks and is a mixture of electricity, vacuum, and coolant; I bypassed it, instead of replacing it, with the thanks of a forum.

On the 240D, the vacuum nonsense is far less prevalent. The 300D has more, a lot more; the later the car the worse it is, the lines in the engine bay on my 85 are like double compared to my 77.

I would be hard pressed to purchase an automatic at this point. The vacuum nonsense impacts the auto, especially if it has that vacuum piece on the top of the engine. The manual 240D I have has nothing bizarre like you describe. 5 speed in a 123 is quite uncommon, from what I have seen.

My 240D runs around 30 mpg when I bother attempting to calculate it.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I went from an E39 528i touring that I loved, and an E46 325i sedan I hated, to W123 diesel Mercedes.

I enjoy driving as much, if not more, simply because the edge is relatively slow (~80mph) compared to the fun I had driving the BMWs (100+mph); captain slow reviewed a sluggish hatchback and provided a more eloquent description of this concept.

Also, gently caress computers in cars. So what if my vacuum locks don't work after being left to sit for an hour, at least a computer that costs thousands to replace is not involved with the basic function of the engine. :colbert:

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

trouser chili posted:

They were actually racing. It's hard to tell sometimes.
:lol:

There are 3 w123 diesels in the driveway and 2 are daily drivers.

I have been eyeing w110 diesels recently though...

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/3872215510.html

Other than running a compression test... any shot in the dark of what maybe causes a non run on these old diesels? I figured I can try waving 400 cash in his face and see. The body work looks decent
For these things to die, it takes neglect. It could be something as simple as a bad glow plug relay or something as drastic as a cracked block.

There has been a fintail for sale with a non-working engine (water pump died, overheated) for a few months. If it is still available when I get back from a trip, I am buying it with the full expectation of sinking at least 1k into it (at bare minimum) to get it to run.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Do you think its worth that much?
I bought a running 79 240D for ~600 bucks. It looks worse than that car you posted however the car runs decently. I have thrown about 2-3 times over what I paid for it into keeping it going over the last couple years but it seems happy enough.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I went to see this over the weekend: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4000367996.html - I had seen this car on cl a couple months back but have some money now.

The previous owner (from the previous cl post) cut a lot of corners. Painted but didn't fix dents or deal with rust and sunk money into a flowmaster, so it sets off car alarms, while the shift linkage has issues and brakes need attention. My 240D has more character for it's own good but it is relatively safe to drive, as opposed to that thing.

This guy paid too much so he is trying to make back some money so no sale with my offer. :geno:

At least I now know exactly what I want, now a matter of waiting for it to pop up/finding it.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 20, 2013

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

:v: I got a 1967 W110 200D and it is fun to drive
:rolleyes: it has much more cancer than I expected
:geno: some previous owner, likely #2 and I am #4, ghetto repaired the body/frame
:gonk: apparently, I should reinforce the cabin floor to make sure I do not fall onto the roadway

:sigh:

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 4, 2013

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I really enjoy my w110, even with it's problems that will cost a disheartening amount of money to fix.

... But mine is diesel and has a manual transmission.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Do a detail and flip it for more than you paid, then upgrade into a nicer W110. Is there really a shortage of Fintails?
200D with 4 on the floor, in black with a red interior, are not commonly for sale

Only time will tell if I will sell it off for another one.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Wait, mercedes makes gas cars? :monocle:

On a serious note, I called the classic center and was happy to find that the price of the (driver side) floor pan for a w110 is not bad (~250 w/2 day shipping), now to hear what it will cost to put it in.

Hearing the price of door seals, however, was cringe worthy; ~800 bucks for the back 2 doors alone. Someone found an OEM set of all 4 in Germany for ~650 shipped, I sense I will be putting my faith in them.

Edit: I figured out the speedo being off is due to someone putting 175/70r13 on the car while the spare is 185/80r13 (the correct size). Looking at 185/80r13 (non trailer) tire prices on the internets makes me sad. I have this weird feeling I am going to put some w123 wheels on it with a comparable size (190/70r14) to actually drive it in a reasonable manner.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 4, 2014

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

So, I bought another W123 today. It is a 1977 300D with a stick shift and it is quite fun to drive.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I wouldn't mind a 240GD or 300GD, so long as it was stick, but holy poo poo are they expensive.

I have a pair of 1977 300D now, I think the one with the stick is older since the VIN is ~15k less than the auto we are original owners on.

edit: look at this long wheelbase 300D that I would buy if I had the money
http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/4446988621.html

edit that should be a reply but doubleposting is less than ideal:
Drove the car ~300 miles this weekend, it is really fun and nearly par with other cars on acceleration. The laundry list of poo poo that is wrong is mostly little crap, some more cosmetic than anything else. The notable issues are the passenger window mechanism needs to be fixed/replaced, the vacuum locks were bypassed via golf tee due to a leak somewhere :iiam:, and eventually the syncros need to be rebuilt on the transmission (instead, I will pull the trans off my 240D and swap it out).

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 19, 2014

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

The window regulator was broken when I got my 300D stick, got around to dealing with that today. Mercedes wanted ~650 for the thing, I got a perfect one at pick n pull for 11.72 cents.

So, the alarm screaming when the car is off, the door is open, and the headlights are on; what causes that lovely tone on an early w123? I assume it is in one of the magical boxes that have one of the only integrated circuits on the car, sadly.

I heard my 79 240D do it 2 or 3 times in a couple years (the wiring was less than ideal on that thing, obviously) and I know I am going to gently caress up eventually on this 77 300D stick. I know the newer cars (~82+) have it, they also have entirely different circuitry and I don't want to mix and match too much.

edit: apparently it lives at the back of the instrument cluster, haven't found anything suggesting I can add it to a 77 though :geno:

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 25, 2014

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I lost a hubcap today. It rolled across 4 lanes of traffic and laid down, then a Volvo tapped it and it went across the last lane into the median shoulder. I went and retrieved it but the blow was too much and I doubt I can make it look decent again. Good thing I have a spare one.

:geno:

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

CharlesM posted:

Oddly enough rockauto offers mirrors for RHD W202s for some reason and not LHD? :confused: Napa only has the mirror glass, I'll need the whole thing.
I'll almost definitely get a used one, but I wanted to check out my options, as the ebay selections are the wrong color / scratched up etc. I found out there's a MB recycler just a few miles up the road from me so I'll check tomorrow.
Yes, a junkyard is your friend on a complete assembly; that said, you are working with something a bit newer than I deal with.

A while back, I found a W123 manual passenger side mirror assembly with broken glass. I called and got a quote for the W123 side mirror glass and that number was simply shocking. I then found out the electric plastic backing on the glass is different than the manual one so I have glass from a wrecking yard and now need to figure out how to adhere it to the plastic from the manual assembly.

Noeland posted:

The vacuum issues are also due to the hard plastic hoses that run throughout the interior. They get old and brittle and some of them are in kind of silly places, like running through the door electrical boot to the vacuum locks. A quick check is to lock the drivers door with the key and count the 5 "thunks".
I have a hard line (the one that goes to the pump) that broke right inside the driver door, gently caress those assholes for doing that poo poo.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Most of the mbtex in my 67 Mercedes is in perfect shape, shouldn't that be enough reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I had an E39 wagon, the injection computer failed and a mechanic was in complete shock that the transmission was still working; it was around either 150k or 200k I believe. gently caress computers and gently caress maintaining an early 2000s BMW.

The manual 1977 300D I purchased almost a year ago is a decent daily driver. It was ~2200 and I talked her down a couple hundred due to the syncros being trashed. I have spent about 2k since at the mechanic and a couple weekends here and there sorting out some issues. I am getting on an even keel with maintenance and expect to get the timing chain done soon. Admittedly, there is a gaping rust hole in the trunk behind the passenger wheel well, the cluster isn't lit and the fuel gauge is wrong due to some electrical gremlins, and the driver seat is on it's way out but things seem to be doing alright in the grand scheme of things. Hell, the cruise control almost works even.