Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

feedmyleg posted:

My dad's looking for a cheap, good vacuum, ideally something right around or under $100. Anyone know of the best one for that price range?

There was a vacuum thread a few months back in the coupons subforum that asked what the best was for the price. And someone had access to consumer reports and this was listed in the top 5 (Mixed in with Dyson and such).

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-WindTu...Tunnel+T-Series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

I had one that was like this, it looks like this may be different but the detachable screw was screwed in to the unit so after a while it would unscrew from the rest of the opener rather than release corks. This was mainly only a problem with rubber corks and it looks like this one might just clip in somehow so it may not be such a big deal.

For the basic knife type corkscrews my problem always seems to be that it's really uncomfortable on the hand if you have a particularly stubborn cork or have to open a lot of bottles in one sitting then it can be kind of annoying.

I find that butterfly corkscrews work the best for all kinds of corks, especially if you have one that's actually a "screw" where it has a threaded, pointed rod rather than just a curled line of metal. They're just as fast as anything else and still fit easily enough in your pocket if you need to carry it around.

But this is just my opinion as someone who is not a bartender but has a bar in his basement and has opened probably hundreds of bottles.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I've never had an umbrella that kept my legs dry. I mostly hate dumping money into them when they invariably turn inside out.
You've obviously never owned a golf umbrella:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Is there another brand of handcream that's like the Neutrogena norwegian formula , but cheap and comes in large(r) volumes?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can someone please recommend me a new electric toothbrush? There are a huge amount of them ranging from like $50 to $300. I would prefer closer to $50 and for it to take Braun Oral-B heads as they are easy to get locally. My current one (with the ruined battery) is a Braun Oral-B Vitality.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Baldbeard posted:

Thanks for all of the blanket responses guys. I have a duvet but it is useless and basically just air. I will look into getting a wool inside. I didn't realize there was so much variety. Whenever I cruise down the bedding section and check out pillows and blankets, it seems like everything is basically a cloud in a bag.

How much money you willing to spend?

Because Pendleton Woolen Mills makes the best wool blankets money can buy.

The downside is that they are extremely expensive. I own a few, one of which is about twenty years old, and they are exceptional blankets. The camp blankets are the warmest and most durable ones, although they aren't terribly heavy because I backpack with one on my frame during winter and spring camping trips.

I was given the king sized Heirloom Classic one by a friend who didnt want it anymore (she got it for her wedding to her now ex-husband and it was monogrammed, her family is riiiiiiich) and while its a nice blanket for putting on a bed, it is not as thick as the camp ones.

Army ones CAN be good. The issue is most surplus is from the late 70's and so those blankets are in pretty haggard shape by now. If you can find recently made ones from Nordic or Alps adjacent countries they can be quite nice, although they often wont have any kind of sewn or stitched fringe which means they fall apart fast if you arent careful.

On the cheaper side of things if you're in certain parts of the US you could also scoot over to your local Rez and see if they're selling any decent blankets. Depends on the area/culture. The one around me is sort of hit or miss on quality these days and a lot of the stuff is just made in China junk being sold to clueless people, but if you find a good handmade blanket place they are usually decent quality.

I have heard pretty decent things about the ComfortTech stuff that Sears sells. Tends to be cheap as well but I don't really like any of their styles save for the Sherpa blankets, but thats of course personal taste.

Why do I know about slash care so much about blankets you ask? I grew up and live in a pretty cold place where everyone is too poor to pay for heat that doesn't run on wood.

You'll do well by looking for companies that target people in the Pacific Northwest and the Northern Territories of Canada. Those are places with a long tradition of warm blanket loving.

El Estrago Bonito has a new favorite as of 11:45 on Dec 27, 2012

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Red_Fred posted:

Can someone please recommend me a new electric toothbrush? There are a huge amount of them ranging from like $50 to $300. I would prefer closer to $50 and for it to take Braun Oral-B heads as they are easy to get locally. My current one (with the ruined battery) is a Braun Oral-B Vitality.

I have a sonicare and I love the thing. I have the FlexCare+ model with the little charging stand that includes a brush sanitizer. It's pretty great and my dentist has said it's doing wonders considering I rarely floss.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

How much money you willing to spend?

Because Pendleton Woolen Mills makes the best wool blankets money can buy.

The downside is that they are extremely expensive. I own a few, one of which is about twenty years old, and they are exceptional blankets. The camp blankets are the warmest and most durable ones, although they aren't terribly heavy because I backpack with one on my frame during winter and spring camping trips.

I was given the king sized Heirloom Classic one by a friend who didnt want it anymore (she got it for her wedding to her now ex-husband and it was monogrammed, her family is riiiiiiich) and while its a nice blanket for putting on a bed, it is not as thick as the camp ones.

You think so? http://www.brahmsmount.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=72BW . $461 for a queen. Wait for a sale/ buy one on clearance. Not expensive enough? https://www.swansislandblankets.com/ There you go.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Actually scratch that, I need a decent sound card. I had one but it broke and the onboard sound is noticeably worse. What is a good sound card for around $60? I have a decent pair of Sennheiser headphones.

fuckpot has a new favorite as of 02:00 on Dec 28, 2012

stuph
Aug 31, 2004

donkey punching my way to the top

couldcareless posted:

I have a sonicare and I love the thing. I have the FlexCare+ model with the little charging stand that includes a brush sanitizer. It's pretty great and my dentist has said it's doing wonders considering I rarely floss.

Also going to highly recommend a Sonicare - it's more than $50, but my wife and I have shared one base for going on 5 years now and it's still going strong. We can charge it up and take it with us for a 4 or 5 day vacation and it'll last the whole trip (though it now starts to bitch on the last day or so). My dentist is always happy with my teeth, though I do get some crap about not flossing (so she recommended a Waterpik - and now my teeth are "perfect").

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Got myself a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas and now that I've rooted it it's quickly becoming my preferred portable device. It occurs now that were I to buy a Bluetooth keyboard, my year-old netbook would be an entirely superfluous device. Could somebody recommend a good keyboard? Ideally it should be small (but as comprehensive in layout as possible), and most importantly quiet, so that I don't annoy people during lectures.

Alternatively, if you can find a good reason for me to keep the netbook, please share it because I'm sure there must be something.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Leovinus posted:

Got myself a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas and now that I've rooted it it's quickly becoming my preferred portable device. It occurs now that were I to buy a Bluetooth keyboard, my year-old netbook would be an entirely superfluous device. Could somebody recommend a good keyboard? Ideally it should be small (but as comprehensive in layout as possible), and most importantly quiet, so that I don't annoy people during lectures.

Alternatively, if you can find a good reason for me to keep the netbook, please share it because I'm sure there must be something.

Out of curiosity, why a Kindle Fire HD instead of a Nexus 7?

But for keyboards, this one by Logitech is pretty good. Also there's a microsoft one that's kinda curved but it's a bit bigger.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Geektox posted:

Out of curiosity, why a Kindle Fire HD instead of a Nexus 7?

Literally knew nothing about the Nexus 7, heard about the Fire HD a while back and thought it sounded pretty good, and the reviews I read didn't compare it with the Nexus. So I guess the answer is "poor research". I have some brand loyalty to Kindle stuff, and it seems like it's difficult to get a Nexus at RRP in the UK at the moment, but there we go, nice to find out I should have bought something else. Edit: I guess once you root the Fire, it has pretty much the same capabilities anyway, and when the CyanogenMod for the Fire HD comes around it'll make it even more so.

Thanks for the recommendation, that Logitech one looks good.

Leovinus has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Dec 29, 2012

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
My mom just got a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas (my not-so-tech savvy dad bought it for her) and I was pretty underwhelmed with it out of the box. Once someone gets CM working stable (or really, any vanilla Android 4.x build) I'm going to root it and flash it for her. The best description I've heard for it is "e-reader with tablet-like features" rather than a tablet that can function as a full-size e-reader.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any good links for how-to guides on rooting a Kindle Fire HD, what you can do with it?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

rotinaj posted:

Anyone have any good links for how-to guides on rooting a Kindle Fire HD, what you can do with it?

The Android Tablet Thread is a good place to start. I think somebody there also just got a Kindle Fire HD to root and flash CM10 on.

For content: Anyone have a recommendation for waterproof-ish shoes that are good for walking on sidewalks and paved paths? It rains a lot in Vancouver and I'd like to get my dad a pair of shoes since he has busted several pairs of normal runners by walking in the the puddled roads.

e: Also, looking for a loud alarm, preferably with some kind of difficult and gimmicky mechanism to snooze and turn off because I'm the heaviest sleeper in the world and the phone just isn't doing it.

Geektox has a new favorite as of 10:48 on Dec 30, 2012

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I'm looking for a wallet with a keychain so I can keep everything important together. It should be capable of holding cash as well as my credit cards and a small amount of change.

So far I've only found one that's able to hold cards and change, but not cash. Not without awkwardly, anyway.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Baldbeard posted:

Can anyone recommend me a heavy but relatively thin blanket to use during the winter? I'm just looking for something to throw on top of my regular thin comforter, and I can't stand the big, poofy, noisy comforters -- which is about the only thing they sell at department stores.

I've been looking for something for years. I finally thought I found what I wanted on amazon, military style wool blankets, but most of them have poor reviews saying they smell terrible and shed fuzz everywhere.

Look at sleeping bags. I used a rectangular one zipped open for many many years. It was made with a fabric shell and if it wasn't for the zipper looked like a comforter. Get something rated for like 30 degrees and you'll probably be pretty toasty with just that even. Not high fashion, but cheap(er) and warm.

E: I had one just like this, if not this model with a different pattern. http://www.wenzelco.com/details.aspx?NavID=417

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

UnfurledSails posted:

I'm looking for a wallet with a keychain so I can keep everything important together. It should be capable of holding cash as well as my credit cards and a small amount of change.

So far I've only found one that's able to hold cards and change, but not cash. Not without awkwardly, anyway.

Are you looking for one of these?

Trifold wallet with keyrings, one pouch for cards, one zippered pouch for change and the top pocket is for bills, loyalty cards, hard candy and other Costanza-like accessories.

I used it for years but it wasn't until I switched back to just a card holder and keeping my change in the car that I realised how bulky and awkward it got making your wallet into your everything holder.

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Dec 30, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

jojoinnit posted:

I used it for years but it wasn't until I switched back to just a card holder and keeping my change in the car that I realised how bulky and awkward it got making your wallet into your everything holder.

Its ok just get a man purse

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.
As for a quick, unsolicited recommendation on headphones, the MC5 Etymotic earbuds are pretty drat hard to beat for the price. http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/mc5.html And right now they are on sale for $59 with free shipping. Great noise cancellation and awesome sound.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Duck and Cover posted:

You think so? http://www.brahmsmount.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=72BW . $461 for a queen. Wait for a sale/ buy one on clearance. Not expensive enough? https://www.swansislandblankets.com/ There you go.

I wasn't implying the price was out of the ordinary, just that good wool blankets will be expensive and if you're a college student you're not going to have the scratch to just drop a couple hundred on one.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any recommendation for a Mouse/Keyboard combo I can use in my bed/on my couch for my media PC on my TV? I would be doing some light gaming on it at most.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Any recommendations for a Bluetooth music receiver similar to the Belkin F8Z492 Music Receiver ? The stereos they'd be used with don't have Bluetooth as an option and I'd rather pay $25-$30 to add it rather than buying a whole new stereo.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I wasn't implying the price was out of the ordinary, just that good wool blankets will be expensive and if you're a college student you're not going to have the scratch to just drop a couple hundred on one.

Well yeah. Wool is expensive.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Someone posted a really nice bag (briefcase-y, maybe? man purse?) in this thread or the "Look what I just bought" thread, it was gray, I might like to buy it for my birthday. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or have recommendations for a good bag? I have a decent brown leather bag I take to work but it's too floppy.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
These beauties?

http://www.booqbags.com/us/briefs/mamba-slim

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

pageerror404 posted:

I have a long car trip coming up and I need something to mount my smartphone so I ca use it as a GPS. It can't be on the windshield in this state. Additionally the air vent mounts won't work because the vents are too loose in my car and it makes them whip around when I take corners.

Have you ever thought about a sandbag mount?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sandbag+gps
Only downsides is they are bulky.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I need a heater for my room. The little POS I got from CVS ain't cutting it.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

b0nes posted:

I need a heater for my room. The little POS I got from CVS ain't cutting it.

I have a Lasko 5144 heater that has been pretty great for me. It keeps my room at the perfect temperature using an automatic temperature setting. It can also heat the room for a set amount of time or you can just leave it on indefinitely at a low or high setting. The heater also has an oscillating function and a remote.

I can't find it anywhere else. I think the model was discontinued, but this looks like a very similar model as my heater.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does Proactiv work?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rotinaj posted:

Does Proactiv work?

No, but drinking enough water and a good diet do.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gyshall posted:

No, but drinking enough water and a good diet do.
I thought it diet affecting acne was mostly a myth?

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

I'm looking for a new showerhead. My current showerhead has a crazy amount of pressure, which is really nice, but it drains hot water really, really quickly. We have a 67 gallon tank that runs out of hot water in about 15 minutes. This would be fine, except my wife takes aggressively long showers, meaning that anyone else that needs to shower has to wait for the tank to recharge.

I'm looking for a low flow showerhead that has both low water usage (obviously) but still maintains decent pressure. If it comes with a detachable wand attachment, that's also a plus but not a requirement.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Can anyone recommend an iron? Just a simple, no frills, old fashioned(?) iron?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

That's the one, thank you!

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

rotinaj posted:

Does Proactiv work?

Kinda, but you can get it yourself much cheaper.

I use:
Clean and Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleaner 10% benzoyl peroxide ($5)
Witch Hazel ($2)
Olay Sensitive Moisturizer ($7)

It has really cleared up my skin which is awesome. And for $15 you get way more product than with Proactiv.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

pageerror404 posted:

I have a long car trip coming up and I need something to mount my smartphone so I ca use it as a GPS. It can't be on the windshield in this state. Additionally the air vent mounts won't work because the vents are too loose in my car and it makes them whip around when I take corners.

I bought my boyfriend this thing. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ENHLCA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02

It's awesome, assuming you have a cig lighter free space- it charges your phone too.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Any recommendation for a Mouse/Keyboard combo I can use in my bed/on my couch for my media PC on my TV? I would be doing some light gaming on it at most.

I'd be interested in something like this too if anyone has a recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Gyshall posted:

jfballin posted:

I'd be interested in something like this too if anyone has a recommendation.

My brother has a Logitech K400 Touch Keyboard he uses for his HTPC, which works alright if your concerns are cost, space and basic functionality.

For even light gaming, you might end up frustrated at the touchpad and want a real mouse, and for bed and couch use, you'll want a trackball. I can't recommend any new manufacture trackball more than the Logitech M570 Trackball. Unfortunately, you'll have to get wireless keyboard advice from someone else.

• Locked thread